Royal Ballet: A Diamond Celebration

I have to say (write) that I think the current Cav / Pag production (which I also saw in its Gothenburg Opera transfer when one of my artists took over Mamma Lucia) is masterly in the way it manages to link the two pieces and has some thrilling visual imagery.

I also liked aspects of the Kosky Carmen, particularly in Acts 1 and 2, but certainly felt it was a production aimed at an “informed” rather than wider audience.

Of course, all reactions are personal, opinions my own and it’s an utterly subjective topic.

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have enjoyed reading forum friends many and varied comments, and having generally enjoyed the evening at the cinema, apart from the second act, felt I had nothing useful to add.

Then I read the Gramilliano review and felt I might have been to a totally different production , he loved the Toonga etc. shows how we all have such very different tastes.

It did make me wonder if this selection had anything to do with Arts Council funding, trying to be ‘ more relevant’ and ‘ appealing to young people’ and moving away from a classical repertoire, Just a thought.

The discussion on costumes really resonated with me, they were awful in the new works, did they save on everything else then splash the cash on Prima, which looked OK as long as they stood still.  Very catwalk!

On a totally different topic..someone mentioned fear of catching Covid in a full opera house, I watched in the Cinema in Cheltenham together with 9 others in an auditorium which holds two or three hundred. So no risk of virus Infection but not boding well for continuing productions being shown live from ROH

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, DoctorDerry said:

I have enjoyed reading forum friends many and varied comments, and having generally enjoyed the evening at the cinema, apart from the second act, felt I had nothing useful to add.

Then I read the Gramilliano review and felt I might have been to a totally different production , he loved the Toonga etc. shows how we all have such very different tastes.

It did make me wonder if this selection had anything to do with Arts Council funding, trying to be ‘ more relevant’ and ‘ appealing to young people’ and moving away from a classical repertoire, Just a thought.

The discussion on costumes really resonated with me, they were awful in the new works, did they save on everything else then splash the cash on Prima, which looked OK as long as they stood still.  Very catwalk!

On a totally different topic..someone mentioned fear of catching Covid in a full opera house, I watched in the Cinema in Cheltenham together with 9 others in an auditorium which holds two or three hundred. So no risk of virus Infection but not boding well for continuing productions being shown live from ROH

For Mayerling there was six people in total, everyone there was in a pair too. The cinema itself was packed with people all evening, but very empty for the ballet streaming.

• Thanks 1

Just got back home after this afternoon's matinee. I think other than Hinkis and Acri as Downstar mentioned avove, this was the same cast as for Wednesday's cinema screening and ir was great to see everything from a different perspective and knowing what was coming.

Act 1 again was excellent (I do really like Qualia which surprises me as McGregor tends to leave me cold). I preferred O'Sullivan and Campbell in Fille om Wednesday but given they are principals perhaps that's to be expected.

Act 2 was (as before the weakest) and I tried really hard to like/understand Dispatch Duet. I think I found it easier a second time though the music is awful (I hadn't realised the orchestra were playing it live and I thought from the screening it was recorded). A better soundtrack would make it so much better.

Still didn't understand See Us!! but other fairly indifferent to it. Concerto is light but unmemorable - Steven McCrae dressed like he had just got out of bed.

For Four (Act 1) is more accomplished than Prima (Act 2) but it is nonetheless very enjoyable. No improvement seeing the costumes live!

At to end it all a smashing performance of Diamonds (I was somewhat put off the cinema screening seeing so much sweat from Reese Clarke poor chap!).

A very mixed collection of works but very well put together and thoroughly enjoyable - more of this please !

b2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just on my way home after seeing the matinee. Some brief thoughts:

1. Did not like the Prima costumes. The worst one for me was Fumi’s - totally obscured her beautiful lines. The full length maroon get up totally prevented me properly from seeing what she was doing. Why were the skirts so bulky? Ugh @Fontyagree with you - the RB costume department could’ve made something much better. And the bulky part of the skirt around Mayara’s hips - why??? The tops were not too bad but the skirts 🤢 

2. Love love love Reece Clark - his solo in Diamonds was breathtaking. 
2b. The Diamonds costume and set were stunning - the costume department at RB are something else ❤️

3. The joy on Marianela’s face when she dances is so heartwarming. I feel like every time I see her is a gift. My favourite dancer ever.
4. My word Melissa Hamilton is flexible - really enjoyed Qualia. What an exquisite technique she has.

