• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the ROH tonight. Too tired to be eloquent. Just here to say what an absolutely stunning dancer Brandon Lawrence is. His performance of Liebestod moved me close to tears. I couldn’t work out whether it was the emotion of the performance or that it’s the first time I’ve seen him dance, and now he’s going to Zurich I probably will never be able to see him perform again, that bought tears to my eyes. Love the way Carlos chucked the bouquet he was presented with at the end out into the audience. I’ve never seen Carlos dance before either and loved the way his personality really projects into the audience. He really commands the house. Thoroughly enjoyed each and every performance. The Corsaire pdd by Carlos’ nephew and his wife was amazing too. One of my favourite nights at ROH since I started going 3 years ago. 

• Like 18

A thoroughly enjoyable evening.  Carlos is a “ledge” as my daughter would say!  He was so happy and having so much fun that it was infectious.  Brandon was the other highlight of the night for me; a superlative performance of the Liebestod.  Our loss will be Zurich’s gain.  

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Missfrankiecat said:

Thanks to everyone posting their first reviews and photos, as well as the cast list.  I am so excited to go on Sunday.

You are in for such a treat - so many highlights and it was so lovely to see Marianela dance with Carlos - they were beautiful in the Manon pdd and the white swan pdd. Marianela is perfection. It was the first time I’ve seen Celine Gittens dance and she was just beautiful in Apollo - such personality and was quite cheeky to Apollo - I loved her interpretation. She was my favourite of the 3 ballerinas in Apollo by far. I’m so sad I’ll never get to see her & Brandon Lawrence dance. I hope BRB comes to somewhere near London? as I’d love to see them perform. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I hope BRB comes to somewhere near London? as I’d love to see them perform. 

They come to Sadler's Wells once a year usually in the Autumn!  This year they are performing Black Sabbath The Ballet although it may be too late to book as an extra performance has already been added.

Northern Ballet usually come to Sadler's Wells in the Spring and for the last few years they have appeared at the Linbury in the Autumn.

Scottish Ballet come to Sadler's Wells, mostly annually.

Ballet Black perform at both the Barbican and the Linbury.

• Thanks 1

A splendid evening, has to be said. Well, mostly - as ever in these things, there was a moment or two which didn't quite 'do it for me'.

Apollo - marvellous. I love this anyway, and this was a very fine rendition. Lucy Waine certainly wasn't overawed by the illustrious company she was keeping, and it's always a pleasure seeing Celine Gittens. Carlos, of course, was in his element!

Part 2 started with bits from Carlos' own 'Carmen'. Quite zippy, and the pdd with Laura Rodriguez and Alejandro Silva was smoking!

Didn't think I'd ever say this about Swan Lake, but actually found the White Swan pdd (with Carlos and Marianela Nunez) a bit boring; out of context, with a snail's pace tempo, seemed to last forever and not in a good way. Audience loved it though!

Le Corsaire pdd with Yonah Acosta and Lauretta Summerscales was good, but not wow!

End of Time pdd with Enrique Corrales and Yaoqian Shang was entracing, where they made what looked quite difficult and complex lifts look effortless. Lost a mark though, for a little excessive dragging-the-woman-long-the-floor bits

Brandon Lawrence's solo Liebestod, was very moving (found it more so last night, than when we saw it at Salers Wells). He sure will be missed in Birmingham!

Carlos and Marianela were back with the bedroom pdd from Manon, and they made this sizzle! Nice touch - when Manon takes his quill and throws it away from Des Grieux, this time it just landed on the table, and Carlos looked at it, picked it up, but tossed it aside again to join Marianela instead. Super stage craft!

For part 3, we started with not one, but two 'Dying Swans', one a contempory style (Mario Sergio Alias), and the other more traditional (Zeleidy Crespo), and two separate musical styles. Interesting contrast as they both danced to the contempory music (a windy version with hints of the familiar), then the more traditional version of the Saint Saens piece

Mermaid, with Carlos and Laura Rodriguez, may have been my favourite of the evening. 'Drunk' woman cared for by her partner, who seems to awaken out of the stupor to encompass him, then reject him to leave him alone at the end. One of Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui's 'winners' for me (I find his work a bit hit/miss)

Finale was Tocororo, with Acosta Danza company - joined by the man himself and in a nice touch, his children. Another classy touch - as the dancers huddled around a table, Carlos stepped out front as gave a 'love and thanks' gesture, as a marker that the show had ended. Lovely stuff

• Like 17

48 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Ballet Black perform at both the Barbican and the Linbury.

and Stratford East in the last few years.

Most companies have their venue appearances and rep on their websites - some of which are easier to navigate than others, it has to be said!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angela Essex said:

I hope BRB comes to somewhere near London? as I’d love to see them perform. 

They've been coming 2 or 3 times a year for the past few years - Sadler's Wells and Royal Albert Hall with Nutcracker.  Unfortunately, this year we seem to be restricted to the Black Sabbath ballet only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

This year they are performing Black Sabbath The Ballet

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Carlos, of course, was in his element!

I got the distinct feeling last night that Carlos was channelling his inner Black Sabbath in his Apollo.  His opening sequence had a very energetic air guitar (?) rendering of what might have been Paranoid 😉 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Could anyone confirm what the running time was last night please? I'm going this evening & need to know for trains.

It finished at about 2220 after starting at 1935

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

@Rob S Thank you. I'll be planning to get my later possible train then. And the 2h50 originally on the ROH website was more accurate than the 2h30 it was changed to.

Yes, they've changed it back to 2hrs 50 on the website. I don't know if it was just for opening night but there was an extensive curtain call at the end and red runs too

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Was Apollo in full or only an exerpt?

Missed the birth section, as had been suggested, but had all the rest of it, including the ascent to Mount Olympus (or is it Parnassus?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Was Apollo in full or only an exerpt?

I’m pretty sure we were just missing the prologue:  Leto gives birth to Apollo and when we first see him he’s wrapped in a swaddling cloth.  He takes his ‘first steps’ and the handmaidens then unwind the swaddling cloth.  As he’s learning to move they bring him his lute (lyre?) The complete ballet is on YouTube.  I’ll send you a PM with the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2