The Sleeping Beauty, Royal Ballet 2023

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Nice to see Claire and Alexander Campbell interacting on stage as well, in the vision scene!

I thought that when I saw them in 2019. Even though they don't really get to dance as a pair (such a pity The Prodigal Son hasn't been rescheduled) at least it's nice when they get to share stage time. It was really nice when she was Rosaline for his Romeo debut last year. I got a photo of them in November 2019 that's one of my favourite curtain call photos:

P1430621.jpg

• Like 17

4 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Also loved Itziar Mendizabal as Carabosse!

She was also excellent as the Queen of Hearts in Alice. Zenaida Yanowsky her only equal in that role.

It will be interesting to see how many lilac fairy ( plus other fairy variations) and bluebird casts we have in this run. Yes it’s good to see a fair few but I hope they all get the opportunity to perform the role several times. Certainly not the single performance of say Melissa Hamilton’s rose fairy at the end of the long run of ‘Nutcrackers’.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I feel as though everyone I'd like to see as Princess Florine & the Bluebird is dancing when I'm not there. First Dias & Jun then Hamilton & Richardson. By the time I see it tomorrow evening it'll probably be dancers I'm less interested in seeing because all the dancers I like will have already been used!

Well, you can rest assured. The cast list is published and it looks very good indeed 👌

• Like 1

Yes if anybody is going tonight would love to know what you think. If somebody doesn’t want to comment publicly on the Forum would love a DM 🙂 
I can only go twice to Beauty and once will be in May ( originally I was only going to go in May) but am now toying with the idea of seeing this cast as well on Feb.14th or Kaneko and Bracewell cast on March 4th 

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Yes if anybody is going tonight would love to know what you think. If somebody doesn’t want to comment publicly on the Forum would love a DM 🙂 
I can only go twice to Beauty and once will be in May ( originally I was only going to go in May) but am now toying with the idea of seeing this cast as well on Feb.14th or Kaneko and Bracewell cast on March 4th 

I saw kaneko’s debut and even though I had limited funds I have booked to see her again as she is amazing! And her with Bracewell too, after missing their Romeo and Juliet (slightly different ballet but you know), I thought this was a must! I would highly recommend.

I’m hoping to also see Kaneko as the lilac fairy tomorrow night (in a repeat of first night casting), but would be interested to see Buvoli as well. Interesting that Buvoli is “only” a soloist but getting meatier parts like Lilac Fairy and Myrtha which are meant to be particularly difficult. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RobR said:

Well, you can rest assured. The cast list is published and it looks very good indeed 👌

I'm pleased with most of the cast, especially Dias & Jun, but to quote myself from the first page of this thread:

On 13/01/2023 at 22:26, Dawnstar said:

I seem doomed to see no-one but Gina Storm-Jensen as the Lilac Fairy!

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Nice to see a review (Telegraph in tomorrow's links) of a cast that wasn't opening night. 

Although giving four stars, Mark Monahan is another reviewer not overly keen on SB! Also rather harsh on Claire Calvert.

Having just read the Telegraph review, can anyone explain what is meant by describing Campbell as "not as physically linear a dancer as Hayward"?

This is entirely my speculation but I wonder whether Monahan's dissatisfaction with the performances of some of the fairies reveals a slight inexperience in the RB on the female side at around First Artist/Soloist level? Most of the dancers who took voluntary redundancy during the pandemic were, if I recall correctly, older female dancers at around First Artist/Soloist level. So is the RB now in a bit of a rebuilding phase with less experienced dancers doing fairly demanding solos such as the fairies, perhaps many for the first time?

• Like 6

Have to say I agree with a fair amount of Monahan’s review actually.

I think back in 2019/2020 even at the time I realised we were spoilt with a lot of the now principals taking roles as fairies in the prologue and as florestan/sisters/bluebird etc.

I do wonder whether the pandemic has affected the younger less experienced dancers in the ranks; two years with intermittent classes and performing may be something to do with it feeling a bit less polished.

I also very much agree that many of the fairy variations seemed a bit stiff (my words) -  (I am not expert but maybe more Russian in style?) rather than the “british” lyricism which we attribute to Hayward (again my impression). I hope the Royal Ballet isn’t losing its “style”. But I’m not overly worried but it does make me appreciate the days when O’Sullivan/Magri/Kaneko were first soloists and we’d have fantastic casting (although they also very much deserved their principal promotions!). 

