White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

17 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

Do you think we could hear about MAs before Easter? Will they need to know who accepts for the school first before offering MAs do you think? Xx

I guess most people would wait to weigh up their options once all results are out (from other schools) so I can’t imagine they’ll push for immediate responses from the lucky ones who get a yes. So yes, still a long wait to go, I imagine.

I don’t have much hope for a WL yes for DS but really really keeping fingers tightly crossed for an MA place (but we are prepared for a no on that too). 

We are planning on trying for Central too. Will take new photos and apply once this result is out. 

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I've just read all of your replies and am now certain my ds will get a no. 

I don't have a clue whether his turnout is good or his hamstrings are tight etc. He does his 3 lessons a week, does a few stretches most days, can't get into any splits, but is a lot closer to it since starting with a different dance school last March (and doing more lessons with his teacher). I honestly feel completely clueless. He only originally did the video for an MA space but his teacher said about ticking the box for the school and sending one to Elmhurst too. In his head he would love to dance every day and be with other boys (and girls) of his age who also love ballet. But he won't be too upset if he doesn't get a place as he never thought he would even get an audition. 

I've not seen him dance officially since before he joined his new dance school, so don't really know what he's like. Obviously I watched his audition videos snd he's definitely improved a lot since the last time we were allowed to have a viewing week, but I don't know what I'm looking for, so just don't have a clue!!!

Your boys all sound so amazing, confident and so good at ballet. I don't know how they will choose only 14 of them!

I've not asked about the audition since Friday evening. He spouted out loads on the way home. Mentioned one of 2 bits over the weekend that I hadn't heard first time, when he was telling my Mum what it was like. He's still grinning every now and then and when I ask why he says he is just thinking about the school! He had his private lesson on zoom last night and came out of the lounge after buzzing - his teacher obviously knows what he's talking about, so they had a little catch up and talked technical stuff!

I'm just hoping we don't have to wait the full 2 weeks. This is worse than waiting for my exam results last year!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

Good morning everyone, 

Looking at last year dates, it seems like the boys got the results 5 days after the audition, so this would be tomorrow. Does anyone know more about dates for boys who could not attend in person or people abroad? 

I actually really would prefer not to get results tomorrow (as it is ds birthday and right before Elmhurst, lol).

The year before was 7 days, if I remember correctly (I trawled the threads to see how long we’d be likely to wait too 🙈

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I guess most people would wait to weigh up their options once all results are out (from other schools) so I can’t imagine they’ll push for immediate responses from the lucky ones who get a yes. So yes, still a long wait to go, I imagine.

I don’t have much hope for a WL yes for DS but really really keeping fingers tightly crossed for an MA place (but we are prepared for a no on that too). 

We are planning on trying for Central too. Will take new photos and apply once this result is out. 

That reminds me, I have submitted the most horrendous photos for central, lol, it was late and wanted to get it done. The application is only 15 pounds though which is great, just the price of a class really. DS has to give up Tring CBA to do JAs next term which is a shame but we want to finish the JA programme and with live classes. 

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

I don't have a clue whether his turnout is good or his hamstrings are tight etc. He does his 3 lessons a week, does a few stretches most days, can't get into any splits, but is a lot closer to it since starting with a different dance school last March (and doing more lessons with his teacher). I honestly feel completely clueless. He only originally did the video for an MA space but his teacher said about ticking the box for the school and sending one to Elmhurst too. In his head he would love to dance every day and be with other boys (and girls) of his age who also love ballet. But he won't be too upset if he doesn't get a place as he never thought he would even get an audition. 

I've not seen him dance officially since before he joined his new dance school, so don't really know what he's like. Obviously I watched his audition videos snd he's definitely improved a lot since the last time we were allowed to have a viewing week, but I don't know what I'm looking for, so just don't have a clue!!!

Your boys all sound so amazing, confident and so good at ballet. I don't know how they will choose only 14 of them!

