Dance and Drama Awards

Millie3

' a wealthy absent parent or relative' let me check...nope...don't have one of those either but i do have determination and common sense which goes along way in budgeting for anything if need be.

Re grants ...

Look online, in the library, call your local council and your county council and businesses.

Level 6 diploma is higher than A Levels and if ur dc wants to still have A Levels on top of diploma they can...

Every penny counts for sure.

• Like 1

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re child benefit - if your child is studying A levels alongside the diploma, I believe you can still claim it.  That is what I was told when my DD started vocational 6th form last year after the person I spoke to on the phone consulted with her supervisor.  There needs to be a minimum number of hours per week studying A levels for you/your child to be eligible.  I cannot remember how many hours that was as I certainly did not know how many hours per week my DD would spend on A levels at that time but they said child benefit would be allowed until her A levels were finished.

• Like 1

This is a fab thread and have bookmarked to carefully read all 500 replies with a large glass of wine later this evening. I'm in the situation DD will be auditioning for 2015 entry and our options have been limited by my moving in with a partner on a high wage therefore making us ineligible for any DADAs. We have the option of the three BA courses. With such narrow options I wanted to throw this into the discussion (apologies if it has been covered and I missed it)... Schools abroad? Within Europe or further afield such as the USA or Australia? What are the funding/boarding options there? Whilst they may not be funded general costs may be cheaper overall? Probably all been covered somewhere which would save me the bother of researching it all! Places for the BA courses are only going to get harder to fight for and we need to start now to look at other options.

I wonder whether in future all 16+ courses will end up being funded through the student..ie with government grants. At £9000 a year its not far off vocational sixth form costs. It would even the playing field and avoid some talented dancers/ students not being able to attend accross the spectrum of incomes.

Not ideal but a possibility.

I see the same for regular sixth forms. Funding is constantly being cut yet the students still deserve good facilities and top teaching.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to open up this thread, I have tried to read as many of the posts I can but I haven't quite been able to find out what I am looking for.  It refers to MDS and the questions they ask you with regards to income.  Has anyone seen the forms from various vocational schools and whether they ask you the same questions.  My dd's Dad and I live separately so I expect they ask for my income plus maintenance from DD dad.  However if I live with someone else and am not married does that count towards income.  The guidance on the DepEd section on MDS is very poor.  

• Like 1

Hi Pas de Chat unfortunately yes they do....... it is the "household income" that MDS require so that is yours,your partners and the maintenance from your dd's Dad plus other things like interest on savings,some pension contributions etc  there is a fairly long list....all at gross as well!

The only income they do not seem to take into account are child benefit and working or child tax credits,and of course all the other social security benefits ( too many to list).

Hope that helps a little if you want more in depth details I can dig out my set of rules as this is only what I can remember.

• Like 1

Sorry to open up this thread, I have tried to read as many of the posts I can but I haven't quite been able to find out what I am looking for. It refers to MDS and the questions they ask you with regards to income. Has anyone seen the forms from various vocational schools and whether they ask you the same questions. My dd's Dad and I live separately so I expect they ask for my income plus maintenance from DD dad. However if I live with someone else and am not married does that count towards income. The guidance on the DepEd section on MDS is very poor.

On MDS if you are not married to your new partner then they only want to know your income and court ordered maintenance payments from the absent parent. On DaDA if you live with your new partner, then they want the household income plus court ordered maintenance payments. I hope this answers your question. Feel free to pm me if you need too. LTD

• Like 1

Hi Pas de Chat unfortunately yes they do....... it is the "household income" that MDS require so that is yours,your partners and the maintenance from your dd's Dad plus other things like interest on savings,some pension contributions etc  there is a fairly long list....all at gross as well!

The only income they do not seem to take into account are child benefit and working or child tax credits,and of course all the other social security benefits ( too many to list).

Hope that helps a little if you want more in depth details I can dig out my set of rules as this is only what I can remember.

Hi Hairbelles.This is a very confusing topic! I am under the impression that if a DADA award is made, child tax credits and child benefit stop, is this the case for MDS too or does it depend on whether A levels are being taken. The rules do seem very tough.

