Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

16 hours ago, alison said:

Daphnis definitely was: I had it on VHS off the TV.

Alison,

Indeed it was. I too recorded it on to DVD when it was broadcast in 2004 as the final part of the programme to commemorate the Ashton centenary. The cast featured Cojacaru, Bonelli, Nunes and Soares. I was watching it only last week. It is also on You Tube, in six parts but covering the whole ballet. I don't know how long it has been there. I stumbled on it by chance a few months ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/11/2018 at 14:11, toursenlair said:

announced WHERE???

The Cranko is on Amazon UK available for pre-order although hard to find (you need to search "John Cranko blu ray" as the product page doesn't have Romeo and Juliet in the name).  Also easier to see here:  https://www.mdt.co.uk/prokofiev-john-crankos-romeo-and-james-tuggle-c-major-bluray-1.html

Edited by barton22
  • Like 2

On 02/12/2018 at 01:33, alison said:

Well, well, look what I've found: https://shop.roh.org.uk/products/ashton-les-patineurs-divertissements-scenes-de-ballet-dvd-the-royal-ballet

Am I imagining it?  Did the DVD with this picture on the front really contain what it says it does here?  I could have sworn that Les Patineurs came out with something I didn't really want: Beatrix Potter (eek, there's another one for Vol. 2, I suppose), Peter and the Wolf or something.  I love the way Scènes de Ballet is described as featuring Yoshida, Putrov, Edward Watson and Lauren Cuthbertson.  Well, technically, yes: Watson was one of the four supporting men, and Cuthbertson was in the corps, but it's a bit deceptive to phrase it as though they were in leading roles, isn't it?

Weren't the lead roles taken by Yoshida and Putrov?

• 2 weeks later...

A new release of Le Corsair by Vienna State Ballet on Feb 8th 2019 and Wolf Works now available to pre order for February 1st release. A john Neumeier collection also released on 8th February. So save up for after Christmas.

Edited by Stevie

20 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

The video looks good, must look up the reviews, wish the Bolshoi would release their version too!

DVD output from both the Bolshoi and Mariinsky has dried up of late. There are many I wish they would release, including Bright Stream, Legend of Love, Taming of the Shrew etc, etc.

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2018 at 17:55, barton22 said:

The Cranko is on Amazon UK available for pre-order although hard to find (you need to search "John Cranko blu ray" as the product page doesn't have Romeo and Juliet in the name).  Also easier to see here:  https://www.mdt.co.uk/prokofiev-john-crankos-romeo-and-james-tuggle-c-major-bluray-1.html

Excerpt from the newly release, 11th January, Cranko's Romeo & Juliet by Stuttgart Ballet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Angela said:

Cranko's Romeo was on German TV an is still available for streaming, but I'm pretty sure it' won't work outside of Germany:

https://www.swr.de/swr2/kultur-info/film-50-jahre-ballett-romeo-und-julia-von-john-cranko-stuttgarter-ballett/-/id=9597116/did=23157164/nid=9597116/1gjadzc/index.html

It works for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

A quick question for anyone who knows: do most dance releases still come out as DVD and Blu-Ray?  If not, is there greater weighting towards Blu-Ray or DVD - or is it unpredictable which format is chosen?

Most seem to come out in both formats.  I can't think of any that are blu ray only.  The more recent Mariinsky ones come with both DVD and blu ray (my Romeo and Juliet came in that dual format and I gave the DVD to a friend) in the way many Bfi releases do.  A smaller number come out in DVD format only - presumably where the footage is older and not amenable to/of high enough quality for the blu ray format (for example, most of the Bejart discs, although the Beethoven 9 came in both formats).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barton22 said:

Most seem to come out in both formats.  I can't think of any that are blu ray only.  The more recent Mariinsky ones come with both DVD and blu ray (my Romeo and Juliet came in that dual format and I gave the DVD to a friend) in the way many Bfi releases do.  A smaller number come out in DVD format only - presumably where the footage is older and not amenable to/of high enough quality for the blu ray format (for example, most of the Bejart discs, although the Beethoven 9 came in both formats).

