Monogram Adorning the Curtain at CG

Its some time now since Queen Elizabeth the Second passed away,  yet her monogram  still adorns  the curtain at the ROH 

I have asked numerous staff at the ROH as to why the monogram of the new King does not now adorn the curtain. 

Amongst the replies I have been given is that King Charles wants the previous Queens monogram to remain in her honour  /  the cost of changing it prohibits the change / the Queen  loved attending performances at CG so it would be left as is in her honour.

Can anyone please advise why no change to the monogram has taken place / Thank You 

• Like 1

I think Bangorballetboy posted some months ago that the cipher of the monarch at the time something was created remain on that something.  Like pillar boxes, where the cipher doesn't change with the monarch, I guess.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I don't think the reason is anything to do with the late Queen loving attending Covent Garden - I suspect the King has been a far more regular and enthusiastic supporter of opera and ballet over the years.

Yes….the late Queen was not a culture vulture and much preferred the horses than Covent Garden!  

• Like 2

Queen Elizabeth gave the Royal Ballet its name on its 25 anniversary in 1956 by Royal Charter and the Covent Garden Opera Company was given the title The Royal Opera by her in 1968; I understood King Charles asked that the cipher remained to acknowledge this link with his mother 

image.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alison said:

I think Bangorballetboy posted some months ago that the cipher of the monarch at the time something was created remain on that something.  Like pillar boxes, where the cipher doesn't change with the monarch, I guess.

Yep:

True, EIIR did start to appear on pillar boxes in 1952 - but I may not be alone in recalling that this was not universally well-received in Scotland, where the argument was that there had been no previous Queen Elizabeth north of the border.  In the extreme, there were a few incidents involving explosives in boxes before things settled.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I suspect that post boxes with King Charles' cypher won't be numerous.  The obvious reason of his age of course (we older people do have to face our mortality) though also, as the postal service is really becoming worryingly dire and so is used less and less, especially in the age of electronic communications, I wonder if we will need them!

On the positive side, we have the rise of the knitted post box topper. This King Charles III one ended up in Australia.  I've not, as yet, seen a ballet related one, but who knows?  They add hugely to the gaiety of the nation don't they? 

https://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/2024/02/05/king-charles-post-box-topper/

The Prince of Wales is always known as The Duke of Rothesay in Scotland. 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It even looks like him!! Brilliant.

There were many magnificent ones for the coronation. Such talent!

The latest theme is the celebration of 200 years of the RNLI. Yarnbombing is fun. I'm no knitter, though I do appreciate the talents of others. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/876920579707070/permalink/1042769046455555/

This is getting off the original topic, here's a dancer who yarnbombs.

https://magazine.workingnotworking.com/magazine/2016/8/17/nd6d7bzja05xisijv1rl4ctwmvis11

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Roberta said:

Though pillar boxes are rather more difficult to alter than ciphers on drapes! The ER cipher was put in place in June 1952. 

Are there photos of the previous ‘G’ curtains? 

• 1 month later...

From Alex Beard in today's The Times:

"The King's view is that these things should be done organically, not immediately.  So when the time comes to replace the curtains we will proudly display C III R.  That will be quite soon, because they date from the 1999 refurbishment of the theatre.  After 25 years of being pulled up and down twice daily [sic] there's quite a bit of wear and tear."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5