5. Matthew Ball is mesmerising to watch - something about his quality of movement just constantly drew my eye in For Four. I can’t articulate it but I felt he really connected to the audience in that piece. Note to self have to specifically book to see him more. 

6. Vasko Vassilev gave a stunning performance of the Saint-Saens Violin Concerto.

7. I liked the Toonga and the Tanowitz and I wasn’t expecting to at all as I’m not a massive fan of contemporary. The Toonga was very moving - a thought provoking portrayal of (gang) violence & war.

8. Love Akane Takada and Calvin Richardson together - the chemistry really worked for me and they brought the scene from Manon to life so very perfectly even given the short time they had. A real testament to their skill in transporting the audience. I’m not generally an emotional type, but I was welling up. 
9. Why don’t the audience get more exited at ROH? I literally want to whoop and cheer after every major solo (especially today for Reece Clark and Matthew Ball) but have to restrict myself to some polite applause or nothing at all 😭 I’m always very self conscious of being too loud in case the people around me don’t like it. 
10. Wished it was Anna Rose and Marcelino in the Fille piece - not that Ms Hinkis and Luca Acri weren’t brilliant because they were and I adored watching them but I remember the cheekiness of Anna Rose and Marcelino when they did the lockdown stream that was on BBC i player and I’d hoped to see that. 
OK so not very brief thoughts in fact😂. I’d be interested to hear what anyone else who was there today thought.

• Like 13

i loved today's matinee especially Diamonds which was thrilling. I really noticed Claire Calvert this time.

Watching Marianela Nunez made me think of very thick double cream being poured slowly from a silver jug.

Weird I know but it's meant as a huge compliment.

I really liked Concerto- more this time, simply because of two dancers (Osipova and McRae) dancing really  together- someone said 'as one' higher up the thread- yes exactly, I love to watch that. Maybe their maturity and experience, and knowing each other well helped. I didn't think the Manon really caught fire and the File was very nice but somehow again, lacked that spark for me. The dancers were coming on cold into pas de deux that were meant to be climactic moments- difficult- and were understandably focused on steps, not on really performing together.

Prima would be good in simple undistracting costumes but- I felt the dancers were dancing next to, rather than with one another.

For Four was better in that respect but the choregraphy did not give  them enough dancing together.

Having latched onto this theme I shall now apply it to everything...it certainly applied to Diamonds and Qualia- and some!..which is certainly technically amazing but it's not a piece I can like.

See Us!- my young companion said was like an 'old fashioned pop video'.

I bought a programme to read Joan Alcock's interesting essay on the history of the Friends (recommended) and see in it that See Us! is meant to 'challenge racial stereotyping'-  really??

A very interesting afternoon with Diamonds as the best medicine for every ill of body and mind.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Fonty said:

I am utterly baffled as to why nobody pointed out that it is a very bad  idea indeed to have 4 female dancers in a plotless ballet dancing together on stage at the same time wearing radically different costumes.  Was Zucchetti given completely free reign when it came to costume and budget?  There are multitudes of experienced people working at the ROH.  Surely one of them might have said this might be very distracting visually, and detract from the choreography?  As I said in my review, I can't remember a thing about the steps, my attention was entirely focussed on  masses of swirling fabrics in glaring and clashing colours, and those horrible hoops looping up into strange shapes.  

The last live ballet I saw was the ENB Forsythe evening earlier this year.  I remember writing at the time how wonderful the costumes were.  Very simple but very flattering and gorgeous to look at.  

I don't profess to  being an expert on the finer aspects of ballet. However, I do like to see beautiful things, and being a 'professor' of literature I always look for the metaphor, in any work of art. I can therefore appreciate both stark and elaborately costumed ballet. There is an interpretation to be made of both, particularly when the choreography (in my view) is so radically different when dancers wear hardly more a leotard. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Prima' at today's matinee. For me, four principal ballerinas dancing together worked amazingly well, and the costumes only enhanced the experience. Imagine what the alternative would have been like, if all four had been dressed identically in barely more than underwear. The visual mind wash provided by the shimmering kaleidoscopic colours combined with flowing textile and elastic sinew was simply jaw-dropping. I got it, absolutely: the catwalk, models, prima donnas, colleagues, in conflict! Just like a brilliant novel, I wanna read it again!