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It works for me!

I got it working as well. Reasonable quality picture and sound. Buffered to start with and then worked

A streaming release rather than a disc:  'Driven to Dance' is now on Netflix.  It's a film vehicle for Juliet Doherty, with a basic storyline of 'girl with no support from broken family fights on to audition for a ballet company'. Frankly the script and acting are both absolutely awful, but for hardcore JD fans there are some dance sequences.  One to fast forward through..

On 22/01/2019 at 08:21, Angela said:

Cranko's Romeo was on German TV an is still available for streaming, but I'm pretty sure it' won't work outside of Germany:

https://www.swr.de/swr2/kultur-info/film-50-jahre-ballett-romeo-und-julia-von-john-cranko-stuttgarter-ballett/-/id=9597116/did=23157164/nid=9597116/1gjadzc/index.html

I've just watched this & it worked absolutely fine. I thought it was very good.

• Like 1

I managed to pick up my Woolf Works dvd at the weekend which I’m looking forward to seeing but a few weeks off as I’ve some work underway and my dvd/television remain unconnected.  On the train home I had a quick look at the blurb - very disappointed that there’s no proper cast list and nobody has bothered to provide a useful synopsis.  I think it’s just a reprint of a programme note by the dramaturg - it refers to two Clarissas but of course no reference to who are dancing these parts (or any parts).  Completely unhelpful and I think extremely arrogant. 

I’d raised the need for a more helpful cast list/synopsis with the Royal Opera House sometime ago and was told the information provided would be reviewed when Woolf Works was taken to Australia, not that any aspersions are being cast on Australian audiences.  I’d spoken to a Japanese visitor at the Royal Opera House who’d spent hours researching Virginia Woolf and the novels in order to get a better understanding of what’s going on so she could enjoy the performance more.  I was mightily impressed with all her efforts but why oh why can’t the Royal Opera House provide a useful synopsis/cast sheet?  I suppose there’s a chance the cast details might be displayed on the dvd (which I won’t be able to see for some weeks) but I doubt this will have been done.  Infuriating because the cast referred to themselves by character (certainly in ‘I now, I then’ and I think ‘Tuesday’) but audiences are denied such basic information.  Why?  And how does this deliberate opaqueness fit in with Open Up? 

Despite the moan, I’m very pleased to have the dvd!

• Like 3

You might find that the information is displayed onscreen, I suppose, John.  I remember having the reverse problem when I rented DVDs, because there was never an insert with them (and sometimes the DVD didn't contain any information)!

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

I managed to pick up my Woolf Works dvd at the weekend which I’m looking forward to seeing but a few weeks off as I’ve some work underway and my dvd/television remain unconnected.  On the train home I had a quick look at the blurb - very disappointed that there’s no proper cast list and nobody has bothered to provide a useful synopsis.  I think it’s just a reprint of a programme note by the dramaturg - it refers to two Clarissas but of course no reference to who are dancing these parts (or any parts).  Completely unhelpful and I think extremely arrogant. 

I’d raised the need for a more helpful cast list/synopsis with the Royal Opera House sometime ago and was told the information provided would be reviewed when Woolf Works was taken to Australia, not that any aspersions are being cast on Australian audiences.  I’d spoken to a Japanese visitor at the Royal Opera House who’d spent hours researching Virginia Woolf and the novels in order to get a better understanding of what’s going on so she could enjoy the performance more.  I was mightily impressed with all her efforts but why oh why can’t the Royal Opera House provide a useful synopsis/cast sheet?  I suppose there’s a chance the cast details might be displayed on the dvd (which I won’t be able to see for some weeks) but I doubt this will have been done.  Infuriating because the cast referred to themselves by character (certainly in ‘I now, I then’ and I think ‘Tuesday’) but audiences are denied such basic information.  Why?  And how does this deliberate opaqueness fit in with Open Up? 

