White lodge video audition - making a video

The red shoes

3 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

DS attended the YDA final in London today and though the letter said there would be some physio checks, he just said there were some stretches and no contact (he was awarded a funded place). 

Wow, that’s brilliant! Do they offer fully funded places at YDA or partial? Sending lots of love and luck for more wonderful results in the week ahead! X

• Like 2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

Wow, that’s brilliant! Do they offer fully funded places at YDA or partial? Sending lots of love and luck for more wonderful results in the week ahead! X

Thank-you so much. I think it is a sponsorship for boys specifically. Feeling very fortunate it is for 5 years and covers full tuition (does not cover homestays, or accommodation). He really likes YDA. 

3 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Thank-you so much. I think it is a sponsorship for boys specifically. Feeling very fortunate it is for 5 years and covers full tuition (does not cover homestays, or accommodation). He really likes YDA. 

That’s incredible, what a fantastic offer! Yes my dd loves YDA too and is hoping to audition there next year. Their associate classes are fantastic so I’ve no doubt the full time school is equally as wonderful! 

• Like 1

Just now, PurplePirouette said:

That’s incredible, what a fantastic offer! Yes my dd loves YDA too and is hoping to audition there next year. Their associate classes are fantastic so I’ve no doubt the full time school is equally as wonderful! 

They will have a year 6 class from September as well, some boys were auditioning for a year 6 place. 

My DD was asked to remove her shoes and socks ! She was the only one in her group that was asked. They did an exercise then she was asked to repeat the exercise without her shoes and socks on. Did this happen to everyone else ? 

1 hour ago, Amme76 said:

My DD was asked to remove her shoes and socks ! She was the only one in her group that was asked. They did an exercise then she was asked to repeat the exercise without her shoes and socks on. Did this happen to everyone else ? 

Sorry, I thought this happened in the YDA audition but perhaps you meant white lodge? Didn’t happen to DD at white lodge either!

6 hours ago, Amme76 said:

no my DD wasn’t asked that, but I would take this as a positive also 

8 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Congratulations. Well done to your DS. This is an amazing news. YDA is our favourite place as well. Dd is their associate too and really loves their nurturing approach. Hope we will hear from yesterday's girls audition soon. It was a busy weekend- Saturday in WL and Sunday in YDA. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Amme76 said:

My DS thinks some stretches were without shoes at WL and then the entire physio assessment was also with bare feet at WL.

42 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

My DS thinks some stretches were without shoes at WL and then the entire physio assessment was also with bare feet at WL.

Yes my DS said this also but he thinks the full class were asked to remove shoes and socks? Congratulations to your DS on his funded place! Amazing news! x

• Like 1

Completely newbie here! My daughter has final audition at White Lodge for year 9 on Friday...after obsessively reading all this thread (every 10 minutes updating it!! ), just wondered how many other year 9 are going on Friday or likely to be there? Also will the audition and physio check follow the year 7 entry (ie no impro requested etc)? Any hints appreciated. She is not a JA and this is her first audition

thank you for this feed - love reading all the experiences 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Newbie2 said:

Completely newbie here! My daughter has final audition at White Lodge for year 9 on Friday...after obsessively reading all this thread (every 10 minutes updating it!! ), just wondered how many other year 9 are going on Friday or likely to be there? Also will the audition and physio check follow the year 7 entry (ie no impro requested etc)? Any hints appreciated. She is not a JA and this is her first audition

I don’t have any info about the year 9 auditions I’m sorry! But good luck for your daughter on Friday 🤞 xx 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie2 said:

Welcome, I’m pretty much a newbie to all this too other than joining this thread a few weeks ago, it’s been so helpful, my DD was a year 7 WL finalist but had not been a JA, no advice to give unfortunately but wishing you all the best for the audition 

• Like 1

Is anybody else checking emails a lot today?! I can’t believe we are still waiting, I think this is the longest in recent years that the boys have had to wait to hear! I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not a super long time but the thought of not knowing to the end of the week is killing me, haha x

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I’d be very interested to know that too.

I recently asked a tutor about my DS’s ability in the splits. They felt that the centre splits are adequate as a measure of potential (at least for boys) as they had students successful for WL who’s front and back splits were ‘ok’ but far from perfect. 

Hyper mobility is certainly not a prerequisite for a boys place at WL.

In my son’s JA year, 2 of the boys most certainly were not hyper mobile.

There is much more focus on strength, and awareness of turnout and training a child to hold a fifth position over time.

My son is Y8 and does a lot of Intensives with the current cohort of WL students and some of the Y8/9 don’t have full splits on both sides.

My son has full splits, but this readjusts every time he grows and he has been told that for boys they have until they are around 16 to get this completely sorted. This is from their RB MA body con teacher.

Unfortunately it’s doesn’t seem the same for girls, it seems much harder.

• Like 2

Just now, Bunny said:

Is anybody else checking emails a lot today?! I can’t believe we are still waiting, I think this is the longest in recent years that the boys have had to wait to hear! I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not a super long time but the thought of not knowing to the end of the week is killing me, haha x

The boy who couldn’t make the audition is still waiting further instructions to how he can be seen.... who knows when we will get these results!! X

12 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

The boy who couldn’t make the audition is still waiting further instructions to how he can be seen.... who knows when we will get these results!! X

Hopefully they will sort it for him in a way which doesn’t delay our results! I suppose it’s the same for the international students isn’t it. Perhaps they will hold some spaces back? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Motomum said:

Hyper mobility is certainly not a prerequisite for a boys place at WL.

