Tring lower school dance audition date through!!!!

Busymum

The number of MDS places at each school has been misquoted; there are 46 places at Tring. This is 1% less than Hammond. Unusually, Tring does allow students to take their MDS to 6th form as they support the talented students who could not otherwise afford the DADA's, which is a less generous scheme.

Tring has a lot of ballet students, well over 150, and if 46 of those are MDS funded, then that is nearly one third.

• Like 3

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cristalle, I don't understand how the percentage numbers are misquoted, although I take the point that Tring pupils can carry their MDS awards into the sixth form. Maybe that makes a significant difference, in which case, the guide is misleading with its statistics! From page 3 of the Dept of Education guide:

TRING PARK SCHOOL FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS in Hertfordshire where 17% of its Dance and Classical Ballet pupils receive support from the MDS.

THE HAMMOND SCHOOL in Chester is a leading Performing Arts education provider, with nearly 60% of its Lower School Dance pupils supported through the scheme

I've got no personal interest in this, I'm just curious!

• Like 1

Possibly because Hammond has a smaller percentage of dancers (they are mostly a Musical theatre school), so more of a smaller number of total dancers at Hammond, and Tring allows the dancers to take MDS to 6th form and there are about 80 in the 6th form.

I seem to remember that when we auditioned for Tring last year they did explain that the earlier auditions had used up a lot of beds.  However, I am pretty sure that they also said that they had kept beds back for MDS kids taking part in the funding auditions later.  I remember being glad we had not auditioned earlier in the year actually, as the pressure to pay the whacking deposit would have been tricky.  We couldn't afford full fees, mind you, so it didn't take too long to make a decision to wait and see what happened with other schools.  If it's true that Tring have used up all their beds and have no room for the MDS children to board, that seems very unfair.

Hammond certainly is smaller overall but it is most definitely NOT a predominantly musical theatre school.  Lower school has no musical theatre strand - only dance and MDS are given for classical ballet in any case.  Even for the 6th form where there is dance or musical theatre the students are on DADA, not MDS and there are more on the dancers course than on the musical theatre course

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 4

I agree Hammond is certainly not a musical theatre school.  They do some singing and drama in lower school but from my discussion with the school it is mainly ballet.  I certainly hope this is the case anyway as we would not even be considering it otherwise.  My dd was offered Tring TA and we turned it down as there was not enough dance so I am relying on Hammond now!

• Like 2

Having had 2 children at Tring one on MDS and another on DaDA totalling 6 years personal experience of the dance course, sadly I can well believe that they will take full fee paying students over more talented students needing MDS funding. Very much a rich mans playground. I also have personal experience of RBS, which is operated very very differently their priority being talent.

But RBS can afford to operate differently, they are totally government funded, with every child on an MDS. Tring don't have that luxury, it's a huge estate to run and can only be funded into existence by paying parents I'm afraid. Some years they have only been given 3 MDS places to offer to children who need it. There is still a lot of classical talent at the school, with 3 Year 11 pupils being offered RBS Upper School this year. And with White Lodge only taking 7 of their children on to Upper School (so I believe), that's testimony to the classical training at Tring. I'm sure there are so many that they would love to take and equally, they know that they will always be third on anyone's list for training. Most candidates that Tring want to offer MDS places to, will also be offered RBS and Elmhurst and take those as a preference.

• Like 3

Oh dear! We won't fit in then, my car is always the shabbiest in the car park!

Most cars in the car park are just normal cars that you would see at any school Loulabelle, mine included! There is a real mix of parents at the school and I certainly don't feel that we are in a rich man's playground. In our year in dance course, most of the children are not affluent. They either have MDS funding, local council funding, or talent aid funding in order to be there. I would hate to think that anyone would feel that they wouldn't fit in as it isn't true. The parents are from every walk of life and lovely :)

Also, with the boarding spaces, there are the Theatre Arts pupils to be accommodated too, so they are always short of beds.

• Like 4

I agree with you Atacrossroads. At the state primary my sons went to, there was every make of car in the car park from a beaten up old ford to a top of the range Lexus - Tring pick ups are no different. All the ballet boys in DS year are on MDS and they share rooms with kids who's parents can just afford the fees and make massive sacrifices (just as we do) to kids that don't think twice about how much pocket money they have at weekends. All parents I have come across are lovely, the most important thing in my book.

I really dislike getting involved in discussions about money and funding, it's so personal and emotive and as I get older, I realise more and more that people judge others so much on what they perceive others to 'have'. No one has any idea what others go through to give their child the chances they can. I truly believe the most talented will get the offer that is right for them and if they don't get one this time, they just have to try again.

My DS was under no illusion that if he didn't get funding he wasn't going. And I knew deep down that that would have been the end of his dancing journey - can't possibly go into all that on here! He resolutely refused to audition anywhere else than Tring, don't know why, he wouldn't tell me, just refused. He was asked a number of times at the funding audition whether he was auditioning elsewhere or what other finals he was going to. He was lucky, very lucky and I don't go a day without realising how lucky he is, and nor does he. I also know that if this hadn't have worked out (and let's face it, there is a hell of a long way to go to see if he will be able to make it a career) he would have dusted himself off and put his considerable levels of determination to something else.

