Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

1 hour ago, emmarose said:

Did you come to a decision? I think I'm leaning towards going at the minute.

Long story ... I decided to go on short break out of London this weekend so returned my ticket.  Then my train was cancelled and no trains at all on Saturday to go to West Country, so I was free again on Sat pm.  Then I read the raves for last Monday's performance - even better than opening night.  How is that possible?  Yesterday I bought a replacement ticket for Sat at an outrageous price - so yes, I'm going!   

• Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Long story ... I decided to go on short break out of London this weekend so returned my ticket.  Then my train was cancelled and no trains at all on Saturday to go to West Country, so I was free again on Sat pm.  Then I read the raves for last Monday's performance - even better than opening night.  How is that possible?  Yesterday I bought a replacement ticket for Sat at an outrageous price - so yes, I'm going!   

I'm so, so glad I asked because this saga did make me giggle (apologies!) 

Yes, I was hearing and seeing some things on Instagram (even thought we shouldn't) but apparently they were on song yet again and raising the bar so I decided it was a yes if they're dancing.

I can't believe the long way around it for you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I'm so, so glad I asked because this saga did make me giggle (apologies!) 

Yes, I was hearing and seeing some things on Instagram (even thought we shouldn't) but apparently they were on song yet again and raising the bar so I decided it was a yes if they're dancing.

I can't believe the long way around it for you.

Let me know if you are up for a drink in the interval or before - you may be with friends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Let me know if you are up for a drink in the interval or before - you may be with friends.

I am going with someone else, but I'd love to say hi to you

• Like 1

I've just checked the ROH Flickr account to see if they had posted any production pics for the new Carmen that opens tonight. They haven't but what they have posted since I last checked a few days ago is production pics for the Swan Lake so I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone wants to look at them. Unfortunately none of the photos have any casting details in the captions but the cast looks to be that of the Friends rehearsal as it's Sasaki & Sissens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72177720315894446/with/53626107437

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 02/04/2024 at 06:43, LinMM said:

OMG there’s a YouTube clip of a class of virtuoses men in tours en Lair. A couple managed three straight off double tours en L’air from same spot and then collapse on the floor lol but then there was one dancer who just kept going …a series of double tours en L’air with no steps in between. It was about six I think but didn’t count just don’t know how he didnt  run out of energy!! 

Was that Leonid Sarafanov? I think he does about 10 consecutive doubles if it is the clip I'm thinking of.

• Thanks 1

Yes that’s the clip I was watching Borzoi so if sarafanov is the one in the orange t shirt that’s him! I counted 11 this time so even more than I thought! 
I didn’t post the clip here in case it was one that isn’t allowed! 
That requires so

much energy just from the spot like that. 

• Like 1

Feeling on such a high after the performance tonight. Marianela and Vadim were on another level as always, but they seemed to be even better than opening night, which I didn't think was possible! I feel privileged to have been able to witness them dance, such a wonderful partnership and you can see the care and trust they have built between them. Just remarkable.

Also wanted to give a shoutout to Luca Acri who I thought was an excellent Benno, he seemed more confident this time around than opening night and I thoroughly enjoyed his characterisation. 

All I have to say is bravo!!

• Like 21

Saw it tonight, an electric atmosphere in the ROH! Could palpably hear the relief when the announcement was made about replacements in the cast that it wasn’t going to be Marianela or Vadim! Hugely appreciative audience, standing ovations and the longest curtain call I’ve ever experienced! Every aspect of this was truly memorable, I feel like I’ve experienced something very special tonight. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lucy M said:

Feeling on such a high after the performance tonight. Marianela and Vadim were on another level as always, but they seemed to be even better than opening night, which I didn't think was possible! I feel privileged to have been able to witness them dance, such a wonderful partnership and you can see the care and trust they have built between them. Just remarkable.

Also wanted to give a shoutout to Luca Acri who I thought was an excellent Benno, he seemed more confident this time around than opening night and I thoroughly enjoyed his characterisation. 

All I have to say is bravo!!

