Summer Schools 2016 feedback

BlueLou

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD did ballet boost at Easter she really enjoyed it and would def do it again . Wish we had done the sum sch instead of Russian masters !!

Yes, DD did the easter course as well.

Oh, why do you say you would have preferred she had done this summer school instead of RM?

• Like 1

Yes, DD did the easter course as well.

Oh, why do you say you would have preferred she had done this summer school instead of RM?

If you read back through the thread you will see why double trouble said that. She posted her review a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

My DD took part in Ballet Boost summer course at Pineapple two weeks ago. This week was fantastic. 11-5.30 every day, with ballet class, followed by rep or pointe in the morning, then a workshop in afternoon, (West Side Story, Fosse style class, contemporary, Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty) plus pilates (most days) and yoga every day. Guest teachers for her group, lower seniors, included Sarah Wildor, Peter Parker and Wayne Sleep.

She came home every day buzzing and exhausted, having felt she was challenged and had learned loads, plus made lots of friends. The standard was very high, (lots of vocational students attended), and the whole course was extremely well run.

It isn't residential, but is in the heart of London, so for anyone with access to London it is definitely worth looking at.

My DD also attended Emma's Ballet Boost and had a fantastic week. I would echo all that Amos73 has said. The start/finish times worked really well. The days were long enough to provide enough content and challenge without exhaustion. Finishing each day with stretching/yoga was an inspired decision on Emma's part. DD thoroughly enjoyed all of the ballet classes, both technique and repertoire. She also loved the musical theatre sessions. The standard across the board was high and the teaching inspiring. I was able to watch a few classes across the week and was impressed by all that I saw. The only thing that could have been improved on was class size. I was expecting the classes to be capped at a max of 20 but there seemed to be quite a few more than this in the classes that I saw. I think that a smaller group would have enabled more individual attention and corrections from the excellent teachers there. Overall, DD had a marvellous experience and she would attend again, in fact we have already signed up for Easter Ballet Boost!

• Like 4

If you read back through the thread you will see why double trouble said that. She posted her review a couple of days ago.

Ah, sorry, yes have read back now. Sorry to hear about your DD's less than satisfactory experience Double Trouble. 

Thanks Amos , wouldn't of been upset if we had just decided to do that sum sch but u norm had to send video of dd but we were told we didn't have to ! So obviously thought she would be up to standard !! It really was money down drain !! And upsetting as before this we had respect for the teacher ! X

Somewhat belatedly (I've been away for a few days) I wanted to offer an alternative viewpoint of the Ballet Cymru summer school.  My child was in the senior group and from Monday onwards raved about the teacher, who he rated as one of the best he has ever had.  Apparently he's incredibly well regarded in Australia and New Zealand, and to have taken class with him is regarded as a great opportunity.

Admittedly my son was, for those of a certain dance vintage, a huge admirer of Patrick Hinson, and I gather the approach was somewhat similar, but my son felt he learnt a great deal and felt empowered to really push himself to his limits.  He also really enjoyed interacting with members of the company, and the welcome they received from the whole company, including the director.

Edited by meadowblythe
  • Like 4

Just got ds back from a week at OPES. He was a bit nervous to start with and found the first evening very awkward as at his level its dominated by a particular vocational school and he felt they didn't want to mix with others initially. However, by the end of the first day he had settled in and found the other attendees very friendly. It ended up being a fantastic week for him, lots of great work, learnt loads of pdd, great corrections and loads of help (both from teachers and more advanced dancers) and attention. He said without a shadow of a doubt he wants to go next year as he felt he learnt masses and had a lovely time too.

• Like 11

Just back from York Assembly summer school. Dd and her friend both had a fabulous week. Generally a high standard. Classes in ballet, contemporary, jazz and musical theatre. Excellent teachers - all of the students particularly love the contemporary teacher Antonio Borelli! Impressive choreography for all of the show dances. Evening activities included street dance and swimming. Fantastic food! 

