Federico Bonelli Reviews, Farewell and Appreciation Thread 2022

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Marie said:

@Dawnstar Glad to see I'm not the only one! Thanks for sharing your experiences, that's really interesting. Does that mean you had the attention of Mr Bonelli all to yourself?😲 that must have been something to remember! 

Yes, I was able to have a short conversation with him. Given the only time I'd met him previously was a few seconds at a book signing & there'll obviously be no future opportunities, in hindsight it was definitely worth freezing for nearly an hour after that Giselle!

Did anyone successfully stage door tonight? I waited for a short time but had to go before many people had exited, or I'd've missed a second train. (Writing this at half past midnight & I'm still on my train home.)

Does anyone know where the carnations the FOH staff were giving out in the foyer after tonight's performance came from? Were they surplus to flower throw requirements?

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, I was able to have a short conversation with him. Given the only time I'd met him previously was a few seconds at a book signing & there'll obviously be no future opportunities, in hindsight it was definitely worth freezing for nearly an hour after that Giselle!

Did anyone successfully stage door tonight? I waited for a short time but had to go before many people had exited, or I'd've missed a second train. (Writing this at half past midnight & I'm still on my train home.)

Does anyone know where the carnations the FOH staff were giving out in the foyer after tonight's performance came from? Were they surplus to flower throw requirements?

If Mr Bonelli follows David Nixon’s example you will have the opportunity to see and even talk to him at NB performances including Sadler’s Wells in May!

• Like 5

Did anyone manage to successfully identify the dancers who came on stage to say goodbye/thank Bonelli and hand him a white rose (or bouquet). I was sat a distance away so struggled but think I got 

Morera 

Zenaida Yanowksy (?)

someone else?

Magri 

Hayward 

Lamb

o’sullivan 

nunez 

cuthbertson 

Naghdi 

McRae 

Muntagirov I think?

Monica Mason came out with someone older I couldn’t identify perhaps Lesley Collier but I could be well off 

Alessandra Ferri

Wayne McGregor 

And of course Bonelli’s wife Hikaru Kobayashi and daughter June (absolutely adorable!) 

It did make me realise the importance of stage makeup and lighting for capturing dancer’s faces in performance as I was squinting away! 

Lovely to see the love and support from all last night and Bonelli will be sorely missed - his ability to be a true danseur noble and bring human emotion in roles like Des Grieux, Albretch and of course Siegfried…Nothern Ballet is very lucky and I shall watch with interest what he does up there! 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Did anyone manage to successfully identify the dancers who came on stage to say goodbye/thank Bonelli and hand him a white rose (or bouquet). I was sat a distance away so struggled but think I got 

Morera 

Zenaida Yanowksy (?)

someone else?

Magri 

Hayward 

Lamb

o’sullivan 

nunez 

cuthbertson 

Naghdi 

McRae 

Muntagirov I think?

Monica Mason came out with someone older I couldn’t identify perhaps Lesley Collier but I could be well off 

Alessandra Ferri

Wayne McGregor 

And of course Bonelli’s wife Hikaru Kobayashi and daughter June (absolutely adorable!) 

'

A lovely, well-orchestrated farewell.

Yanowsky, yes.

Jeanetta Lawrence was with Dame Monica

Muntagirov was the last of the men on; McRae the first; (if they were there, the other five male Principals did not come on with flowers)

Osipova and Takada were the only Principal ballerinas 'missing' - (a presumably now Covid negative Nunez was there)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Osipova and Takada were the only Principal ballerinas 'missing'

It may be Osipova was still feeling unwell but I was also particularly sorry Takada was not able to be there for some reason...she and Federico were such a great pairing in Swan Lake.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If anyone fancies a shock, ask @Rob S how many curtain call photos he took last night! I've just about finished scraping my jaw off the ground!

😄 It was a long curtain call and had lots of people to snap, add to that nobody stood up in front of me to slow me down, normally I'd only take about 2000

• Like 5

A terrific evening last night. Such a privilege to be there at Fumi's debut (not that you'd have realised it. I've seldom seen such an assured performance,  let alone debut) and Federico's final public RB performance. 

The evening was emotionally charged right from the start with Kevin's announcement and the playing of the Ukraine national anthem to which the entire audience rose spontaneously. Fumi and Federico were magnificent, such fabulous acting and port de bras from her, and his dancing and partnering were such that it made me realised anew what a loss he'll be to the RB.  But it was the corps that really mesmerised me last night.  I thought they were sensational, with a degree of togetherness I've seldom seen outside the Mariinsky; incredible.  Then the standing ovation at the end and all the presentation. It was all so emotional!

Incidentally  you didn't miss anything at the stage door,  Dawnstar as they didn't come out. They went on somewhere else and I hope they enjoyed themselves; they certainly deserve it!

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Incidentally  you didn't miss anything at the stage door,  Dawnstar as they didn't come out. They went on somewhere else and I hope they enjoyed themselves; they certainly deserve it!

I guessed that might have been the case from some pictures on Instagram today that looked to have been taken at a party! I hope no-one waited for hours in vain.

On 05/03/2022 at 07:29, JNC said:

Morera 

Zenaida Yanowksy (?)

someone else?

Magri 

Hayward 

Lamb

o’sullivan 

nunez 

cuthbertson 

Naghdi 

McRae 

Muntagirov I think?

