Press Release: English National Ballet announces its 2023-24 season, the first from Artistic Director Designate Aaron S. Watkin

Please see below.  Thrilled about Giselle, but don't think I can take yet another Carmen!  

Our Voices

Balanchine/Dawson/Miller

21 – 30 Sep 2023, Sadler's Wells

Opening the season at Sadler’s Wells is a new triple bill, Our Voices, featuring three ballets in three diverse styles: classical ballet, neo-classical ballet and contemporary dance.

Our Voices sees the world premiere of a new interpretation of Stravinsky's Les Noces by choreographer Andrea Miller, with artwork by renowned sculptor Dame Phyllida Barlow and on-stage performances by the Chorus from Opera Holland Park.

In a second world premiere, David Dawson returns to ENB for the first time in 15 years to present his latest creation: Four Last Songs, set to the final score by Richard Strauss.

Completing the programme is the dazzling Theme and Variations by one of the most influential choreographers in ballet: George Balanchine. All three works will be performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Carmen

Johan Inger

27 Mar – 6 Apr 2024, Sadler's Wells

This UK premiere presents Johan Inger's award-winning Carmen, originally created for Spain’s Compañía Nacional de Danza. The two-act ballet is a fresh take on the classic tale of passion and obsession, set to a score by Bizet and Shchedrin with new music from Spanish composer Marc Álvarez. Carmen offers audiences the chance to see a bold reimagining of the famous story from a choreographer whose whose work is rarely seen in the UK.

REPERTOIRE FAVOURITES REVIVED

Akram Khan's Giselle

19 – 21 OCT 2023, MANCHESTER PALACE THEATRE
26 – 28 OCT 2023, BRISTOL HIPPODROME

Having astounded audiences across the world, the ground-breaking production returns to Manchester and Bristol for the first time since its inaugural tour in 2016.

Nutcracker

30 NOV – 2 DEC 2023, MAYFLOWER THEATRE SOUTHAMPTON
14 DEC 2023 – 7 JAN 2024, LONDON COLISEUM

Wayne Eagling's festive favourite returns to delight audiences in Southampton and London. More than 100 dancers and musicians bring the beautiful choreography and sparkling score to life.

Mary Skeaping's Giselle

11 – 21 JAN 2024, LONDON COLISEUM

Mary Skeaping's celebrated production evokes the sunny optimism of Giselle’s idyllic village life, and the Wilis' moonlit world of mystery and menace. Adolphe Adam's lush score is vividly performed by ENB Philharmonic.

My First Ballet: Swan Lake

4 – 14 APRIL 2024, PEACOCK THEATRE, LONDON

For the first time since 2019, English National Ballet and English National Ballet School present My First Ballet. This beautifully adapted version is a perfect introduction to the magic of live ballet for children aged 3+.

Emerging Dancer

Returning in Spring 2024, Emerging Dancer shines a light on talent throughout the Company. This special event sees the finalists showcase their artistry on stage. The People's Choice Award and Corps de Ballet Award will also be announced. 

Swan Lake in-the-round

12 – 23 JUN 2024, ROYAL ALBERT HALL

One of the grandest spectacles in ballet, Derek Deane’s Swan Lake in-the-round returns to the Royal Albert Hall in summer 2024. A huge cast of dancers and musicians, including 60 swans, bring the enduring love story to the epic stage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Voices sounds very interesting indeed- I will make a point of seeing that.

I’m also delighted about Giselle!

I will probably book for Carmen as I’ve only ever seen it as an opera.

Overall, I’m pretty pleased!

• Like 2

I'm up for the Carmen! 🙂

Also, the Skeaping Giselle is a must despite it being in the Coliseum, as is the triple bill 'Our Voices' at Sadlers Wells, which sounds great.

I will be tempted by the Swan Lake in the round, if I get get an affordable ticket

• Like 2

I agree with you, Sim, about “yet another Carmen” ......especially when it says “bold reimagining”! I don’t want to be discouraging to Johan Inger, but with the exception of Roland Petit’s version  (which ENB already have-why not revive it? So many new dancers who would be great as Petit’s Carmen and Don Jose), and a joint second place for the versions by Alberto Alonso and Mats Ek, all the other bold reimaginings have been disappointing.

Will google it to see if CND have posted any clips online- perhaps Inger will be successful where others haven’t! A full length will mean that it absolutely has to fire on all cylinders in every act though. 

Huzzah to Skeaping’s Giselle returning, and for ENB tackling Theme & Variations, and for the return of My First Ballet for families. Looking forward to a new Les Noces and a new Dawson ballet.