• Like 4

Just back from York Assembly summer school. Dd and her friend both had a fabulous week. Generally a high standard. Classes in ballet, contemporary, jazz and musical theatre. Excellent teachers - all of the students particularly love the contemporary teacher Antonio Borelli! Impressive choreography for all of the show dances. Evening activities included street dance and swimming. Fantastic food! 

DD and her friends also had a brilliant week! I now need to find out the date for next year, as we will obviously have to arrange our whole summer holidays around it!

DD has already been chatting to a couple of new friends on instagram !!!

• Like 2

DoesShe mean they did a pointe class on Demi which is standard pointe preparation or for a dancer recovering from injury etc.

Surely she can't mean they held themselves up onto their toes?

Edited to correct spelling

Many, many (over 30 years ago !) before we started pointe work at vocational school, our excellent and very experienced teacher would not only give us foot strengthening exercises on the floor (sitting down) but also at the barre, barefoot, rising on to full pointe (with the support of the barre). Maybe that's why we wore out less pointe shoes in those days - stronger feet, be they banana or not...

• Like 2

Many, many (over 30 years ago !) before we started pointe work at vocational school, our excellent and very experienced teacher would not only give us foot strengthening exercises on the floor (sitting down) but also at the barre, barefoot, rising on to full pointe (with the support of the barre). Maybe that's why we wore out less pointe shoes in those days - stronger feet, be they banana or not...

Ellie my teacher also had us do this, but only ever on 2 feet and always facing the barre with both hands on it, and straight up and straight down again. I do it too when teaching pre-pointe.

I think this issue with the post above is that it appears as though the students involved were doing more than this which is a lot more risky.

• Like 2

Ellie my teacher also had us do this, but only ever on 2 feet and always facing the barre with both hands on it, and straight up and straight down again. I do it too when teaching pre-pointe.

I think this issue with the post above is that it appears as though the students involved were doing more than this which is a lot more risky.

Yes, always facing the barre and very slow and controlled. Never in the centre. 

Also back from York Assembly and DD loved it! It was her first experience of a residential summer school and she's just turned nine so a little younger than the other girls - if anyone reading this is thinking about trying a boarding option but is worried I would highly recommend this - great pastoral, facilities,food etc but it's the teaching I'd like to highlight!

I think Antonio Borelli made quite an impression as he even gave the juniors a class and it's all DD has been practising since she got back. (Cartwheel, squat, sweep left, sweep right..ponder..run round in circle....I think this was his work...I'm not sure this is doing it justice here)

I was so impressed by the quality of the contemporary and jazz work for the inters and the seniors. Such powerful choreography and so original. None of the usual music video stuff that can be a bit uncomfortable as a parent to watch - mature, expressive and I thought a genuine attempt to push all of the dancers so that even the simpler parts where still impressive and cohesive and you could tell were a joy to dance.

As part of the closing speech to parents the integrity of the choreography was brought up and I'd not really ever thought about this before but it summed up my overall impression beautifully. A lot of thought and effort was put into each group dance to present work that had real intention. Usually when Hubbie and I sit through the summer school or end of year show I'm a bit...well....if the one I made isn't in it I'm not as concentraty as I could be... but I genuinely enjoyed watching the older groups and to see girls not being girly but given something a bit empowering to dance to wasnt what I expected from a ballet course at all!

• Like 11

Haha Petalviolet. That exercise was definitely a favourite (as was Antonio!). You should have seen their faces when he told them they could do cartwheels! Not to mention that the sweeps were introduced as scooping ice cream!!

So lovely to hear all the highlights. Do you get asked to give feedback to the organisers? I'm sure they'd love to read some of these messages...

• Like 3

Thank you mummy twinkle toes,my dd loved york, she is an associate of the scholars, so the teaching is amazing they are like a big happy family.

I loved the senior ballet and the tribe dance wow.

