GISELLE United Ukrainian Ballet 13-17 September, Coliseum

Agree that someone needs to sort marketing - Ukraine is a popular cause and it could push people who don’t usually see ballet to give this a go. 

I find out about a lot of the non ROH/ENB stuff via this forum. I wonder if ENB are/should do a bit of promo for this - appreciate it’s not their job to do so but one of their dancers is featuring as a prominent named principal in this, and it doesn’t clash with anything they are doing at the same time so it wouldn’t directly take “their” business away. 

Unless you actively keep an eye on all theatre webpages, it can be really difficult to know what’s going on. Social media is great - for things like galas, outside of this forum I would be aware as I follow various dancers on Instagram and they often publicise. 

• Like 3

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is that information has become more and more dispersed: event A can be found at location W, while event B is only mentioned in Y, and so on ...  And I know there are various dance events (venues?) which don't send press releases here when you'd think it might be a good idea to do so ...  And the social media bods have to cover so many bases themselves - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok for all I know - that I don't envy them at all.

• Like 1

Just to say Alina Cojocaru and Alexander Trusch were  simply ON FIRE 🔥 this afternoon at the Nureyev Gala matinee. Whoever has tickets to see them on Wed or Fri next week (or both!) is in for a wonderful treat.

Having never seen Trusch dance before, I was wondering if he would be able to match Cojocaru for her artistry and emotional power or whether he might just look like “the guy who lifts Alina” but I needn’t have worried. Despite the challenge of the Theatre Royal Stage and the distraction of having the orchestra so close to the dancers, he and Cojocaru could instantly create a mood and he was definitely every inch the self satisfied, suave and egotistical Don Juan whose emotional journey during the pas de deux is very vividly portrayed by Trusch. I look forward to his debut as Albrecht at the Coliseum,  and of course, Alina’s Giselle (the third production London audiences will be seeing her in - not counting the Akram Khan one).

Am also looking forward to the face off in Act 2 of Giselle vs  Myrtha in the first cast 😄- the battle of the ballerinas - ie Khaniukova vs Shevchenko. Haven’t seen Shevchenko in the role with ABT or Khaniukova as Giselle (she was magnificent in ENB’s Playlist (EP), as Henriette in Raymonda and before Covid, as Lescaut's mistress in Manon so I’m really looking forward to it.)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Just to say Alina Cojocaru and Alexander Trusch were  simply ON FIRE 🔥 this afternoon at the Nureyev Gala matinee. Whoever has tickets to see them on Wed or Fri next week (or both!) is in for a wonderful treat.

Having never seen Trusch dance before, I was wondering if he would be able to match Cojocaru for her artistry and emotional power or whether he might just look like “the guy who lifts Alina” but I needn’t have worried. Despite the challenge of the Theatre Royal Stage and the distraction of having the orchestra so close to the dancers, he and Cojocaru could instantly create a mood and he was definitely every inch the self satisfied, suave and egotistical Don Juan whose emotional journey during the pas de deux is very vividly portrayed by Trusch. I look forward to his debut as Albrecht at the Coliseum,  and of course, Alina’s Giselle (the third production London audiences will be seeing her in - not counting the Akram Khan one).

I'm afraid I'd never even heard of Trusch before so I was relieved that I liked him last night, as it would be jolly awkward to decide you don't like a dancer a week before seeing them in a full length ballet! I thought he looked quite young, only in his early-mid 20s, but working out dates from his programme bio he must actually be in his early 30s.

• Like 4

On 05/09/2022 at 23:34, JNC said:

Agree that someone needs to sort marketing - Ukraine is a popular cause and it could push people who don’t usually see ballet to give this a go. 

I find out about a lot of the non ROH/ENB stuff via this forum. I wonder if ENB are/should do a bit of promo for this - appreciate it’s not their job to do so but one of their dancers is featuring as a prominent named principal in this, and it doesn’t clash with anything they are doing at the same time so it wouldn’t directly take “their” business away. 

Unless you actively keep an eye on all theatre webpages, it can be really difficult to know what’s going on. Social media is great - for things like galas, outside of this forum I would be aware as I follow various dancers on Instagram and they often publicise. 

