Federico Bonelli Reviews, Farewell and Appreciation Thread 2022

While some of us are waiting eagerly for booking to open tomorrow for A Month in the Country, I thought I’d open this thread for those of us still trying to process the news that Fede will not be dancing at Covent Garden after May but begins an exciting chapter at Northern Ballet as artistic director. Feel free to post your memories/reviews of his performances this season, reminiscences from previous seasons, etc. (Dear moderators, if someone has already posted something similar please feel free to move/edit/merge this.)

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed his Romeo with Marianela Nunez as his Juliet in last month. Incredibly, it was only my first time seeing him in the full work though I’d seen him dance the balcony pas de deux magnificently at a gala with Sarah Lamb before. Although we get spoilt with many young talents making electrifying debuts, it is also a luxury to see experienced stars like Fede and Nela mining their treasure trove of artistry and subtlety to bring us nuances of the dramatic roles. Fede of course looks perpetually youthful as Romeo, dances the choreography like a dream, and could probably dance Romeo for many more years if he wanted.

Also he’s never been an attention grabbing personality (in this celeb and social media influenced age) who is in the headlines for non-dance reasons, but if you look at the premieres and classics every season, he is always there, and Fede always delivers-never seen him give a bad performance regardless of the ballet he is in. From McGregor to Wheeldon to Scarlett premieres, to Robbins revivals and Ashton revivals, everyone wants to cast Bonelli. Symphonic Variations, Chroma, Infra, Woolf Works, Yugen, The Winter’s Tale (Polixenes as well as Leontes), Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Dances at a Gathering, Afternoon of a Faun, In the Night, Marguerite and Armand, A Month in the Country, and the classics....so many standout performances....and that’s just the first page. 😊 Looking forward to 4 March and 30 April.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks Emeralds…what a lovely assessment of this very special dancer. I am reminded again how much we will miss him. 😥

😢 Tears for me too, although delighted for him and his family, having this exciting opportunity and new adventure. I hope he will keep guesting and gala options open, especially in London. 😁

• Like 3

I think the first time I saw him at the ROH in a full length role was in Mayerling with Laura Morera. What a fabulous first time role to see him in. They were both sensational and I always regret it was never filmed as I would have loved to revisit it. I think I saw him at the cinema doing De Grieux in Manon with Nunez and that was very special too. He seems very self-effacing for a principal dancer, always trying to get the best out of his partner.  Even at the Insight night last week (his last he reminded us) he was constantly working on his role and discussing it with his partner, Fumi. Just frustrating you couldn't hear what he was saying. I'm so pleased I got a ticket for his Swan Lake and Month in the Country.  Our loss is Northern Ballet's gain but he will be missed by all his admirers and I echo Emeralds  wish that he will occasionally come out of retirement to please all his admirers with his wonderful performances.

• Like 15

For me he was what a danseur noble should be - could a man run onto a stage any more elegantly! I likewise loved him in Manon, R&J and the much maligned Frankenstein. Hopefully this move works out for him, he perhaps returns one day to Covent Garden. 

• Like 10

I am sorry to have only caught Federico Bonelli towards the tail end of what clearly  has been a wonderful dancing career,  starting in 2018 with his Des Grieux,  with Hayward as  Manon, followed soon in the same year with his memorable Siegfried with Takada in Swan Lake,  and fittingly  likely to end (for me ) again with his Siegfried with Kaneko, on her Swan Lake debut next week.

A great classical dancer but equally able to sparkle in more modern works such as Yugen, Woolf Works, and Dances at a Gathering. 

As well as a fantastically accomplished dancer, he is such a great partner, and in this regard  I think of his Act 2 Swan Lake PDD with  Takada for the "Back on Stage" screening in October 2020 -  just the most moving, poignant, treasured 9 minutes of ballet heaven ! - and most recently his brilliant Romeo opposite Nunez. 

A great loss for the RB but wishing him all the best  as he moves on in his career with Northern Ballet. 