As an aside I’ve not seen Cojocaru live but I have her on DVD in the Royal production and Hayward reminded me a little of her (a very good thing!). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Simon Russell Beale didn't put in a shabby performance either

Simon Russell Beale performed the role of the Duchess rather than Queen of Hearts at the premiere, but if there’s an in-joke about the Duchess and Queen of Hearts/Mother of Alice from the forum way before I joined, could someone post the link or just explain what I missed? 😊

4 hours ago, JNC said:

I think back in 2019/2020 even at the time I realised we were spoilt with a lot of the now principals taking roles as fairies in the prologue

But I’m not overly worried but it does make me appreciate the days when O’Sullivan/Magri/Kaneko were first soloists and we’d have fantastic casting (although they also very much deserved their principal promotions!). 

I hadn't thought of that but yes, compared to the last run there are 3 fewer First Soloists available, with the 3 promotions to Principal & Stix-Brunell leaving but only 1 new First Soloist, Hinkis, since then (and she seems to be injured at the moment). Two of the more experienced Soloists, Cowley & Pajdak, also seem to be missing this season. I suppose it all adds up to a shortage in experienced fairies!

• Like 4

What a gorgeous debut. A few shaky moments in rose adagio (i felt for her) but otherwise stunning. Mayara is a simply beautiful classical dancer and Cesar is precision and perfection. I can’t not see them!!

Enjoyed tonight’s performance even more than Tuesday and found many of the fairies (some repeats) much stronger tonight. Or I was in a better mood. Not the biggest Gina Storm Jensen fan but she works for me as Lilac Fairy. I find she really uses her long arms well, using every bit of stretch while maintaining fluidity, making every movement look  bigger, using space well. A few shaky moments below the waist though… 

Nicol Edmunds was excellent as Florestan and his pairing with Isabella Gasparini and Mariko Sasaki was spot on and so in sync. Same Bluebirds as Tuesday but loved it even more second time around.

• Like 1

I think the performance yesterday served to remind me how difficult a ballet Sleeping Beauty is, particularly the role of Aurora and so how even more amazing Marianela Nunez and her prince Vadim Muntgariov were on Monday evening. They sailed gloriously, graciously and effortlessly through every step, smiling as if all the effort was nothing. Marianela Nunez was even more remarkable considering she is in the twilight of her career.  Alongside them Fumi Kaneko was an Impeccable Lilac Fairy. 

Yesterday evening, Mayara Magri got off to a shaky start. In the first section of the rose adagio she tried to hold the balances and unfortunately she wobbled quite badly which seemed to affect her confidence for the rest of Act 1. It was a curious choice ( I assume it was a choice because not everyone does it) to decide to do that in your debut, it always seems so unnecessary to me anyway and more often than not it just looks awkward because it's incredibly difficult to hold without wobbling, so much better not to bother. She danced Acts 2 and 3 well but unsurprisingly she seemed tense. I didn't feel much chemistry between her and Cesar Corrales, also making his debut and returning from injury - impossible to give a stellar performance with all that going on. 

The highlight of the evening for me was Letitia Dias and Joonhyuk Jun as Princess Florine and the Bluebird. Sensational. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, annamk said:

Yesterday evening, Mayara Magri got off to a shaky start. In the first section of the rose adagio she tried to hold the balances and unfortunately she wobbled quite badly which seemed to affect her confidence for the rest of Act 1. It was a curious choice ( I assume it was a choice because not everyone does it) to decide to do that in your debut, it always seems so unnecessary to me anyway and more often than not it just looks awkward because it's incredibly difficult to hold without wobbling, so much better not to bother.

I agree with this. The Rose Adagio is difficult enough without making it even more so (and holding the balances for too long - or trying to - messes around with the music, with the conductor having to spin it out endlessly). It shows admirable ambition and confidence, but only if it works... and I think it did affect Magri's confidence for the rest of the act and possibly the rest of the performance, though she did dance beautifully in Acts II and III. I thought Corrales was excellent and I found his dancing much more controlled and refined that it was a few years ago, and his acting more convincing. (I did have a nasty moment though, when the impressionable unhappy prince sees a vision of a beautiful woman and falls instantly in love; recent real events immediately came to mind and marred the moment for me by provoking a bout of cynicism about the dangers of love at first sight... very annoying!).

I do find some of the costumes in this production too fussy and/or bright, and I especially dislike some of the Act I costumes (too much black!); I also don't like the wide stairs at the side in that Act that make for constant hazard and take up too much of the stage. But it's all in the dancing, and last night's performance had a lot to admire as well as some weaker moments. I agree that Leticia Dias and Joonhyuk Jun were terrific as Florine/Bluebird, and Isabella Gasparini, Sophie Allnatt and Yuhui Choe were the most confident and characterful of the fairies. Gina Storm-Jensen has become a more convincing Lilac Fairy and watched over affairs with great benevolence. Harry Churches was the liveliest and most predatory Wolf I've ever seen! And the Grand Pas - I thought both Magri and Corrales were superb - and the final tableau brought matters to a very satisfying close.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1