Yes it was an amazing performance from all. Marianela danced like there was no tomorrow and I absolutely loved her characterisation of the cunning seductress Odile while Vadim was the perfect lovestruck and hapless innocent young man. They are both stunning to watch and I was lucky enough to sit right at the front of the middle of the stalls circle so had a perfect view.  Big shout out to Olivia Cowley as Spanish Princess, Megan Grace Hinkis as Prince Siegfried’s sister (those turns were 😮💥) and Annette Buvoli and Valentino Zuchetti who danced a beautiful ?polonaise (I think) in Act I. There is always a little extra sparkle on stage when the aforementioned are dancing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Saw it tonight, an electric atmosphere in the ROH! Could palpably hear the relief when the announcement was made about replacements in the cast that it wasn’t going to be Marianela or Vadim! Hugely appreciative audience, standing ovations and the longest curtain call I’ve ever experienced! Every aspect of this was truly memorable, I feel like I’ve experienced something very special tonight. 

Agree 💯 and yes I let out a sigh of relief when I found both lead roles were unaffected by the cast changes. I was sat next to a lovely lady who had travelled all the way from Sydney, Australia to see Marianela and Vadim dance swan lake so was relieved for her too.

• Like 11

I agree it felt like the energy spread to everyone tonight! I totally agree that Marianela was dancing like there is no tomorrow - she really threw herself into every aspect of the dual roles. Vadim was so heartbreakingly in love in act 2 pas de deux and gleeful in the ball scene so the tragedy really hit home. Just magical ! 

• Like 13

Today’s night was very memorable, always so happy to see Vadim and Marianela dancing together. Unfortunately, I was able to get just one ticket and need to take my special someone to see another Swan Lake this season. Is there another O-O worth seeing at ROH? Maybe our next Marianela or Sylvia) I am extremely biased and normally go to see Marianela and Vadim when I get a chance, but who would you say is strong 2nd?)

One other question re tickets. Is there any other place to look for them except ROH website? I was monitoring tickets for today’s performance for a good couple of months but no luck to find more than one ticket. 

Well, Vadim is dancing with Fumi as well in Swan Lake early next month - that should be well worth seeing.

I don’t really think there is anywhere other than the ROH website to buy tickets but I’m happy to stand corrected on that if anyone else knows differently. It might just be a case of haunting the site regularly in the hope that something appears….

Edited by Balletfanp
Typo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buru said:

Today’s night was very memorable, always so happy to see Vadim and Marianela dancing together. Unfortunately, I was able to get just one ticket and need to take my special someone to see another Swan Lake this season. Is there another O-O worth seeing at ROH? Maybe our next Marianela or Sylvia) I am extremely biased and normally go to see Marianela and Vadim when I get a chance, but who would you say is strong 2nd?)

One other question re tickets. Is there any other place to look for them except ROH website? I was monitoring tickets for today’s performance for a good couple of months but no luck to find more than one ticket. 

@Buru - ALL the Royal Ballet partnerships for Swan Lake are really strong so a ‘graded’ list simply doesn’t work 😊

However, Fumi Kaneko (who has already performed the role this season)  is absolutely outstanding as Odette/Odile and will, as @Balletfanpsays, dance opposite Vadim in early May. So those performances might be a good place to start your ticket search.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buru said:

I think Yasmine Naghdi is the most likely to emulate Marienela as a pre eminent classical ballerina from the next RB generation - great all rounder - best technician of the younger principals but also musical and good actor.  Dancing with Matthew Ball in the next Swan Lake run.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Well I think you’ve just about summed up my feelings about this evening. It certainly was a magical night – I especially loved the Act 2 PDD, which really had the audience enthralled, and was met with a big roar of applause, at the end.  As Kerfuffle says the energy seemed to spread to the whole cast, who were all superb. I think there should also be a special shout out to the orchestra who were on fine form tonight.
I’m going to see Vadim and Fumi in May (on my birthday!), So it will be very interesting to compare the two partnerships.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Missfrankiecat said:

I think Yasmine Naghdi is the most likely to emulate Marienela as a pre eminent classical ballerina from the next RB generation - great all rounder - best technician of the younger principals but also musical and good actor.  Dancing with Matthew Ball in the next Swan Lake run.

I agree totally.  

Tonight was wonderful. Vadim was phenomenal.  

• Like 16

What a beautiful start to my short holiday last night down at the Lake.