I noticed that ENB and BRB both put posts on social media promoting UUB’s Giselle quite early on in the booking period which was lovely  of them. A bit surreal and annoying to see some people then posting trolling comments on the posts though.  

On 06/09/2022 at 22:49, Dawnstar said:

I'm afraid I'd never even heard of Trusch before so I was relieved that I liked him last night, as it would be jolly awkward to decide you don't like a dancer a week before seeing them in a full length ballet! I thought he looked quite young, only in his early-mid 20s, but working out dates from his programme bio he must actually be in his early 30s.

Having googled Alexander Trusch I agree, he definitely doesn't look his age.  Ballet dancers seem to look absurdly youthful sometimes.  I think most of them have a portrait in the attic that ages for them.  Vadim Muntagirov is 32 apparently and when I've done classes with him at Danceworks online he looks about 20 and entirely unchanged from his teenage years.  

I'm so glad Alexander Trusch is good.  I've not heard of him either and was wondering how he'd be with Alina next week but I am really excited that their pairing worked so well at the gala.  It makes me even more excited for next week's Giselle.    

• Like 8

The train strikes on 15th & 17th have now been cancelled, due to the death of the Queen. Whether that will help ticket sales for Giselle or whether that will be cancelled out by people not wanting to go to the theatre next week I don't know, but I'm grateful that I now don't have to worry about getting stuck on the way back from London on Wednesday night.

• Like 6

I too thought cancellation of the train strikes might make it possible to travel next week for both Nureyev and Giselle but haven’t had any success so far with Avanti. It may be the cancellations haven’t as yet been reflected in the timetable so I’ll try later but not the simple bookings I’d been hoping to make.

On 06/09/2022 at 22:49, Dawnstar said:

Same here.  You are in for a treat seeing Cojocaru as Giselle!  She seems to still be in top form - I remember seeing her dance with her real-life partner Kobborg in Giselle many years ago (she looked like a child but danced like an angel).  Unforgettable.  We are so lucky to get the opportunity to see her in this role again.  It isn't just her exquisite technique but the depth of her personality that shines through.  If there was one ballet dancer I could choose to be personal friends with it would be Alina.

• Like 3

Just now, Jeannette said:

Will performances continue during the National period of mourning? 

I imagine yes … according to this email I received related to Athelhampton Ballet which precedes these Giselle for Ukraine (10/11 September ) 

In line with advice from the Department of Media, Culture and Sport, like most theatres, we will be going ahead with both of the performances this weekend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Will performances continue during the National period of mourning? 

The Society of London Theatre says yes, although lights will be dimmed for 2 minutes at 7 pm, as is conventional as a sign of mourning in the theatre world.  I don't yet know what's happening on the musical side of things.

The last two performances in this year's Proms season have been cancelled, though.

11 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I imagine yes … according to this email I received related to Athelhampton Ballet which precedes these Giselle for Ukraine (10/11 September ) 

In line with advice from the Department of Media, Culture and Sport, like most theatres, we will be going ahead with both of the performances this weekend.

The day of the actual funeral - 10th day after HM’s death - may be a tough one to get around on any sort of transport. 

I liked Alex Beard’s response yesterday - ROH cancelled last night’s performance and insight event (the start of the new season). It may be ROH would cancel the performance on the day of the funeral. That to me seems respectful and proportionate.

The Cabinet Office’s guidance is helpful:

“There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations.”

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I liked Alex Beard’s response yesterday - ROH cancelled last night’s performance and insight event (the start of the new season). It may be ROH would cancel the performance on the day of the funeral. That to me seems respectful and proportionate.

To me, it’s all about respect. That’s the least that the great lady & extraordinary figure in history deserves. Maybe I’m old fashioned but I couldn’t imagine going out & about, seeking entertainment, at this time. But I respect different feelings by others. C’est tout.

• Like 1

If theatres chose to close they would have to refund patrons. So I really think it’s fair to stay open - both for those who still want to attend performances they have booked for, and also for valuable income.

People don’t have to attend performances if they don’t wish to.

