Birmingham Royal Ballet: Carlos Acosta's new production of Don Quixote, 2022

On 23/02/2022 at 21:43, Jan McNulty said:

Brandon and Celine are due to do this Saturday evening in Birmingham.  I loved their performance on Saturday afternoon last week.

It doesn't look as though they are scheduled for the rest of the tour (although SW casting hasn't been announced yet).  I know there have been some casting issues due to Covid but it looks as though Miki/Lachlan, Qian/Max and Momoko/Mathias have been picking up extra performances on the tour.

Brandon is going to Capetown next week to guest with Capetown City Ballet in Maina Gielgud’s Giselle.  He will be away for six weeks. 

• Like 2

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Sim said:

Brandi  SSC going to Capetown next week to guest with Capetown City Ballet in Maina Gielgud’s Giselle.  He will be away for six weeks. 

18 March @ 19h30 (Fri): With International UK Guest Artist, Brandon Lawrence & Leane Theunissen with the CTPO 

26 March @ 19h30 (Sat)

2 April @ 15h00 (Sat): 

9 April @ 19h30 (Sat): 

The "Guest " Basilio is also participating.

Maina Gielgud`s GISELLE - Computicket (scroll down for casting)

Edited by oncnp

On 24/02/2022 at 15:38, Tony Newcombe said:

That was the cost of the production

I see, I understand that makes more sense. Thank you for correcting me. 

23 hours ago, alison said:

Welcome to the forum, YSmith.  I have to say, I totally agree with you - he was the standout for me when I saw it at Southampton.  I think he's been in the company a while, though.

Thank you very much! Excited to be here. So I’ve seen! I wonder why they have not moved him up higher yet seeing as he’s done splendidly and seems to be doing many soloist/principal roles. 

21 hours ago, MaddieRose said:

He's also done Paris in MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet. I saw him in the role last October and he had such a brilliant stage presence. I'm glad he's doing so well in Don Quixote, and hopefully this leads to more opportunities for him. 

Am I correct in saying he has also done Benvolio in R&J? Gutted to have missed that! Interested to see where he goes. 

Last night’s BRB Don Quixote (Hirata/Dingman/Lawrence/Kurihara) was being filmed for future broadcast. I chatted to one of the cameramen who, it turns out, regularly films these kind of productions (ROH, NT etc). He couldn’t confirm where or when it might appear. It could be streamed directly by BRB or broadcast by SkyArts or the BBC.
it was a delightfully sunny and joyous performance, improved and finessed immeasurably in so many subtle ways since I saw it in Southampton. 

• Like 4

I saw both performances on Thursday and absolutely floated home.  The friends I was with were similarly enthralled.

I know it was long in the planning and delayed due to the pandemic but this production has come at just the right time to lift the spirits in these very dark days and I would highly recommend it to everyone.  OK the story is very stretched out over 3 acts (as in all the "based on Petipa" Don Q productions I have seen) but who cares when there is such joy spilling out across the footlights!

The thing I noticed but hadn't taken on board properly before Thursday was the demons' long wavy arms match the projected hands on the windmill that the Don tilts at - a very clever touch.

Again, all the performers on stage were fully invested in their roles (always a feature of BRB performances) and they certainly added to the fun!

In the afternoon we were treated to Miki Mizutani and Lachlan Monaghan in the leading roles and they were just joyous together and suit the characters of Kitri and Basilio to a tee.  I know I go on a bit (usually in respect of fouettés!) about a few seconds not making a whole ballet but those one handed lifts in act 1 were ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!!!  

Of the other roles I particularly enjoyed them all!  I thought Haoliang Feng brought a snooty gravitas to Espada.  Yijing was a very serene Queen of the Dryads.  Valentin Olovyannikov was very touching as the Don.  Javier Rojas made a very good fist of Amore too.

In the evening I was particularly thrilled to see Beatrice Parma and Tzu Chao Chou in the leading roles (Tau Chao having been unable to perform on Saturday evening).  They were both totally subsumed into their roles and gave us a very vivid but believable characterisation.  Beatrice is the feistiest of the BRB Kitris I have seen so far and the way she uses her eyes is a joy to watch.  

Rory Mackay was another touching Don, Eilis Small was a very sultry Mercedes and Valentin Olovyannikov was superbly hilarious as Gamache.  BRB is so lucky to have him as a brilliant, quirky character artist.

In his penultimate performance with the company, Yasuo Atsuo danced the role of Espada with gusto, obvious enjoyment and panache.  He will be sorely missed by BRB audiences.

I must mention the sterling performances of Rachele Pizzillo as one of Kitri's friends.  She has danced the role delightfully in all 4 of the performances I have seen.  Karla Doorbar and Rosanna Ely have both been lovely as the other friends.

