Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

What is the best way of searching for ballet on Amazon these days? You used to be able to search under 'genre' and find ballet as a genre then you could narrow it down to 'most recent,' 'forthcoming' etc and it was great but as they seem to have done away with ballet as a genre I rather struggle to find new items these days. if you just put ballet in as a search it often doesn't bring new items up. (It didn't bring Onegin up. I had to search for it by title but if you don't know it's there to search for you're not going to find it.)

The are all listed under category 'Performing Arts'. Always were and always are.

And the Bolshoi now release another  blu-ray boxset on 9th November, which in the unlikely event that you don't already have them all, is a bargain at £34.99 for the four great productions, La Bayadere, Marco Spada, Swan lake and The Golden Age. Will have cost me over £80 to get these four separately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/09/2018 at 19:52, Angela said:

What?! Not in Germany. We had a cinema screening of it last Sunday and it will be on arte TV on Dec. 16, but there's yet no DVD announced on amazon.de. You can see the cover and a trailer (scroll down) here:  http://www.ballett-im-kino.de/

It is now listed on Amazon.de for a release date for DVD and Blu-ray of 16th November. A date worth waiting for I am sure. 

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 2

The Bernstein Celebration on blu-ray is a must. Even if you are not fond of Bernstein, this transcends musical taste. The top menu makes it very easy to cross between the extras for each of the three pieces and on to the next and is very flexible. The quality of picture and sound is stunning on large screens and good sound systems, as is the camerawork.  Corybantic Games is last in series, although it is easy to play them in any order, my view was that in this order, I was saving best until last. One member said she couldn't wait to see Tierney Heap in this production and she won't be disappointed, nor can there be any disappointment with any of the vast casting used. The costumes, settings, choreography are  superb as you will know from the recent live performance or Cinema streaming, for which this item appears to be a precise reproduction. Miss Lamb is at her 'cheeky' best in The Age of Anxiety and also gets in on the act with Yugen.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevie said:

It is now listed on Amazon.de for a release date for DVD and Blu-ray of 16th November. A date worth waiting for I am sure. 

Thank you, pre ordered it as soon as I saw your post!

13 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

would like it for Yugen but that's it! Hopefully they'll put it on TV at some point.

Agree! Hopefully they will show it in german TV too (I kinda doubt it) but my sister in law will record it for sure if they put it on TV in England...

5 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

May I ask why? Is there any reason why it doesn´t get a release? It was filmed and released in the cinemas, so I really don´t understand why there shouldn´t be a DVD/Blu Ray...

The topic was thoroughly exhausted some months ago. Making it brief, the rights were sold to c-major who elected to use the TV distribution and sound recording rights, but nothing else. You can check with them directly or through their website, but I am sure they will confirm, as they did before that there is no intention to release a DVD, it is merely HDTV.

18 minutes ago, Stevie said:

The topic was thoroughly exhausted some months ago. Making it brief, the rights were sold to c-major who elected to use the TV distribution and sound recording rights, but nothing else. You can check with them directly or through their website, but I am sure they will confirm, as they did before that there is no intention to release a DVD, it is merely HDTV.

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me. Still finding it weird, honestly. Aren´t normally the rights not sold to c-major so this is a complete suprise turn by them? Or maybe c- major will sell the rights for the DVD to someone else. I mean, it is about an opportunity to make money I can´t believe that no one will see this chance...

55 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me

I was around, was waiting for the DVD and missed the whole discussion!

Time to explore, uh, other channels, I guess. 

1 minute ago, alison said:

Me too.  I can't find any other references to c-major on this forum, either.

I cant remember the heading, but a whole lot of interactive debate on this topic, which I was drawn into.  I had contacted ROH marketing and advised the rights sold to cmajor. Someone had seen the attached and assumed it was for a DVD release. However you will see that it is an advertisement for the HDTV distribution. Cmajor say they only have the intent to distribute the TV rights and the sound track. So speculate, hope, for the future, whatever, but there is no current plan to release the DVD.

By all means contact cmajor directly and let them know your feelings.

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/roh-woolf-works-a02050103/.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I cant remember the heading, but a whole lot of interactive debate on this topic, which I was drawn into.  I had contacted ROH marketing and advised the rights sold to cmajor. Someone had seen the attached and assumed it was for a DVD release. However you will see that it is an advertisement for the HDTV distribution. Cmajor say they only have the intent to distribute the TV rights and the sound track.

Found it........

24 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Yes we know, all that was part of the previous debate. However, the Richter score and the TV rights iS not what the members are seeking, its a DVD release

I have just made a second application to cmajor, for the release of Woolf Works on DVD and Blu-ray. I suggest that all interested parties make a direct request to them in the hope that they will see market potential. Don't think there is anything more to discuss at the moment,but will share any reply.