• Like 12

Also just have to add, didn't realise why I was grumpy until I arrived at ASDA and was able to process my thoughts! There has been a large assumption on this thread recently that the children who's parents can pay are less talented. I don't know about you, but I wasn't in that audition, how can you possibly know? They may have had an incredibly gifted year group both for classical and theatre arts whose parents just happen to be able to make the fees.

• Like 10

There is that assumption Harwel and it is by no means true. There are exceptionally talented paying children at the school and at the top end of their year. At least those who can afford to pay are doing so and leaving the MDS places for those whose dance journey would come to an end without the funding :)

• Like 6

Thank goodness for your redressing the balance Atacrossroads and Harwel. Thank you both for your comments which I agree with 100% and couldn't have written better myself. Assumptions of wealth over talent and being made to feel guilty because you sacrifice and struggle in order to pay the fees is not cool!

• Like 3

I think there have equally been people point out that places are offered after the first audition so that there is no doubt that places are offered to the most talented regardless of finances.  To my mind those that are taking up their places are most definitely deserving of their places.  They have the talent and I hope they will be very happy at the school.

It remains, however, understandable that it would be perceived otherwise if those attending the MDS funding audition are doing so without their being even the slightest chance of taking up their place because all boarding places are gone.  I, for one, doubt this is the case.  We have heard of one person's experience (day MDS as boarding places full) but surely more than one MDS will have been offered and it may well be that someone else was offered the remaining boarding places. We may not have heard about it on this forum but there are plenty of people who have not discovered the forum yet.

• Like 1

Ofcourse there are lots of talented children at Tring, lots of them. I mut admit though I didn't pick up on the suggestion that non funded children were less talented. At age 11 a student may get a MDS because they have the perfect physique for ballet with a strong sense of musicality. Another student may not have as perfect attributes but may be just as talented. I don't know but I do know that there are a lot of talented children in ALL of the vocational schools.

• Like 2

As the mother of a child who has just been offered a boarding bed on an MDS at Tring Park, I am reading this thread with interest. New to the forum and the roller coaster ride of vocational schools and the stress of auditions, it has been a huge learning curve for me and my daughter. I gather that the school is oversubscribed and there is pressure on boarding beds but I guess that they have ring-fenced enough for the MDS children. I did hear that there are so many boys that have been offered MDS this year that they have fewer beds for boys.

There is Tring magic and the staff seem lovely. Anyway, its a beautiful school and we cannot wait for her to start in September. Just thankful we survived the rocky road of auditions to get her there. 

• Like 16

My grandson has just been given an MDs for Sept for yr 7, as a boarder. We could are the opposite of a rich family and when I found out this funding to help the most talented children regardless of income levels I cried. My grandson lives for dance and is so thrilled to be going to Tring

Just wanted to say that without this funding he would be stuck in a failing state school at home and hiding his passion for dance from his friends. He has had to dance in secret already. The MDs will change his life. There are lots of good boys I think from what we saw, at the audition.

• Like 21

Huge Congratulations Daisy's Mum and Bettyballerina - I hope your DD and Grandson will be as happy at Tring as my DD is!  

It's a huge step allowing them to live away from home and we were very worried about it but apart from a little homesickness at the very beginning our DD is thriving!  In fact she just sent me some photos of the treats that she and her dorm friends have following their Easter Egg Hunt this morning :)  A lot of fun, a lot of hard work and a lot of feeling at home there!!  

Also, please don't be put off by any of the comments on the thread - there is a complete mix of family backgrounds in the dorms but you'd think they'd all known each other for years already!!

Have fun with naming clothes this Summer ;) ;) x

• Like 2

As the mother of a child who has just been offered a boarding bed on an MDS at Tring Park, I am reading this thread with interest. New to the forum and the roller coaster ride of vocational schools and the stress of auditions, it has been a huge learning curve for me and my daughter. I gather that the school is oversubscribed and there is pressure on boarding beds but I guess that they have ring-fenced enough for the MDS children. I did hear that there are so many boys that have been offered MDS this year that they have fewer beds for boys.

There is Tring magic and the staff seem lovely. Anyway, its a beautiful school and we cannot wait for her to start in September. Just thankful we survived the rocky road of auditions to get her there.

Wonderful news Daisy'smum and bettyballerina! Congratulations on getting those scholarships, I'm sure both children will love their time at Tring :)

Welcome to the forum ladies (ooo I'm assuming ladies - sorry if you're gentlemen!!)

Good to hear from you as it's useful to hear from others with different experiences.  Exciting times ahead for you and your families, and as DancingDays said - enjoy the summer of naming belongings  ;)

• Like 1