I imagine on the actual day of the funeral performances may be cancelled (and more likely if a bank holiday is called) but for the other days of the mourning period I think “keep calm and carry on”. 

The only issue may be London could be very busy with people travelling to see the Queen lying in state, and as someone has already mentioned despite strikes being called off it looks like a lot of trains are already unavailable or sold out. Not sure if this is because they’re due to release more  tickets and haven’t yet as they’re still sorting out the finer details or something else! 

I have great respect for the Queen but people may wish a bit of escapism (before the bleak winter kicks in) or simply don’t feel the need to grieve someone they didn’t personally know. Each to their own I think. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JNC said:

I have great respect for the Queen but people may wish a bit of escapism (before the bleak winter kicks in) or simply don’t feel the need to grieve someone they didn’t personally know. Each to their own I think. 

I should imagine they probably will cancel performances on the day of the funeral but I would highly expect they'd run them the other days and that seems the right balance to me.  

I definitely think a bit of fun is good for us in these difficult economic times all but then I went to tango class the day after my grandfather died because I felt closer to him when I was dancing because he loved it too and it made me feel better and closer to him than sitting at home feeling sad.  I loved my grandfather and miss him deeply.  I didn't know the Queen, I have no personal grief for the end of a long life well lived by someone I've never met (although I recognise it's sad for her family who will miss her). As you say, each to their own.    

I am certainly going to go to ballet class on Monday and to see Giselle and they'll be the two high points of what will be a fairly busy week at work. 

• Like 3

Well my mother of all cough and cold has just tested positive for Covid😥

After all this time have finally caught the dreaded lurgy!! I am due to be going to this event next Wednesday but if I can’t make it I may have a ticket for sale. 

I don’t want to pre-empt things as I’m really hoping I’m going to be clear by then but its Upper Circle D.20 so a very good seat. If I do sell it I’d be happy for it to go at half price 
I’ve been ill since last Monday but as haven’t had Covid before am not sure how long it will take to clear …though today ironically there are signs of improvement. 
I will make the decision whether I am able to go or not on the Tuesday. So will advertise here on this thread or in ticket section on Forum on Tuesday if still testing positive then. 
I really hope I don’t have to miss it though. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

After all this time have finally caught the dreaded lurgy!! I am due to be going to this event next Wednesday but if I can’t make it I may have a ticket for sale. 

I don’t want to pre-empt things as I’m really hoping I’m going to be clear by then but its Upper Circle D.20 so a very good seat. If I do sell it I’d be happy for it to go at half price 
I’ve been ill since last Monday but as haven’t had Covid before am not sure how long it will take to clear …though today ironically there are signs of improvement. 
I will make the decision whether I am able to go or not on the Tuesday. So will advertise here on this thread or in ticket section on Forum on Tuesday if still testing positive then. 

get better soon!

covid takes some 3-7 days to clear, usually

• Thanks 1

If you haven't seen already, London Theatre Direct has some great deals for the Tues, Wed and Thursday performances of Giselle. Having booked full price tickets back when, this means I can now afford to see another cast (Alina 🤩 and Alexandr Trusch, who I thought was fantastic in the Nureyev gala).  Time will tell if they extend the offer to Friday and Saturday; I hope they get a full house for all shows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, JNC said:

For me it’s spiritual, tied to religion…although I’m Russian Orthodox, not Anglican. No need to have known the Queen personally. We’re all different, as you write. Total respect, JNC!

I  brought it up in this thread due to the lengthy prior discussion about the possible transport strike & ability to get to the venue. Apologies! No intention to offend. ✌️ 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LinMM said:

LinMM, don’t forget as it’s Covid you can get a full refund of your ticket price from the theatre box office  and rebook for when you’re well- because they won’t want you to infect their staff and everyone else. I’ve managed to get one easily before with no fuss- the “chat to us” facility on their website is very good (a real  staff member and not a bot). Or you may prefer to do a ticket exchange to Friday (when Cojocaru and Trusch are also dancing). Fingers crossed you will be well enough not to have to do all that switching around.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou Emeralds 🙏 on both accounts! 