Despite the moan, I’m very pleased to have the dvd!

The cast is listed on the back cover of the case and although it doesn't  state who plays what, it does become apparent during the performance. They are also rolled up at the end. The extras provide some good insight into the basis of the production. I don't have the programme, so don't know if it differs. 

The role of Clarissa is shared by Alessandra Ferri and Beatrix Stix-Brunell, in displacement in time, which having watched the performance becomes somewhat like stating the obvious.

After all our campaigning, we now have a release.

• Like 1

From the Guardian

The sense of intersecting emotional dimensions, so characteristic of Woolf’s writing, is incisively realised. The role of Clarissa is shared by Alessandra Ferri and Beatriz Stix-Brunell. Ferri, a former Royal Ballet principal, is now 52 and her dancing – dark eyes, liquescent arms, quietly exquisite line – is heartrending. McGregor’s choreography for her has a fluttering, moth-like delicacy, which is quite unlike anything he has ever done.

This is the link to the full review:  https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/may/17/royal-ballet-woolf-works-review-compellingly-moving

I've edited this post because wholesale copying of articles is not permitted.  A couple of lines or sentences is OK, otherwise please include the link rather than posting the content.  Thank you.  Janet McNulty

Edited by Jan McNulty
To remove excessive quoting
  • Like 2

Many thanks Stevie - I recall there were some much more helpful media articles/reviews when Woolf Works was performed compared to the programme/cast sheet (as far as I know this is the only production where dances clearly dancing named characters are not listed as such on cast lists).  It seems very poor to me that the Royal Opera House chose not to provide the information at the time and continues in such an unhelpful way.  I’m very pleased to see the extras on the dvd - the cinema relay extras were very good.

This was the first production that I started to take particular note of Beatrix Stix-Brunell and of what an outstanding performer she is.

The Royal Ballet have previously admitted that they are well behind in the subject of literature. I take it that this production is a step in the direction of catching up. Its certainly not my subject since I didn't know who Virginia Woolf was until I saw this production in Cinema.

Hence my appreciation of Orlando as an abstract rather than a story from a book.

Edited by Stevie

The official press release about ENB releasing Akram Khan's Giselle on DVD and blu-ray:

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet / Akram Khan’s Giselle to be released on DVD and Blu-Ray

R2lzZWxsZSBFbmQgQm9hcmQuanBn

Hailed as ‘a masterpiece of 21st century dance' [The Mail on Sunday] Akram Khan’s Giselle is released for sale on DVD for the first time from 1 March 2019, giving ballet fans worldwide the opportunity to enjoy this award-winning production. 

Recognised as one of the greatest romantic ballets, Giselle has been re-imagined by celebrated choreographer Akram Khan. His first full length ballet, Khan’s Giselle features set and costume designs from Academy Award-winning designer Tim Yip, known for his work on the hit film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and an adaptation of the original Adolphe Adam score by composer Vincenzo Lamagna, orchestrated by Music Director, Gavin Sutherland and performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic. Giselle also features dramaturgy from Ruth Little and lighting design from Mark Henderson.

Directed for the screen by Ross MacGibbon. the film was commissioned by The Space and recorded live at the Liverpool Empire in October 2017.

English National Ballet Artistic Director and Lead Principal Tamara Rojo dances the role of Giselle, one of a community of migrant workers cast out of their jobs in a condemned garment factory. First Soloist James Streeter performs in the role of Albrecht, Lead Principal Jeffrey Cirio performs as Hilarion, and First Artist of the Company, Stina Quagebeur performs in the role of Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis. 

The critically acclaimed production has toured to eight cities in the UK and internationally, and has been the recipient of numerous awards including the South Bank Sky Arts Award for Dance, Tanz Magazine Award for Production of the Year, Manchester Theatre Award for Dance, Critics Circle National Dance Award for Best Classical Choreography for Akram Khan. The ballet also helped English National Ballet earn an Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance.