• Like 2

Just back after the matinee. It was helpful to read the feedback here so I had an idea as to what to expect. I enjoyed Fille, manon, was underwhelmed with quailia, but admired the dancers flexibility. Was this dance or contortions to music?  Thinking about it I don’t recall a McGregor piece that I have liked. See Us - not if I see you first!

loved for four, concerto, prima - but the costumes seemed to have “garlands” like tied balloon ends - weird.

diamonds- phew real ballet at last. Reminded me that I haven’t seen this live for too long.

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Mary said:

i loved today's matinee especially Diamonds which was thrilling. I really noticed Claire Calvert this time.

Watching Marianela Nunez made me think of very thick double cream being poured slowly from a silver jug.

Weird I know but it's meant as a huge compliment.

I really liked Concerto- more this time, simply because of two dancers (Osipova and McRae) dancing really  together- someone said 'as one' higher up the thread- yes exactly, I love to watch that. Maybe their maturity and experience, and knowing each other well helped. I didn't think the Manon really caught fire and the File was very nice but somehow again, lacked that spark for me. The dancers were coming on cold into pas de deux that were meant to be climactic moments- difficult- and were understandably focused on steps, not on really performing together.

Prima would be good in simple undistracting costumes but- I felt the dancers were dancing next to, rather than with one another.

For Four was better in that respect but the choregraphy did not give  them enough dancing together.

Having latched onto this theme I shall now apply it to everything...it certainly applied to Diamonds and Qualia- and some!..which is certainly technically amazing but it's not a piece I can like.

See Us!- my young companion said was like an 'old fashioned pop video'.

I bought a programme to read Joan Alcock's interesting essay on the history of the Friends (recommended) and see in it that See Us! is meant to 'challenge racial stereotyping'-  really??

A very interesting afternoon with Diamonds as the best medicine for every ill of body and mind.

Yes - the Fille piece lacked a certain spark for me too. And agree 100% that Diamonds was a tonic to the current national climate of doom and gloom. Also I felt the same about Prima and For Four that the dancers were dancing alongside one another rather than together, but I didn’t mind that.

The Osipova / McRae didn’t work for me for some reason. Can’t put my finger on why. Maybe her energy overshadowed him idk.

@MJW agree about the music for dispatch duet - there were parts of it that were unpleasant listening. Didn’t like it.

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 2

@Stephenwolf  I loathe dancers in scanty vest and pants outfits, so I agree that Prima would have looked terrible if it had been done like that.  However, my dislike of these particular costumes was that they were extremely distracting, so that I was looking at them, not the actual dancers themselves.  What is the point of that?  Ballet is about the movement of bodies, not fabric.  

Maybe, just maybe, I might have felt differently if I was seeing it live, but I doubt it.  

• Like 5

Having been at Saturdays matinee, may I ask?  Did anyone go to the Gala Dinner on Wednesday?  What was the menu, the experience?  What time did it finish?  Of course it was a fund-raising event - but I am curious to know how the experience felt.  I haven't attended one of these - but I have been tempted.  Thanks.  

I really enjoyed myself at the matinee. A little about the music first. Loved the Saint-Saëns! Vasko Vassilev was amazing! So lyrical and technically brilliant. Schubert, again - brilliant. I didn't realise Hearne's music in Dispatch Duet was played by the orchestra. Though very discordant, it sounded much better at ROH. Massenet, beautiful, Fille lovely too. Disliked the Concerto music (Saint-Preux) more than when I first heard it - reminded me of music from a perfume advert! Diamonds was lovely. So a big bravo to the orchestra!

On to the dancing. I preferred Campbell/O'Sullivan in Fille. They had more charisma and I felt their footwork was better. Still lovely performances from Hinkis and Acri. Takada/Richardson danced well, I thought. I am not certain it was the most moving performanceI have seen  of the bedroom pas de deux, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - my companions thoroughly loved this. Qualia didn't work as well for me as before. At the cinema relay, I got really good close-ups of Hamilton and I was amazed at what she did with her body - that was not possible today and though I enjoyed it, I actually preferred seeing everything so magnified at the relay (Qualia was the only piece I felt I did not enjoy as much today). 

For Four was better live on stage for me. Still lacked a little sparkle, but I thought the dancing was brilliant, especially from Ball and Sambè. See Us!! was entertaining. I could see It well from where I sat and I think it came across better on stage than on the relay. Dispatch Duet I liked better. Dancing was brilliant again and the music sounded much better - maybe it is so different from what I am used to that it's something that could grow on me? I prefer classical ballet, but I did enjoy it much, much more. Concerto pour deux - really did remind me of a perfume advert! It was just all a bit bland for me, but the dancing was top notch, of course. Still don't like McRae's costume. 