After this flurry of activity again on Woolf Works, I have decide to stay in and watch it again tonight, instead of going around to the pub. It is an exceptional production and the TV recording is in HD. I can open a bottle of wine and chill without going out into the cold. Anyone wish to join me, all welcome.

Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

I'm really pleased that the Bernstein Celebration has been issued (especially as I didn't catch it at the ROH).  I hope it sells well enough for them to continue releasing less well known works. 

I can't think of any other company releasing triple bills like this - not with any sort of regularity anyway (except the gem that was NYCB in Paris).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charliewise said:

I'm really pleased that the Bernstein Celebration has been issued (especially as I didn't catch it at the ROH).  I hope it sells well enough for them to continue releasing less well known works. 

I can't think of any other company releasing triple bills like this - not with any sort of regularity anyway (except the gem that was NYCB in Paris).

Not a lot as you say, but there are some triple and mixed bills out there which are certainly worth having in a collection

On DVD and Blu-Ray
Alonzo King Lines Ballet – ‘Triangle of the Squinches/ Sheherazade/Dust and Light’
POB – A Tribute to Jerome Robbins – ‘En Sol/In the Night/The Concert’
Nederlands Dance Theatre – ‘Jiri Killians – Three Ballets’
American Dance Theatre – Alvin Ailey – ‘Chroma/Grace/Takadema/Revelations’

And on DVD only
The Kirov Celebrates Nijinsky – ‘Sheherazade/Le Spectre de la Rose/The Palovtsian Dances/Firebird’
Devine Dancers Live from Prague – ‘Manon/Raymonda/Memoire/La Fille du Pharoen/Sleeping Beauty and others’
Great Dancers of our Time – ‘Varied mixed bill’
Hans Van Manen Festival – ‘Mixed Bill’
Edited by Stevie

On 02/11/2018 at 14:12, Esmeralda said:

Thank you for your explanation, I am afraid I am not long enough to be on this forum so this discussion escaped me. Still finding it weird, honestly. Aren´t normally the rights not sold to c-major so this is a complete suprise turn by them? Or maybe c- major will sell the rights for the DVD to someone else. I mean, it is about an opportunity to make money I can´t believe that no one will see this chance...

Esmeralda, a tech type has tried to give a possible explanation. If this is right, there could be a technical reason as well as a commercial one. This is it, although I don't pretend to understand in the least.

It says it is filmed in HDTV, which is almost universally a lower resolution (about like
DVD's 720x480). There is no way to take a 5GB MPEG-2 (which is the size
of a 1 hour HDTV show with commercials, null packets, and PSIP removed) and
compress using MPEG-4 and maintain full resolution and quality with a
resulting 350MB file size.
MPEG-4 could do the job in about 2-3GB and maintain full resolution and
quality. This is a *huge* savings in space, but it's still a really big

file .
Whatever the reason, it appears that all we have at the moment is hope. Just keep fingers crossed. Hope this helps.
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2018 at 22:20, Vanartus said:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! It must happen....

Really sorry that you cant be helped with your student education. There is a film  Mrs Dallaway with Vanessa Redgrave on DVD and a  few clips  of Royal Ballet  production on youtube, which may be of some help.

8 hours ago, Stevie said:

Esmeralda, a tech type has tried to give a possible explanation. If this is right, there could be a technical reason as well as a commercial one. This is it, although I don't pretend to understand in the least.

It says it is filmed in HDTV, which is almost universally a lower resolution (about like
DVD's 720x480). There is no way to take a 5GB MPEG-2 (which is the size
of a 1 hour HDTV show with commercials, null packets, and PSIP removed) and
compress using MPEG-4 and maintain full resolution and quality with a
resulting 350MB file size.
MPEG-4 could do the job in about 2-3GB and maintain full resolution and
quality. This is a *huge* savings in space, but it's still a really big

file .

Thanks for posting this, Stevie (not that I really understand it!). But I would just wonder why this would apply to WW and not to so many other works where it has been possible to produce DVDs? Was WW filmed in a different resolution? Just thinking aloud.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, charliewise said:

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

• Like 1

Thank you Stevie, for posting the technical infos! I am afraid, I don´t understand them either😳

I just asked me the same questions as bridiem...Maybe we wouldn´t ask these questions, if we would understand the technical infos🙂

Ah, the Amazon problem...I have often the same thoughts - do I support the local shops etc. or buy it cheaper at Amazon...When I buy things from RB at the german Amazon page it is cheaper for me as if I would buy it at the shop at ROH.

• Like 1