Royal Ballet - Swan Lake 2024

49 minutes ago, cavycapers said:

Has anyone else had probs, yesterday and today, buying SL tickets on the ROH website please?  It says there are 31 tickets on June 14th for example, but when you go to the seat map there are noe available.\

41 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have just had a look and you're right:  there is no availability anywhere in the House.  @LinMM you may be right, but quite frankly they shouldn't show tickets as being available until they actually ARE available...

As mentioned, this issue has been extensively discussed elsewhere on the forum. In case you missed/can’t find the discussion, in brief:
Taking for example, 14th June Swan Lake:
31 tickets ARE available to purchase so the website is showing correct information.
If you click on the seating plan and there are no seats showing, then it means that these available tickets are NOT currently available to YOU to purchase.  
However, they may be released at a later date if they remain unsold to the groups for whom they have currently been ‘set aside’ e.g. YROH, Access, RBS.

It’s like a reef or shipwreck that is only visible at low tide. These ‘set aside’ seats are always there but only come to one’s notice once the rest of the house is sold out and they have not.

Edited by San Perregrino

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

As mentioned, this issue has been extensively discussed elsewhere on the forum. In case you missed/can’t find the discussion, in brief:
Taking for example, 14th June Swan Lake:
31 tickets ARE available to purchase so the website is showing correct information.
If you click on the seating plan and there are no seats showing, then it means that these available tickets are NOT currently available to YOU to purchase.  
However, they may be released at a later date if they remain unsold to the groups for whom they have currently been ‘set aside’ e.g. YROH, Access, RBS.

It’s like a reef or shipwreck that is only visible at low tide. These ‘set aside’ seats are always there but only come to one’s notice once the rest of the house is sold out and they have not.

Yes, I do understand that.  But as I said, why show the tickets as available to the public when they are clearly NOT available to the public?  Why not simply say '31 tickets available for access holders only' or whoever they have set them aside for?  Then, once they are ready to be sold to the public and released, just remove the words 'for access holders only' so that it then reads as 31 tickets are available for anyone to buy?

• Like 10

Yes, they do need to rectify this in some way, as I spent an evening constantly checking if it was a fault that had been subsequently rectified. 😡  Also, confusingly, if I used the find my seat for me option, it did bring up a stalls circle seat with a pillar blocking the view for me to put in my basket that wasn't available on the seat map 🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, I do understand that.  But as I said, why show the tickets as available to the public when they are clearly NOT available to the public?  Why not simply say '31 tickets available for access holders only' or whoever they have set them aside for?  Then, once they are ready to be sold to the public and released, just remove the words 'for access holders only' so that it then reads as 31 tickets are available for anyone to buy?

I was just trying to explain what I agree is an imperfect system. I found it infuriating until I understood what is happening. The Donmar Warehouse has a very simple message on its website that I have suggested more than once could be adopted. 

Edited by San Perregrino
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sim said:

why show the tickets as available to the public when they are clearly NOT available to the public?  Why not simply say '31 tickets available for access holders only' or whoever they have set them aside for? 

Exactly, it really wastes the valuable time of people who aren’t access holders who think they can buy them. We don’t have the time to be clicking on the date and then seeing nothing available to book. I see this happening frequently for Linbury performances as well which is annoying.

Not very good for the user experience of the website as a whole. That notice should only be seen by access holders who are logged in, otherwise it makes no sense.

• Like 4

I am envious of those who attended today's matinee. If it wasn't for family commitments, I would have loved to have been there. I thought the last two Will/Fumi performances were incredible - out of this world.

I haven't talked about last Thursday as I have been too busy to really do it. However, both Fumi and Will were amazing (as was the whole cast!) Have to say that Leo Dixon seemed much more confident on Thursday and I really, really liked his Benno.

I don't see much point in saying how impressed I was with Will Bracewell - it's kind of a given that I think he's amazing. I do think that he has improved dramatically technically (his solos were excellent in every way) and his Siegfried has such a sadness to him and then a complete wonder as he falls for Odette. He is helpless when with Odile as she mesmerises him and manipulates. 

As for Fumi. She really is a superstar. I can't fault her. Her technique is flawless and her acting is just amazing. I must mention her Odile again - she is so cold, icy, manipulative, calculating but very sensual too - she toys with Siegfried, like a cat playing with a mouse. I loved her in that role and felt she brought a refreshing extra dimension to it. She can do no wrong in my eyes. As for Fumi's fouettés - wow, she is unbeatable, in my eyes. 

Fumi and Will's chemistry is something unique in my eyes. They have something that I think is really special. I feel so lucky to have seen them twice together and do hope they will be cast together again.

All in all, I had a brilliant time on Thursday (except for annoying teenagers in front of me, who fortunately left before the last two acts). 

I hope those able to attend today enjoy SL as much as I did :) 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suffolkgal said:

Oh dear lord. Fumi and William. All that chemistry and sparkle. Sort of makes you wonder if odile and Siegfried could have made a go of it!!

Except that she would chew him up and spit him out whenever she got bored of him!  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Another sublime performance today that almost reduced me to tears from the sheer beauty of it.  Deep sigh.  

