ENB Raymonda Opening Delayed - Shorter Run - 18th to 23rd January

Frustratingly, the Coli did not make tickets for the 18th and 19th available online at 12 noon, as notified.

However, all's well now and and I have successfully used my credit voucher to buy another ticket. However, I don't quite understand how so many tickets were purchased in the last hour.

The rather annoying thing is that I had good reduced price tickets for both days but those were cancelled - although not yet refunded by the fromtheboxoffice booking agency.

Capybara, you have put you finger on a booking problem at the Coliseum.  When you google the Coliseum box office, booking agencies come up, masquerading as the official box office and (as I understand it) acting for the box office on an agency basis.  Now I go through the ENB website, to make sure I find the Coliseum box office itself.

A friend of mine wanted to see a particular cast in The Nutcracker, but booked the evening instead of the matinee.  His mistake!  When he tried to swap tickets, the Coliseum Box office were attentive, but unable to help, as the tickets had not been booked through them.  The ticket agency were unhelpful - and he ended up purchasing a second set of tickets and wasting the evening tickets.

I’ve just chanced the rail height thing and gone with  Row A on the 18th. A friend coming with me is much smaller so thought lesser leg room but nobody’s head in the way and chance the rail!! 
Yes I ALWAYS go through the ENB first which directs you to the theatre box office of wherever you are booking. 
I just go with the generous 20 per cent Friends reduction price though there are probably cheaper deals you can get. I’m a bit distrustful of any agencies. 
Though practically had knickers in a twist when booking the current Van Gogh Experience as was with Fever ( who I’d never heard of) and tickets stored on their App😳😳
As it happens they’ve been really good and answered a couple of emails I sent them within 24 hours and very helpful. 
But as a general rule don’t use ticket Agencies. 
Anyway very pleased now got Raymonda booked and now at the Premiere so a bit of a bonus as so long in coming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

Looking at the casting, I notice that Jeffrey Cirio will no longer be dancing John de Bryon now the run has been shortened.

Yes, very sad for all. Kotchetkova, who rehearsed with Hernandez and Cirio in the early stages according to pics, is no longer dancing the Raymonda role. Cirio has done both the secondary role and lead role in other ballets as well ... Manon, Wheeldon's Cinderella, and Le Corsaire, from what I can remember. Because I am not traveling much right now and because things are so confusing with this new wave, I have not gotten to London to see anything. I really wanted to see Creature and Raymonda. I am glad I have tickets for Creature in Chicago, despite the reviews. Now, just praying it goes forward. Over here in the US, we finally had the chance to go back to the theatre with Nutcracker. But they started canceling shows left and right. I got to see Boston Ballet twice, and they finished their run. I did not get to see NYCB, as the shows near the end of the run were canceled. As I said, this is all very sad for the ballet business. 

• Like 4

I wonder how, when a run has to be shortened, an AD decides which dancers still get to perform & which don't? Rojo evidently hasn't done it based purely on dancer rank, as Kotchetkova & Cirio have lost their performances whereas Hawes & Arrieta have kept one of theirs. I imagine there must be some difficult conversations, having to tell dancers that they're no longer getting to do a role which they may have already put in rehearsal time for.

3 hours ago, prs59 said:

Looking at the casting, I notice that Jeffrey Cirio will no longer be dancing John de Bryon now the run has been shortened.

In the traditional version the Saracen Knight is a far more interesting, even exciting, role than Jean de Brienne; so maybe Cirio still wins.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

In the traditional version the Saracen Knight is a far more interesting, even exciting, role than Jean de Brienne; so maybe Cirio still wins.

I quite agree Sheila!  My first viewing of Raymonda was at the Palace Theatre in 1986 when the Bolshoi toured not only to London but a couple of other places.  I thought then (and still do) that I could not understand why Raymonda did not just run off with the Saracen Knight!  I found him a much more interesting character than Jean de Brienne whom I have always found bland!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Can anybody tell me if in the Upper Circle at the Coli whether there would be a high rail obstructing view a bit from row A? 

No rail at all- only slightly limited leg room compared to other upper circle seats if you are very tall or very long legged. I’m moderately tall but never had any problem with comfort or space in all those seats. Rows A& B are wonderful in the UC- good choice!  