As others have mentioned, electric atmosphere last night - right from the collective sighs of relief and nervous giggles afterwards, when the cast replacement announcement was made, it was obvious who many people had come to see, confirmed by warm applause for Vadim and Marianela's entrances.  But there was so much in addition to enjoy.  I was front row, a rare treat and chance to really drink in details - only the footwork (not an insignificant detail!) is compromised from row A, but more than compensated by the ability to see every facial expression [not an advantage when it comes to Liam Boswell's grimaces btw - why oh why doesn't someone sort this out; he has great lines but pulls the most effortful faces when lifting], and the fabulous detail of set and costuming.  I love the magnificent set for Act 3 in particular and it seemed better lit than usual last night.  The swan corps was so good, not a feather out of place.  Such kudos to them, to the repetiteurs who drill them to such perfection and the artful arrangement of a company which has quite a diversity of height.  Luca Acri was a very engaging Benno, Isabella Gasparini (what a couple of weeks she has had) and Meaghan Grace Hinkis were lovely sisters - it's a shame that they don't get separate curtain calls.  Even on such crowded sets, Gary Avis is able to compel attention - I loved him in Act 3, sitting in front of the Queen Mum, like a Svengali-suited bovver boy, giving the visiting delegations the evil eye.  What more is there to say about the dream team?  Individually sensational, they are sublime together.  Marianela drains every last drop of meaning from each note of music, her ability to make her limbs and even spine at times look liquid when her core is performing such miracles of balance and control is completely unparalleled in this company, at least.  Her Odette was imperious injured pride, melting into tremulous trust, dignified disappointment and finally determined redemption.  Her Odile (always my favourite) is sexy, powerful malevolence.  She and Vadim sizzled in Act 3.  Sim is right - Vadim is phenomenal.  His lines are so perfect, you want to weep and he just makes every technical feat look so effortless that you start to think it must be easy.  I swear, even close up, there is no sign of sweat being broken, breathing being controlled nor a hair out of place.  He always partners beautifully but there is a special sympathy with Nunez and their lines match perfectly; I saw she mouthed what looked like a 'thankyou' at the end of the Act 3 coda as they took their bows - the only time they were out of character.  I felt privileged to be there last night.

Edited by Missfrankiecat
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Personally I feel like Marianela really is an international talent  that will be hard to replace, good though some of the young principals might be, it’s a very rare quality that she has. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Personally I feel like Marianela really is an international talent  that will be hard to replace, good though some of the young principals might be, it’s a very rare quality that she has. 

Marianela is world famous and a star ballerina, and rightly so, but I cannot agree that her RB colleagues are just « good ». For example, as Capybara mentioned earlier this week, Fumi Kaneko is widely acknowledged now as a world star (see Dance Europe) - she is surely more than good, she is stellar and her  time has come - fortunately for us! 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Buru said:

Is there another O-O worth seeing at ROH?

Haha I haven’t yet seen a did O-O at ROH so it just comes down to personal preference. If you’re unsure about detaching from MN/VM perhaps go halfway and book Fumi Kaneko & VM. Or as ABBA sang “Take a chance, take a chance….”

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Buru said:

If you don't have any joy on the ROH ordinary website for returns there is always Friday Rush, or the Forum sales or returns. I'd recommend Vadim/Fumi but I am a touch biased!

47 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

Marianela is world famous and a star ballerina, and rightly so, but I cannot agree that her RB colleagues are just « good ». For example, as Capybara mentioned earlier this week, Fumi Kaneko is widely acknowledged now as a world star (see Dance Europe) - she is surely more than good, she is stellar and her  time has come - fortunately for us! 

My personal opinion is that with Fumi and Yasmine Naghdi, the RB (and we the audience) is lucky enough to have amongst its ranks two of the world's finest classical ballerinas.

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Haha I haven’t yet seen a did O-O at ROH so it just comes down to personal preference. If you’re unsure about detaching from MN/VM perhaps go halfway and book Fumi Kaneko & VM. Or as ABBA sang “Take a chance, take a chance….”

Yes....I would recommend Vadim/Fumi and Yasmine/Matthew (although you can see the latter in the cinema soon so if you can only come once perhaps try the former at the ROH and see the latter on the screen).

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes....I would recommend Vadim/Fumi and Yasmine/Matthew (although you can see the latter in the cinema soon so if you can only come once perhaps try the former at the ROH and see the latter on the screen).

This is what I am doing. I'm really looking forward to  seeing Yasmine and Matthew dance as I have seen nearly everyone else dance Odette/Odile and Siegfried except these two. I am also seeing other pairings too later in the run. I can never get enough of SL! There is just so much to love and appreciate in the whole performance, IMO. 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Or as ABBA sang “Take a chance, take a chance….”

And indeed they sang the selfsame plus lots and lots more very beguilingly on ABBA Night last night on the Beeb for those of us not fortunate enough to get a ticket for Marianela and Vadim. Envious? Me? 😢

• Like 4