Disappointed for Liverpool that they’re not bringing Skeaping’s Giselle (or anything else) there though. 

Hope Emerging Dancer finally goes ahead at last and no last minute cancellations again! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: English National Ballet announces its 2023-24 season, the first from Artistic Director Designate Aaron S. Watkin

The press release in full:

PRESS RELEASE 
Wednesday 1 March 2023

English National Ballet
2023/2024 Season Announcement 

• Artistic Director Designate Aaron S. Watkin’s first season for English National Ballet 
  • Includes two world premieres, a UK premiere and a Company premiere 
  • New works from David Dawson, Andrea Miller and the UK premiere of Johan Inger’s Carmen
  • George Balanchine’s Theme and Variations to be performed by English National Ballet for the first time 
  • Akram Khan’s Giselle and Mary Skeaping’s production performed in the same season 
  • Derek Deane’s Swan Lake in-the-round returns to the Royal Albert Hall 
  • Ballet Futures: The Pipeline Project expands following a successful pilot

Today, English National Ballet is thrilled to announce its plans for the 2023/2024 season, the first programmed by Artistic Director Designate Aaron S. Watkin.

Featuring two world premieres, a UK premiere, a Company premiere and revivals of some of English National Ballet’s most iconic works, the season represents the vast spectrum of ballet, forging innovation with ground-breaking new productions while continuing to honour the great tradition of large scale classical ballet.

Of his first season as Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Aaron S. Watkin said: “Being entrusted to lead this brilliant organisation is a privilege. I am so grateful to be able to show audiences my vision for English National Ballet and share the immense talent and versatility this Company has to offer. By pairing works from some of the greatest classical choreographers with visceral new works by some of the most exciting artists working today I believe we are showcasing the full potential of this brilliant artform for audiences across the country. I am proud to build on Tamara’s legacy and will continue to forge innovation and embrace the great tradition of classical ballet. I am excited to bring the whole Company and our audiences on this journey, as we take English National Ballet into the next chapter in its rich history.”

Opening the season at Sadler’s Wells (21 - 30 September) is a new triple bill, Our Voices featuring three ballets in three diverse styles: classical ballet, neo-classical ballet and contemporary dance, showcasing the strength and versatility of the Company. 

Our Voices sees the World Premiere of a new interpretation of Les Noces by American choreographer Andrea Miller with artwork by renowned sculptor Dame Phyllida Barlow. Presented in its centenary year, Les Noces is a visceral piece that sees the dancers joined on stage by a live chorus from Opera Holland Park, accompanied by English National Ballet Philharmonic. 

Returning to English National Ballet for the first time in 15 years, one of the world’s leading neo-classical choreographers, David Dawson presents the World Premiere of his latest creation Four Last Songs. An uplifting and poignant work, Four Last Songs explores the beauty of humanity and the circle of life, set to the final score by Richard Strauss.

Of Four Last Songs, David Dawson said “I was introduced to Four Last Songs at the age of 19 and it has been a constant presence in my life ever since - through all of my experiences, a true companion. It is an honour for me to be able to create this new ballet to a piece of music that is so close to my heart.”

Completing the programme for Our Voices is Theme and Variations by one of the most influential choreographers in ballet, George Balanchine. New to English National Ballet’s repertoire, Theme and Variations sees 13 couples take to the stage in a beautiful showcase of virtuosity, featuring new set and designs for 2023 by Roberta Guidi di Bagno. 

Having been seen by over 140,000 people in 10 countries and 16 cities around the world, Akram Khan’s Giselle returns with performances on tour this autumn in Manchester (19 - 21 October)and Bristol (26 - 28 October). In this acclaimed reimagining of the classic ballet, it tells the story of love, betrayal, and redemption, with an imposing set designed by Academy Award-winner Tim Yip. 

Offering audiences the chance to see two versions of one of the great romantic ballets in the same season, Mary Skeaping’s production of Giselle returns to the London Coliseum in January 2024. With its classical language, Giselle features some of ballet’s most dramatic scenes and otherworldly images.

The magic of Christmas returns this festive season with Nutcracker on tour at the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton (30 November - 2 December) followed by performances at the London Coliseum this December. Continuing English National Ballet’s tradition of presenting a version of Nutcracker every year since 1950, this production has already been seen be over 800,000 people, bringing joy to audiences young and old.  

At Sadler’s Wells in spring 2024 is the UK Premiere of Johan Inger’s award-winning Carmen. Originally created for Spain’s Compania Nacional de Danza, this two-act ballet tells the tragic love story of Carmen, Don Jose and the Toreador. Set to a score by Bizet and Shchedrin with new music from Spanish composer Marc Álvarez. Carmen offers audiences the chance to see a bold reimagining of this classic tragedy from Inger, whose work is rarely seen in the UK. 

