DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see a problem with RB dancers flying somewhere in Europe to dance, provided the flight isn't too long.  Presumably if they are travelling further afield, then issues such as different time zones, jet lag and so on are factors that have to be taken into consideration.   I am sure professional athletes, whether they are dancers or marathon runners, do this when they plan their schedules?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Can someone please inform me what happened? I don’t really have the time to look through 2 Pages. My current presumption is that Natalia could make the RB performance? Sorry as I wasn’t there and need some explaining.

Don't worry, Benjamin, that you have no time to look through 2 Pages. It is not about ballet. Your presumption is correct - Natalia did dance the RB Don Q. last Saturday to the delight of an enthusiastic audience and will dance again this coming Friday.

Since no recording of that performance, naturally, is available you might like to look at the amazing versatile fouettés she was doing in different ballets, inc. Don Q. As a dancer she is very imaginative and always craving to try something new, something different.

Edited by Amelia
Added the last para.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I went to an encore showing this afternoon and the lighting was fine. Interestingly they had edited out Mayara's fall.

Unfortunately the cinema I've just seen an encore at evidently didn't get the memo because we saw the fall.

I just want to say that seeing these reviews of this run of Don Q proves to me what a diverse and multi-faceted artist Calvin Richardson is, playing both Gamache and Espada so effectively! I am constantly in awe of his talent and range and I really hope he is promoted to principal at some point. Cannot wait to hear about his des Grieux!

• Like 17

I wonder if the one who stood out to you is who also stood out to me? Blonde, not tall, he did a fantastic split jump a la Muntagirov that was past 180 degrees. 

He was also always very lively and technically impressive: Marco Masciari I think ? (I hope I have his name correctly.)

I'll write further about the performance on Saturday afternoon as soon as I can. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JanetW said:

I wonder if the one who stood out to you is who also stood out to me? Blonde, not tall, he did a fantastic split jump a la Muntagirov that was past 180 degrees. 

He was also always very lively and technically impressive: Marco Masciari I think ? (I hope I have his name correctly.)

I'll write further about the performance on Saturday afternoon as soon as I can. 

Probably Marco Masciari. He has changed his hair colour and style quite recently.

• Like 1

At the encore relay in the cinema today … Mayara was just wonderful throughout.  I didn’t mind about the slip on the final pirouette of her fouettés which were otherwise brilliant.  It was not edited out.  Maybe it helped to be forewarned. She has sensational hops on pointe in the Dryad scene.  It’s a long time since I’ve seen anyone move across the stage in such strides and so serenely.  Fabulous.  But it was her characterisation that most impressed … the way she threw herself into the role and the technique.  She’s clearly a risk taker 👏👏👏

I loved Matthew’s flair, cheekiness and characterisation.  He has clearly worked on and improved his technique, with some super pirouettes… it’s just not enough for this bravura role for me.  Jumps need to be higher, jetes more splits, saut de basques more clean, etc.   I cannot wait to see Calvin given a chance at Basilio.   Though he has been delicious as both Espada (in cinema cast) and Gamache (seen in person).  

I thoroughly enjoyed the ever cheerful Isabella Gasparini as Amour (the lightness of her dancing), and also Leticia Dias’s assured performance as Mercedes especially in the very difficult first act solo.  Annette Buvoli was a standout as Queen of the Dryads … gorgeous stroking off the floor with her glissades at the start of that fiendish solo.  

The 4 ruffians deserve to be listed on the cast sheet.  

what a cast 👏👏👏

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 13

Is there another error on the cast sheet for tonight?  Mariko Sasaki is listed as Queen of the Dryads but I was expecting to see Sumina Sasaki.  Sumina even posted on her IG  about it this morning.  I am happy to see either Mariko or Sumina (both are gorgeous dancers) but I would expect a note on the cast sheet if Mariko is replacing Sumina tonight.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56226

• Like 1

Why is it, I wonder, that when you click the link people's names are shown (correctly) in title case, but when you go to Print you get them all in upper case, which is so much more difficult to read?  (Sorry, the realisation has really only just struck me)

30 minutes ago, Silke H said:

Mariko Sasaki is listed as Queen of the Dryads

I wasn't paying attention so I sort of read that as Marco Masciari, and for a minute I was imagining what that might look like. Have to say I wouldn't mind it :))

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Silke H said:

Is there another error on the cast sheet for tonight?  Mariko Sasaki is listed as Queen of the Dryads but I was expecting to see Sumina Sasaki.  Sumina even posted on her IG  about it this morning.  I am happy to see either Mariko or Sumina (both are gorgeous dancers) but I would expect a note on the cast sheet if Mariko is replacing Sumina tonight.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/don-quixote-by-carlos-acosta/cast-list/56226

I too was surprised to see the "wrong" Sasaki listed but in terms of a replacement being noted on the cast sheet isn't that only done for roles that have been announced in advance, i.e. in Don Q only for Kitri & Basilio?

