GISELLE United Ukrainian Ballet 13-17 September, Coliseum

Great news! UUB have just announced (although it’s not yet on the Coliseum website) that ABT principal Christine Shevchenko, who was fantastic in their post lockdown performances streamed online and received rave notices in their 2021-2022 season, will be joining them at the Coliseum. Christine, who is Ukrainian-American, is scheduled to dance Giselle on Saturday 17th, and in a wonderful bit of casting, Myrtha at some of the performances (although they haven’t confirmed which).

I've just booked another more tickets. I missed Christine when she danced in Ivan Putrov’s Ukrainian Gala (the pre war one last year) and had been so hoping to catch her performances one day! Hurrah! 

• Like 6

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

United Ukrainian Ballet have just announced on their social media pages that American Ballet Theatre’s Ukrainian-American principal ballerina Christine Shevchenko will joining them to dance Giselle on Saturday 17th, and Myrtha at some performances (not currently confirmed which dates for the Myrtha performances) and Hamburg Ballet’s Alexandr Trusch will join them to dance Albrecht to Alina Cojocaru’s Giselle on Wednesday and Friday. 

(The information hasn’t been updated on the London Coliseum website yet but no doubt will be eventually.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, news2me said:

Any word on dancers who have actually escaped the war and fled their country to dance the lead parts? 

Yes that would be interesting to know.  I guess the problem is they are also still performing in some of their own theatres that have reopened.. Eg Kyiv.   

13 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Great news! UUB have just announced (although it’s not yet on the Coliseum website) that ABT principal Christine Shevchenko, who was fantastic in their post lockdown performances streamed online and received rave notices in their 2021-2022 season, will be joining them at the Coliseum. Christine, who is Ukrainian-American, is scheduled to dance Giselle on Saturday 17th, and in a wonderful bit of casting, Myrtha at some of the performances (although they haven’t confirmed which).

I've just booked another more tickets. I missed Christine when she danced in Ivan Putrov’s Ukrainian Gala (the pre war one last year) and had been so hoping to catch her performances one day! Hurrah! 

Do you know if it is matinee or evening on the 17th? 

Katja Kaniukova has posted some lovely clips from her Giselle performance with Stanislav Volshanski on her IG story. This is the link to her account: https://www.instagram.com/khaniukova/?hl=en  She looks gorgeous........

[This Giselle topic is getting quite confusing on the Forum with parallel threads both containing information.]

Edited by capybara
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, capybara said:

[This Giselle topic is getting quite confusing on the Forum with parallel threads both containing information.]

I've moved the information posts and discussion about prices etc to this thread and temporarily locked the performance thread until nearer the time.

You are quite right Capybara, it was getting very confusing to follow.

• Thanks 3

From a friend who attended the performance yesterday in Amsterdam …

- cast was only announced verbally at curtain up

- there is lots of mime in both acts, more than my friend is used to.  Some gestures were unfamiliar.  

- Katja was lovely, especially in Act2.  Unfortunate height mismatch with Stanislav Olshansky

- Myrtha was good but not very fierce (is this a Ratmansky quirk?)

- nothing about Giselle’s weak heart.  This is explained in the Dance Europe video.  In this version the shock of her dying from betrayal should be heightened as it’s not foreseen.  

- Ratmansky changed a lot from the versions she knows best (Dutch, RB, Bolshoi) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

From a friend who attended the performance yesterday in Amsterdam …

- cast was only announced verbally at curtain up

- there is lots of mime in both acts, more than my friend is used to.  Some gestures were unfamiliar.  

- Katja was lovely, especially in Act2.  Unfortunate height mismatch with Stanislav Olshansky

- Myrtha was good but not very fierce (is this a Ratmansky quirk?)

- nothing about Giselle’s weak heart.  This is explained in the Dance Europe video.  In this version the shock of her dying from betrayal should be heightened as it’s not foreseen.  

- Ratmansky changed a lot from the versions she knows best (Dutch, RB, Bolshoi) 

thanks for the information.  it's lovely to know that there will be something different  onstage rather than "same old same old". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

Do you know if it is matinee or evening on the 17th? 

Evening show, I believe, PeterS.