I've not asked about the audition since Friday evening. He spouted out loads on the way home. Mentioned one of 2 bits over the weekend that I hadn't heard first time, when he was telling my Mum what it was like. He's still grinning every now and then and when I ask why he says he is just thinking about the school! He had his private lesson on zoom last night and came out of the lounge after buzzing - his teacher obviously knows what he's talking about, so they had a little catch up and talked technical stuff!

I'm just hoping we don't have to wait the full 2 weeks. This is worse than waiting for my exam results last year!!!

The waiting is agonising isn’t it. Your DS has as much chance as any of the boys. They look for potential also and as long as they think they can work with the body and they liked him that’s all that matters. I wouldn’t worry too much about the technical stuff. 

We are also of the opinion that a place for our DD at the school will probably not happen but my fingers are firmly crossed for an MA place although I know that’s a long shot too. At least if nothing comes of the audition then they’ve had a lovely experience and if they want to they can apply again next year! Xx 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

Who knows what they are looking for 🤷🏼‍♀️ I really wouldn’t worry. In the past ,children have been accepted without even doing much ballet before but more gymnastics. They had the right attributes / equipment etc . It really is a guessing game. 
Also they take 14 boys maxim. They don’t have to fill up the spaces and won’t. If they only like 6 or7 boys they will only take that amount . 
I’ll be very glad when this is all over to be honest, it’s consuming me!!!  Xx

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

Who knows what they are looking for 🤷🏼‍♀️ I really wouldn’t worry. In the past ,children have been accepted without even doing much ballet before but more gymnastics. They had the right attributes / equipment etc . It really is a guessing game. 
Also they take 14 boys maxim. They don’t have to fill up the spaces and won’t. If they only like 6 or7 boys they will only take that amount . 

I totally agree, I’m looking forward to the summer holidays when all the results will be out and we can relax until the madness starts up again! X

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The red shoes said:

I'll be glad when it's over too. I can't concentrate on my research project I'm supposed to be doing today and I've still got a lesson to plan for tomorrow but my head is all over the place. Luckily it doesn't appear to be bothering my son in the same way. I think this is worse that waiting for news for anything I've ever done for myself 😂

I'm at home today and not in school so I'll see his school teacher at the gate this afternoon and see if he's been different in class at all, but at home he seems his usual self. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

I'll be glad when it's over too. I can't concentrate on my research project I'm supposed to be doing today and I've still got a lesson to plan for tomorrow but my head is all over the place. Luckily it doesn't appear to be bothering my son in the same way. I think this is worse that waiting for news for anything I've ever done for myself 😂

I'm at home today and not in school so I'll see his school teacher at the gate this afternoon and see if he's been different in class at all, but at home he seems his usual self. 

I think they are different to us, personally I think they only think about it when we mention it, I don’t think they’d stress like us x 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

I totally agree, I’m looking forward to the summer holidays when all the results will be out and we can relax until the madness starts up again! X

I'm praying the restrictions lift and we can go on our caravan holiday to France this year as it was cancelled last summer.

It is madness, it's all consuming. I feel like we've been thrown into another world!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

I think your son was just as good as everyone in the room. DS told me everyone was amazing (he was beaming when he told me this!)
And 3 lessons a week isn’t too few, that’s what DS usually does too, two group classes and one 30 min private (we’ve only increased it slightly in lockdown due to general activity levels being so low - I didn’t want DS to become lazy, or addicted to his video games...which we haven’t actually been able to avoid 🙄🤦‍♀️). 

It’s so good your DS is buzzing! Mine has a real spring in his step too and is dancing about just really happy. It’s really motivated him. I really want him to live in that moment a bit longer. 😁 

....but I’d also like to know. (Painful!) 