One of the biggest spectacles in ballet, Derek Deane’s Swan Lake in-the-round returns to theRoyal Albert Hall in summer 2024. Over 100 performers, including 60 dancing swans, bring the classic love story to life on one of the world’s most famous stages. Featuring Tchaikovsky’s glorious score, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic, Swan Lake in-the-round is perfect for both dedicated fans and first-time ballet goers. 

For the first time since 2019 English National Ballet and English National Ballet School presentMy First Ballet: Swan Lake at the Peacock Theatre over Easter 2024. The perfect introduction to ballet, this specially adapted version of the world’s most iconic ballet sees a narrator guide the audience along, making ballet accessible to audiences as young as three. The run will also include a relaxed performance as part of My First Inclusive Ballet outreach programme as well as a series of on-stage family workshops. 

Returning in May, Emerging Dancer shines a light on talent throughout the Company. This special event sees the finalists showcase their artistry on stage. Alongside the Emerging Dancer Award, the evening will also see the winner of the People’s Choice and Corps de Ballet Award announced. 

Following a successful pilot last year, Ballet Futures, a talent pipeline project to incentivise young people from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to participate in professional training, continues this year. Alongside schools in Birmingham, East London, Leicester, and West London, Ballet Futures expands to include the Adagio School of Dance in Brentwood, Essex. 2023 also marks the reimagining of ENBYouthCo, now in its 11th year and continuing to nurture talent and creativity through co-creation and performance opportunities. 

English National Ballet is an industry leader in creative engagement practice, with pioneering programmes including Dance for Parkinson’s, which this season will be delivered via six national hubs and as an online offer, and Dementia initiative Mindful Movers, delivered in care homes in East London. The season also sees Ballet Explored, our flagship project engaging pupils from secondary schools delivered in areas with low arts provision, and Re-Play, an annual community performance platform for English National Ballet’s Engagement, Youth and Community dance groups from across East London. 

Launched as a direct response to the pandemic, English National Ballet’s online platforms – Ballet Active and Ballet on Demand – continue to expand the Company’s reach, engaging more people in ballet. With over 200 classes and counting, Ballet Active gives people the chance to access a huge variety of dance classes, from ballet to contemporary, flamenco to South Asian dance, led by some of the leading names in dance including Alleyne Dance, Jose Agudo and Sujata Banerjee. Ballet on Demand allows people to revisit some of English National Ballet’s iconic productions and specially commissioned films, available to rent or buy.

This season will also see the continued national and international distribution of Creature, a collaboration between English National Ballet, Academy Award winning director Asif Kapadiaand Akram Khan. Hailed as “a new frontier for cinema” (Little White Lies) Creature will also join Ballet on Demand on 22 May 2023. 

Akram Khan’s Giselle, Nutcracker and Mary Skeaping’s Giselle open for priority booking to Friends from 10am on Thursday 2 March 2023, with general booking open from 10am on Wednesday 8 March 2023.

Our Voices, Carmen, My First Ballet: Swan Lake and Swan Lake in-the-round will open for booking later this year. 

Listings information 

Our Voices
Theme and Variations by Balanchine / Four Last Songs by Dawson / Les Noces by Miller
Sadler’s Wells
21 – 30 September 2023

www.ballet.org.uk/production/our-voices

Akram Khan’s Giselle 
Manchester Palace Theatre 
19 – 21 October 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/production/akram-khan-giselle

Akram Khan’s Giselle 
Bristol Hippodrome 
26 – 28 October 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/production/akram-khan-giselle

Nutcracker 
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton 
30 November – 2 December 2023
www.ballet.org.uk/production/nutcracker

Nutcracker 
London Coliseum 
14 December 2023 – 7 January 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/production/nutcracker

Giselle by Mary Skeaping 
London Coliseum 
11 – 21 January 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/production/mary-skeaping-giselle

Carmen 
Sadler’s Wells 
27 March – 6 April 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/production/carmen

My First Ballet: Swan Lake
Peacock Theatre, London 
4 – 14 April 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/production/my-first-ballet-swan-lake

Emerging Dancer 
Venue and dates to be confirmed 
www.ballet.org.uk/production/emerging-dancer-2024

Swan Lake in-the-round 
Royal Albert Hall 
12 – 23 June 2024
https://www.ballet.org.uk/production/swan-lake-round

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.
English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

Swan Lake in-the-round is a co-production with the Royal Albert Hall

New Work this season is funded by Fatima and Mark Grizzelle and the New Work Fund supporters

Dance Health programmes are supported by Linbury Trust, Backstage Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, City Bridge Trust, The D'Oyly Carte Charitable Trust and G & K Boyes Charitable Trust

ENBYouthCo is funded by Art Mentor Foundation Lucerne

Ballet Futures is supported by the Leverhulme Trust, Old Possum’s Practical Trust, Eggardon Trust, and Alexis and Frances Prenn. 