Akram Khan’s Giselle was co-produced by Manchester International Festival and Sadler’s Wells, London, and supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.  The film was commissioned by The Space, the digital agency which supports UK arts organisations to grow their audiences across digital, cinema and broadcast platforms.  

The DVD is distributed by Opus Arte and will be available internationally on Amazon, and is available for pre-order in the UK now. Release dates and stockists for the DVD in the UK, US and Germany are listed below, and further release dates (including for France and Japan) will be added.

UK release – 1 March 2019

Available to purchase at:

Amazon

Presto Music

Europadisc

HMV

US release – 22 March 2019

Arkiv Music

Germany – 29 March 2019

JPC

Notes to Editors

About English National Ballet 

English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.

About Akram Khan 

Akram Khan is one of the most celebrated dance artists today, building his reputation on the success of imaginative, highly accessible and profoundly moving productions such as XENOSUntil the LionsKaashDESHVertical RoadGnosis and zero degrees. Khan’s choreography is the embodiment of shared exploration across multiple disciplines and cultures. His collaborations include world class dance artists such as Sylvie Guillem, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and Israel Galván, visual artists Tim Yip, Antony Gormley and Anish Kapoor, and music artists Nitin Sawhney, Kylie Minogue and Florence and the Machine. A highlight of his career was the creation of a section for the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony that was received with unanimous acclaim. Khan’s baptism into the ballet world was in 2014, as part of English National Ballet’s triptych Lest We Forget. His award-winning piece Dust pathed the way to making the critically acclaimed reimaging of Giselle.

About The Space

The Space is a commissioning and development organisation, established by Arts Council England and the BBC to support greater digital access to the arts. The Space is committed to supporting and facilitating the UK arts sector to realise its digital ambitions. The organisation commissions arts projects, offers online audience and digital skills development, and provides a production and distribution pipeline to ensure that these projects reach a wide and diverse range of audiences. www.thespace.org

About Opus Arte

Opus Arte is an award-winning provider of classical music and theatrical content, releasing around twenty-five titles per year on DVD, Blu-ray, CD, TV and online. Opus Arte is proud to be associated with many of the world’s finest arts organisations, including the Royal Opera House, Glyndebourne, Dutch National Opera & Ballet, Teatro Real, Shakespeare’s Globe, and the Royal Shakespeare Company. Founded as an independent label in 1999, Opus Arte is now part of the Naxos group, the world’s largest independent producer and distributor of Classical Music.

Please visit www.opusarte.com

About Manchester International Festival

Manchester International Festival (MIF) is the world’s first festival of original, new work and special events, staged every two years in Manchester, UK. The next one takes place 4 – 21 July 2019, including commissions and events from Yoko Ono, Idris Elba and Kwame Kwei-Armah, Skepta and Janelle Monáe.

Giselle was commissioned as a Trailblazer for The Factory, the landmark cultural space being developed in Manchester, led by MIF in partnership with Manchester City Council. It was the first in a series of pre-Factory events being presented ahead of the building’s opening in 2021, which illustrate the variety, ambition and scale of work that will be created there. 

For more information about MIF and The Factory visit the website: mif.co.uk

About Sadler’s Wells

Sadler's Wells is a world-leading creative organisation dedicated to dance in all its forms. With over three centuries of theatrical heritage and a year-round programme of performances and learning activities, it is the place where artists come together to create dance, and where people of all backgrounds come to experience it – to take part, learn, experiment and be inspired.

Audiences of over half a million come to its London theatres each year, with many more enjoying its touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world, and accessing its content through digital channels.

Sadler's Wells commissions, produces and presents more new dance work than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, it has helped to bring over 160 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving its 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today.

For further information visit www.sadlerswells.com

• Like 4

I watched my Woolf Works Blu-Ray yesterday, or at least the first 2 ballets, it certainly cleans up the hazy lighting and lasers, and I don't even have a full HD TV, there is more depth in the colour and the music sounds better too. Agree that there is not enough information in the booklet which is in very small print anyway,  I'm still confused sometimes, perhaps we're supposed to be.