I may have doubts about his mixed programmes but Carlos Acosta has really captured the sunshine in this gloriously joyous production and for that I will be eternally grateful!  If you think I have overused the word joy in these meanderings believe me I haven't!  Do give yourselves nearly 3 hours of JOY by going to see it if you can!!

IMG_7255.thumb.jpeg.fcbb5d341c1bc13c8dbeacfb26a8a82f.jpeg

IMG_7256.thumb.jpeg.a444f6534427355a29306674552a5dab.jpeg

• Like 9

Just seen on Twitter from BRB: 

We regret that all Wednesday and Thursday performances of Don Quixote have been cancelled.
@The_Lowry's ticketing team will contact you via email regarding exchanges/refunds and we apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause.
The rising number of COVID-19 cases among the dancers makes it impossible for us to stage this demanding show.

My email about the cancellations is timed at 17:12.  They are offering a swap or a credit note.  As I had all the performances booked a swap won't work.

To make matters even worse, worried about the panic buying of petrol I decided to limit my back and forths to The Lowry and am booked into a hotel on Thursday and Friday night!  To get the cheapest rate I prepaid...

I know these things happen but this is VERY SHORT NOTICE.  Absolutely not a happy bunny.

8 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

My email about the cancellations is timed at 17:12.  They are offering a swap or a credit note.  As I had all the performances booked a swap won't work.

To make matters even worse, worried about the panic buying of petrol I decided to limit my back and forths to The Lowry and am booked into a hotel on Thursday and Friday night!  To get the cheapest rate I prepaid...

I know these things happen but this is VERY SHORT NOTICE.  Absolutely not a happy bunny.

I'm so sorry Jan!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Fingers crossed I am getting a refund from the hotel and for the three cancelled performances from The Lowry.

• Like 4

Guest oncnp

I'm happy about the refund but would have liked a donate-to-the- BRB option. 'Guess I'm out the rail ticket though.

On 26/02/2022 at 10:40, capybara said:

The public booking for Don Q at Sadlers Wells in July opens this coming week. I’ve already booked as a SW Member and the ticket prices are very enticing.

(I’ve responded on the Terrestrial TV thread about the great news re filming.)

I'm wary of booking performances in London (not because of it being London).

I've got a weekend booked in May and I cannot book return train fares home!!  What a nightmare!!

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm wary of booking performances in London (not because of it being London).

I've got a weekend booked in May and I cannot book return train fares home!!  What a nightmare!!

This keeps happening to me too Janet - but from Leeds and Edinburgh too. Requires rather a lot of headspace to keep track of what is booked and what can't yet be booked. 

Bizarrely, for two of my forthcoming trips to Edinburgh, LNER don't seem to be running trains south after 6pm and I've had to book the Transpennine Express despite living on the East Coast Mainline.

If it's helpful, some train operating companies have pages - often well concealed! - that tell you how far out timetables are confirmed and/or you can book tickets. A few are:

• Thanks 3

I was very interested to see this on Twitter earlier. I've heard of & seen roles being gender-swapped in plays & musicals when companies have run short of cast members but it's the first time I've heard of it for a ballet. (There's a photo of Laura Day in costume if you click on the "Read the full converstaion on Twitter" link.)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I was very interested to see this on Twitter earlier. I've heard of & seen roles being gender-swapped in plays & musicals when companies have run short of cast members but it's the first time I've heard of it for a ballet. (There's a photo of Laura Day in costume if you click on the "Read the full converstaion on Twitter" link.)

How fabulous !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

How fabulous !

It came out of necessity and she was quite wonderful in the role this afternoon. She is due to repeat it this evening. There were quite a few obvious gaps on stage this afternoon but it didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the audience. Another standing ovation. Maslen and Shang very good in the leading roles

• Like 8

I went to the Friday performance of Don Quixote at the Lowry (Miki Mizutani and Mathais Dingman leading), which I guess turned out to be 'opening night' at the Lowry - unfortunately. Feeling sorry for those whose who had tickets for Wed and Thu. 

To me this felt like a finally a proper return to the ballet world/life I used to know before the pandemic. Although I've been to see a couple of live performances last year, in Birmingham, the Lowry is my 'home theatre', and I have so many fond memories of BRB being here year-on-year. I very much appreciate @Terpsichore's tweet this week about BRB's traditional visit to The Lowry heralding the end of winter, that's exactly what I feel. I missed them badly last year. 