In my son’s JA year, 2 of the boys most certainly were not hyper mobile.

There is much more focus on strength, and awareness of turnout and training a child to hold a fifth position over time.

My son is Y8 and does a lot of Intensives with the current cohort of WL students and some of the Y8/9 don’t have full splits on both sides.

My son has full splits, but this readjusts every time he grows and he has been told that for boys they have until they are around 16 to get this completely sorted. This is from their RB MA body con teacher.

Unfortunately it’s doesn’t seem the same for girls, it seems much harder.

Thank you for that valuable and insightful information!  Really appreciated. I remember an ENB teacher who was at WL passingly saying something to me across similar lines; something like boys have to demonstrate a flexibility potential that they can grow and train into, but girls have a shorter, tougher and earlier 'window' to reach and retain the prerequisite flexibility. My DS has good natural turnout, and good centre splits, but as you mention with some of the Y8/9 boys, his side splits are 'ok' but plenty of room (and now it appears time) to work on those.  One of his tutors who has had a few boys get into WL was very unconcerned about side splits at this moment in time.  Then I was unconcerned, until the discussion about hypermobility turned up!  It was the time aspect that concerned me the most, as I'm only starting to see exercises to enhance flexibility starting to be formally introduced into JA/associate programmes. And in discussions for WL finals, I hear a lot more discussion about flexibility/hypermobility etc, so its fascinating to know what it all means. 

8 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Thank you for that valuable and insightful information!  Really appreciated. I remember an ENB teacher who was at WL passingly saying something to me across similar lines; something like boys have to demonstrate a flexibility potential that they can grow and train into, but girls have a shorter, tougher and earlier 'window' to reach and retain the prerequisite flexibility. My DS has good natural turnout, and good centre splits, but as you mention with some of the Y8/9 boys, his side splits are 'ok' but plenty of room (and now it appears time) to work on those.  One of his tutors who has had a few boys get into WL was very unconcerned about side splits at this moment in time.  Then I was unconcerned, until the discussion about hypermobility turned up!  It was the time aspect that concerned me the most, as I'm only starting to see exercises to enhance flexibility starting to be formally introduced into JA/associate programmes. And in discussions for WL finals, I hear a lot more discussion about flexibility/hypermobility etc, so its fascinating to know what it all means. 

I am sure there is evidence to suggest that boys are naturally less flexible than girls and are more likely to lose their flexibility as they hit puberty? I imagine that’s why they expect it to be slower going in boys. My DS has flat splits all three ways but can’t bend his leg at the knee in his side splits straight up if that makes sense, it deviates at an angle, so his hips aren’t quite square in them. I know several boys who have gone to WL without flat side or even box splits. I don’t think that’s the main focus. Good luck to your DS! x

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bunny said:

I am sure there is evidence to suggest that boys are naturally less flexible than girls and are more likely to lose their flexibility as they hit puberty? I imagine that’s why they expect it to be slower going in boys. My DS has flat splits all three ways but can’t bend his leg at the knee in his side splits straight up if that makes sense, it deviates at an angle, so his hips aren’t quite square in them. I know several boys who have gone to WL without flat side or even box splits. I don’t think that’s the main focus. Good luck to your DS! x

Thank you!  And best of luck to your DS!!!!

1 hour ago, Bunny said:

I’m nervous and thinking of all you boy mums today, this is what il be like by  next week when our results are more likely to be, constantly checking! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

my son 12, Y8, has hyper mobile spine, ankles, knees, but not hyper mobile hips, so not flat turnout, but he has a beautiful developpe and has learnt to hold a lovely fifth from strength and awareness of what muscles he should be using. And his range of turnout has improved massively.

His JA teacher told him to work on strength and conditioning, so that’s what he has done over the last couple of years, and it has served him very well indeed. 
of course he works on his flexibility and it is quite amazing what can be improved on.
Understanding what you have and learning how to use it with artistry and flare is as important as a on oversplit leap and legs touching ears in a la seconds. 😀

I do feel for young girls though, I am glad I have a son, it must be so difficult for them.

My son is an MA and they work on core strength and stability that is their primary focus.

My son is in Vaganova based vocational training, and they are much more concerned with extremes of flexibility. Still boys have it much easier than the girls.

I remember a Russian teacher said to my son once he would pay to watch his grande battements on stage any day. They weren’t  the highest in the class, but they were the most perfect in their execution. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Newbie2 said:

My son is in the same position but for year 7. I'm brand new to all of this and white lodge was his first audition. Good luck to your daughter on Friday x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newbie2 said:

Usually, the yr8, 9, and 10’s are altogether in the final, but I can’t tell you how it would be for this year.  Sometimes they ask the students to introduce themselves as they go in... just name, where they came from. But again, this is a few years ago. It can be a little daunting in the beginning being with older students but my Dd found everything manageable, so no worries. Just a case of focusing and not looking at others too much. The year 8’s were at the front of the barre and it went round in date of birth order. There were about 15 girls in total and 5 yr 8’s that year, but it varies I think. I can’t remember there being any improvisation but I do remember how much her legs ached on the train going home!

Hope she has a wonderful day. Remember to smile and perform 😊!!

• Like 1

Guess WL boys Y7 results won't be out today after all. But then, it's the same people on the panel presumably who just spent the whole weekend auditioning the girls, plus there are other year groups they have yet to do...looks like a long wait yet...! Hang on in there folks!