I am so jealous! I just can't get enough of their Siegfried and Odette/Odile. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Except that she would chew him up and spit him out whenever she got bored of him!  

She so would! She is a minx - quite honestly, she'd have him for breakfast!  He is so lovelorn and she is just super calculating - she knows how appealing she is and uses it to her advantage. I have to say, I think Fumi's Odile is my favourite ever. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sim said:

Another sublime performance today that almost reduced me to tears from the sheer beauty of it.  Deep sigh.  

31 minutes ago, Sim said:

I rarely post, but I have to agree. So, so beautiful and incredibly moving. 

• Like 8

Glorious, glorious from Will and Fumi.  I loved the impromptu laugh she gave him (not in character) at the end of their Act 3 virtuoso.  Ever so brief, but there it was.  "Smashed it", it said, and so they did.  I've seen all three performances. Nothing will ever be quite the same again. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, alison said:

I just wish I could have seen more of it. I missed so much.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that How did you miss some? 

There have been so many wonderful comments about Fumi and Will during this run of Swan Lake and I now know why. A masterclass in technique and characterisation that also moved me deeply. Lovely supporting performances too. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Swan said:

There have been so many wonderful comments about Fumi and Will during this run of Swan Lake and I now know why. A masterclass in technique and characterisation that also moved me deeply. Lovely supporting performances too. 

I've really loved Leo Dixon as Benno and the whole cast is phenomenal as you say.  I'm staying for the evening performance and can only be in awe of both the stamina and astonishing excellence of all the dancers.   

• Like 2

I have just arrived home on a beautiful high.  Thanks to someone's generosity I was able to be at this very special performance.  Thursday night was wonderful, and this soared even higher.  Fumi's Odette is a beautiful, vulnerable creature, and we can see her physically and emotionally change from being frightened and wary of Siegfried to trusting him totally, and daring to love him.  This makes the later deception even harder for her to bear, and we can completely understand in Act IV why she doesn't accept his abject apology from the beginning:  we watch her learning to trust him once more, with every look, every gesture.  Her arms are things of beauty, her eyes astonishing.  As Odile, was there ever such a temptress?  She is beautiful and she knows it.  She doesn't have to work hard to beguile this Siegfried;  he has no chance against such allure and is like a lamb to the slaughter.  She mocks him with a smile, with her eyes she bats him around like a cat playing with a mouse in the garden.  She lusciously, languidly, lasciviously luxuriates in her seductiveness.  It wasn't only Siegfried who was under her spell;  I think the whole audience was.  Her fouettes were marvellous as always, and I agree with @Linnzi5 that Will's dancing has improved leaps and bounds (pardon pun!).  But with these two, the technical side doesn't really matter to me.  Theirs is a partnership that is so intimate, so empathetic, so pure that sometimes I think  they don't even need an audience; they delight in each other so much.  Every little look, every little extra touch....all of it adds up to a whole that is very special and very rare.  

I must also give a shout-out to the absolutely glorious corps de ballet.  They are in great form and for me are currently up there with the best of the Russians.  When they descend on Von Rothbart at the end of the ballet it's all I can do to stop myself from shouting 'go get him....girl power!' because that's what they convey.  They are together, they are a protective veil for Odette, and when she makes the ultimate sacrifice for them they are going to make damn sure that VR pays for it.  Like real swans, they are graceful but fierce when they need to be, whilst remaining beautiful.  

Excellent dancing from the entire cast....Valentino Zucchetti's tambourine seemed to have a life of its own in the Neapolitan Dance (he dropped it, and then so did the usher he threw it to!).  Also, Isabella Gasparini danced it with him, when it was listed as Madison Bailey.  No announcement, so it must have been a last-minute change.  Ditto Ashley Dean replaced her as a cygnet; no announcement.  I do hope Madison is okay.

A wonderful way to end the long weekend, and I extend a huge thanks to everybody on that stage (and in the orchestra pit) for making me so very happy.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have just arrived home on a beautiful high.  Thanks to someone's generosity I was able to be at this very special performance.  Thursday night was wonderful, and this soared even higher.  Fumi's Odette is a beautiful, vulnerable creature, and we can see her physically and emotionally change from being frightened and wary of Siegfried to trusting him totally, and daring to love him.  This makes the later deception even harder for her to bear, and we can completely understand in Act IV why she doesn't accept his abject apology from the beginning:  we watch her learning to trust him once more, with every look, every gesture.  Her arms are things of beauty, her eyes astonishing.  As Odile, was there ever such a temptress?  She is beautiful and she knows it.  She doesn't have to work hard to beguile this Siegfried;  he has no chance against such allure and is like a lamb to the slaughter.  She mocks him with a smile, with her eyes she bats him around like a cat playing with a mouse in the garden.  She lusciously, languidly, lasciviously luxuriates in her seductiveness.  It wasn't only Siegfried who was under her spell;  I think the whole audience was.  Her fouettes were marvellous as always, and I agree with @Linnzi5 that Will's dancing has improved leaps and bounds (pardon pun!).  But with these two, the technical side doesn't really matter to me.  Theirs is a partnership that is so intimate, so empathetic, so pure that sometimes I think  they don't even need an audience; they delight in each other so much.  Every little look, every little extra touch....all of it adds up to a whole that is very special and very rare.  

