DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Another awesome performance from Naghdi/Ball tonight!  They danced with such joy and abandon.  It was a delight to behold.  

Tonight was joyous indeed. It had precision, exuberance and buckets of charm. Yasmine’s Kitri was irresistible and Matthew was charisma itself. Wonderful!

• Like 7

Something I have not seen before...(with apologies for any inaccurate technicalities) William Bracewell opened his Act 3 solo with graceful, slow, silent move into an arabesque, before the music kicked in....very unexpected (for me at least)  eye-catching and dramatic. Followed by a superb bravura solo....  I can't really believe this was his Basilio debut!  

And I'm pretty sure Fumi did virtually all the first half of her fouettés as doubles, before finishing with singles....so very strong and  confident! 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Something I have not seen before...(with apologies for any inaccurate technicalities) William Bracewell opened his Act 3 solo with graceful, slow, silent move into an arabesque, before the music kicked in....

I’m afraid I didn’t ‘get’ this at all. For me, it didn’t gel with the Basilio character  Will had given us up to that point nor with the choreography of the variation which followed. Strange!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Something I have not seen before...(with apologies for any inaccurate technicalities) William Bracewell opened his Act 3 solo with graceful, slow, silent move into an arabesque, before the music kicked in....very unexpected (for me at least)  eye-catching and dramatic. Followed by a superb bravura solo....  I can't really believe this was his Basilio debut!  

And I'm pretty sure Fumi did virtually all the first half of her fouettés as doubles, before finishing with singles....so very strong and  confident! 

I forgot to mention this. I was very surprised and thought initially, um, where's the orchestra?! I then realised it was one of Will's lovely moves that he holds for impossible amounts of time. I liked it, personally, though can understand why some may not. I thought, technically, he was superb - though not flashy, I mean he's not your Cesar or Marci type of dancer. I just watched the ROH stream of DonQ with Carlos and Marianela and his choreography was otherwise pretty identical to that of Carlos. So I am super impressed - and it was his debut! 

What I also noticed is that I preferred Will's line to that of some of the Basilios' -  he is so graceful and just inhabits the character. As it said in the Times article, '...admired for his impeccable classical line and dramatic flair, for his effortless ease of movement and sensitive musicality...'  That sums it up for me. 

Edited by Linnzi5
corrected grammar
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, capybara said:

I’m afraid I didn’t ‘get’ this at all. For me, it didn’t gel with the Basilio character  Will had given us up to that point nor with the choreography of the variation which followed. Strange!

I can understand that viewpoint....but I liked how he was trying something different and, yes, showing off a bit, for which I forgive him!

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes. I do understand what you are saying, though I rather liked it. 

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing tomorrow's performance and comparing. At the moment, I know who my favourite overall Basilio is likley to be (taking everything into account). I think it will be difficult to choose a favourite Kitri though - there may well be a tie at the top, which is brilliant, I think. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I thought, technically, he was superb - though not flashy, I mean he's not your Cesar or Marci type of dancer…

What I also noticed is that I preferred Will's line to some of the Basilios -  he is so graceful and just inhabits the character.

Taking the Basilios you have mentioned, and adding Matthew Ball to the mix since I was there yesterday evening, I would describe Bracewell’s style as poetic, Sambe as cheeky, Corrales as barnstorming and Ball as elegant with a twist. There has to be room for every type of Basilio and it will be a matter of personal preference which each of us prefer. I am, though, sorry that we won’t get the chance to see Corrales this run as I think that he could have delivered something very exciting. 

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Taking the Basilios you have mentioned, and adding Matthew Ball to the mix since I was there yesterday evening, I would describe Bracewell’s style as poetic, Sambe as cheeky, Corrales as barnstorming and Ball as elegant with a twist. There has to be room for every type of Basilio and it will be a matter of personal preference which each of us prefer. I am, though, sorry that we won’t get the chance to see Corrales this run as I think that he could have delivered something very exciting. 

Yes, I agree. I liked Matthew Ball's Basilio very much, what's not to love? - he is definitely one of my favourite dancers, probably my second favourite overall, though I agree with some who think comparisons can be odious and it's all subjective, of course. I think there is a place for all types of dancers and have loved Sambe's and Corrales' performances (and Vadim's) - especially in the more technically flash roles, where I think they really shine. Actually, I don't believe there are any principals I don't like, though as I can't go to all performances, alas, I have to choose. I should try and stand more often then I could go to more, though getting standing seats is not always easy! 

I wonder who forum members have particularly liked as Kitri? So far, I have loved Fumi and thought Yasmine was breathtakingly wonderful - she just shone in the role, IMO. I didn't get to see Anna Rose O'Sullivan (who I have heard great things about) and I am looking forward to seeing Mayara Magri and Marianela Nuñez. I'm sorry not to see Akane Takada this run. 

