White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

3 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

I really have no idea if it’s good or bad, but I’m glad your dd reported the same! I presume the physios just check what they’re told, and report back, and they wouldn’t be the ones making the final decisions. I can’t get any more out of her, as she keeps getting cross with me. I don’t want to overanalyse! 

they do get cross don’t they! I got a lot out of my DD about the audition but when it came to the physio she didn’t have much to say she says they checked her toe, her pinky finger??? But no one ‘gently handled her’ as mentioned in the letter although it did say ‘May’ maybe because of Covid they are limiting as much as possible and only checking areas of concern? If so I think fingers and toes were priority in ours as that’s what she mentioned! I’ve no idea how much they can tell about the body from watching them dance. I will no doubt start over analysing! 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Weloveballet said:

they do get cross don’t they! I got a lot out of my DD about the audition but when it came to the physio she didn’t have much to say she says they checked her toe, her pinky finger??? But no one ‘gently handled her’ as mentioned in the letter although it did say ‘May’ maybe because of Covid they are limiting as much as possible and only checking areas of concern? If so I think fingers and toes were priority in ours as that’s what she mentioned! I’ve no idea how much they can tell about the body from watching them dance. I will no doubt start over analysing! 

Pinky and toes is all in the hypermobility check. If they have hyper extended elbows/ knees. If they can bend their thumb to reach their wrist etc. These are standard checks at all ballet school auditions. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Weloveballet said:

Yes my dd mentioned being asked things like if she could bend her fingers back, which I presume links to hyper mobility? (which I don’t think she has?!). Good point about limited contact re: Covid. I’m going to forget about it now anyway, I trust they know what they’re doing!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PetitJeté said:

Yes my dd mentioned being asked things like if she could bend her fingers back, which I presume links to hyper mobility? (which I don’t think she has?!). Good point about limited contact re: Covid. I’m going to forget about it now anyway, I trust they know what they’re doing!!

It’s not a negative to be hyper mobile, in fact it’s quite favourable but they need to be aware as loose ligaments can be prone to injury . 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Pinky and toes is all in the hypermobility check. If they have hyper extended elbows/ knees. If they can bend their thumb to reach their wrist etc. These are standard checks at all ballet school auditions. 

ahh ok. Thanks for the info. I’m a total newbie to the ballet world. So I’ve no idea! 

10 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

yes I think limiting contact might have a lot to answer for! Especially as it’s quite close contact. I know they didn’t want to put their front numbers on only their back ones but my daughter had put hers on wonky and required some help 🙈

• Like 1

Oooh this is a really good subject - my DS is super flexible and has hypermobility I was not sure if this is good or bad 🤷‍♀️😬

he had scans on his legs to see his hip joints  - but this is his version of events and at 10 years old not sure what to believe 🤣

9 minutes ago, BbcBoy said:

Oooh this is a really good subject - my DS is super flexible and has hypermobility I was not sure if this is good or bad 🤷‍♀️😬

he had scans on his legs to see his hip joints  - but this is his version of events and at 10 years old not sure what to believe 🤣

🤣🤣 I’m not sure about scans but they definitely used a little contraption around the boys shin/ calf whilst testing for hip rotation/ mobility. I’m assuming it’s to measure the angles 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The red shoes said:

🤣🤣 I’m not sure about scans but they definitely used a little contraption around the boys shin/ calf whilst testing for hip rotation/ mobility. I’m assuming it’s to measure the angles 🤷🏼‍♀️

My DD had this contraption, which I’ve never heard of before. I’ve tried to Google it online and can’t find any reference to it anywhere. 🤷🏻‍♀️ No idea if it’s a good or a bad thing, but DD does have hyper mobility and so maybe was to check this? Could have been turn out? She was told it was to check “degrees”, but not sure degrees of what?? 🤔x

Haha, this bugged me too. When DS told me I put my Google detective hat on 🧐😅 and I think, going by how DS described it and the way they manoeuvred his leg apparently, it might be a digital goniometer - there’s a compact one called Halo used by physiotherapists but DS said it wasn’t that one. It’ll be to check rotation in the hip socket, they’ll be able to tell if a child has natural turnout or forced (more from the knees) and how much range there is (apparently). 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Ha, after DS told me I put my Google detective hat on 🧐😅 and I think, going by how DS described it and the way they manoeuvred his leg apparently, it might be a digital goniometer - there’s a compact one called Halo used by physiotherapists but DS said it wasn’t that one. It’ll be to check rotation in the hip socket, they’ll be able to tell if a child has natural turnout or forced (more from the knees) and how much range there is (apparently). 