So currently we have just casting for the evening performances which makes the matinee performances nice and mysterious 😁. Of course, as they say, “casting subject to change”, eg injury, Covid, illness etc. Just hope I don’t end up with the same cast on all my bookings, although alternative casts for Myrtha or Peasant pas de deux would still be worth watching.

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Katja Kaniukova has posted some lovely clips from her Giselle performance with Stanislav Volshanski on her IG story. This is the link to her account: https://www.instagram.com/khaniukova/?hl=en  She looks gorgeous........

Sorry capybara, I’d started the thread in “Performances Seen” hoping some members might be in Netherlands and be able to review it for us, but I guess they might be away for summer holidays! Wonder if anyone on the forum will be able to make it to Rotterdam. 

Apologies everyone, for the “another more tickets” (?!!) typo. (Even I don’t know what’s going on there...lol.) I had deleted “tickets for another performance” and changed it to “more tickets” but this tablet (supposedly “smart technology” but quite stupid actually!)  loves to alter what I typed after I’ve checked it and pressed return. I’m really tempted to go back to my ancient laptop which was more reliable, and give this tablet away! 

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

The ticket sales, or lack thereof, must be of great concern to the promoters. Really hope it picks up during the remaining weeks.

Me too.  They need to do some intensive marketing and PR…but that’s expensive. 😢

• Like 2

On 25/08/2022 at 05:53, zxDaveM said:

so are the tickets, and that's what might be the problem, in these trying times

The Nureyev program sales are looking pretty dire as well, probably for the same reason

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Nureyev program sales are looking pretty dire as well, probably for the same reason

It's difficult, people can't afford everything and I'm certainly being more selective about what I can see because I can afford fewer of them given the cost of living crisis. So whereas before I'd have done both this and the Nureyev event, I had to choose and went for this one because I wanted to support Ukraine.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

It's difficult, people can't afford everything and I'm certainly being more selective about what I can see because I can afford fewer of them given the cost of living crisis. So whereas before I'd have done both this and the Nureyev event, I had to choose and went for this one because I wanted to support Ukraine.  

Same here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

Same here.

I totally understand. In these tough times, it’s important to be selective.

After a quick rail trip to NYC to see the Sarasota Ballet (fabulous as ever!)last Sunday, husband and I have  no more ballet or other live theatre on our schedules. There’s absolutely nothing that attracts us to seeing ballet at the Kennedy Center or elsewhere in the region this season due to the overly-WOKE messaging and high prices. (We have to PAY for THAT?)  I’m glad that we  lived in the last era of quality non-woke ballet. The Sarasota programme of two fine Ashtons and a very pretty new work by Jessica Lang (to classical European music - shock!) was the perfect end to a lifetime of ballet going.

p.s. If the National Ballet of Georgia’s April 2023 US tour features truly classical and traditional ballets, we’ll consider going to that. Otherwise, our wallets are closed.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I totally understand. In these tough times, it’s important to be selective.

After a quick rail trip to NYC to see the Sarasota Ballet (fabulous as ever!)last Sunday, husband and I have  no more ballet or other live theatre on our schedules. There’s absolutely nothing that attracts us to seeing ballet at the Kennedy Center or elsewhere in the region this season due to the overly-WOKE messaging and high prices. (We have to PAY for THAT?)  I’m glad that we  lived in the last era of quality non-woke ballet. The Sarasota programme of two fine Ashtons and a very pretty new work by Jessica Lang (to classical European music - shock!) was the perfect end to a lifetime of ballet going.

p.s. If the National Ballet of Georgia’s April 2023 US tour features truly classical and traditional ballets, we’ll consider going to that. Otherwise, our wallets are closed.

