Birmingham Royal Ballet: Carlos Acosta's new production of Don Quixote, 2022

After seeing Mizutani & Dingman doing the Act 3 pdd at the Dance For Ukraine gala I decided to book for them once the Sadler's Wells casting was announced, only to now find that they're not dancing together! Now I'm not sure who to book for...

• Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

After seeing Mizutani & Dingman doing the Act 3 pdd at the Dance For Ukraine gala I decided to book for them once the Sadler's Wells casting was announced, only to now find that they're not dancing together! Now I'm not sure who to book for...

I've just had a look at the casting and I wouldn't know how to choose.

Mathias was originally partnered with Momoko as first cast in Birmingham but Momoko had been injured for part of the tour.  They were wonderful.

Miki and Lachlan were fabulous together as were Shang and Max.

Brandon was fabulous when I saw him with Celine.  I didn't get to see Yu but friends who did thought she was fantastic.

Beatrice and Tzu Chao were, for me, the ones I thought most brought the characters to life and my jaws were aching from smiling when I came out after both their performances that I was privileged to see.

Lachlan was my favourite Espada but I thought they were all excellent.

If I was in London I'd book for all the casts (but I'm just greedy!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

With the performances taking place over just 4 days I really only want to go once, especially as it could be very hot come July & I don't deal well with hot weather. Some of the pairings I'm not interested in seeing so it's between Hirata/Dingman, Mizutani/Monaghan and Parma/Chou. It's a pity they don't give advanced casting for the title role & Sancho Panza as that might have helped me to decide. I'd be fascinated to see Laura Day as Sancho Panza, though I realise her previous performances were due to cast shortages so she might not do the role at Sadler's Wells.

27 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

With the performances taking place over just 4 days I really only want to go once, especially as it could be very hot come July & I don't deal well with hot weather. Some of the pairings I'm not interested in seeing so it's between Hirata/Dingman, Mizutani/Monaghan and Parma/Chou. It's a pity they don't give advanced casting for the title role & Sancho Panza as that might have helped me to decide. I'd be fascinated to see Laura Day as Sancho Panza, though I realise her previous performances were due to cast shortages so she might not do the role at Sadler's Wells.

Laura performed Sancho Panza in both Sunderland and Plym after the casting issues were over so you never know.  There were 3 Dons but they moved around casts - Jonathan Payn, Rory Mackay and Valentin Olovyannikov.  I only saw (over 9 performances) Gus Payne and Hamish Scott as well as Laura.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So BRB’s Don Q is finally in London. 😊Toi toi toi to the company for their London premiere of  this production tomorrow!

I had wanted to see three casts or more- especially the double show day with Shaoqian/Max/Alexander and Beatrice/Tzu-Chao on the same Thursday (perfect for cutting down on travel!)  and was gutted that it clashed with something I had agreed in advance for a friend (which is virtually impossible to move). ☹️

In the end, I’ve juggled the bookings to my second best option of 2 shows which have just about everyone I was hoping to see in the casts apart from Shaoqian, Max, Beatrice and Tsu-Chao themselves! Sigh. Fingers crossed there will be another opportunity to see the four of them later, either in Don Q or another ballet. I must admit that I too am hoping that Laura Day will be cast as Sancho P in one of our shows. The weather also looks it is going to turn very Don Q-ish - sunny and hot - by the middle of the run, so don’t forget a bottle of water if taking the Tube, folks, and maybe even - like Kitri -  your own fan. 😎

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

I’m going twice on two consecutive days which is unusual for me. 
I originally booked the first night and then a friend wanted to go who couldn’t make the Wednesday so going on Thursday too. 
Unfortunately will have to  miss Yaoqian Shang as she is dancing the Thursday matinee and would have been lovely to see her from student to dancing the main role in Don Q!! 

• Like 1

So looking forward to this.  I booked without knowing the casting and am delighted to see I've got Momoko / Matthias.  I loved his Don Q excerpt at the Ukraine gala where he moved beautifully. Also really pleased Brandon is performing.  I did a masterclass with him online at Danceworks and he was so lovely and warm.  Can't wait to see him on stage. So excited about this.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

So looking forward to this.  I booked without knowing the casting and am delighted to see I've got Momoko / Matthias.  I loved his Don Q excerpt at the Ukraine gala where he moved beautifully. Also really pleased Brandon is performing.  I did a masterclass with him online at Danceworks and he was so lovely and warm.  Can't wait to see him on stage. So excited about this.  

Tango Dancer I hope you have been listening to the series of podcasts Brandon has been doing with ToThePointe over the past couple of years?  It’s called Open Barre  and it’s wonderful!  

