Dance and Drama Awards

Millie3

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but only for the first two years. The third years have to find their own accomodation regardless and fund it themselves. At least this was the case 2 years ago!

Im talking about Tring by the way, I dont know how it works for Upper School and I am not aware of any other places that let the mds go into 6th form although they may very well exist!

Has only happened once that I'm aware of about 5 years ago at Elmhurst.  All of DS year changed to DaDa's for 6th form.  Tring seem to know away round MDS awards which other schools don't use.  When we were assessed out of W / L and applied to Tring we were told at finals that they could in certain circumstances keep your MDS award from your previous school and not use one of the few they were allocated. Something to do with your education! This was a few years ago now and things may have changed. 

That's interesting Kathy G

Is this only for Tring ?

DD has an MDS BUT this is for her CAT scheme, not vocational school. Wouldn't it be lovely if that could be transferred to 6th form !!!

Silly of me to even think of it I'm sure, wonder if it's worth mentioning to Tring before her funding audition lol

Schools have total discretion over who receives an MDS.  The schools in the scheme are allocated a certain number of them which can be awarded from Yr 7 upwards.  If one becomes free the school can reallocate it to a pupil in any year.  Some schools with MDS also have DaDa in 6th form.  An MDS can be continued into 6th form, however, often the school decides to award a DaDa instead so the the MDS can be used by a younger pupil.  These awards are tied to the school/organisation and I don't think they can be carried from one place to another.  Of course the new school may decide to give one of their own MDS awards to that pupil.

• Like 1

Not really Interested Parent sorry! I've already probably said more than I should ;) I was just trying to put peoples minds at rest a bit as earlier on the thread, some postings were assuming the schools aren't reacting. They are! As we all know, primarily the schools want students with talent not money. Obviously there are students with both but equally there are those with 'only' talent.

Not really Interested Parent sorry! I've already probably said more than I should ;) I was just trying to put peoples minds at rest a bit as earlier on the thread, some postings were assuming the schools aren't reacting. They are! As we all know, primarily the schools want students with talent not money. Obviously there are students with both but equally there are those with 'only' talent.

• Like 2

In light of current questions from posters on this forum.  Thought adding this link might be useful for some, especially the annexures.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/d/dada%20qa%202013-14%20-%20final.pdf

if the pdf doesn't open, the original web page is here or you can select the whole link and right-click to Go to the web page:

http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/1419/post16/

I am not sure if this helps but my DD was in  the same situation.

The schools do occasionally have bursary's they can award and DD was given one of them. 

They are completely at the schools discresion but if they want you badly enough and you are open with the school regarding your finances, then occasionally they can help.

DD is aware how lucky she is and is overjoyed to be still dancing in the 6th form after waiting in vain for a place off the waiting list at Central due to the DADA upsets.

Edited for apalling typo!

Edited by Dragonlady
  • Like 1

Still don't know why I had to pay £250 & £75 for the colleges while they decide if DD gets a DaDA or not :(   

The stuff on-line about DaDAs seem to suggest a fee shouldn't be paid - last year I'd have given the college leeway as it was new but this year they should have sorted it out last year imo

• Like 2