Prima was ok. Music was stunning and that saved the day for me. However, I did find myself (as I was in a box) watching Vassilev! Costumes are still not to my taste. I just wanted to scream, ' WHY??' I was not convinced by all of the choreography - I got a better look this time because the costumes weren't quite as visible as they were on the cinema screen. It just seemed a bit disjointed and in some places, I felt lacked cohesion and a sense of direction - almost random moves stringed together. Still loved Kaneko best - she really is becoming a favourite of mine.

Diamonds was simply stunning. Nunez was, as she always is, pure perfection. Her smile as she dances shows the joy dancing gives her and that, in turn, is felt by me when I watch her. Just wonderful! Clarke was lovely and I was impressed by his technique and his physical presence on stage. The height difference wasn't as noticeable from my seat. My companions loved Diamonds and felt it was by far the best part of the gala (they did love the music I loved and previously have mentioned too). I have to agree with them - I loved it and left with a big smile on my face.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Linnzi5 said:

I really enjoyed myself at the matinee. A little about the music first. Loved the Saint-Saëns! Vasko Vassilev was amazing! So lyrical and technically brilliant. Schubert, again - brilliant. I didn't realise Hearne's music in Dispatch Duet was played by the orchestra. Though very discordant, it sounded much better at ROH. Massenet, beautiful, Fille lovely too. Disliked the Concerto music (Saint-Preux) more than when I first heard it - reminded me of music from a perfume advert! Diamonds was lovely. So a big bravo to the orchestra!

On to the dancing. I preferred Campbell/O'Sullivan in Fille. They had more charisma and I felt their footwork was better. Still lovely performances from Hinkis and Acri. Takada/Richardson danced well, I thought. I am not certain it was the most moving performanceI have seen  of the bedroom pas de deux, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - my companions thoroughly loved this. Qualia didn't work as well for me as before. At the cinema relay, I got really good close-ups of Hamilton and I was amazed at what she did with her body - that was not possible today and though I enjoyed it, I actually preferred seeing everything so magnified at the relay (Qualia was the only piece I felt I did not enjoy as much today). 

For Four was better live on stage for me. Still lacked a little sparkle, but I thought the dancing was brilliant, especially from Ball and Sambè. See Us!! was entertaining. I could see It well from where I sat and I think it came across better on stage than on the relay. Dispatch Duet I liked better. Dancing was brilliant again and the music sounded much better - maybe it is so different from what I am used to that it's something that could grow on me? I prefer classical ballet, but I did enjoy it much, much more. Concerto pour deux - really did remind me of a perfume advert! It was just all a bit bland for me, but the dancing was top notch, of course. Still don't like McRae's costume. 

Prima was ok. Music was stunning and that saved the day for me. However, I did find myself (as I was in a box) watching Vassilev! Costumes are still not to my taste. I just wanted to scream, ' WHY??' I was not convinced by all of the choreography - I got a better look this time because the costumes weren't quite as visible as they were on the cinema screen. It just seemed a bit disjointed and in some places, I felt lacked cohesion and a sense of direction - almost random moves stringed together. Still loved Kaneko best - she really is becoming a favourite of mine.

Diamonds was simply stunning. Nunez was, as she always is, pure perfection. Her smile as she dances shows the joy dancing gives her and that, in turn, is felt by me when I watch her. Just wonderful! Clarke was lovely and I was impressed by his technique and his physical presence on stage. The height difference wasn't as noticeable from my seat. My companions loved Diamonds and felt it was by far the best part of the gala (they did love the music I loved and previously have mentioned too). I have to agree with them - I loved it and left with a big smile on my face.

I think you're right to associate the Concerto's music with the music of a perfume advert.

Concerto pour une voix sold millions of copies in the seventies and received dozens of arrangements and recordings. It has been used in several documentaries and commercials.

The song was also performed on André Rieu's In Wonderland tour 2007/2008. In the Rieu show, the Concerto pour une Voix was performed by a soprano dressed as an angel singing from the high above the orchestra. The triumph of kitsch and, in my opinion, bad taste.

Lately, Concerto pur une Voix was the musical theme for Voix Heat by PERRIER, Nestlé Waters' advertisement for Perrier mineral water.