Alessandra Ferri

Wayne McGregor 

It did make me realise the importance of stage makeup and lighting for capturing dancer’s faces in performance as I was squinting away! 

Lovely to see the love and support from all last night and Bonelli will be sorely missed - his ability to be a true danseur noble and bring human emotion in roles like Des Grieux, Albretch and of course Siegfried…Nothern Ballet is very lucky and I shall watch with interest what he does up there! 

Also spotted Ryoichi Hirano in the back row applauding while quite a few ballerinas, eg Nunez, had their phones on to video/photograph proceedings. (Quite funny that they will only be filming his back and not his face!) 

Yes, Vadim Muntagirov came on to give him a warm hug, as did Steven McRae. I couldn’t help thinking of each memorable role he had danced with each colleague as they came out, eg Woolf Works with Ferri, Romeo with Cuthbertson, Frankenstein & Manon with Morera, Alice & Yugen with Sarah Lamb, Polixenes to McRae’s Florizel, Dances at a Gathering with Nunez, Onegin with Naghdi etc....just a small sampling of recent triumphs. I thought it was very sweet that Fede also got flowers at this farewell,  in addition to the masses of bouquets for Fumi’s bouquet. The Royal Opera House stage was heaving with flowers on Friday night. 😊

I also couldn’t help wondering how late Yasmine and Vadim stayed at or how early they left the party in order to be well rested for their Swan Lake on Saturday!  😁

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I also couldn’t help wondering how late Yasmine and Vadim stayed at or how early they left the party in order to be well rested for their Swan Lake on Saturday!  😁

That they were there on stage and greeting Federico was a huge mark of the respect in which he is held by everyone. Nice to see.

• Like 4

On 05/03/2022 at 18:48, jmhopton said:

When I went out on the amphitheatre terrace for the second interval, part of it was closed off for a "private event".  I don't know if that was it, or whether it was for something else.  Might have been a bit nippy at that time of night!

• Like 1

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this here and a Moderator will no doubt remove if I can’t, but the NHK broadcast of Swan Lake with Federico Bonelli partnering Akane Takada has now surfaced in excellent quality on You Tube.

• Like 6

On 08/03/2022 at 00:30, alison said:

When I went out on the amphitheatre terrace for the second interval, part of it was closed off for a "private event".  I don't know if that was it, or whether it was for something else.  Might have been a bit nippy at that time of night!

I can confirm. Bonelli’s parents were in the same row as me - 2 seats away - and they were heading to the terrace afterwards. It’s lovely to know that they could all enjoy a party afterwards, it was a proper leaving ‘do’. I thought his words from the stage were very moving and sincere. It always seems a shock to hear dancers talk, since their art is so silent on their part.  But Bonelli seems a good communicator, which bodes well for his new job. 

• Like 12

For fans who wanted to go but couldn’t get a ticket to the 4 March performance and aren’t eligible for the 19 March Welcome Performance/NHS Thank You Performance, it has been announced that Federico and Fumi will be performing with other RB, ENB & international stars at the benefit gala for Ukraine being organised by Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Putrov on the evening of Sat 19 March at the London Coliseum (right after their Swan Lake performance on the same day). 👍

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen the news on the  news and information section. For further info and tickets, go to the London Coliseum website (tickets in various price categories still available). 😊

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but on Youtube, Dance Europe has a great interview up with Fede on his career and retirement.

He's just such a lovely person, his overwhelming kind and caring nature always shines through.

• Like 10

Yes, this interview with Federico is in the new Dance Europe magazine together with a photo of him partnering Fumi Kaneko in Swan Lake  on the cover. A beautiful photo of a lovely dancer and person. I hope he has as great a career with Northern Ballet as he had done with the RB. 

Also if he can return Northern Ballet's visits to the Grand Theatre, Blackpool I will be very grateful. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, emmarose said:

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but on Youtube, Dance Europe has a great interview up with Fede on his career and retirement.

He's just such a lovely person, his overwhelming kind and caring nature always shines through.

Thank you, Emmarose, I hadn’t  seen this video or the new issue of Dance Europe yet. Great find! I agree about him being lovely and his kind nature too. We’ve been very lucky to have him here. That photo of him in the actual jump from the current production of Swan Lake is wonderful too- and fitting that it was his last performance.  (But if you change your mind, Fede, do let us know- we will get tickets! 😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you, Emmarose, I hadn’t  seen this video or the new issue of Dance Europe yet. Great find! I agree about him being lovely and his kind nature too. We’ve been very lucky to have him here. That photo of him in the actual jump from the current production of Swan Lake is wonderful too- and fitting that it was his last performance.  (But if you change your mind, Fede, do let us know- we will get tickets! 😊

You're very welcome, I'm glad it hadn't been previously posted, it just popped up on my Youtube account and thought I'd share it.

I agree, such a beautiful photo of Fede! In the interview he says how important the ballet of Swan Lake has been throughout his career, and now it's his final role, but yes, if he decides to come back and dance, I don't see anyone objecting!

It just shines through him, how caring he is and kind, Northern Ballet are so, so lucky to have him not just for his dance talent but who he is as a person. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, alison said:

Wow.  Four pages and counting.  Makes me wish I had gone ahead and done something similar for Ed Watson, but life rather got in the way at the time.

I should have done one but wasn’t a member of the forum yet, and couldn’t go to his actual last show as it clashed with something else, but I caught the second last show, which was also full of cheers and flowers, and very lovely.

• 1 month later...