Do you mean the National Ballet or the State Ballet?  The National does more Georgian folk dance which is amazing but not traditional ballet.  It's wonderful and I'd recommend it having seen it in Tbilisi.  The State Ballet is a lot more traditional ballet.  I saw them a few years ago (pre-Covid) doing Swan Lake and they were really good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Sadly, the booking picture for Mayerling and the new Crystal Pite work isn't looking good either.

perhaps too many performances of a doom-fest of a ballet (with v high prices in what used to be the cheaper seats high up) - a cheery way to KO the season in these gloomy times - and a ballet evening of about an hour (I have heard it is a straight run through so no interval) at pretty much full price

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

Do you mean the National Ballet or the State Ballet?  The National does more Georgian folk dance which is amazing but not traditional ballet.  It's wonderful and I'd recommend it having seen it in Tbilisi.  The State Ballet is a lot more traditional ballet.  I saw them a few years ago (pre-Covid) doing Swan Lake and they were really good

State - Nina A’s group…hopefully with Oscar Frame among the dancers.

Too bad that the Ukrainian Giselle isn’t booked at the Kennedy Center. Too classical?

Edited by Jeannette

17 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

State - Nina A’s group…hopefully with Oscar Frame among the dancers.

Too bad that the Ukrainian Giselle isn’t booked at the Kennedy Center. Too classical?

Probably that it's too expensive to travel to the US with Giselle.  They're based in the Netherlands, may not have a vast budget and it's a lot cheaper to visit London from there than it is to cross the Atlantic.  They might also want to see how popular it is in London and the Netherlands before looking further afield.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

- and a ballet evening of about an hour (I have heard it is a straight run through so no interval) at pretty much full price

That's why I am skipping the Pite programme altogether.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

I agree - worth travelling to see either group - they are utterly amazing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

…….. and a ballet evening of about an hour (I have heard it is a straight run through so no interval) at pretty much full price

But, apparently, Pite didn’t want anything else on the programme. If that is true, she needed to make a ‘full length’ work.

Only time will tell, I suppose………

2 hours ago, capybara said:

But, apparently, Pite didn’t want anything else on the programme. If that is true, she needed to make a ‘full length’ work.

Only time will tell, I suppose………

can choreographers make these stipulations? I can understand respecting the artist but these seems a bit of an unreasonable position both financially but also for ROH management and audiences? 

Now money is a bit tighter, I am also not going to see Pite. I would have given it a go if cheaper and maybe a completely new work, but as others have said it’s a bit gloomy and a risk for me to take financially now. 

I’m also not seeing Mayerling - I’m not a fan anyway but I could have been enticed by some of the casting if prices were what they were in 2018. But I don’t like it enough to pay what it’s on for now! 

by not seeing Mayerling and Pite I’ve justified Giselle and Nureyev as both offer something interesting (a chance to see Alina’s Giselle and support this fantastic company, and with Nureyev some interesting pieces I’ve not seen before and I enjoy gala formats). I hope they do sell well but it’s certainly a reflection of the financial situation for most, sadly these things will be first to go. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 8

On 25/08/2022 at 00:59, Sim said:

Me too.  They need to do some intensive marketing and PR…but that’s expensive. 😢

I’m surprised to see Alina hasn’t put anything up on her Instagram (?). It’s usually a good free way of raising awareness for those that follow ballerinas etc on social media. Perhaps closer to the time we can hope to see more promotion by way of news articles etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’m also not seeing Mayerling - I’m not a fan anyway but I could have been enticed by some of the casting if prices were what they were in 2018. But I don’t like it enough to pay what it’s on for now! 

by not seeing Mayerling and Pite I’ve justified Giselle and Nureyev as both offer something interesting (a chance to see Alina’s Giselle and support this fantastic company, and with Nureyev some interesting pieces I’ve not seen before and I enjoy gala formats). I hope they do sell well but it’s certainly a reflection of the financial situation for most, sadly these things will be first to go. 

I would agree.  Mayerling isn't my favourite but I would normally probably consider going.  But the tickets are so expensive for the seats I'd want to occupy.  For those prices I can see 2-3 other things.  

So I booked for Giselle to support Ukraine and the Trocks because they're so funny and that's what I can afford this autumn. Maybe Coppelia in October in Birmingham in October if I can get a day off work.   

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sim said:

That's why I am skipping the Pite programme altogether.

I'll probably go, but am waiting until nearer the time to see if I can find something else to fit in on the same day, because, given the exorbitant amount it's costing to get into London these days, I'm not really willing to go up there simply to watch something that will last less time than either journey.

• Like 6