ROH booking discussion - summer 2024

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Summer booking went extremely well for me on Tuesday - General Rehearsals, the Ashton triples and Sarasota programmes, Winter’s Tales, an extra Swan Lake, and the Pappano gala. I think I was finished by 9:40, my third purchase as I didn’t want to fall foul of the 30 minute checkout timer and I also decided to stay an extra night to see a couple more Sarasota performances. No waiting and no problems at all with the website.

• Like 8

Lucky you, John S. I get the impression that the Sarasota tickets are going fast. While that's great for the company and ROH it's not so good for lower level Friends or the general public. I have been to every single Ashton masterclass, sometimes at great inconvenience- yet there are unlikely to be tickets left when I am allowed to book. A while back I wrote to Kevin to ask if regular attendees to the masterclasses could be allowed priority booking. He replied that it would be too complicated,  which I understand. But the outcome will be that some wealthier Friends will secure tickets, even though they have rarely if ever attended a masterclass, while devotees like me may not be able to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I still can’t get over what a stupid idea it was to put the Sarasota company in the Linbury 😡

I wish Sarasota Ballet every success and will try to see them dance as I enjoy Linbury presentations. However, to play Devil’s Advocate for a moment, who?, beyond a few ballet lovers, has heard of Sarasota Ballet? If it wasn’t for all the doom and gloom about possible ticket scarcity on BcF I wouldn’t have known that it is potentially a ‘hot ticket’. And, in the end, it may be that there are enough tickets to go round.
Far better surely to test the waters and have a sold out season in the Linbury (if indeed that happens) and have them return on the back of their success than have them dance in an empty main house. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Far better surely to test the waters and have a sold out season in the Linbury (if indeed that happens) and have them return on the back of their success than have them dance in an empty main house. 

I see your point. But given that it's Ashton? I feel like the main stage would have been a sell out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear! Sarasota is a fairly well known company among more than a  few fans I think! It might have been very interesting to have had both companies on the same bill performing  Ashton ballets  on the main stage. Compare, contrast and luxuriate in all the Ashton magic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I see your point. But given that it's Ashton? I feel like the main stage would have been a sell out.

But will it? 
Two Pigeons/Rhapsody didn’t sell out. The general public don’t really know who Ashton or MacMillan are and with rising prices vs so many West End deals I just can’t see the main stage selling out for the Royal Ballet without offers..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Maybe one compromise would have been one night only on the main stage (preferably Saturday matinee, or at least Saturday evening for non-London folk) presented as a special gala/guest company (sort of akin to the summer visiting company, especially as it doesn’t appear we’re getting a guest ballet company this summer). Then they could have done additional evenings in the Linbury.

I’m sure they would have been able to sell out one main stage performance, but even if not the additional ticket prices they could charge (even if they did £10 ROH or Friend discounts) would still bring enough in. As it’s a “Gala” people would generally be fine with plain backgrounds and excerpts. 

They sold out the Margot Fonteyn Gala fine a few years ago…this would be similar in some ways I think. 

I’ve already resigned myself to not seeing them in the Linbury by the time General Booking opens. I’m planning to write an email to ROH if that happens expressing my disappointment and frustration. I doubt it’ll do much but if lots of others do the same maybe they’ll at least reconsider if anything ever happens in future (unlikely but nothing to lose). 

I would be interested to get an update from Friends after their booking opens to know whether they have definitely sold out! As I don’t live in London I’m already limited to Friday-Sunday performances so I don’t rate my chances at all. I even considered buying Friends membership to be in with a better chance but to be honest I really can’t afford it and it seems options will be minimal even for regular Friends given the limited seats in the Linbury. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

Well, yes, but a Sadler's Wells venue would probably have been a better size, I think.  That's always the trouble: size-wise, there's nothing between the main stage and the Linbury at the ROH.  But I do agree that it seems perverse to be potentially splitting your audience between two venues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alison said:

Well, yes, but a Sadler's Wells venue would probably have been a better size, I think.

I think the invitation for Sarasota to perform in London was extended by the ROH? The relevant people would have discussed the size, suitability (and availability) of venue to ensure that any programme presented would be given the best chance of success. 

Sadlers Wells does its own programming so unlikely to have been involved in the above.  If Sarasota proves to be a popular and commercial success perhaps it will be invited to perform at Sadlers Wells  at a future date. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JNC said:

I’ve already resigned myself to not seeing them in the Linbury by the time General Booking opens. I’m planning to write an email to ROH if that happens expressing my disappointment and frustration. I doubt it’ll do much but if lots of others do the same maybe they’ll at least reconsider if anything ever happens in future (unlikely but nothing to lose). 