About English National Ballet 

English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since. English National Ballet brings world class ballet to the widest possible audience through performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship Dance Health interventions such as Dance for Parkinson’s and Dance for Dementia, and through talent development initiatives including ENBYouthCo and Ballet Futures which looks to create a more diverse and inclusive future for the artform.

English National Ballet continues to add ground-breaking new works to its repertoire whilst celebrating the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw the Company enter a new chapter in its history with a move to a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, allowing a renewed commitment to creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.

About Ballymore  

Ballymore: 40 years of forward thinking 

Ballymore is a leading property developer with a multi award-winning portfolio of some of Europe’s largest and most transformative urban development projects. Our projects are defined by their vision, originality and commitment to quality and we are driven to set new, lasting standards in design, creativity and architecture. Every place we create has a unique personality inspired by its location, history, people and culture, nurtured through strong relationships with our expert partners and those we develop with local communities. We enliven areas well before the first foundations are laid and we remain long after the last brick is in place to ensure our customers are well looked after and the communities continue to thrive. Our landmark developments in the UK span the breadth of Greater London, from our new riverside communities in Royal Wharf, London City Island and Embassy Gardens, where we have transformed underused land into lively new neighbourhoods, over to Brentford where we are reconnecting the High Street with the waterfront and revitalising the town centre. In Ireland, we develop homes across a number of counties and have established Dublin Landings as a new commercial centre at North Wall Quay. We are also working in partnership with Diageo and CIE to design and deliver mixed-use developments at the Guinness brewery and Connolly Station in Dublin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I don’t want to be discouraging to Johan Inger, but with the exception of Roland Petit’s version  (which ENB already have-why not revive it? So many new dancers who would be great as Petit’s Carmen and Don Jose), and a joint second place for the versions by Alberto Alonso and Mats Ek, all the other bold reimaginings have been disappointing.

I just love that Mats Ek version! Matches away!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I just love that Mats Ek version! Matches away!

I had to give it second place because I don’t think many dancers can carry it off- Tamara Rojo can, and she was incredible in it.  The Petit version is easier for different casts to shine in, I feel. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CCL said:

Pretty much agree with all the above! Will need to research a bit more about carmen but intrigued. But the triple and Giselle are definitely something I’d like to see.

• Like 2

I agree that the programme looks much more intriguing than this season’s. Interesting that after December 2nd there’s nothing outside London - I for one would have loved to have seen Giselle in Liverpool. Given the drop in Arts Council funding was this maybe inevitable?

• Like 1

Could it be that theatres haven't been sorted that far in advance yet?

Good-sounding programme, by the way.  I'm looking forward to it, even if I have to go to Bristol for the Khan Giselle. Delighted to see the Skeaping one back - it's been a while.

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Could it be that theatres haven't been sorted that far in advance yet?

Good-sounding programme, by the way.  I'm looking forward to it, even if I have to go to Bristol for the Khan Giselle. Delighted to see the Skeaping one back - it's been a while.

I think that would be unlikely.  Theatres have already been advertising shows for 2024.

Programme looks great- particularly looking forward to Mary Skeaping’s Giselle- I really enjoyed it last time they brought it. And Themes and Variations which I’ve never seen live- actually I like the sound of the whole triple bill 😊

• Like 1

Like everyone else, I'm very happy with the Skeaping Giselle and the triple bill. And I'm happy to give another Carmen a go. This could, after all, be the one that gets it right, and ENB have good form with new works of late, although how much that is down to the redoubtable Ms Rojo remains to be seen. My hopes are high.

