Snacks For Summer School

LizS24

I'm doing the London Amateur Ballet summer school next month which involves about 4 hours of classes each day. I'm looking for some ideas for quick and easy snacks for keeping my energy up. I'm vegetarian and I generally avoid fruit as snacks (makes me more hungry), but otherwise eat most things. Thanks in advance.

I agree that bananas are very good. Dark chocolate is good too. There was an interview I read in Pointe magazine with a professional dancer who said she kept a teaspoon and a jar of peanut butter in her bag for when she needed more energy. If you like peanut butter and didn't fancy anything sweet this could be worth trying out. :)

• Like 1

Janet - dried fruit is usually ok. Unfortunately, I detest bananas so they're not an option! I'll check out the 9bars and graze boxes, thanks for those. Might give the peanut butter idea a go as well!

• Like 1

Lightly toasted sunflower seeds with a bit of soy sauce on them are incredible! I tend to look for high protein snacks as they give longer lasting energy. Have you tried Naked bars? They are mostly dried fruit but have nuts which make them more substantial.

• Like 1

Have a look at the 'nakd bars' and the 'nakd protein crunch bars'. There's a website. Some of them are fruit based but they do a ginger one and cashew nut one. I know a couple of professional dancers who like them.

• Like 1

Holland and Barrat do an excellent cereal bar. My daughter will eat one of these between classes to give her energy as her classes are so demanding.

Do you know which one, Tulip? Is it Holland & Barrett's own? I had a look on their website but could only see Frusli bars or Nature's Best? ones?

• Like 1

My younger bro' who does a huge amount of exercise swears by clif bars- they are designed for people doing gym and such like so are quite balanced nutritionally. DS also lives off them as vital snacks to keep him going between classes.... I think they are American so a UK version might be cheaper- you could ask in Holland and Barrett they do quite a lot of exercise nutrition stuff...

One of my daughters swims and lots of the other swimmers take Jelly to gala's (the type in cubes that you add boiling water to) I don't know if there will be a gelatin free product you could try, I used to do quite a lot of running and I was told to eat jelly babies after every 10k so i'm guessing a similar thing, again I would imagine they contain geletin so not sure about vegetarian version.

Sorry not a lot of help

I pack up a selection so daughter has a choice rather than feels she has to eat everything.. Crackers, quite a bit of fruit but you don't like that, a little tub of quorn, squeezy yoghurt. Her favourite is small tub of rice with dark soy sauce and sweet corn and she just takes a few spork fulls when she can. She says she doesn't get time for anything fiddly or chewy! Also rice cakes, cereal bars, tic tacs, mini cheeses, little bag of Cheerios to take a handful here and there, little jelly pots for something sweet,

The cereal bars my daughter eats are the naked and trek ones. They give a slow release of energy, which is what they need to sustain them through a long class. A sugar snack will only give a quick burst of energy.

• Like 2

Clif bars are ideal but not awfully tasty in my opinion. A friend of mine (ex military, and British Military Fitness) is doing the ironman event next weekend and makes all his own energy bars and protein bars. Basic flapjack recipe plus added dried fruits, nuts, seeds, berries etc. For recovery he uses more protein rich content and adds protein powder (used to make into protein shakes) which is largely whey protein and eats these after training and for during long sessions he'll use more glucose based content and eat these on the bike. I'll ask him for the recipe if you want?

• Like 2

yes agree some clif bars are a bit dry but DS says the mint choc ones aren't so bad- I think you have to experiment a bit. Bro is also military fit (just about to commission out of sandhurst into the paras) and drinks a lot of protein shakes but DS finds making them up a bit fiddly. Recently he has struggled with fading part way through class so I suggested gatorade (he seems happy to make this up as it only requires water so he doesnt have to go to the kitchen for milk) and this has made a huge difference- so much so that his girlfriend has taken it up too- what is good about it is that its easy just to sip continuously so they get hydration as well as some energy- I suspected a lot of the muscle tiredness was lack of liquid- this seems to have done the trick (GF used it through act 3 of Don Q which is pretty demanding- she said it made a massive difference).

Bro also like the nuts seeds and chilli mix Holland and Barrett do (I'm partial to it myself but cant afford to eat too much as I am NOT military fit!!!!)

• Like 1

What are Graze boxes anyone?

I like Pret mango pieces but admit this is a rather expensive way of buying mango. But it does have magnesium in so can be an alternative to banana.

I also love pieces of carrot/celery with hummus as a dip..........spelling may be wrong as I can't make this one stick.......but this could also be with pieces of your favourite bread.

Graze boxes are "healthy snaks " arranged in trays with separate compartments and come in differnt varieties to suit your taste - some contain chocolate - you can order them online an have them delivered to your place of work for example

I was tempted , but they are not cheap .....

We love dried mango pieces from Tesco !

We had them for about six months and then discontinued them. You can exclude things because of allergies but we asked if they could only send the fruit selections because we found the savoury ones all tasted alike and they claimed it would not be possible to arrange this.