It's possible there is a ticket limit though as with other events in the Linbury. This provides a fairer opportunity. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alison said:

seems perverse to be potentially splitting your audience between two venues.

Putting casting to one side, the only overlap is on 6 & 7 June with these programmes repeated on other dates so it is possible to see everything on offer.

The programming does allow a person the possibility to see all 5 Ashton programmes (3 x Sarasota, 2 x RB) in just 4 days. Great for visitors from afar.
For those people for whom it is easier to travel in for single performances the programming allows greater flexibility over a longer period of time. 
Only someone who wanted to see every step of every performance danced would be disappointed. This was the same with the recent New Choreography festival with programmes in both the main house and the Linbury making it impossible to see each and every performance of both programmes.

Being in the Linbury does have the advantage that seats are reasonably priced at £5-£45 except the 8th June gala which is £10-£110 as one might expect but still well below main house ticket prices.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

On 22/02/2024 at 17:10, Blossom said:

Any feedback on Summer booking from premium friends?

I was about 17 events into my booking when I "lost my basket" (i.e. only the most recently selected tickets were in my basket and the rest were in another basket to which I no longer had access).  Very annoying.  In the end, though, I got everything I wanted (all the tickets from my original basket were released again at 0930), just with a lot more stress and an extra 15 minutes.

Also annoying that the Ashton insight was taken off sale just before booking.

• Like 2

Peter S ….I wasn’t proposing them to perform in the main house at ROH but to be somewhere like Sadlers Wells. 
If Sadlers Wells wasn’t available this year I’d rather have waited another year to see them. 
If it should turn out like you surmise and we all get the tickets at the Linbury that we want then no problems of course …panic over!! 
But I think Ashton has a certain following and not just in London. I don’t sit in restricted view seats these days for ballet unless very minor  so although I do like the Linbury if you can get a reasonable seat it’s not the best venue for sight lines so am not that hopeful to be honest though hope you are proved right! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Lucky you, John S. I get the impression that the Sarasota tickets are going fast. 

I have just looked and one show has 94 tickets left and the others all have 100+.  I checked two of the 100+ shows and there are tickets in all areas (in fact, it looks like there are more tickets available now than when I did my booking), except standing (which I think may not have been released yet, though I may be wrong).

But the outcome will be that some wealthier Friends will secure tickets, even though they have rarely if ever attended a masterclass, while devotees like me may not be able to go.

How very presumptuous and, to be frank, downright insulting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I was about 17 events into my booking when I "lost my basket" (i.e. only the most recently selected tickets were in my basket and the rest were in another basket to which I no longer had access).  Very annoying.  In the end, though, I got everything I wanted (all the tickets from my original basket were released again at 0930), just with a lot more stress and an extra 15 minutes.

Also annoying that the Ashton insight was taken off sale just before booking.

We need a ‘shocked’ response button/emoji.
Somewhat dreading Wednesday morning as I only have very specific dates I am able to do in June… 

3 minutes ago, Blossom said:

We need a ‘shocked’ response button/emoji.
Somewhat dreading Wednesday morning as I only have very specific dates I am able to do in June… 

I think, from now on, I’ll be closing off bookings in groups of 7 or 8 events!

• Like 2

A while back I wrote to Kevin to ask if regular attendees to the masterclasses could be allowed priority booking. He replied that it would be too complicated,  which I understand. But the outcome will be that some wealthier Friends will secure tickets, even though they have rarely if ever attended a masterclass, while devotees like me may not be able to go.

I don’t get your logic!

So people who have been lucky enough to get Insight tickets in the past are further rewarded with priority booking for this one? Sorry, but that’s rubbish surely?

And I don’t think anyone’s financial status is relevant here.

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

I don’t get your logic!

So people who have been lucky enough to get Insight tickets in the past are further rewarded with priority booking for this one? Sorry, but that’s rubbish surely?

I think SheilaC might have been referring to the FAF Masterclasses.

Edited by Lizbie1
Typo!
  • Thanks 2

I can see why it’s fair that Friends do get priority as that’s what they pay for and support ROH (in turn in some way supporting us to all see ROH). (If it’s relevant I speak as someone who used to be a Friend but is no longer.) 

what I do have a problem with, if this is in fact the case as the information around this is murky, is that there is a chance that all seats will be sold out before the general public gets a chance to get tickets. For main stage performances they do have to keep some tickets back (or at least they did in the past) but this seems unclear for the Linbury.