• Like 2

Alexander Yap, who was praised earlier in the thread as Espada, will be dancing his final performances with BRB at the Thursday Matinee and Saturday Evening shows. He leaves to join the Hong Kong Ballet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I really enjoyed that.  it was a lot of fun and very well put together. 

I thought Momoko was lovely and effervescent with a real lightness of touch and exquisite arms.  She's a real class act.  Mathias was good but I wondered if he had hurt himself because it felt like he was a bit cautious in some of the jumps in Act 3 so I wondered if he was nursing an injury as his performance at the Ukraine gala of some of the Don Q was a bit more free. Hope he's ok, I like him.  He always partners beautifully and seems to be really considerate of his partner so I always like watching him as he seems to put so much thought into each character I see him take. 

I thought Yu Kurihawa was amazing both as Mercedes and as the Queen of the Dryads.  Every move was exactly where it should be and she captured the characterisation of the different roles really well. Brandon was lovely but then he always is, I love the way he spins, it's so perfect.  

The other standout was Tzu-Chao Chou.  I don't know who he offended to have to suffer that costume which was one of the silliest I've seen in a long time.  I know Amour is supposed to be like Cupid but that gold skirt did him no favours at all. Despite this hindrance he was amazing in the spins, beautiful in motion and had some lovely clean lines.  I always enjoy watching him because he has such grace when he moves his lovely long legs.  

Tom Rogers was sweet as Don Q, I wanted to give him a hug and help him find his dream woman.  He seemed so sad and bereft some of the time.

I also loved the windmill and thought the set was lovely.  All in all a wonderful evening in my opinion.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tango Dancer said:

I really enjoyed that.  it was a lot of fun and very well put together. 

I thought Momoko was lovely and effervescent with a real lightness of touch and exquisite arms.  She's a real class act.  Mathias was good but I wondered if he had hurt himself because it felt like he was a bit cautious in some of the jumps in Act 3 so I wondered if he was nursing an injury as his performance at the Ukraine gala of some of the Don Q was a bit more free. Hope he's ok, I like him.  He always partners beautifully and seems to be really considerate of his partner so I always like watching him as he seems to put so much thought into each character I see him take. 

I thought Yu Kurihawa was amazing both as Mercedes and as the Queen of the Dryads.  Every move was exactly where it should be and she captured the characterisation of the different roles really well. Brandon was lovely but then he always is, I love the way he spins, it's so perfect.  

The other standout was Tzu-Chao Chou.  I don't know who he offended to have to suffer that costume which was one of the silliest I've seen in a long time.  I know Amour is supposed to be like Cupid but that gold skirt did him no favours at all. Despite this hindrance he was amazing in the spins, beautiful in motion and had some lovely clean lines.  I always enjoy watching him because he has such grace when he moves his lovely long legs.  

Tom Rogers was sweet as Don Q, I wanted to give him a hug and help him find his dream woman.  He seemed so sad and bereft some of the time.

I also loved the windmill and thought the set was lovely.  All in all a wonderful evening in my opinion.  

Agree with all of the above.  Momoko was wonderful; so petite and yet fills the stage with her sheer presence and charm. I was very impressed with how she changed spotting direction in her fouettés. So natural!  

• Like 3

What an opening night in London! Loved Mathias Dingman and Mimoko Hirata and in particular, what a wonderful act3.

Cupid- I wasn’t quite sure how it was going to work even after all of the reviews from earlier in the run, but it was sparkly, joyous and a little comedic and Tzu-Chao Chou was fabulous.

Without repeating everyone else’s thoughts, what a wonderful audience too - I don’t think it could have been any better and what a warm welcome we gave BRB for their London run.

• Like 4

Some lovely (and lively) dancing last night. Momoko a beautiful dancer…love to see her in Swan Lake perhaps not the fizziness of some Kitris but still

very good and loved her in the dream sequence but. All other supporting very good and did see Yaoqian dance after all as a friend of Mercedes’ and all those three were excellent. 
I have to say Brandon Lawrence lit up the stage as Espada .. such presence just makes you want to watch him!! 
A shout out for Amore another eminently watchable dancer he made that role his!! 
I do still have some qualms about the Gypsy scene going on for just a bit too long as before but overall a very enjoyable evening the Company on great form and a lovely atmosphere in the Auditorium too. 

• Like 4

It was my first time seeing Don Q live and I must say I really enjoyed it!

Momoko was truly a standout, super assured, I felt like I was in expert hands with her. Mathias was a little more reserved in his dancing but had a wonderful charisma.

I was totally bowled over by Tzu-Chao Chou’s Cupid, who won one of the biggest cheers of the night from the audience.