• Like 9

He is probably my favourite male dancer. I was lucky to see him in Mayerling and Onegin, which are in my top 3 ballet performances I've ever seen. As Emerelds said, I don't think there is a role or style that wouldn't suit him. I really hope I can see his final performance, although I'll probably be a wreck 😭

• Like 4

Sorry to confuse anyone: it wasn’t Infra that I saw him in but Tetractys, with Bach’s Art of Fugue music. I got my titles mixed up. 😁

NB General booking for his sole Month in the Country performance on 30 April has now opened, good seats are still available but are gradually being snapped up. I am guessing it is probably his last RB show as I can’t see anything else announced after that with his name in it. 

For those who still want to score a ticket for the currently sold out Swan Lake (with Fumi Kaneko) on 4 March, don’t forget that Friday Rush for that is this coming Friday (25 Feb) 1pm! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

I booked especially to see Federico partner Lauren Cuthbertson in Giselle in Autumn 2021 … as it was her return to the stage after her baby break and as it was clear by his age that Federico would be coming to end of his dancing days.  

So glad I did.  His Albrecht was endearing and truthful and devastated by his own actions.  It does help to be beautiful too, to help draw our sympathy for his caddish behaviour.   And he was very tender towards his Giselle.  

He performed the 32 entrechat six in Act 2 , which I did not expect, as he is not known for virtuoso technique.  Well!  What can I say … from about #12 I was silently applauding … they were super. 

I’m looking forward to his Siegfried with Fumi Kaneko.  

• Like 6

I rather thought the fact that Federico was allowed to perform the 32 fouetees when the choreography is otherwise was a nod to the fact that that would be his last outing as Albrecht.

But it is his Onegin which will be for ever etched in my memory. Astonishing!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I rather thought the fact that Federico was allowed to perform the 32 fouetees when the choreography is otherwise

Now, that's what I would call astonishing! :)  

He wasn't the only one to do the entrechats six, though - would that imply that the others were also leaving/retiring?

• Like 1

I bet if Jules Perrot were asked by some of his Albrechts “hey, can we just keep going with entrechats six for the music”, he’d probably have said, “if you have the stamina and it looks good, sure. It will look like Myrtha is almost about to finish you off!” The two most common versions of the solo are either continuous entrechats six or repeated brises from the corner. I like both but always thought the entrechats look more dramatic, as they can’t get a breather while running back to the corner

I did not manage to see any of his live performances until 2012, although I have treasured  memories of his Daphnis and Symphonic Variations. But I'm pleased to say that this was largely remedied after that cats when I realised that he was a dancer who could also express emotion, be an excellent partner, and dance a large number of roles in many different styles. Am pleased to have seen him in the Macmillan bit three, even if Romeo came as a late bonus. To me, his performances as Rudolph and Onegin benefited from a sympathetic portrayal of both characters,something I did not feel with some interpreters. His Polixenes in Winters Tale was a joy, and Frankenstein and Escamillo( both in rather maligned ballets) are well worth watching. Woolf Works was a beautiful.interpretation, as we're his other McGregor performances. I'm grateful to have so many of these on DVD - oh for Onegin and Rudolph, and while we're about it, couldn't we have his Manon with Nunez, and Swan Lake with Takada? He will be early missed and I wish him and his family all good luck for the future. And many many thanks for so many beautiful performances.

• Like 4

I have some vivid memories of Bonelli giving a marvellous  performance and drawing all eyes- in 2 or 3 ballets I thought very mediocre. I shall not name any names but will just say he looked wonderful in that red dressing gown.

😀

He seemed to have that ability to rise above anything.

His elegance and his presence will stay with me- Winter's Tale is a special memory.

• Like 4

It has just been announced by the RB that Federico will not now be dancing in Month on April 30th.  This is soooo disappointing but I am very glad and grateful that I have tickets to his final show with the RB, which will be Swan Lake on March 4th.  He will be dancing in the special NHS programme on March 19th but I don't think that's for public booking.

So sad we won't be seeing him in Month.  😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Sim said:

It has just been announced by the RB that Federico will not now be dancing in Month on April 30th.  This is soooo disappointing but I am very glad and grateful that I have tickets to his final show with the RB, which will be Swan Lake on March 4th.  He will be dancing in the special NHS programme on March 19th but I don't think that's for public booking.

Oh, nooooooooooo!

Maybe he is needed by Northern Ballet as it is the day before his Directorship starts for real.

Where is the announcement?