I don't understand what Benoit Swan Pouffer has to do with the Royal Ballet and what place has such piece of music and dated and predictable choreography on the main stage of the Royal Opera House at what should be a gala.

This is just my opinion, with all due respect for different opinions.

• Like 9

Writing this on a coach so please excuse typos and infelicities.

I thought it was a very good evening on the whole. There's been a lot said already so I'll add just a few notes.

So, so good to hear and see some of Fille. Ashton is the only choreographer who can make me cry, always at the sweetest and happiest moments - and so it was this evening.

Takada is one of those dancers I took too long to appreciate (Winter Dreams finally did the trick) and seeing her in the Manon pdd made me realise how much I and the company had missed her. Would like to see Richardson getting a stab at Des Grieux, fingers crossed!

Qualia was interesting enough. I think the McGregor pdds work quite well in isolation. I just don't want a whole evening of this stuff! All credit to Hamilton and Lukas BB.

For Four was the best Wheeldon I've seen, I think, though I liked it less the more it went on: wasn't keen on the repeated air guitar motions. The casting was spot on: I'd not have guessed it hadn't been made on this quartet.

I found I could switch off from See Us!! quite soon into the piece, so that's something at least.

I thought Dispatch Duet was (intentionally) funny. The music was a bit "BBC Proms Commission" of olden days - and reminded me of my 1st year Introduction to 20th Century Music course from university.

I rather enjoyed the concerto pour deux. Yes, the music was a bit sub-Morricone - I like Morricone! - but at least it wasn't the same old tasteful wallpaper that so many choreographers reach for. I'd rather have this than more Ezio Bosso or some minimalist pap.

Even more controversially: I liked the Prima costumes! I did fear slightly for Kaneko because of the length of her dress but otherwise didn't feel it detracted from the movement.

Lastly: there's not much more left to say about Diamonds other than that Sarah Lamb does it so well: love her icy remoteness.

Very worth seeing and I shan't begrudge getting home in the middle of the night. The RB does galas so well!

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I don’t which production used M&S costumes, but the previous production of Cosi fan Tutte (set in current times with attractive outfits, mobile phones and stilettos instead of 18th century dress) was great

That *was* the one, I think.  I think the first run was with Armani, and the M&S run may have been while the House was closed?

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm rather surprised to see that Hinkis & Acri are down for both of today's Fille pdd performances. I would have expected the matinee to have the same O'Sullivan/Campbell cast as the first performance.

Ironically, as it happened Kevin O'Hare appeared front of curtain to announce that Hinkis had been injured in the warm-up (déjà vu, anyone?) and that she was being replaced at very short notice by O'Sullivan.  It's to the credit of both her and Acri that they still managed to put on a very good performance despite the lack of rehearsal.

6 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

9. Why don’t the audience get more exited at ROH? I literally want to whoop and cheer after every major solo (especially today for Reece Clark and Matthew Ball) but have to restrict myself to some polite applause or nothing at all 😭 I’m always very self conscious of being too loud in case the people around me don’t like it.

You obviously should have been in the amphitheatre this evening :)

• Like 3

I really liked Meaghan Grace Hinkis in Fille...I thought she caught the character well, and Luca Acri is always worth watching. Very sorry to hear she was injured in the  evening and hope she is back soon.

"For Four" did not disappoint, seen live -  wonderful choreography and I love the way the boys  interact  as they transition through their respective solos. Difficult to imagine a better group of 4 male dancers in any Company!

I very much enjoyed "Concerto Pour Deux" and "Prima" again .... I didn't have any problem myself with the costumes in either, other than being a bit distracted because of so many comments about them here and in other reviews! But I tried to concentrate on the lovely dancing. 

Now I have seen "Dispatch Duet" live, the problem for me was the awful cacophony that passed for a musical accompaniment. With a different choice of proper music, this could be a witty and interesting skit about the interaction between two ballet dancers trying to master steps and find a style. 

No need to mention "See Us" or "Qualia" again...best forgotten, in my view.

"Diamonds" was appropriately shining and brilliant..the corps, led by Claire Calvert and Leticia Dias,  on top form and Marianela Nunez outstanding, well supported by Reece Clarke. Her natural smile just got broader and broader as she danced through the piece, and was so infectious !  A wonderful  choice to end this celebratory performance. 