Just now, Dancermom said:

I think they are different to us, personally I think they only think about it when we mention it, I don’t think they’d stress like us x 

Completely agree with this. I teach at a secondary school and only a couple I teach get stressed about stuff. The majority just go about life without a care in the world

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I think your son was just as good as everyone in the room. DS told me everyone was amazing (he was beaming when he told me this!)
And 3 lessons a week isn’t too few, that’s what DS usually does too, two group classes and one 30 min private (we’ve only increased it slightly in lockdown due to general activity levels being so low - I didn’t want DS to become lazy, or addicted to his video games...which we haven’t actually been able to avoid 🙄🤦‍♀️). 

It’s so good your DS is buzzing! Mine has a real spring in his step too and is dancing about just really happy. It’s really motivated him. I really want him to live in that moment a bit longer. 😁 

....but I’d also like to know. (Painful!) 

Haha, yes I've had to add restrictions now on my boys computers as they were both getting to the point of being obsessed. Since I've limited their time they've both been drawing lots and doing craft bits (with all their little sister's materials, much to her disgust).

During the big lockdown last year though, the computer was such a big help to alleviate boredom and to connect with their friends. This time they've been going to school throughout so still seeing some friends and using their brains.

• Like 1

This whole thing has been good for my DD so far, she screamed so loud when we told her she’d got to the finals at white lodge.  She’s taken her ballet really seriously since and last night after school she sat and chose some ballet music from Amazon, making sure every piece fit to her specific exercises that she’s chosen to do every day. It’s given her confidence because I keep stressing to her that even just to get to the finals is an achievement and she should be proud of herself. It’s so nice to see her being pro active with her preparation! X

• Like 5

Aww Dancermom - that is so lovely! 🥰🩰

That’s the thing, we CAN keep this positive, no matter what. Last night I asked DS how he thinks he might feel if it’s a no, he said ‘Oh that’s fine, there’s 6 more years of applying and I’m sure I’ll get in at some point.’ 😆😆😆 (I do love his confidence 🤣). 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dancermom said:

This whole thing has been good for my DD so far, she screamed so loud when we told her she’d got to the finals at white lodge.  She’s taken her ballet really seriously since and last night after school she sat and chose some ballet music from Amazon, making sure every piece fit to her specific exercises that she’s chosen to do every day. It’s given her confidence because I keep stressing to her that even just to get to the finals is an achievement and she should be proud of herself. It’s so nice to see her being pro active with her preparation! X

My son found some Disney music that has been converted to ballet music last year. He loves it and often listens to it falling asleep now too. I also have it on in the background when working at home.

Agree that it has given them an extra boost - my ds teacher says he's been trying harder in lessons since getting the finals places. Almost like it has confirmed he is good at ballet. He is the newest to his little dance school and is lower in level than any of them. His junior lessons have 4 children in, just him and 3 girls. He sees the other boy who is older, in body conditioning classes and they play on xboxes together. But he always feels like he's not as good as the others. The teacher is very selective on who she trains and did say to me last year that he is a lot lower in ability than anyone she has taken on before, but she sees a potential to be great. So he was taken on with the promise of hardwork on his part. Then lockdown hit last year, a week after he had got a place. So it has been so tough.

But these little things, finals and spring intensive place, have given him little boosts to his confidence. The best thing for him was meeting other boys who are his age and love dancing - he felt like he fitted in with them all.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

My son found some Disney music that has been converted to ballet music last year. He loves it and often listens to it falling asleep now too. I also have it on in the background when working at home.

Agree that it has given them an extra boost - my ds teacher says he's been trying harder in lessons since getting the finals places. Almost like it has confirmed he is good at ballet. He is the newest to his little dance school and is lower in level than any of them. His junior lessons have 4 children in, just him and 3 girls. He sees the other boy who is older, in body conditioning classes and they play on xboxes together. But he always feels like he's not as good as the others. The teacher is very selective on who she trains and did say to me last year that he is a lot lower in ability than anyone she has taken on before, but she sees a potential to be great. So he was taken on with the promise of hardwork on his part. Then lockdown hit last year, a week after he had got a place. So it has been so tough.