Just now, Dawnstar said:

I too was surprised to see the "wrong" Sasaki listed but in terms of a replacement being noted on the cast sheet isn't that only done for roles that have been announced in advance, i.e. in Don Q only for Kitri & Basilio?

possibly.  you might be right, @Dawnstar 

but in any case, I think it's a typo by an unknowledgeable or non-caring ROH admin person as Sumina Sasaki has just a few minutes ago put her earlier wall post up in her stories.

• Like 1

I know when Sancho Panza was changed from Masciari to Ikarashi the other week there was no indication on the cast sheet. Maybe the error has arisen from Mariko Sasaki being listed further up the cast sheet as one of Kitri's Friends & someone's done a copy & paste without thinking it through. Hopefully it'll get fixed, as it's not fair on either dancer.

• Like 3

I hope everyone enjoys this evening’s performance. I missed Osipova (in both senses) this run since she pulled out of the performance with Sambe that I was due to see and I can’t make tonight as I’m at Ballet Black’s Pioneers. Which I am equally looking forward to. I would have loved to have been there tonight though. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 19:57, NikkiB said:

If anyone manages to get a photo of Beth meeting the King I would be most grateful 😀

IMG_2368.thumb.webp.762d600b8f9e913c359627f2f2b15df2.webp

Did you get any photos of Beth?  

This is the header photo of a 'Friends' email. I’m sure that the Friends editor will have more photos 

• Like 5

There was a pre-curtain announcement that the cast sheet was wrong & it is going to be Sumina Sasaki as Queen of the Dryads.

Having Clarke & Brandesrod in the same cast really is spoiling the female audience! I think this is the most I've liked Osipova, or at least joint with Laurencia - maybe I should only see her in Spanish roles!

• Like 4

Tonight, at the end of the performance, during the curtain calls Kevin O'Hare went on stage to celebrate the 10 years of Natalia Osipova at the Royal Ballet, with a beautiful moving speech. Standing ovation and lots of flowers.

Such a nice, charming initiative!

Edited by Paco
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, Paco said:

Tonight, at the end of the performance, during the curtain calls Kevin O'Hare went on stage to celebrate the 10 years of Natalia Osipova at the Royal Ballet, with a beautiful moving speech. Standing ovation and lots of flowers.

That was fab evening. I have to admit my heart stopped during the flower throw. I thought Kevin had come onstage to announce Natalia's retirement !! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Agree that such recognition is very nice but I can't quite get my head round the rationale: Marianela was celebrated at 20 years, then again at 25; for others, 25 seems to be the norm, with some notable exceptions (e.g. Christopher Saunders at 40 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

Agree that such recognition is very nice but I can't quite get my head round the rationale: Marianela was celebrated at 20 years, then again at 25; for others, 25 seems to be the norm, with some notable exceptions (e.g. Christopher Saunders at 40 years.

Maybe KOH is starting a new tradition?  Let's see if anyone else hitting the 10-year mark in the future is honored in the same way. 

Edited by oncnp

21 minutes ago, PeterS said:

That was fab evening. I have to admit my heart stopped during the flower throw. I thought Kevin had come onstage to announce Natalia's retirement !! 

I thought that too for a second! Re-reading the cast sheet I see it actually says on there that it's Osipova's 10th anniversary but earlier I skipped past the blurb & just read the actual cast list so missed it. I suppose Osipova probably won't make it to a 20th anniversary, let alone a 25th, so they decided to do something for her 10th. She did look very touched & slightly teary.

PS I loved it when Avis picked up a flower from the stage & handed it to Richardson when they did their red run. No hard feelings between Lorenzo & Gamache!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5

I thought Kevin O’Hare’s speech spot on, recognising both Natalia Osipova’s unique contribution to the Royal Ballet and the difficulties artists face in these challenging times. Kevin didn’t need to make any explicit reference to Russia but what he said clearly hit the mark for Natalia. I don’t think the flower throw was as extravagant as for 25th anniversaries or retirements but it seemed entirely fitting for the occasion. Quite unexpected but hugely welcome and I’m sure Natalia will have been very touched by the flower throw, Kevin’s speech, and the audience’s reaction.

• Like 13

I was also worried by the flower throw … thinking retirement or maybe she was leaving, or that this was her last DQ ever.  

Natalia looked very tentative to me when jumping and getting on/off those tables.  I’m guessing she is carrying an injury.

What I say next I know will be at odds with many here … the truth is I’m so sad and disappointed to see the parody of herself that she has become.  I wish she’d retire from dancing the classics, so that the memories of her past glories can remain.  She should stick to narrative and contemporary ballets.  