Finally, the other  Jewel for me, back near  the beginning of the  evening, was  Akane Takada dancing  Manon again, albeit for only one short PDD. Just sublime ! 🥰

All in all... great to be back to see the RB -  my first visit this season. 

• Like 17

I really enjoyed  my evening seeing the Gala yesterday.

As has been said before Meagan Grace Hinkis was injured warming up for her performance in Fille and was replaced at very short notice by Anna Rose O’Sullivan.  In spite of this I thought she and Luca Acri were both very good and even managed the bum lift at the end with seemingly no problems. This and the following PDD from Manon made me long to see both works live in full. To date I have only seen them both on DVD.

I quite enjoyed Qualia although it seemed more an exercise in flexibility on the part of Melissa Hamilton.

Much more to my taste, being something of a Wheeldon fan, was For four which I loved. It certainly played to the strengths of the different cast members and I hope that this work is kept in the repertoire of the RB. It’s certainly got the biggest cheer of Act 1.

I really wasn’t very impressed by Joseph Tonga’s See Us – although you couldn’t fault the dancers commitment. The music wasn’t too bad but the rather grungy costumes and dim lighting didn’t do it any favours.

Dispatch duet was ruined for me by the awful music. Such a shame really, with two such great dancers as O’Sullivan and Bracewell.

I quite liked concerto with its pleasant If a bit sugary music. It suited Osipova and McRae very well although I agree that McRae looked as though he had just got out of bed!

I enjoyed Prima but like others was somewhat distracted by the costumes, although they didn’t look quite as bad from a distance as they did in the photos I had seen previously.  However, why someone thought it was a good idea to put the gorgeous Frankie Hayward in a dress that looked as though it had a couple of dinner plates stuck to the hip, I can’t imagine!  

Diamonds, which I’ve never seen before in full, was lovely and beautifully danced by all. I was sorry not to see Marianela Nunez  but Sarah Lamb was superb and very well partnered by Ryoichi Hirano.

• Like 10

Something I liked about For Four was the use of 4 dancers with a string quartet and it became more interesting if you tried to follow the mirroring that was going on.

Is this the second time Marcelino Sambe has been a cello? !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mary said:

Something I liked about For Four was the use of 4 dancers with a string quartet and it became more interesting if you tried to follow the mirroring that was going on.

Is this the second time Marcelino Sambe has been a cello? !

Which instrument were the others paired with? 

There was a clip on Facebook from Prima and I have to say the costumes didn’t distract as much on a second viewing! And I enjoyed the choreography more. 
I wonder if the Prima costumes caused such an impact because to be honest up to that point in the gala it had mostly been pretty drab …even the For Four costumes were rather subdued and everything else pretty much greyish! Suddenly there was colour! They are still a bit strange though the hoops didn’t bother me so much on a second viewing …albeit on film. 
Think might be just in time for this edit! 
I was just thinking about the bare staging for the Fille pas de deux in the gala and then was reading Buddy’s posts about Xander Parish and dancers in California where they had a gala there and film projection was used to portray some stage settings. I have no idea how practical or expensive this would be for ROH but could brighten things up a bit. It would only mean one projection for some of the pieces in a gala where a pas de deux is taken out of a main ballet like Fille and Manon for example. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 4

I'm not sure- or indeed sure there was any intention to deliberately pair them up, and I would need to see it several more times-but I enjoyed catching fleeting glimpses of pairings, -Vadim Muntagirov is always going to be first violin for me!

• Like 3

Lovely reading everyone’s comments! 
Really enjoyed Fille last night & did make me want to see it again. It should be programmed at last every other year IMHO

Manon was fine & danced well - I just never get that involved with MacMillan narrative ballets.

Good to see Qualia again & of course Melissa Hamilton looked fabulous. I did start to think though that it presented a very particular attitude to the manipulation of a woman’s body in ballet. & I’ve been enjoying his choreography since the very early days of Random when I was at dance school! His more recent works somehow seem a bit more ‘warm’. Loved the music though! 
All Four was great with James Hay a real standout; fleet, accurate, controlled. However ‘all 4’ were (unsurprisingly) beautiful & I hope it stays in the regular rep. 
I very much enjoyed See us! & found some of it quite moving. Again superbly danced by a committed cast. Reminded me strongly of some Akram Khan & Crystal Pite. I understand why the RB is doing it but did wonder why eg Rambert isn’t doing more like this. There really is a lack of support for contemporary dance right now it seems & with the RB, plus ENB doing the - very interesting - Right of Spring by the wonderful Matz Ek last week, it may be that the audience is being squeezed.. 

