Bolshoi Ballet: leavers, joiners, general promotions

Good to see the following promotions of Lantratov and Smirnova, which were announced today:

"Vladislav Lantratov is promoted from the Leading Soloist to Premier, Olga Smirnova — from the First Soloist to the Leading Soloist, Denis Rodkin — from Soloist to the First Soloist. Anna Okunyova, Yanina Parienko, Artemy Belyakov & Anton Savichev became Soloists."

• Like 5

Like Don Q fan I too think Andre should have been promoted. He is a fine dancer and a great talent whom we saw too rarely on this visit. Do you think it can have anything to do with him seemingly being perceived as as more 'character' dancer than a classical dancer noble? I'm only going off the roles he seems to be given to dance over here. Don Q, Flames and Rubies, not the more classical 19th century ballets.   Joan

• 1 year later...

Bolshoi Ballet Promotions

Anna Nikulina, Anastasia Stashkevich  promoted from leading soloists to principals

Artemy Belyakov — from soloist to leading soloist

Denis Savin and Igor Tsvirko — from first Soloists to leading soloists

Daria Khokhlova, Yuri Baranov — from soloists to first soloists 

Anastasia Vinokur, Angelina Karpova, Ana Turazashvili and Alexander Smoliyaninov — from artists to soloists

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Denis Rodkin is promoted from the Leading Soloists to Principals; Maria Vinogradova — from the First Soloists to the Leading Soloists, Maria Semenyachenko — from the Soloists to the First Soloists; Alexander Vodopetov — from Artists to the Soloists: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/

http://www.bolshoi.ru/persons/ballet/1294/

Denis Rodkin will appear at London Coliseum next month dancing with Irina Kolesnikova in Swan Lake and La Bayadere: http://www.eno.org/whats-on#Events%20Calendar

Here Rodkin is dancing the arrogant God of Wind in the pas de deux (with Angelina Vorontsova) from Petipa’s ballet “The Talisman”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gdn6RXrXrg

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Amelia, many thanks for this information, and congratulations to all who got promotions.

Big thanks also for posting this video. I did not know this ballet, and what a treat to see two such wonderful dancers for my first exposure to it. How lovely to see something different! I'm very much looking forward to seeing Rodkin on August 13th. :)

• Like 1

Mukhamedov and Yoshida did perform the Talisman pas de deux at the ROH, back in summer 1997. It was longer ago than I thought, but that's what the ROH performance database says. Rather lovely costumes if I recall correctly. I think they might have been scheduled to appear in this at some point before then (or after?) but it didn't happen for some reason. I think there may have been some rather odd reason given for its non-appearance - unable to get copies of the orchestral score or something. Maybe someone else can recall.

A lovely piece, shame we haven't seen it at the ROH again. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Lynette.  I was rather hazy about the details, so hoped someone else would be able to fill in the blanks.  I think the first time it was scheduled they couldn't get hold of the score, or something, but danced it later?

• 2 years later...

The Bolshoi Ballet company has enrolled 22 (!) new dancers:
Anna Grigorieva, Anastasia Yermolaeva, Daria Kanshina, Anna Lebedeva, Tatiana Osipova, Stanislava Postnova, Eleonora Sevenard, Sophia Smirnova, Tatiana Tiliguzova, Ekaterina Fateyeva, Valeria Shikina, Maria Shuvalova, Yegor Gerashchenko, Vitaly Getmanov, Pyotr Gusev, Grigory Ikonnikov, Ilya Karpovich, Sergei Kuptsov, Arsenty Lazarev, Igor Pugachev, Oskar Frame, Mark Chino.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/about/press/articles/none/242-beginning/

It will be interesting to keep track of their progress.

• Like 2

• alison changed the title to Bolshoi Ballet - News
  • alison changed the title to Bolshoi Ballet: leavers, joiners, general promotions
On 9/13/2017 at 02:43, Lizbie1 said:

I'd also argue that the Bolshoi doesn't present much of a model for exemplary management/employee relations and harmonious internal politics.

"Harmonious internal politics" in a ballet company sounds like an oxymoron to me. From the artist's perspective the most important thing is being given conditions to grow artistically and professionally.

• Like 2

On 13 September 2017 at 11:43, Lizbie1 said:

I'd also argue that the Bolshoi doesn't present much of a model for exemplary management/employee relations and harmonious internal politics.

I would strongly are against that under Makhar Vaziev, the opportunities for dancers at all levels to improve themselves and 'step up' is unlike any company in the world. Mr Vaziev in countless interviews tells how he has an open door policy for dancers to ask for roles or opportunities, he then tells them what they must work on to be able to be considered for the role. He then admits he is very demanding in the studio... if the dancers tell him they want a bigger role, they must work and walk through that door.

It may not be for everyone, but if you have worked your life and have a contract at the Bolshoi, comfortable seats shouldn't be what you are looking for asa dancer.

Just this week Xander told about how he was told to wait for longer for his chance with a wooly answer (guardian), and in the end threw in his spear, and demonstrated his talent elsewhere.