Summer Schools 2016 feedback

BlueLou

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD and her friends arrived this morning at York Dance Assembly summer school, and were delighted with their timetables :) They were all so excited to go and explore, that they barely said goodbye!

We dropped DD off yesterday at York Dance Assembly too and it's her first summer school experience so we were all a bit nervous. The timetable for the juniors looked so much fun - swimming and T shirt decorating and make up tutorials and movie nights - hope they can squeeze in some ballet??!!

DD and I happened to be standing next to another girl who was there for the first time too and by coincidence they were wearing the same jogging bottoms?

THE SAME JOGGING BOTTOMS.

Well..that was it.

No other introductions necessary.

I was immediately surplus to requirements and summarily dismissed till Friday.

Edited by Petalviolet
  • Like 21

We dropped DD off yesterday at York Dance Assembly too and it's her first summer school experience so we were all a bit nervous. The timetable for the juniors looked so much fun - swimming and T shirt decorating and make up tutorials and movie nights - hope they can squeeze in some ballet??!!

DD and I happened to be standing next to another girl who was there for the first time too and by coincidence they were wearing the same jogging bottoms?

THE SAME JOGGING BOTTOMS.

Well..that was it.

No other introductions necessary.

I was immediately surplus to requirements and summarily dismissed till Friday.

Also dropped my dd and her friend off at York Dance Assembly yesterday. It’s her 2nd year. Don’t worry, they do plenty of ballet too! They do their more serious classes during the day, then fun activities (like swimming, movies, and street dance) are after dinner. Dd’s timetable for yesterday ran through until 8.30pm! Last year the presentation on Friday was lovely. When we arrived there were tea and sandwiches and cake, and we could view and order group photographs which had been taken during the week, followed by an impressive show. 

• Like 6

My dd has just,come back from cymru in Wales,it has been a terribly sad week for both of us.

When we arrived last Monday my dd was told, when prompted to,go around the corner and it is in there somewhere, with no idea where to go, no times of classes or even what they are doing.

The teacher was bullish and making personal remarks to students, no one talked to my dd, not one word all week.

Then last Thursday I got a text off my dd to collect her as it is too much, I found her in a corner so upset that everyone just walked by her

I tried to find someone, and was told by the cleaner to sign her out.

Since then, no one has phoned to see where my dd is, there was a show in the theatre last sat,but with forty students in a class suppose they do not care, I am so upset for my dd it should of been a chance of a life time instead it was a nightmare

No one talked to her all week no one new her name, or even cared,the teacher had anger

issues,shouting,and making personal remarks at students

40 students in one class is way too many. Even the best of teachers would struggle to observe each participant and ensure that exercises were being done correctly, and heaven help anyone who was struggling. Given the amount that summer schools cost, its a reasonable expectation that class sizes should be capped to allow adequate personal attention.

My dd was at Ballet Cymru last week. There was not 40 students in one class! There were 15 girls and 2 boys in the lower group and 21 ish girls in the upper group! And then there were company members joining in/helping students! The only time there would have seemed like 40 would have been in the stage rehearsal for the show! The teacher in question was extremely nice with the lower group. Anyone who is at vocational school would understand the teachers frustration when 'asking loudly' for students input! Peoples/young adults views can seem very distorted. This was not a 'children's' summer school but more for people above the age of 15 at either Intermediate/advanced or pre-professional level and therefore they were taught accordingly.

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 3

Ah, that makes sense, Dancing Unicorn. All performance-based summer schools my dd has done do have a large group coming together at the end for full-cast run-through; that's normal. 21 and 17 students respectively in each group is not a bad number at all.

My DD recently did the week at NKSS in Rambert Studios in Southbank.  She really enjoyed her entire time there despite 2 of the teachers requiring translators.  I think that added to the whole experience for her.  She really loved Natalia Kremen and the couple of the male teachers.  Interesting as she has never been taught by males before.  There was a mix of classes and teachers.