But these little things, finals and spring intensive place, have given him little boosts to his confidence. The best thing for him was meeting other boys who are his age and love dancing - he felt like he fitted in with them all.

What a lovely story! Sounds like it’s all meant to be! X 

5 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Aww Dancermom - that is so lovely! 🥰🩰

That’s the thing, we CAN keep this positive, no matter what. Last night I asked DS how he thinks he might feel if it’s a no, he said ‘Oh that’s fine, there’s 6 more years of applying and I’m sure I’ll get in at some point.’ 😆😆😆 (I do love his confidence 🤣). 

Yes definitely, this experience is nothing but a positive one whatever the outcome. Your DS is totally right about getting in at some point and if he wants it enough he will! 

Even just to get to the finals is something they’ll never forget! X 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BalletBoyMum1 said:

It is all consuming and a long rollercoaster ride. 

I have to remind myself that back in 2016 I was waiting for medical results and endless investigations for my youngest ds, and now to just have to wait for the results of prestigious ballet schools seems like a luxury.  We are all very fortunate to have our healthy amazing children even if they don't have the perfect turnout or hamstrings or arch or might not get into a top school this year. 

• Like 3

100%

And, no matter what, it WILL turn out fine. Often rejection, while painful at the time, helps build resilience and perseverance - traits that will benefit them well into their adult lives. So whether it’s a positive or negative outcome, it’s actually all still very beneficial for character building. They’ve all already achieved so much! 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Good morning everyone, 

Looking at last year dates, it seems like the boys got the results 5 days after the audition, so this would be tomorrow. Does anyone know more about dates for boys who could not attend in person or people abroad? 

I actually really would prefer not to get results tomorrow (as it is ds birthday and right before Elmhurst, lol).

You were right .. they had their audition on the Thursday and got their result on the Tuesday!!! I just asked a mum of a current year 7 boy.... could be tomorrow or Thursday!!!! She said it came at 5pm too xx 

• Like 2

Guys can I just check. I got given some lateral flow tests (thanks so much @balletdreams)....I've just done the first test...it was negative...self reported it on gov website and got a text saying I had a negative test...can I just confirm this is all I am supposed to do. I self reported it as being negative but how do they know it is actually negative?! I've taken a photo as proof...?! Do I need to bring the test along as well? X 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raquelle said:

Guys can I just check. I got given some lateral flow tests (thanks so much @balletdreams)....I've just done the first test...it was negative...self reported it on gov website and got a text saying I had a negative test...can I just confirm this is all I am supposed to do. I self reported it as being negative but how do they know it is actually negative?! I've taken a photo as proof...?! Do I need to bring the test along as well? X 

This is why they aren’t worth the paper they’re  written On unfortunately. It’s all based on trust 😒xx 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raquelle said:

I printed off the email. But yes, that’s all.
And that’s why there was so much confusion in the early days and why they then said no home tests (but later backtracked) - it is based on trust unfortunately, just like the school ones.. 

Just now, BalletBoyMumma said:

I printed off the email. But yes, that’s all.
And that’s why there was so much confusion in the early days and why they then said no home tests (but later backtracked) - it is based on trust unfortunately, just like the school ones.. 

OK. It just seems to odd they originally said you can't do home tests only lateral flow where you get an official result...but if the official result is self reported it isn't really very official 🤔...thanks so much, as long as that's all I need xxx 

• Like 1

Just now, Raquelle said:

OK. It just seems to odd they originally said you can't do home tests only lateral flow where you get an official result...but if the official result is self reported it isn't really very official 🤔...thanks so much, as long as that's all I need xxx 

Yep! But I think because the government then prescribed home testing for secondary schools instead of setting up more local test centres, they couldn’t really say otherwise (kind of glad as it meant we could go but it does all seem a bit pointless just basing it on trust). 

4 hours ago, Raquelle said:

i think they are doing temperature checks also if I remember rightly not sure where I saw that