Questions about Lower School auditions

outofmydepth

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were at Tring on the 6th of Feb and told results could be up to 3 weeks, so not sure whether the January dancers will hear first or whether both sets will now hear altogether......Which would mean an exceptionally long wait for you sarahw! Fingers crossed that they will send your results out soon.......Or even better that they send both lots out together very soon! We're fully expecting a no as it's the only school dd auditioned for on the advice of her teacher, but she did have a wonderful day and enjoyed every minute of the experience, so fingers crossed it just spurs her enthusiasm to keep  on persevering! 

• Like 1

When my DD was invited to WL finals for year 9, the class had about 24 students and they had all been invited to finals for years 8, 9 and 10.  Some (DD included) were just auditioning for associates and got invited to finals.

There were a couple of places in year 9, that year, although it does seem that they would make space if they definitely wanted someone. 

A girl from our school was auditioning for year 10 and there were no places, so she was taken into year 11!  Strange really, as clearly not the same age as the others and then sadly not taken into Upper School.

DS was at Hammond yesterday.  He said he liked it and the audition went ok.  As I understand it, at Tring it is possible to be accepted but not invited to funding OR be accepted AND invited to funding.  Is that the same as at Hammond?  I got the impression all are invited back to the funding audition at Hammond but I might be wrong!  

My DS auditioned at Tring Park for the Dance course on 15th Oct, and it took roughly around 4 weeks for the letter to come through. He also auditioned for Theatre Arts course on 10th Jan, and we got told by the Principal, it could take more than 4 weeks as they wanted to finish all the auditions first, before they made their decisions. 

I think with Hammond, everyone that is offered a place, needs to send a cheque off for £60, to enable you to get the funding audition date back. We havent had to do that with RBS or Tring Park. I wonder how many actually get that letter. Sounds like they are on a good thing! Have received an email from them asking why they havent had a reply from us, but still gave us the date and time to attend. So hold out people, dont be too quick to send your cheques off! x

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

But the final audition is three weeks from last Thursday.........

I'm actually waiting for 6th form results but no one has heard about those either! What is going on?

Quick question about Elmhurst finals! I have been told that Elmhurst always invite all their J.A's back for the final audition. Can anyone confirm this or is it just a silly rumour?

MVOBE

It used to be the case that all PVPs were given finals but this stopped in the year my daughter auditioned (2011). x

Ive heard that at RBS finals, they have to write an essay about themselves. Do they get the chance to do anything like this at Tring funding audition does anyone know? It would be nice to think they get the chance to put themselves forward, and speak about themselves, be it in writing, or an interview?

I am puzzled about the Elmhurst finals. I understand they took very few boys last year compared with girls. I am really curious as to why there appears to be so few spaces for boys. I don't suppose there is anyone on here who would have an idea of the number of boys spaces for this year and/or how many have been asked back for finals.

It does cause some problems further up the school for pdd, but it's not that they haven't got space, more just that they only accept those they really want, boys or girls, and there are a lot more girls to choose from I suppose.

I don't know if that is the correct place but.... DD auditioned for Yr 7 at Tring on January the 13th....We've got the letter !!!!!! a Yes for the Funding audition!!!! So proud and happy for her!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!!!

• Like 2

My DS auditioned for Tring on 6th Feb and we got the letter today.  It's an invite to go for a funding audition on the 27th Feb!!!!!  :)  :)  :)

We're very new to all of this so can I just ask a rather silly question…… Does that mean he's been offered a place regardless?? Supposing he doesn't get the funding award but we can somehow manage to scrape together the money with the help of family members, would he still have a place? Does that make sense?! Thanks for any advice! 

• Like 1

My DS has WL finals on Friday.  I see that there is a short written task which "we hope candidates will enjoy".  I am a bit worried about this.  He won't enjoy a short written task as his literacy, whilst passable, is not his best subject at all.  I suspect he may be dyslexic but his current school won't test for this.  Does anyone know what this might be? If so would anyone be kind enough to PM me so that I might be able to put his mind at rest about what is involved?

Thank you!

Please reassure him that it's nothing to worry about. (If you'd feel more comfortable, email the school to earn them that he may be dyslexic and that he's a bit worried about it.) It's mainly a way of getting to know the students a bit so when they have their interview they have something appropriate to ask them about. It's stuff like their family, home, friends, what subjects they like at school. It is worth the students thinking about why they want to go to WL, how they would feel about being away from home etc, as sometimes they have told people that they don't feel the child is ready for boarding.

Just checked with DS as I thought - nothing at all to worry about - they are asked to write a bit about themselves and their family so that the staff know more about them and why they like to dance and what else they like dooing .... He says it's easy and not an intelligence / literacy test !

Yes its nothing to worry about and is not a test of intelligence, as said above more a chance to find out about the child.

Its all very informal and friendly.

I remember how my ds wrote about wanting an elephant for a pet.... We got him a little black dwarf rabbit instead who is still with us 10 years later!

• Like 3