Despite some technical opening-night hiccups (Mercedes knocking over one of the props in her slalom, those dastardly Italian fouettés, and the Don himself being hit on the head by a descending curtain), overall it was a fun and bubbly night.

My first time getting to see this company, and definitely not my last.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, LACAD said:

I was totally bowled over by Tzu-Chao Chou’s Cupid, who won one of the biggest cheers of the night from the audience.

Agree. I had not seen a male dancer in the Amour role before and he really stole the show. Bit of luxury casting I guess as Tzu-Chao Chou is a principal. He is playing Basilio tonight. (Wish I had a ticket.) Normally I think the dream sequence is a forced bit of narrative, but I loved it all last night. The set was perfect and the dancing was joyful. 

Don Q is a great talent showcase as there are many plum parts besides the main couple. Momoko and Mathias were fantastic and so were all the other characters. Espada is one of my all-time fave 'supporting actor' parts and Brandon Lawrence is my (so far) fave BRB dancer, so it was a joy to see him shine on opening night. It must be so fun for a dancer to get to be a dashing matador. Loved his Mercedes, Yu Kurihara, as well. They get to be Basilio and Kitri on Saturday; another ticket I want to get! 

Was a treat to get to see BRB, as I don't get to very often. They have so many talented dancers taking turns with the main roles. Hope everyone in the London area gets a chance to see this show at least once while it is here. What a feel good evening 🌞

• Like 7

10 hours ago, LinMM said:

I have to say Brandon Lawrence lit up the stage as Espada .. such presence just makes you want to watch him!! 
A shout out for Amore another eminently watchable dancer he made that role his!! 

Brandon Lawrence is wonderful.  He has so much presence and charisma and the loveliest smile.  He also always looks like he really enjoys what he's doing when he's doing those fast turns and it's magnetic.  

I agree about Tzu-Chao but I always have a weakness for male dancers with long legs and strong jumps.  

• Like 4

Wow Beatrice Parma is a star…what quality dancing tonight. How these dancers do those fouettés whilst also turning on themselves beats me ….must have super plus inner ears lol! 
I liked the partnership with Tzu-Chao Chou also amazing tonight …that smile  could light up the whole of London …I thought they were very well matched together.

It was also very satisfying seeing Lucy Waine dance the Queen of the Dryads as saw her at a Yorkshire Ballet Summer School a few years back now and she stood out in class back then so lovely to see her career progressing so well…not that long since she left RBS. 
Javier Rojas made a good stab at Amour but didn’t have that slightly cheeky edge that  Tzu-Chao brought to the role yesterday. 
Well that was a grand way to see out this season …definitely not a “lack lustre”  show as somebody said ..very far from that in my view. 
Thankyou BRB for such two lovely shows and for giving it 100 per cent plus. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

Brandon Lawrence is wonderful.  He has so much presence and charisma and the loveliest smile.  He also always looks like he really enjoys what he's doing when he's doing those fast turns and it's magnetic.   

Indeed - magnetic is a great word to describe him, he really owns the stage. His portrayal of Espada is absolute perfection.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sim said:

Agree with all of the above.  Momoko was wonderful; so petite and yet fills the stage with her sheer presence and charm.

Indeed - she appears to be very delicate, yet strong as steel. I loved her beautiful pointe work in Kitri's Act 3 solo. I also thought she and Mathias had some great tangible chemistry.

• Like 2

Anyone else at yesterdays' matinee?

I was particularly impressed with Yaoqian Shang and can see why she has been promoted to Principal - she has a very sound technique and displayed a charming, happy Kitri.  

Also whilst "only" an Artist, I believe,  Sofia Liñares was an excellent Mercedes.

Laura Day had great fun as Sancho Panza and I liked the male version of Amour, well danced by Enrique Bejarano Vidal.

I wasn't too impressed with the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, who seemed a bit off on occasions to my ears, and I was also rather put out by the change to the PDD at the  beginning of Act 2, which is one of my favourite parts of the RB  Don Q.

But overall, a very enjoyable afternoon.

• Like 1

Having sneaked a peek at the full cast sheets on the BRB website, I’m both whooping with delight as well as crossing my fingers that we don’t get cast changes in certain roles for our shows. It feels like going to ROH (for ballet as well as opera). 😆😂 So many brilliant talents among their younger artists as well as seasoned principals in a range of different roles - luxury casting indeed! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Having sneaked a peek at the full cast sheets on the BRB website, I’m both whooping with delight as well as crossing my fingers that we don’t get cast changes in certain roles for our shows.

Are you going tomorrow? My finger crossings for no cast changes for tomrrow's matinee are for Lachlan Monaghan, Jonathan Payn & Laura Day. Everyone else I'm not so worried about.