I would love to be proved wrong and be able to select a ticket for a Friday or Saturday performance when general booking opens but I am realistic this probably won’t be the case! 

I don’t think it’s really relevant what events you have or haven’t attended previously frankly - you could either be a hardcore Ashton fan or someone merely interested in something new, for me it’s about trying to make it as fair as possible for everyone to get tickets with the understanding that it’s also reasonable for paying friends to get first priority (but in my view unreasonable for paying friends to be able to buy all tickets available, hopefully that won’t be the case!). 

I also know if you keep an eye on returns a day or two before it’s likely people would be able to pick something up, but don’t live in London this isn’t much consolation to me.

Edited by JNC
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, JNC said:

what I do have a problem with, if this is in fact the case as the information around this is murky, is that there is a chance that all seats will be sold out before the general public gets a chance to get tickets. For main stage performances they do have to keep some tickets back (or at least they did in the past) but this seems unclear for the Linbury.

When I enquired at the box office yesterday I was assured that, as with the main house, a number of seats in the Linbury are held back for general booking. It was pointed out to me that these may sell quickly as the Linbury capacity is much less than the main house.

*the box office couldn’t tell me how many seats are held back. the release of tickets for sale at any point is under the control of another department. (Sales??).

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, PeterS said:

When I enquired at the box office yesterday I was assured that, as with the main house, a number of seats in the Linbury are held back for general booking.

Yes, my understanding too.

Though of course, if say 20-25% kept back for PB, that still leaves only 30-ish tickets to fight over, when a couple of thousand people looking to book (not all going for the Linbury of course) at 9-9.30am

• Like 2

Gosh this booking will be more stressful than usual…! I’m glad they are keeping some back but yes given the size of the Linbury it still doesn’t inspire much hope! Thanks for the info though.

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Yes, my understanding too.

Though of course, if say 20-25% kept back for PB, that still leaves only 30-ish tickets to fight over, when a couple of thousand people looking to book (not all going for the Linbury of course) at 9-9.30am

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Gosh this booking will be more stressful than usual…! I’m glad they are keeping some back but yes given the size of the Linbury it still doesn’t inspire much hope! Thanks for the info though.

there are 353 seats total for each performance.  

if as @zxDaveM suggests, 20-25% of the seats are kept back for PB, that would equate to 70-90 seats per performance plus any that are unsold during Friends booking.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PeterS said:

there are 353 seats total for each performance.  

if as @zxDaveM suggests, 20-25% of the seats are kept back for PB, that would equate to 70-90 seats per performance plus any that are unsold during Friends booking.

I was guestimating - and didn't realise there were that many in the Linbury (though many on the sides should be less than 1/3rd price, as that's about all you see of the stage). Also, the % kept back may be lower than I guessed - would be nice to know actually, what the figure actually is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

Will this do?  :o  (colon + O)

I meant alongside the like (heart) and thanks button to save quoting and adding an emoji! But this will do otherwise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

I was guestimating - and didn't realise there were that many in the Linbury (though many on the sides should be less than 1/3rd price, as that's about all you see of the stage). Also, the % kept back may be lower than I guessed - would be nice to know actually, what the figure actually is...

On the basis of what’s available today, it would appear that it is only “good seats” and maybe standing that are held back.

IMG_3818.jpeg

• Thanks 3

I for one would be ecstatic if the seat map still looked like that by the time of public booking! I'd gladly sit in the front 2 rows. However with 5 more lots of Friends to book before the general public can get anywhere near the tickets I fear that it certainly won't.

• Like 4

The stress of booking day is also caused by not knowing what to 'go for ' first, with so much to book,  but it is starting to look as if it might not be worth spending precious first moments fossicking about with the Linbury performances trying to find a seat with a view, while the seats I want in the main house are getting snapped up!

I shall schedule a mindful deep breathing session before booking ........

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mary said:

The stress of booking day is also caused by not knowing what to 'go for ' first, with so much to book,  but it is starting to look as if it might not be worth spending precious first moments fossicking about with the Linbury performances trying to find a seat with a view, while the seats I want in the main house are getting snapped up!

I shall schedule a mindful deep breathing session before booking ........

Thus is so true! Far too much time wasted going from one date to another searching out seats that turn out to be unavailable and losing others in the process. 

• Like 2