Edited by capybara

That is indeed disappointing. I spent weeks worrying whether I'd be able to get a ticket for Month on 30th & now all that worry was for nothing! It also, though this is probably just me, feels as though it'll be slightly unsatisfactory if they go through a full farewell curtain call on 4th when everyone will know he'll be dancing again on 19th. I'm also starting to feel like I'm displaying terrible first/last timing issues: in 2020 I saw Soares for the first time at his farewell performance & now my first ever Swan Lake will be Bonelli's last public performance!

For those upthread saying you've not seen as much of Bonelli as you'd have liked, you can all take comfort from & feel superior to me because you've all seen more of Bonelli than I have! After seeing the RB live for the first time in October 2018, the first performance I had booked to see Bonelli in was The Nutcracker in January 2019, only for him to cancel due to going on sabatical. I managed to see him for the first time in March 2019 in Frankenstein. After that I had to wait until Manon the following season then managed Raymonda Act III, Dances At A Gathering & Onegin. This season I've seen him as Albrecht & Romeo. Siegfried next week will wrap up the far too few roles I've seen him in. The one I really mind having not having seen him in is Mayerling. If only I'd started seeing the RB live a few months earlier or if I'd booked for his Mayerling cast rather than the should-have-been-Watson-but-ended-up-as-Hirano cast. Oh well, I suppose at least I've seen more of him than I did of Soares!!

• Like 1

Very disappointing but understandable given the circumstances. 

I think to be honest I booked more for Laura Morera rather than Bonelli (or their partnership at least) so whilst disappointing I’m still looking forward to seeing her perform. 

wonder if she’ll be paired with Bracewell now, given and she danced the Nutcracker with Bracewell. So still a promising combination. Other choices would be Muntagirov or Ball and of the three my pick would be Bracewell to partner I think. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, capybara said:

Oh, nooooooooooo!

Maybe he is needed by Northern Ballet as it is the day before his Directorship starts for real.

Where is the announcement?

Oh I see (from the Swan Lake thread) that the announcement was made on Twitter. I always feel that using that route for a first notification somehow diminishes the significance of what is being imparted. Nothing yet on the ROH website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, capybara said:

Oh I see (from the Swan Lake thread) that the announcement was made on Twitter. I always feel that using that route for a first notification somehow diminishes the significance of what is being imparted. Nothing yet on the ROH website.

It's Friday evening - maybe the press release person wasn't still there?  Given the shortage of time, I can understand the RB wanting to get the information out as soon as possible, I suppose, but I agree that it's unsatisfactory.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 19:23, ninamargaret said:

But I'm pleased to say that this was largely remedied after that cats when I realised that he was a dancer who could also express emotion, be an excellent partner, and dance a large number of roles in many different styles.

I know it’s a typo but I’m now imagining Bonelli as Mister Mistoffelees.

• Like 6

Here is a link to a Japanese interview with Federico Bonelli, very interesting and insightful, as it was published only yesterday! Although the text is in Japanese, if you use Google translate I believe the translation is fairly accurate (as I can understand both languages). 

If there is any passage that might be unclear, I may be able to clarify :) 

https://www.chacott-jp.com/news/worldreport/others/detail025324.html

• Like 4

On 25/02/2022 at 17:52, Sim said:

It’s not on the website, Facebook or Instagram and I haven’t received an email after booking tickets for that performance (as they were doing for cast changes of principals in other ballets) - they’ve only posted it on the Royal Ballet’s Twitter account and retweeted it on the ROH Twitter account.

Rather disappointing that Federico and Laura weren’t given one of the two shows on the first Saturday (23rd) now. And it seems an unwise decision (in terms of injury risk) and unfair on William Bracewell having to rehearse with two different partners the very first season he is scheduled to dance in A Month in the Country. Odd that both Mathew Ball and Vadim Muntagirov not available to perform in his place. 

The Twitter thread has also added that while Fede will be dancing in a later performance on the 19 March (a Welcome Performance and Thank You NHS performance), 4 March will be treated as his farewell celebration. I notice that currently all the shows of Swan Lake are listed as being sold out, including 4 March. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Odd that both Mathew Ball and Vadim Muntagirov not available to perform in his place. 

I do slightly wonder whether this is further reason for Morera/Bracewell to do the Friends' Rehearsal, as Ball and Muntagirov are both scheduled for the following day.

• Like 1