Starting to think 80% of their decision will be based on the physio check 🥺

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

Starting to think 80% of their decision will be based on the physio check 🥺

I hope not! ☹️ DS doesn’t have flat turnout and I’m not sure he’ll ever achieve fully flat (he’s flexible but not at all hypermobile according to the weird tests I’ve seen online: elbows, toes, thumb etc). 

I hope we can get some sort of feedback. I’m sure I’ve read that teachers can ask but parents can’t - will ask ours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I hope not! ☹️ DS doesn’t have flat turnout and I’m not sure he’ll ever achieve fully flat (he’s flexible but not at all hypermobile according to the weird tests I’ve seen online: elbows, toes, thumb etc). 

I hope we can get some sort of feedback. I’m sure I’ve read that teachers can ask but parents can’t - will ask ours.

I’m not sure if hypermobility is agood or bad thing for them. It obviously means flexibility but also that some joints might be more prone to injury so who knows what they’re looking for? They might like it in some places and not others 🤣

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

From pals that have been through this process last year, they wont give any feedback at all x

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Tea said:

From pals that have been through this process last year, they wont give any feedback at all x

The two times my son did finals, his dance teacher emailed for feedback and it was given without issue by Mark Annear.

Of the other students and friends my son knows who have asked for feedback it has always been given without any problem by RBS.

I would always ask for feedback, this for me is about gently nudging vocational training schools to be more transparent and I believe that asking and receiving feedback is part of that process.

We as a part of the audition pathway always ask for feedback. I would then raise questions when it is not given.

Hopefully the more parents and teachers that ask, the more feedback becomes as standard.

Edited by Motomum
Grammar
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Do we get feedback if they are a JA...? Thing is if the physio flags a problem I would rather know x 

Absolutely this! I think if the physio found something that meant my DS was unsuitable for classical ballet training vocationally then it would be beneficial to know so that I could talk to him about perhaps turning his focus to the other styles he enjoys, and not setting his heart on ballet. 

• Like 5

They definitely give feedback to teachers. The feedback I received for one of my students just reiterated what I thought, there is very little in it by the time they get to finals. I think that’s why they don’t give feedback to parents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Motomum said:

The two times my son did finals, his dance teacher emailed for feedback and it was given without issue by Mark Annear.

Of the other students and friends my son knows who have asked for feedback it has always been given without any problem by RBS.

I would always ask for feedback, this for me is about gently nudging vocational training schools to be more transparent and I believe that asking and receiving feedback is part of that process.

We as a part of the audition pathway always ask for feedback. I would then raise questions when it is not given.

Hopefully the more parents and teachers that ask, the more feedback becomes as standard.

That’s brilliant you did. I have to say you are the first person I know to have got it. Friends have asked in the past only to be met with we don’t give it. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tea said:

That’s brilliant you did. I have to say you are the first person I know to have got it. Friends have asked in the past only to be met with we don’t give it. 

RBS ask that it goes through their dance teacher.

We also got feedback through sons JA teacher at the time.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Looks like we will still be waiting a long time as one of the boys who couldn’t make finals still hadn’t heard how they plan to view him.... think this is going to be very long and drawn out. They have to see the international students on zoom too 

They did say on the finals information email that we would hear within 2 weeks though... 

2 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

yes but I suppose that wasn’t taking into account any who couldn’t  make it 

It would have been taking that into account because it was sent after everyone had accepted or not. It was on the email with the dates and times of the audition so they knew who was going and who wasn’t. Maybe they will decide and then save some spaces for international and zoom candidates. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Does anyone know, do they send out results for boys and girls at the same time? Obviously the boys were seen a week earlier, so I guess they might hear first. I also wonder if they’ll keep some places back for those they need to see on Zoom, rather than make everyone wait. I don’t think I can cope with much more waiting!! Mind you, the emails about the summer intensive came through earlier than expected. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird22 said:

They definitely give feedback to teachers. The feedback I received for one of my students just reiterated what I thought, there is very little in it by the time they get to finals. I think that’s why they don’t give feedback to parents. 

Are teachers able to view the full report from the physio? 

1 hour ago, The red shoes said:

Looks like we will still be waiting a long time as one of the boys who couldn’t make finals still hadn’t heard how they plan to view him.... think this is going to be very long and drawn out. They have to see the international students on zoom too 

My ds said that at finals the AD said maximum 2 weeks to the boys?

3 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

My ds said that at finals the AD said maximum 2 weeks to the boys?

Yes my ds said the same.. just don’t know how they can when not seen others or the ds who couldn’t make it ... I really hope we hear this week so I can move on !! Lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Yes my ds said the same.. just don’t know how they can when not seen others or the ds who couldn’t make it ... I really hope we hear this week so I can move on !! Lol 

My ds said the same too. I really think it’s a no with the physio not using the thing on this leg to check turnout etc. I’d like to move on now xx