I don’t understand the adoration today (many standing, not all) except as respect to her past achievements.  That I can agree with. 

Her technique post Covid is an embarrassment. (it was declining in 2019).   Today she had terrible feet and shoes, bent knees when they should be straight, especially the supporting leg in fouettés, turned in movements, shoulders lifted, chicken wing arms in pirouettes, often flat footed inbetween steps, and she can’t even tie her ribbons neatly to improve the foot and leg line.   

I don’t know what she was doing with facial expressions and characterisation today.  Overcompensating for the mess happening below is my guess. It was OTT and appropriate for a circus or gymnastics show, not for classical ballet.

Clips from her own shows in Dubai and Abu Dhabi reveal the same problems.  

Sad. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FionaM said:

What I say next I know will be at odds with many here … the truth is I’m so sad and disappointed to see the parody of herself that she has become.  I wish she’d retire from dancing the classics, so that the memories of her past glories can remain.  She should stick to narrative and contemporary ballets.  

I don’t understand the adoration today (many standing, not all) except as respect to her past achievements.  That I can agree with. 

I wasn't there yesterday but I saw her previous performance. I agree with some of what you say, but I think the adoration is because her past achievements are still present in her current performances. Disregarding her technique, she was and is so special for other qualities entirely, in my view (drama, commitment, vivacity, focus, unpredictability, power). She's the nearest I've seen to Nureyev, who continued to be adored when his technique was gone. Osipova's technique has not gone, but it is declining and is most exposed in purely classical roles.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I suppose Osipova probably won't make it to a 20th anniversary, let alone a 25th, so they decided to do something for her 10th. She did look very touched & slightly teary.

That sounds right- and a very good idea. Especially at the end of a run  in which she danced her signature role.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FionaM said:

I was also worried by the flower throw … thinking retirement or maybe she was leaving, or that this was her last DQ ever.  

Natalia looked very tentative to me when jumping and getting on/off those tables.  I’m guessing she is carrying an injury.

Her technique post Covid is an embarrassment. (it was declining in 2019).   Today she had terrible feet and shoes, bent knees when they should be straight, especially the supporting leg in fouettés, turned in movements, shoulders lifted, chicken wing arms in pirouettes, often flat footed inbetween steps, and she can’t even tie her ribbons neatly to improve the foot and leg line.   

I don’t know what she was doing with facial expressions and characterisation today.  Overcompensating for the mess happening below is my guess. It was OTT and appropriate for a circus or gymnastics show, not for classical ballet.

Clips from her own shows in Dubai and Abu Dhabi reveal the same problems.  

Sad. 

What you say is not at odds with me and I think you are entitled to your views. Though I can’t agree with all that you say (I didn’t feel that Osipova was a parody of herself) I do think you make some valid points. I too noticed a lot of flat feet and technical differences (I won’t go into them as you have listed some things I noticed) and wondered if she was injured or ill. 

i haven’t seen Osipova dance in a few years and was surprised at the differences I saw. I agree with @bridiem and would say there is a decline that is more obvious, perhaps, in purely classical roles. What I did love though, was her joy of dancing - her constant humour and the smile on her face. Did I like all of her characterisation? Not all of it.  Did I enjoy watching her? I actually did. I found her joy compelling to see. I didn’t always like that she altered some choreography, but that’s just personal taste and she is Natalia Osipova, so who am I to question that?

Overall, I didn’t feel last night’s performance was one of the stronger ones I’d seen in quite a few areas, though I did enjoy the evening, despite me not feeling that great (I have laryngitis, much to my husband’s

delight!) 

I will do a proper post about how I felt later. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Linnzi5 said:

What you say is not at odds with me and I think you are entitled to your views. Though I can’t agree with all that you say (I didn’t feel that Osipova was a parody of herself) I do think you make some valid points. I too noticed a lot of flat feet and technical differences (I won’t go into them as you have listed some things I noticed) and wondered if she was injured or ill. 

i haven’t seen Osipova dance in a few years and was surprised at the differences I saw. I agree with @bridiem and would say there is a decline that is more obvious, perhaps, in purely classical roles. What I did love though, was her joy of dancing - her constant humour and the smile on her face. Did I like all of her characterisation? Not all of it.  Did I enjoy watching her? I actually did. I found her joy compelling to see. I didn’t always like that she altered some choreography, but that’s just personal taste and she is Natalia Osipova, so who am I to question that?

Overall, I didn’t feel last night’s performance was one of the stronger ones I’d seen in quite a few areas, though I did enjoy the evening, despite me not feeling that great (I have laryngitis, much to my husband’s

delight!) 

I will do a proper post about how I felt later. 

Edit: When I say I haven’t seen Osipova dance in a few years, I mean in big, classical ballets. I have seen her in other, shorter works.

• Like 1