• Like 2

I have only seen yesterday’s matinee but I was reminded that this is such an anaemic version after the full-blooded versions we used to see from the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky (the best production imho). That is not the fault of the dancers, however. I really enjoyed the performance: it was a balanced cast who played off each other to delightful effect. I have total admiration for Will Bracewell, not a natural Basilio under any circumstances and having to produce some pyrotechnical tricks at a relatively late stage in his career. However, he is a real artist, whose stagecraft and magical partnership with Fumi (divine) worked for me well enough. Sometimes it is confounding when a dancer is cast  against type, as here,  and perhaps no one would have batted an eyelid had Vadim gone into the long balance and arabesque to start the wedding pdd solo, whereas it was totally unexpected from Bracewell. I also loved his «Spanish line ». Fumi is stellar as Kitri - crystalline technique and such charisma (especially in this partnership).

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

I have only seen yesterday’s matinee but I was reminded that this is such an anaemic version after the full-blooded versions we used to see from the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky (the best production imho). That is not the fault of the dancers, however. I really enjoyed the performance: it was a balanced cast who played off each other to delightful effect. I have total admiration for Will Bracewell, not a natural Basilio under any circumstances and having to produce some pyrotechnical tricks at a relatively late stage in his career. However, he is a real artist, whose stagecraft and magical partnership with Fumi (divine) worked for me well enough. Sometimes it is confounding when a dancer is cast  against type, as here,  and perhaps no one would have batted an eyelid had Vadim gone into the long balance and arabesque to start the wedding pdd solo, whereas it was totally unexpected from Bracewell. I also loved his «Spanish line ». Fumi is stellar as Kitri - crystalline technique and such charisma (especially in this partnership).

I haven't seen the Bolshoi and Mariinsky productions, so will have to see if I can find any. I'd be interested to see the differences.

13 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I haven't seen the Bolshoi and Mariinsky productions, so will have to see if I can find any. I'd be interested to see the differences.

I think you’ll be able to find some clips on YT of the incomparable young  Osipova/Vasiliev in the Bolshoi production and I’d recommend anyone with Shklyarov in the Mariinsky production. 

There are small differences in the choreography for Basilio and Kitri which somehow make the whole a much more thrilling experience. I absolutely love and miss the Kitri/Basilio exit at the end of Act 1. He carries her high above his head weaving through the corps. 

The whole thing is grander as is the way of Russian ballet productions.  

Edited by annamk
Add
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I've seen Don Q in the Mariinsky and Bolshoi Theater versions, they may interest an orthodox lover of the classics, it's just a series of virtuoso ballet numbers.  Acosta's version is certainly more suitable for the contemporary audience who is not a regular visitor to ballet performances, it is much more dance theater than classical ballet.  And even a lover of classical technique will be amazed by the performers of such stars as Nela, Fumi or Vadim.  If I personally would like to see a purely classic version of Don Q, I will go to Paris next year to see Nureyev's version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

I have total admiration for Will Bracewell, not a natural Basilio under any circumstances and having to produce some pyrotechnical tricks at a relatively late stage in his career.

“A relatively late stage in his career” ??? He’s 32…

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

…….and perhaps no one would have batted an eyelid had Vadim gone into the long balance and arabesque to start the wedding pdd solo, whereas it was totally unexpected from Bracewell. 

I think that my comment (up thread) about this arabesque would have been the same had Vadim or anyone else performed it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

“A relatively late stage in his career” ??? He’s 32…

Indeed - does that not prove the point? 32 is relatively late to make a debut in Don Q BUT he is approaching his prime, and I am hopeful he will stay there for many years. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

Indeed - does that not prove the point? 32 is relatively late to make a debut in Don Q BUT he is approaching his prime, and I am hopeful he will stay there for many years. 

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you meant that WB was “relatively late in his career.” Inevitably, lockdown added to the cycle of repertoire scheduling has affected the point at which he first dances Basilio. Unfortunately, I’m not interested enough in Don Q as a ballet to invest the funds to buy a ticket, although I’ll try for the cinema showing. Incidentally, wasn’t Merle Park 35 when she danced her first Odette / Odile, roles that she kept in her repertoire for only four years (although she danced them a lot) unlike Giselle and Aurora.

50 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that my comment (up thread) about this arabesque would have been the same had Vadim or anyone else performed it.

😂 Friends have told me that they asked William about the arabesque at the Stage Door and he said he had borrowed it from Nureyev 🤣

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, capybara said:

😂 Friends have told me that they asked William about the arabesque at the Stage Door and he said he had borrowed it from Nureyev 🤣

Well at least he aims high and emulates the best!  😂👏❤️

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Given the number of performances people are seeing, I can only assume that BalletCoers have very deep pockets.  Either that, or they managed to snatch all the reasonably priced tickets before I got there!

Or, when their partners find out they're headed for divorce, or at least marriage counselling! 🤣

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Given the number of performances people are seeing, I can only assume that BalletCoers have very deep pockets.  Either that, or they managed to snatch all the reasonably priced tickets before I got there!

You know, I only intended to see the matinee yesterday and the General Rehearsal (not allowed to say much about the latter, I know) and I loved  the rehearsal so much that I booked more performances! 😳 I've just also booked a second Manon, too. Mr Linnzi is currently away on a golf trip - my logic is this: if he doesn't know about it then it can't hurt! 🤫

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I think we also occupy a goodly number of the standing spots 🙂

• Like 3