And what a return it was. For me, BRB last night delivered a performance so symbolically perfect, and of the most splendid, spectacular quality. The joyful nature of the ballet Janet mentions above ('3 hours of joy', exactly!) is so apt for BRB's return to full touring, and so apt in reminding us of the beauty of the world - when recent and ongoing world events might make us forget that, or doubt it. This joy, combined with the absolute virtuosity of the dancing, the splendour of the production, and the captivating music, created a magical, transporting evening in the theatre. That indefinable rapture which makes me keep coming again and again to see ballet. 

This is first time I have seen Don Quixote, (I've not even seen recordings), and the impact of this masterpiece was probably helped by the fact it was completely fresh to me. I did a bit of internet research to see that Russian/European touring companies have brought it to Manchester/Liverpool in the past two decades (the Kirov, no less, danced it at the Lowry some ten years ago). I am grateful that Acosta has brought it into BRB's repertoire, it's an absolutely amazing ballet, that I'd go to see again and again.

I don't think you'd find better quality of dancing anywhere else. The clarity, mastery, virtuosity, delivered with personality, character and spontaneity, particularly from Mizutani and Dingman simply blew me away. These two dancers I've begun to notice as they've risen in the company, and from last night's performances they now seem to me to shine like the brightest stars. Mizutani's characterisation as Kitri was so vivid, extrovert and flamboyant I barely recognised her, having seen her in more contained roles previously.  Her poise and technique in the virtuoso sequences was breathtaking, she was absolutely convincing. Her final manege in the Dulcinea variation (two circuits I believe?) so thrilling, as were the flawless fouettes in the wedding coda. Dingman similarly convinced as Basilio with pure flair and expressiveness. The white and gold wedding pas de deux combined nobility and grandeur with such energy and playfulness - it was absolutely sensational, it amazed me. Apart from the leads dancing, all the other scenes of the ballet offered incomparable riches of sensation and spectacle and brilliant individual and ensemble performances. I found the magical garden and dryads particularly beautiful and affecting.

A shame that wretched virus is still with us and threatening/limiting performances, but hopefully the tide has turned. To have one of the best companies in the world, back at the Lowry with such a stunning masterpiece, makes me feel quite emotional and does indeed give me hope.  Great to see you too again face to face Janet in the foyer. Thanks for all the thoughts/reviews so far on the forum and look forward to reading others in the next weeks. 

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

It came out of necessity and she was quite wonderful in the role this afternoon. She is due to repeat it this evening.

She was great in the evening show as well. Technically I suppose it's not her first cross-dressed role as if I recollect correctly the role of Peter in Ruth Brill's excellent Peter and the Wolf was made on her!

• Like 2

I had a lovely afternoon and evening in the company of BRB and Don Quixote!  This new Acosta version is lovely.  I still think the ROH has the edge but for the smaller scale this is perfect.  the set and costumes are beautiful especially the gorgeous understated Dream Scene that was a stoke of genius how the silver leaves reflect whatever colour lighting is projected on them so we had hues of pink or green or gold etc...I wanted the Dream Scene to go on forever!

Some very clever special effects with the windmill as others a=have said.  I really liked Max Maslen as Basil (he has a look of  a young Christopher Plummer about him) and Yaoqin Shang was a lovely Kitri.  Rory Mackay was brilliant as the foppish Gamache and Payne and Day as the Don and Sancho were great.  At the matinee I felt that the music was lacking oomph which let the dancing down but then after seeing the evening show I think it may be to do with where I was sitting - Circle F the music was far more muted than my evening seat Circle row A where the music felt much it had much more volume and oomph.  At the matinee the lady next to me said thought the same as she had experienced this phenomenon before at The Lowry.  Not much wood in that auditorium so perhaps not the best for orchestras? 

The evening show was even better, with Momoko Hirata as Kitri she was really great I liked her a lot and Matthias Dingman was a good Basil.  Now I would like to see Maslen with Hirata!  Maslen reminded me a bit of Vasiliev's performances although not *quite* as showy!  Pleased say the Dryad Queens all got the Italian Fouettes done fine too, unlike the first run at ROH where few managed them!  It looks like the cast sheets I downloaded were wrong as Espada was Lachlan Monagan in both shows, and I really enjoyed his performances.  

Anyway I had a good time and it was nice to say hi to JMcN as well.  Some curtain call photos:-

Matinee

FNKWE0hXIAM4u_i?format=jpg&name=360x360

FNKWE0nWUAAhMvA?format=jpg&name=360x360

FNKWE3tWUAEBoCp?format=jpg&name=360x360

FNKWTdUWQAE3v04?format=jpg&name=360x360

FNKWTcXWQAAs1Yh?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 8

20 hours ago, northstar said:

I very much appreciate @Terpsichore's tweet this week about BRB's traditional visit to The Lowry heralding the end of winter, that's exactly what I feel. I missed them badly last year. 