I must also give a shout-out to the absolutely glorious corps de ballet.  They are in great form and for me are currently up there with the best of the Russians.  When they descend on Von Rothbart at the end of the ballet it's all I can do to stop myself from shouting 'go get him....girl power!' because that's what they convey.  They are together, they are a protective veil for Odette, and when she makes the ultimate sacrifice for them they are going to make damn sure that VR pays for it.  Like real swans, they are graceful but fierce when they need to be, whilst remaining beautiful.  

Excellent dancing from the entire cast....Valentino Zucchetti's tambourine seemed to have a life of its own in the Neapolitan Dance (he dropped it, and then so did the usher he threw it to!).  Also, Isabella Gasparini danced it with him, when it was listed as Madison Bailey.  No announcement, so it must have been a last-minute change.  Ditto Ashley Dean replaced her as a cygnet; no announcement.  I do hope Madison is okay.

A wonderful way to end the long weekend, and I extend a huge thanks to everybody on that stage (and in the orchestra pit) for making me so very happy.  

The corps were just stunning. They mesmerised me. Such control and each dancer showed such control and beauty. 

Lol at the tambourine. I really feel nervous when they are thrown - I just don't know how they catch them, or don't in this case! I didn't realise Isabella Gasparini danced the Neapolitan Dance. Madison Bailey was amazing, so I hope she's ok.

Technical fireworks are not important to me, so I'm with you on this. I was so impressed with Will Bracewell though - he gave me everything I expected and more - he is unique, as far as I'm concerned. As for Fumi? She is just one of a kind, too. Together? I don't know what it is. The chemistry they have is undefinable. But, I think they have something so rare and perfect. I feel so lucky! 

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that How did you miss some? 

Rather more of a viewing restriction than expected owing to the people in front ☹️

Sim, the cast sheet I saw maybe 30 mins before the show had Gasparini in the Neapolitan dance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alison said:

Rather more of a viewing restriction than expected owing to the people in front ☹️

Sim, the cast sheet I saw maybe 30 mins before the show had Gasparini in the Neapolitan dance.

Mine said Madison so they obviously changed it nearer to show time, hence no announcement.

2 hours ago, Amanda Liu said:

I somehow feel that, since this involves Anna Rose as well and so fundamentally, the announcement should have come first from the RB/ROH.

The thought of this possible change did strike me when Mayara disappeared from the casting for Danses Concertantes at the time when Anna Rose also had to withdraw. So sorry for Anna Rose…..

(Similarly, on IG, Joseph Sissens appears to be confirming that Akane will dance O/O with him.)

(Edited to add that Mayara’s story on IG was a re-post of her upcoming performance schedule from her agent. They (StageFieldEntertainment) should not, imho, have jumped the gun.)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

(Similarly, on IG, Joseph Sissens appears to be confirming that Akane will dance O/O with him.)

Well that’s good news at least!

I feel so bad for Anna-Rose.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, alison said:

How frustrating. I had an issue with two teenage boys in front of me on Thursday night - one playing on his mobile phone, arm-wrestling his brother, talking to his dad who was two seats away . . . it was very distracting, though a lady next to the lad asked him to put his phone away, well, told him to - I was pleased she did!  I did speak to a member of staff in between acts 2 and 3 and she was amazing - kept coming over to speak to the people and when they didn't arrive, kept checking and then spoke to me. I was very impressed and delighted when the annoying people didn't return for the last two acts. I had a great view, but the boys (about 15 and 17 I'd guess, so should have known better, but clearly didn't want to be there) were very irritating and kept distracting me. So, I feel your pain with audience members getting in the way of the view! 

• Like 1

Ah I’m so pleased for those who could see Fumi and Will, sorry I couldn’t be there but reading your reviews and seeing Rob’s pictures are the next best thing. Definitely my priority to book for next run, I’ll be upset if they’re not cast together then! 

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I agree that the website showing “tickets available” only to show a totally greyed out screen is a massive frustration and will lead many to question if the website is working snd wasting time checking back at a later time or contacting ROH etc. The technology should be available (and ROH should prioritise fixing this if it’s not) to show performances are sold out *unless* you are signed in and are eligible for them and not the other way round. I’m fairly certain other websites don’t work in this convoluted way! 

Is O’Sullivan injured? I wonder if she’ll be able to do the Ashton triple in a few months if that’s the case. Hopefully she will be able to dance that! 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JNC said:

Is O’Sullivan injured? I wonder if she’ll be able to do the Ashton triple in a few months if that’s the case. Hopefully she will be able to dance that! 

I hope she’ll still do Rhapsody in June, I’m looking forward to seeing her in that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Do any current RB Siegfrieds apart from Muntagirov do double-double tours in Act III? I'm trying to remember from the 2022 run & failing.

No. Maybe, when Cesar Corrales is fully fit again, there will be another, but not currently or previously.

The double-doubles are pretty incredible and ramp up the excitement in that pdd considerably.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2