Also the little ones were so beautiful.

The teachers were very heartfelt at the end with there speeches, and the awards were given to three beautiful girls.

I am sad to say my dd will not be returning to the associates in September as she is going to elmhurst, but it will be sadly missed, I would tell everyone to audition there,it will remain in my heart always xxx

• Like 3

My DD had a wonderful time at the York Dance Assembly. She raved about the delicious food and she loved the teachers. She really enjoyed the classes and said that they were both challenging and interesting and she learnt lots. She also enjoyed having her birthday there! The end of week demo was fabulous with really interesting choreography and music choices. The students were all fab! I was very proud of my daughter for putting herself forward for a solo singing part in Hairspray. She loved the musical theatre classes. She wants to return next year so I will be signing her up! She successfully auditioned for scholars this year so she is now really excited to start in September.

My eldest DD returned a week ago from a week in Blackpool on the Phil Winstons International summer school. She is already booked on for next year. She had an amazing week and it gave a real insight to what it is like at full time dance college. The accommodation and food was excellent and the teaching was high quality.

Better start saving for next year!!!

• Like 8

DD was happy after the first day at Centre Pointe summer school in Denton today. The days are split 3 ways - Contemporary, Jazz and Ballet. Looking forward to seeing the 'small show' on Friday (15th). Will give you all an update then.

• Like 1

Just got back to find a mystery letter to DD.... It's from the jogging bottoms she met at York Dance Assembly!! I didn't even know they had exchanged addresses!! So now she has had two letters in two days from ballet pen pal chums that she wouldn't have found if it weren't for Balletco!!

Also got back to see DH "working from home" just happens to have the women's beach volleyball on...in the background....hmmmm.

• Like 13

OK, the summer school at Centre Pointe in Denton is now complete, and as promised, I'll share:

On day 1, dd was understandably nervous. She was totally out of her comfort zone, and it showed. However, everyone was fantastic. The days were split into 3 classes - Ballet, Contemporary and Jazz. Dd mainly likes her ballet, so I was surprised when she came back on the first day and said how much she enjoyed jazz. But every day I asked, and she came back with a different answer. So I guess this shows the strength of teaching across all of the disciplines on the course.

Today was the day of the performance, and I was very surprised at what they were able to do in just 5 days. My youngest daughter was too young for CP summer school, so she came to watch the show and loved it so much, she wants to go next year.

Looks like this is going to cost me !!!

• Like 6

My DD attended weeks 1 & 2 of OPES summer intensive and had a great time.  Teachers were friendly and supportive, giving corrections to all participants in a positive way.  Good amount of differentiation in what was taught (ballet, contemporary, etc.)  Accommodations were also very good.  Other kids were welcoming - which was great as my DD went alone.  Would definitely recommend.

• Like 3

My DD attended weeks 1 & 2 of OPES summer intensive and had a great time.  Teachers were friendly and supportive, giving corrections to all participants in a positive way.  Good amount of differentiation in what was taught (ballet, contemporary, etc.)  Accommodations were also very good.  Other kids were welcoming - which was great as my DD went alone.  Would definitely recommend.

Hi, What are the class sizes like there? 

Dd attended week 3.

Class size depended on the group. She thinks there were about 10-15 in the youngest group. There were 21 in her group & about 20 in the oldest group.

For most classes each of the teachers had an assistant with them who were usually young professional dancers (in one case an assistant taught some demo choreography from a professional ballet company she had performed with.

Dd attended week 3.

Class size depended on the group. She thinks there were about 10-15 in the youngest group. There were 21 in her group & about 20 in the oldest group.

For most classes each of the teachers had an assistant with them who were usually young professional dancers (in one case an assistant taught some demo choreography from a professional ballet company she had performed with.

That's brilliant thank you.  DD 2 has already made up her mind that Opes is where she wants to go next year and everything that I'm hearing about it is very positive.