Upcoming DVD/Blu-ray Releases

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I hope it sells well, too, but the ROH itself is hardly a competitive sales outlet for recordings, when it charges £33.05 for this Blu-Ray, (£29.95 plus  £3.10 standard delivery) whilst at the same time Amazon are selling it for £25.29 with their free delivery option (which I find usually arrives in a day or two despite Amazon allowing for a longer period).

Even buying it at the ROH shop, with a 10% Friends' discount, it would be £26.95. 

Similarly with books - we recently bought "Ballet: The Definitive Illustrated Story" from the ROH shop at £22.50 after  Friends' discount, only to find  iit selling on Amazon for £16.82 with free delivery. The only plus is that we could ensure it was a nice copy and not battered by the delivery system.

Bernstein Celebration Blu-Ray  is currently available on ebay uk at £7.78 (Auction) plus £5 p&p, brand new and sealed., from seller classicalmusiccollector . He despatches from Australia, multi regional, very reliable and always arrive within 10 days. Its best to shop around, but I did what others did, dived in to buy it early, despite knowing it would come up at this price

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

Thank you Stevie, for posting the technical infos! I am afraid, I don´t understand them either😳

I just asked me the same questions as bridiem...Maybe we wouldn´t ask these questions, if we would understand the technical infos🙂

Ah, the Amazon problem...I have often the same thoughts - do I support the local shops etc. or buy it cheaper at Amazon...When I buy things from RB at the german Amazon page it is cheaper for me as if I would buy it at the shop at ROH.

All these are assumptions, but if the Television rights were sold, then they would not have needed to film it in higher definition than HDTV and if there was no intention to transfer it to DVD, why pay the higher production costs. For Cinema streaming it does not need the higher compression, because it is done digitally and not transferred to disk. It is good to ask questions and to seek out answers. The outcome however is the same, it appears we are not getting it distributed, whether we like it or not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

Thanks for posting this, Stevie (not that I really understand it!). But I would just wonder why this would apply to WW and not to so many other works where it has been possible to produce DVDs? Was WW filmed in a different resolution? Just thinking aloud.

It just doesn't apply to Woolf Works, there are many similar examples where productions have not been distributed on DVD,for much the same reason. MariinskyTV have filmed many Ballets for their TV programes, which have not been released on DVD. Many of which can be viewed on youtube where they have been placed without challenging copyright. They are good when viewed on a monitor, but when viewed on a large screen smart TV, the lower resolution is apparent.

Royal Ballet live streamed Manon in October 2014 but never released a DVD or Blue Ray, despite great demand. We were advised that there was not a sufficient quality recording for this. Bolshoi, ENB, Northern Ballet have also streamed works through other media, but not issued them on DVD. Hope this helps with your reluctant acceptance.
Edited by Stevie
  • Like 1

DVD players can be had for £20 and under in the UK.  It's hardly a major investment these days, and if the ROH and others are going to continue issuing recordings on the medium, then it would seem sensible for ballet/opera fans to have one - or even so they can play the "legacy" recordings they already have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

DVD players can be had for £20 and under in the UK.  It's hardly a major investment these days, and if the ROH and others are going to continue issuing recordings on the medium, then it would seem sensible for ballet/opera fans to have one - or even so they can play the "legacy" recordings they already have.

1 hour ago, alison said:

It appears that this thread has somehow been hi jacked. It started as a question of why 'Woolf Works' was not being distributed on DVD and now it appears to have degenerated into the legalities of streaming, the cost of DVD players and other matters. It would be useful if a focus on the subject matter could be maintained without racing off at a tangent.

18 hours ago, Stevie said:

Royal Ballet live streamed Manon in October 2014 but never released a DVD or Blue Ray, despite great demand. We were advised that there was not a sufficient quality recording for this. Bolshoi, ENB, Northern Ballet have also streamed works through other media, but not issued them on DVD. Hope this helps with your reluctant acceptance.

Does this mean we will not get a DVD of a Manon more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta? Surely not!  

I'd thought we had been going to get a new Manon, or was I imagining it?  I'd also assumed that all RB broadcasts were of the same basic quality, technically speaking.  I could understand recordings being rejected e.g. because they came out too dark, or something, or because something was deemed wrong with the performance.  Yet they managed to release a recording of last year's Ashton "Dream" bill based on one performance which, by all indications, was never intended to be filmed for DVD ...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Presumably from the Lamb/Muntagirov live cinema screening ?

No, the 2014 streaming example given, was Nunez and Bonelli. Will just have to wait and see if anything in the future is released from the recent Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming.

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

No, the 2014 streaming example given, was Nunez and Bonelli. Will just have to wait and see if anything in the future is released from the recent Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming.

I was referring to the Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming as the most likely source of any new Manon disc (more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta).

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I was referring to the Lamb/Muntagirov  streaming as the most likely source of any new Manon disc (more up-to-date than Rojo/Acosta).

There is no response from official sources to the many requests for a release on DVD and Blu-Ray. So whilst a definite no has not been extracted, I prefer to say that it is a possibility and we can hope rather than assume it is definite or likely.

The only definite source on Blu-Ray at the moment is the POB version, with Roberto Bolle and with Aurelie Dupont's farewell performance. One could debate if it is better or worse, but it is still good. What is not certain is whether a release so soon after the POB release would be seen as an adverse impact potential sales.

7 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I’m pretty sure I have seen somewhere that the Lamb/Muntagirov Manon is to be released - when, who knows.

Can you find the source, I have trawled through all the comments on the RB website and found no response to the question. Also asked a CG marketing assistant and told no news on that subject yet.

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'd asked Opus Arte about Woolf Works as I'd heard there was some activity.  Very pleased to have received an email just now:

"Opus Arte will be releasing WOOLF WORKS in February next year."

Great news and a lot of happy people around.😰

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'd asked Opus Arte about Woolf Works as I'd heard there was some activity.  Very pleased to have received an email just now:

"Opus Arte will be releasing WOOLF WORKS in February next year."

My dear colleagues heard a shout of joy just now😄! Thank you for bringing such great news!

• Like 3

I think it will be well worth keeping an eye on Opus Arte's website.  They're updating the site and are expecting to include news of future releases.  I have no knowledge at all on this but I'm rather hoping that Opus Arte are able to provide the DVD services of previous years that clearly many people would like.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Interesting that Opus Arte, despite being "the Royal Opera House's multi-platform arts production and distribution company" provides "Purchase From" links to Amazon and Presto, but not to ROH's own shop !

It appears that this news is 'hot off the press'. Just spoken to someone at ROH marketing and they themselves have only just heard about the release. Let's just rejoice in that it does appear to be getting a release. I wonder if they have seen the requests from this forum ?

Edited by Stevie

1 hour ago, Esmeralda said:

My dear colleagues heard a shout of joy just now😄! Thank you for bringing such great news!

Esmiralda, where did the shout of joy that you heard come from. I am sure 😉that you cant have heard me from Germany ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think Esmeralda means that she shouted for joy when she read JohnS’s post!  

That`s what I meant, thank you!

7 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I guess so, a very happy punter indeed. Hope it all becomes a reality for her.

Well, I hope for everyone who waited for this DVD it will be true😊!

I don't know if most people have seen this production and hence what to expect. However for anyone who has not, then they are in for a real  treat and a ride. The Max Richter score takes us through some magical moments, dance performances and choreography. The second act adrenaline rush ends with whoops and holler's from a breathless, approving audience and Osipova demonstrates how to kick her forehead with backward kicks. How is that possible ? Worth the wait I think.

• Like 1