I didn’t know the having Covid thing would still apply for refunds at this point in time but may turn out to be useful or certainly the possibility of exchange to the Friday if necessary. 
I particularly wanted to see Alina as Giselle again as it must be coming up to 20 years since I last saw her dance this role! 

• Like 3

some practical info, it'll be interesting to see how this differs from the RB version which runs longer:

Hello 

We are excited to welcome you to the London Coliseum to see Giselle  The United Ukrainian Ballet.

A reminder of your performance details:

Date13 September 2022
Time: 19:30
Duration: Approximately 2 hours, including an interval.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some other information:

British Gas is digging up St Martin's Lane right in front of the Coliseum, so parking has been suspended, and I doubt there's any access to right in front of the theatre.  Not sure what the arrangements are for disabled patrons.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Candleque said:

If you haven't seen already, London Theatre Direct has some great deals for the Tues, Wed and Thursday performances of Giselle.

I can hardly believe that £150 tickets have been reduced to £33. I would have liked front row stalls but couldn't afford it at £150 so paid £85, which was on the limit of what I could afford, for side block stalls. Now I find I could have got front row stalls for over £50 less than I paid for an inferior seat if only I'd left booking until the last minute. With first the Nureyev Gala ticket offers & now this I'm feeling very unhappy at the moment & very put off booking for anything non-ROH in advance in the future.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, alison said:

Some other information:

British Gas is digging up St Martin's Lane right in front of the Coliseum, so parking has been suspended, and I doubt there's any access to right in front of the theatre.  Not sure what the arrangements are for disabled patrons.

Fingers crossed it’s a quick repair job and not one of those long extensive “upgrade” ones. Surely they must have some access on foot for the front next week (I think London Coliseum is currently closed?) as the side entrance is very limited in space and has no wheelchair access. They could split entry between both but they’d have to make a path for disabled patrons in the front. 

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm eyeing up the timetable for the Queen's funeral arrangements nervously. I'm supposed to be seeing Giselle on Wednesday & am worried London and the trains to & from it will be absolutely heaving, with there being a procession scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

I think people travelling to see the procession will probably leave early in the morning (or go to London the day before), because if they travel at the same time as theatregoers from surrounding counties, they’d have missed it completely (starts at 2.22pm).

The procession is going from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall via Queen’s Gardens, The Mall, Horse Guards, Whitehall, Parliament Street, Parliament Square, part of which is the normal car/taxi route from Victoria Railway Station to the Coliseum for many drivers- this route will be closed off, so if he prepared for a longer drive and detour if you plan to arrive by car.

But I’m sure much of the route will be reopened by evening, although there would probably still be delays compared to usual traffic. Tube is probably fastest (Embankment or Charing Cross), or get the train to as close to the theatre as possible eg Charing Cross station. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, alison said:

Is this the downside (for the theatre/performers) of dynamic pricing, I wonder?  I believe that's what the Coliseum are now practising.

I think this is actually more like the TKTS booth in Leicester Square (formerly the famous Leicester Square Half Price Ticket Booth) - similar to the New York City one - which has been selling hard-to-shift tickets for West End shows for many decades (I first visited it as a small child on holiday in London with my parents and I’m no longer a child 😄) . They’re just putting the tickets on a little earlier - but some west end shows put the discounts on early too. There are lots of cut price deals today on their website today!

Even ROH does these heavy discounts on the day for hard to sell productions although it’s now quite hush hush and not publicised like it used to be. I used to get tickets at a third of (as in 66% discount, not a third off) the original price for many mixed bills. I used to feel a tad guilty sitting next to someone who had clearly paid full price, but then it’s better than having the seat go to waste- I definitely wouldn’t have been able to watch three casts in those days. Nowadays the discount they offer varies a lot and for near sold out shows there are none offered at all, so it’s a risk if you wait.....rather like airline tickets- sometimes you get early bird discounts, sometimes you get last minute cut price deals, and sometimes there’s no discount at all. 

I had a look and actually the seats I paid full price for are more to my preference (row and location) than what the cheaper discounted tickets offer, so I’m not tempted nor dismayed at having bought at full price. But for people who just want a cheaper ticket anywhere and aren’t fussy, then yes, there are great deals. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3