Hi Jazzpaws I'm starting to confuse myself,

I was refering to the MDS, there seems to be quite a difference to what is taken into account due to marital status in certain circumstances..........you are right in thinking this benefits stop under dada rules as diploma is higher than A levels.

I think I need to read the notes for myself not other people ;)

My ex-husbands maintenance payments count towards my younger dd's MDS so surely this cannot be right as she is not his daughter.

It does seem very unfair.  I think they have the whole system completely wrong.  I just want to make sure I can afford it before she goes to audition as that would be just so unfair on her.

• Like 1

Hi Jazzpaws I'm starting to confuse myself,

I was refering to the MDS, there seems to be quite a difference to what is taken into account due to marital status in certain circumstances..........you are right in thinking this benefits stop under dada rules as diploma is higher than A levels.

Child Benefit is still awarded on a Dada Award. The Dada related courses are classed as 'Further Education' and not 'Higher Education' :)

dancemad I think you will find that they class the DADA courses as Further Education or Higher Education to suit each government department.  For housing benefit it is definitely classed as higher education so no  housing benefit. child benefit we were told is only for courses up to level 3/4 and not DADA courses which count as higher because they are level 6.  It might depend on who you speak to for child benefit, however as when I rang up I was told that we could still claim for the first 2 years as my DD was doing A levels alongside, provided the expectation was that she would be doing 12 hours a week of study at the level that qualified.  Some people might be lucky and still be able to claim but I suspect it is only if you speak to a sympathetic advisor.  Incidentally it was only because I politely argued the case as 'Further Education' that the supervisor was consulted and the initial 'no' was overturned.

Child Benefit is still awarded on a Dada Award. The Dada related courses are classed as 'Further Education' and not 'Higher Education' :)

Sorry dancemad, I wish you were correct, but a recent tribunal confirmed that the DaDA courses are 'Higher Education'. That is why students can not claim housing benefit and parents lose child benefit. However, the DaDA regs say they are 'Futher Education', which is how the govt justify not allowing student loans. It is a mess, they seem to change the category to suit themselves :(

Sorry dancemad, I wish you were correct, but a recent tribunal confirmed that the DaDA courses are 'Higher Education'. That is why students can not claim housing benefit and parents lose child benefit. However, the DaDA regs say they are 'Futher Education', which is how the govt justify not allowing student loans. It is a mess, they seem to change the category to suit themselves :(

Well it is a mystery then ;) Our DD is currently on a Dada & we are in receipt of Child Benefit! I rang the CB office when she started and they asked for the name of her new school and the qualification she will receive (National Diploma in Dance) and that was it. Then we received notification saying the benefit would be paid. DD does not do A levels.

• 4 months later...

Hi. When my dd got her dada last year i lost my tax credit. They said its because it is a level six diploma. They only continue if its up to a level 3 (a level type courses) you can get a maintenance grant to help...you apply for this when you fill in the papers for the dada. Its income based the same as the dada.

Take from one hand....

Its a struggle to afford the accommodation costs to be fair as for me as a single parent its like running two homes! I know others a lot like me but happy to knuckle down with just the basics for the opportunity for dd to be doing what she loves. I think regardless of income its a stretch though!

Hope things go well for you and your daughter.

• Like 1

Sorry...didnt answer your first question!

No...tax credit is not included in your income. I had to provide a p60 for total income or a copy of my tac credit confirmation which again was for proof of actualn income.

Thanks

1) that's good

2) that's what I expected

Now I just have to wait & see; our biggest issue is DH's income as it is a compensation/insurance payment & not eligible for Tax or included for tax credits.......the lady at the college didn't know whether it would or not

Edited to add

That is after the first & biggest problem of whether or not she gets one :rolleyes::unsure:;)

Edited by Katymac

I would be interested to know from those who complete a DaDa household income form last year if they had to provide any benefits in kind such as private medical insurance, company car/petrol that kind of thing that comes on your P11d or was it just the P60 that had to be submitted?  Thanks.

• Like 1