I have long regarded the Birmingham Royal Ballet's season at The Lowry as a harbinger of Spring.  It is not always true.  One year the company's visit coincided with the Beast from the East.  I had tickets for Cinderella and  never did make it to the theatre because the M62 was blocked and the railways were up the creek.  By contrast March was unseasonably warm the next year.

My friend and I had intended to see the show on Wednesday night but it was cancelled for the reasons already discussed.  We would have had very good seats in the centre stalls had the show taken place.   Our tickets for Friday were close to the stage but right at the end of the row so my friend missed such details as the sails of the windmill morphing into claws in act II and some of the table dancing in the last act..   

We still had a great time.   In fact I think it was the best show that I have ever seen in Greater Manchester and as I was born and worked there for most of my life I have seen a lot   I have also followed the Birmingham Royal Ballet and its predecessor  company for many years and I don;t think I have ever seen that company dance better.   Pressure of work kept me from the theatre yesterday otherwise I would have seen it again.   We have already booked to see it in London,

It is nice to be able to see land review regularly live performances again.   I started with Acosta Danza last week and am looking forward to seeing "Casanova" again.  I am also looking forward to returning to Amsterdam for Rachel Beaujean's "Raymonda".  

• Like 5

I was very lucky to catch the three performances at The Lowry this weekend.  

More so on Friday the stage looked a little sparsely populated  in the crowd scenes but those members of the company able to perform threw themselves into all 3 performances with gusto.  In fact if you didn't know the company had difficulties in putting the shows on you would never have known anything was amiss.

It looked to me as though the gentlemen of the company have been harder hit by the ongoing issues of covid and injury.

On Friday night Mathias Dingman partnered Miki Mizutani as Basilio while Lachlan Monaghan performed Espada.  Mathias has now performed Basilio with 3 different Kitri's.  With his American/Vaganova training he is just made for the role of Basilio and he and Miki were delightful together.

Lachlan brought more to the role of Espada at every performance - he was so full of himself and so full of machismo that he filled the stage with his presence.  His partnership with Eilis Small as Mercedes sizzled so much the stage almost spontaneously combusted!  Emma Price and Sofia Liñares were also effective as Mercedes.

In all 3 performances Jonathan Payn was the Don, Valentin Olovyannikov was Lorenzo and Rory Mackay was Gamache.

Most remarkably, newly created principal character artist Laura Day performed Sancho Panza at all 3 performances and very wonderful she was too!  If I hadn't read the cast sheet I never would have realised it wasn't a man dancing the role.  I saw Laura in The Lowry cafe on Saturday and she said it had been a very late decision to cast her due to the issues facing the company in putting on the performances at all.  However it came about it was an inspired piece of casting.

On Saturday afternoon we were privileged to see Yaoqian Shang and Max Maslen make their debuts as Kitri and Basilio.  It was a sublime performance full of flirtation and fire and both dancers gave a vivid, utterly believable account of their characters.

Finally on Saturday evening I got to see Momoko Hirata as Kitri with (of course) Mathias as Basilio.  I expected fireworks and was not disappointed!  It was a cracking performance to end the weekend.  It was almost as though there was an end of term, "thank goodness we've done it" feel on Saturday night and the whole company just went for it!!  There was much cheering behind the curtains as we were filing out.

The company got well-deserved standing ovations at all 3 performances.

BRAVO BRB!!

• Like 14

53 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Did Shang not perform in Birmingham Janet? She was scheduled to and is listed in the cast lists. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing her in Sunderland, Covid permitting.

On IG Max put that it was their debuts.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

Did Shang not perform in Birmingham Janet? She was scheduled to and is listed in the cast lists. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing her in Sunderland, Covid permitting.

There were quite a few cast changes in Birmingham as COVID began to take hold …..

• Thanks 1

Sounds like BRB is having that “Covid musical chairs” that Royal Ballet and ENB had during their long Nutcracker seasons in December and early January. Hope everyone affected can make a speedy and complete recovery.

I’m looking forward to seeing this Don Quixote at Sadler’s Wells. Very impressed by the idea of Laura Day’s versatile turn as Sancho Panza....it is quite a physical role in all productions (in the RB version, SP lifts one dancer as she jumps, and of course the bit when the men toss SP into the air) so well done to Laura for taking it on! Having seen various versions and read about some more....I think that’s a worldwide first- a woman portraying SP? A bit of history making if so!

And congratulations to Laura on her promotion to Principal Character Artist! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SheilaC said:

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

On IG Max put that it was their debuts.

Hello Sheila I stand corrected.

From Yasuo's IG today (with film of his final performance) it looks as though Shang danced with Brandon in Birmingham.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CazKP7XAt9n/

• Like 1