• Like 2

Oh Thankyou very much for that info Emeralds!!  
Im quite tall but will be okay as can have the end seat so can stick one leg out ( it’s on my not so good leg side as it happens lol) 

My friend has had problems with heads in the past so at least that won’t happen! 
And now the icing on the cake no rail to dodge! 
The ENB are very generous as they allow friends to buy up to SIX tickets at the 20 per cent discount. So think these seats are a bargain anyway ( well compared to ROH) 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2022 at 13:09, LinMM said:

Can anybody tell me if in the Upper Circle at the Coli whether there would be a high rail obstructing view a bit from row A? 

No. I always sit in the UC and there is no rail at all.  Great view be warned no leg/knee room it's tight if you are tall.

• Like 2

Or even if you aren't particularly :(  I pretty much only ever sit there if it's an aisle seat or I can be guaranteed an empty seat next to me for my legs to extend into.  It never used to be that way before the revamp.

Art enthusiast .....It’s either or not both....I just received the email this morning. 
I also emailed them about the cloakrooms and whether open or not and they are which is great...I got a response within 15 mins!! 

8 hours ago, oncnp said:

*Proof of Covid status accepted via any of the following:

• Proof of double / triple vaccination via the NHS App.
  • Proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test taken within the last 24 hours. This will be accepted via the NHS App, or via an official NHS email / text.
  • Proof of a negative PCR test taken within the last 24 hours. This will be accepted via the NHS App, or via an official NHS email / text.
  • Proof of natural immunity via the NHS App.
  • A dated and completed vaccine record card showing evidence of double / triple vaccination alongside ID.

I presume that last one is the card we are given right after we've been vaccinated?

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2022 at 14:57, LinMM said:

Art enthusiast .....It’s either or not both....I just received the email this morning. 
I also emailed them about the cloakrooms and whether open or not and they are which is great...I got a response within 15 mins!! 

Thank you :) Also was wondering (as I haven't been to the Coliseum in a while) - do they ask for identification, to match your name to the one on your ticket? Because my sister and I have tickets for different dates (20th and 18th respectively), but we're looking to swap due to scheduling issues. Hopefully that wouldn't be an issue?

Edited by art_enthusiast

59 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Thank you :) Also was wondering (as I haven't been to the Coliseum in a while) - do they ask for identification, to match your name to the one on your ticket? Because my sister and I have tickets for different dates (20th and 18th respectively), but we're looking to swap due to scheduling issues. Hopefully that wouldn't be an issue?

They don't check ID, just that you have a ticket for that particular performance!  Covid checks are done before you enter the theatre, then ticket checks, then bag checks - all very speedy.

• Like 2

I went to the dress rehearsal on Saturday evening.

I won’t comment on the rehearsal as we usually do not … suffice to say there is lots and lots of super dancing and the music is glorious.  Hopefully that’s not breaking the rules!   

COVID checks outside the entrance, then ticket and bag checks.   Coat rooms are open.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Some friends went to the dress rehearsal and said it might be best to read the synopsis first as won’t always know what’s going on otherwise!! 
But otherwise enjoyed it! 

I begin to wonder about the increasing use of dramaturgs in ballet - they rarely seem to make the story any clearer!

• Like 3

On 16/01/2022 at 18:07, art_enthusiast said:

They didn’t ask us for ID, as long as you have the e-tickets on your phone screen (or if you prefer printouts, the paper printout in your hand). Covid pass or lateral flow results were also what you had on your phone. The queues were quite long and they didn’t ask me to show ID to prove that each result or pass belonged to the correct family member! I suppose back in the old days when we used printed tickets issued by the box office, they didn’t need ID either. 

I didn’t read the programme or synopsis in advance, on purpose.  I like to get my first impressions from the actual performance and then follow up afterwards.  

It was clear to me that the story is a triangle, as is the original. 

• Like 1

Even with the shorter run there are large numbers of unsold seats for most of the performances - strangely enough mainly at the cheaper prices which I don't really understand. Must be a financial concern for ENB (but maybe they didn't budget for strong sales - I don't know.)