Disappointed Manchester is only getting the Akram Khan Giselle which we've already had. Would much have preferred the Mary Skeaping version which I don't think I've seen but have wanted to for ages. So I'll be coming to London and pleased it's at the Coliseum which I much prefer to Sadlers Wells as a venue. Might venture to Sadlers Wells for Carmen, though I would prefer a traditional version which a 'bold re -imagining' doesn't sound like so will try and investigate beforehand. Still, will be more than happy to see the Mary Skeaping Giselle and am pleased and relieved it's still being staged.  Somewhat pessimistically, I assumed that these days traditional staging took second place to 'bold re imagining ' when it comes to the classics and am really pleased to have been proved wrong. May have to go more than once  in case I don't get the chance again, and want to compare it to the Peter Wright version which is really the only one I know. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Disappointed Manchester is only getting the Akram Khan Giselle which we've already had. Would much have preferred the Mary Skeaping version which I don't think I've seen but have wanted to for ages. So I'll be coming to London and pleased it's at the Coliseum which I much prefer to Sadlers Wells as a venue. Might venture to Sadlers Wells for Carmen, though I would prefer a traditional version which a 'bold re -imagining' doesn't sound like so will try and investigate beforehand. Still, will be more than happy to see the Mary Skeaping Giselle and am pleased and relieved it's still being staged.  Somewhat pessimistically, I assumed that these days traditional staging took second place to 'bold re imagining ' when it comes to the classics and am really pleased to have been proved wrong. May have to go more than once  in case I don't get the chance again, and want to compare it to the Peter Wright version which is really the only one I know. 

The Skeaping Giselle came to both Manchester and Liverpool 5 or 6 years ago and sadly did not sell well in either city whereas the Khan Giselle did.

I love Mary Skeaping's production of Giselle - it just seems so pure to me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The Skeaping Giselle came to both Manchester and Liverpool 5 or 6 years ago and sadly did not sell well in either city whereas the Khan Giselle did.

Thanks Janet. I must have missed it, and fair enough it not coming if it didn't sell. The Palace is a large theatre to fill though I much prefer it to the Lowry because I can get there easily by train. Weren't both version of Giselle shown in the same season before? It's a really good idea to show 2 contrasting versions of the same ballet if they think they can both sell, though they're not being staged at the same theatre. However, by showing the Skeaping in London it means easy access for people like me to get there (trains permitting!) So great planning by the new AD and his team and a great start to his tenure.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 10:31, CCL said:

I really rate Johan Inger. I remember him well from Basler Ballet. I am sure his Carmen will be well worth seeing. 

Having seen Inger’s Carmen on Semperoper Ballet’s YouTube videos (Watkin’s previous company), I’d have to say I won’t be booking it (a pity as that March-April slot is ideal for going to Sadler’s Wells for us), as it is not my kind of thing.

I rather wish Inger had been commissioned to make a new ballet altogether, perhaps paired with Nermeier’s Spring and Fall which was lovely the first time ENB danced it and hasn’t been revived for some years, or combined with two short ballets if it is to be a short piece.  (And really makes me wistful for Frola’s Don Jose and Oliveira’s Carmen in Petit’s version.....Frola has only danced excerpts from it). Semperoper Ballet looked very good in the clips though. 

But I will definitely be booking for Our Voices, Skeaping’s Giselle, Nutcracker, Emerging Dancer (if timing doesn’t clash with other commitments) and Swan Lake. Looks like Watkin is planning to make the Albert Hall visits an annual feature for now? (They are presenting Cinderella this year- admittedly Cinderella is Rojo’s programming - and Swan Lake next year. )  

Edited by Emeralds

On 02/03/2023 at 08:27, Jan McNulty said:

Mary Skeaping's "Giselle" last toured to Manchester and Liverpool in 2009 under Eagling's directorship.  Under Rojo's directorship, it only toured to Belfast in 2017 following performances at the London Coliseum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Irmgard said:

Mary Skeaping's "Giselle" last toured to Manchester and Liverpool in 2009 under Eagling's directorship.  Under Rojo's directorship, it only toured to Belfast in 2017 following performances at the London Coliseum.

Thanks Irmgard.  I can’t believe it’s so long ago it’s so fresh in my mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when ENB usually announce castings? Do they do it in advance for 'friends'? 

I seem to remember they announced Salenko guesting in Swan Lake, which is this years January slot being taken in 2024 Giselle, very late.  

9 hours ago, TSR101 said:

Does anyone know when ENB usually announce castings? Do they do it in advance for 'friends'? 

I seem to remember they announced Salenko guesting in Swan Lake, which is this years January slot being taken in 2024 Giselle, very late.  

historically casting is only announced a few weeks before a show opens.  this might change with a new artistic director.  friends get told slightly (but only a few hours i think)  earlier but there is an embargo on sharing that information before it is released to the general public which friends respect.  booking is already open for ENB Nutcracker & Giselle so its a shot in the dark who you will see if you want to book now.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when booking will open for the September SW run? It's not on the ENB website (it just says "Spring") but ENB Friends sometimes get told such things.

Specifically, I'd quite like to know whether there will be Saturday matinees.

• Like 1