I really disliked Dispatch Duet. I’m a big fan of Cunningham & can absolutely see the value of this sort of cross over but…maybe it could b danced in silence?? 
Concerto Pour Deux & found instantly forgettable tbh 

Prima. Well…I actually liked the costume worn by Francesca Hayward but found the choreography tedious & routine. A waste of some lovely dancers. 
Diamonds, did what it needed to do & sent everyone out on a high. Great dancing from Sarah Lamb in her ‘ice Queen’ mode & I think Claire Calvert outdanced everyone else on stage: great to see! I do hope that they manage to get Prodigal Son on stage & she can dance it. 
But - why so few performances? The amount of time needed to rehearse all this for just three shows seems excessive! 

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, alison said:

Ironically, as it happened Kevin O'Hare appeared front of curtain to announce that Hinkis had been injured in the warm-up (déjà vu, anyone?) and that she was being replaced at very short notice by O'Sullivan.

That's a shame for Hinkis. I was looking forward to seeing her as Princess Stephanie on Wednesday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I wonder if the Prima costumes caused such an impact because to be honest up to that point in the gala it had mostly been pretty drab …even the For Four costumes were rather subdued and everything else pretty much greyish! Suddenly there was colour! They are still a bit strange though the hoops didn’t bother me so much on a second viewing …albeit on film.

Alas, the sudden injection of neon colours wasn't the sole issue for me. I had no problems with the costumes seen before (have never liked the Fille male costumes, but that's just personal taste and I understand the ballet is light-hearted, fun and that they suit the narrative of the ballet etc.) I disliked the Prima costumes at the cinema relay and disliked them at the matinee - though disliked less live, in person.  For me, vibrant colours aside, they did not complement the beautiful bodies and fluid movements of the dancers - they shielded these and did not move as dancer's costumes should, three of the costumes also did not flatter these amazing women, IMO. That ruined it for me - it was not a fashion show and I believe those costumes were a huge error.  Saying that, I am still not convinced by all of the choreography and found it - I'm not sure how to describe this - not boring, but uninspiring? Some movements seemed quite random and it did nothing to show off these beautiful dancers. For Four, even though I felt it lacked sparkle on occasion, was slick and polished. It made sense to me. It showcased all of the male dancers so well (even if I felt Muntagirov's role was the least impressive of the four - he is a magnificent dancer and somehow I didn't feel he got to showcase his artistic and technical brilliance). I didn't think Prima was poor, I am certainly not saying that. There were parts I enjoyed (especially Kaneko's exuberant flourishes, which matched the opening theme of the third movement of the violin concerto - I thought that was really stunning) but overall, it felt like a disappointment to me. I have seen the excerpt ROH has posted on FB - I agree that that it looks better there, but nothing will change my mind about the costumes. I feel poor Hayward came off the worst - she is such a lyrical and emotive performer and all I could see was weird hoops, like wonky plates! If Hayward were modelling it for a fashion shoot, I am sure it would be gorgeously avante-garde. I once wore a hooped, vibrant clown costume to work for Children in Need - unfortunately the similarities are ingrained in my mind forever!

I didn't enjoy Dispatch Duet's music by Hearne, no. As a classical musician, I can appreciate the dissonance of the piece, and the structure of it but such music has never been a style I love and certainly is not something I would choose to listen to. That being said, it does me no harm to listen to different styles of music and to be challenged by them.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 10

Yes I thought Haywards was the least flattering though Magri's a close second as made her look a bit matronly. I thought maybe they would start to grow on me but the Piece probably won't be performed enough for that!! I definitely want to see it again though. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

That's a shame for Hinkis. I was looking forward to seeing her as Princess Stephanie on Wednesday.

As I understand it from this forum/IG, MGH has a recurrent ‘angry’ foot that flares up. It did before the General on Wednesday, then allowed her to dance at Saturday’s matinee but not in the evening. If this is the case, she may well be able to dance again as Stephanie on Wednesday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just as an aside, I noticed that there did not seem to be anyone from the Balanchine Trust credited for the staging or coaching of Diamonds.  In the recent past where the RB has performed works by Balanchine, the stager from the Trust was usually credited and I can recall some of them coming on at the opening performance to take a bow.  Not every time perhaps. But not this time it seems. I did wonder why, or if anyone had any further info about this. 

• Like 2