The only concern I had (that she didn't) was when she reported back to me she had done a whole class En Pointe... in ballet flats as she isn't in pointe shoes yet.  (the whole class was in same situ).  It was apparently great fun and perfectly fine as they were all holding the barre!  I'm not overly convinced this was a good thing but I am not dance trained at all.

The class demo on the Saturday showed how hard all the dancers had worked that week and some of the seniors REALLY stood out - I couldn't take my eyes off one particular dancer LOL

We would definitely look to do this one again.

DoesShe mean they did a point class on Demi which is standard pointe preparation or for a dancer recovering from injury etc.

Surely she can't mean they held themselves up onto their toes?

I was just wondering the same!

• Like 1

I'm sure that the class was safe as it was part of the Natalia Kremen summer school but I confess that I wouldn't have been happy had my DD been part of it. It was bad enough trying to stop her standing en pointe at the barre as a very little girl, especially when she used to tell me and her horrified teacher 'but it doesn't hurt, I'm being a big girl'; if a recognised summer school had endorsed it we would have had even more of a struggle!

• Like 3

Hi I emailed cymru and the lady phoned me back to apologise to my dd she felt horrible for my dd,she told me the man in question was a supply teacher,and normally,there teacher,s are friendly.

She also apologised for too many children in the class,sorry the exacted number was 21 students 12 company dancers,and 6 kids that got moved up,and was very young and struggled a bit.

I went on to say my dd left on Thursday very ill and upset,and have had no contact to ask where she is at,to be told the graduate course is for older students who come and go as they are at an age to do so.

It worries me to think no one is looking out for these students ,she went on to say next year the policy will change to make every student safe,they are also refunding my money.

Thank you everyone for your support,my dd is at york assembly this week ,she phoned me to say the children are fantastic the teachers are amazing ,the kindness and care is outstanding,also I am told the food is yummy

• Like 20

My DD took part in Ballet Boost summer course at Pineapple two weeks ago. This week was fantastic. 11-5.30 every day, with ballet class, followed by rep or pointe in the morning, then a workshop in afternoon, (West Side Story, Fosse style class, contemporary, Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty) plus pilates (most days) and yoga every day. Guest teachers for her group, lower seniors, included Sarah Wildor, Peter Parker and Wayne Sleep. 

She came home every day buzzing and exhausted, having felt she was challenged and had learned loads, plus made lots of friends. The standard was very high, (lots of vocational students attended), and the whole course was extremely well run.

It isn't residential, but is in the heart of London, so for anyone with access to London it is definitely worth looking at.

• Like 7

My DD took part in Ballet Boost summer course at Pineapple two weeks ago. This week was fantastic. 11-5.30 every day, with ballet class, followed by rep or pointe in the morning, then a workshop in afternoon, (West Side Story, Fosse style class, contemporary, Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty) plus pilates (most days) and yoga every day. Guest teachers for her group, lower seniors, included Sarah Wildor, Peter Parker and Wayne Sleep. 

She came home every day buzzing and exhausted, having felt she was challenged and had learned loads, plus made lots of friends. The standard was very high, (lots of vocational students attended), and the whole course was extremely well run.

It isn't residential, but is in the heart of London, so for anyone with access to London it is definitely worth looking at.

That's great to hear. :) Was there also an Easter Ballet Boost or am I remembering wrongly? If so I will definitely look at this for next year.

Hi Amos, would be interested to know what fees are for these days & how far in advance they need to be booked. Also if just one can be done as opposed to a week (we are quite a distance & expensive early am trainfare away) Thanks in advance....

• Like 2

Hi Amos, would be interested to know what fees are for these days & how far in advance they need to be booked. Also if just one can be done as opposed to a week (we are quite a distance & expensive early am trainfare away) Thanks in advance....

It does get booked up, Emma does sometimes allow people to do part of the week if they have other commitments so you would be best off contacting her through Ballet Boost and speaking to her direct. IT starts at 11am so that people can travel in hopefully at off peak time.