Hi

Have found this forum really helpful as I'm a newbie dance parent.

So asking after your wealth of knowledge and experience once again.

Whilst my child ponders her yr7 direction and is looking to audition for various vocational schools, which the short list is now Elmhurst, RB, Hammond and Tring... lol got to love the enthusiasm! 😂 so whilst mentally going through my dance hit bank account I am wondering if we should even go to the expensive and logistics of the Elmhurst prelims as she was turned down for the Young dancers video audition? She was offered YD last year but we had to turn it down. DD is an RBS JA and her W/L prelims will be done at the MA audition.

My thinking is because she got in YD last year but not this year, that maybe this signals the end of the journey with Elmhurst?? I really can't fathom all this out 😂😂

Thoughts or previous experiences please as my head hurts thinking about it now haha

(DD is fully aware that it's all highly competative) 

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t rule anything out based on previous auditions. Children progress at such a rate, and so much can change in the space of a year. If Elmhurst is a school you like, it’s definitely worth a try, as otherwise you will be left wondering. There have been new starters in DD’s year that weren’t successful at their first attempt. People are absolutely right when they say it’s a ‘not yet’ rather than a ‘no’.

• Like 1

I can understand your reservations about the cost - but to get the best chance of her getting a place at vocational school in Y7 I would suggest auditioning for as many as you can afford.

Given that she is an RBS JA, and has been previously offered a place on Elmhurst's Young Dancer programme (albeit not this year - but this is a weird one to be sure!) she stands as good a chance as anyone else.

There are so many variables at an audition - not just how your dd performs on the day, but how others perform, and how many places are available at that time.

To be honest, I think if you don't include Elmhurst in the schools she tries for in Y7 you might always wonder in the future ...'what if!'

• Like 1

Looking at it from a purely financial point of view, Elmhurst and RBS have the highest proportion of MDS places, so not auditioning could be seen as a false economy. It would be heartbreaking to be offered a place without funding elsewhere and wonder if she might have got in.

Keeping it all in perspective though, if you do miss a school out in the Year 7 auditions round, you can always change your mind later. There are lots of additions to each cohort over the years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

... if you do miss a school out in the Year 7 auditions round, you can always change your mind later. There are lots of additions to each cohort over the years.

This is a good point, there are many people who get places in various schools in later years.  

But I can't help thinking that in year 7 each school has a full 'allocation' of places to fill - in subsequent years you are potentially competing with those already there and already benefitted from full time training.  Having said that, my dd didn't audition for vocational schools until she was 16, so we were never in this loop.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Thankyou everyone... DD so keen to try, so we will give it a go. It all feels a bit overwhelming, especially when I don't really know what I'm doing. It looks like DD has settled on 4 to try! Haha... so stressful 6 months coming up 😂 as well as local school applications 

My DD had 4.....probably the same 4! We ended up only applying at Elmhurst and RBS. Glad we did as I dont think work would have been too happy with twice as many days off!!!!

6 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

My DD had 4.....probably the same 4! We ended up only applying at Elmhurst and RBS. Glad we did as I dont think work would have been too happy with twice as many days off!!!!

Yeah that is a consideration too but I think the JA one for Mids/ WL is a Saturday but I'm maybe (more than likely) wrong lol 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

Elmhurst Year 7 applications have opened today. Have joined this forum to be reassured that I'm not alone in what will no doubt be a rollercoaster year for my DS...Good luck to anyone else out there who is applying!

Hi, thank you for the heads up. Do you know if they want a video? I just glanced at the website from my phone and they were asking for all the details but I did not proceed as I did not have the photos or video ready. 

On 29/08/2020 at 19:09, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Hi

Have found this forum really helpful as I'm a newbie dance parent.

So asking after your wealth of knowledge and experience once again.

Whilst my child ponders her yr7 direction and is looking to audition for various vocational schools, which the short list is now Elmhurst, RB, Hammond and Tring... lol got to love the enthusiasm! 😂 so whilst mentally going through my dance hit bank account I am wondering if we should even go to the expensive and logistics of the Elmhurst prelims as she was turned down for the Young dancers video audition? She was offered YD last year but we had to turn it down. DD is an RBS JA and her W/L prelims will be done at the MA audition.

My thinking is because she got in YD last year but not this year, that maybe this signals the end of the journey with Elmhurst?? I really can't fathom all this out 😂😂

Thoughts or previous experiences please as my head hurts thinking about it now haha

(DD is fully aware that it's all highly competative) 

Do you think having turned down the place the previous year could affect future chances? My DS had provisionally accepted YD for year 5 and had started going to the introductory sessions in June of year 4 but then got offered JAs in London (much closer to us) and so we had to turn it down. I had sent a very apologetic email but they never responded. Hopefully, this wont affect future chances as DS truly loved it there. 

I wondered too! But if you look under photo requirements on the main site it says bare feet but in practice clothes. My DS had white Leo and dance shorts. I did the 3 plus the one that only seemed to be posed for girls just in case! No video needed!!

Edited by TwirlyWhirly
Extra info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Do you think having turned down the place the previous year could affect future chances? My DS had provisionally accepted YD for year 5 and had started going to the introductory sessions in June of year 4 but then got offered JAs in London (much closer to us) and so we had to turn it down. I had sent a very apologetic email but they never responded. Hopefully, this wont affect future chances as DS truly loved it there. 

I hope not that's the case, we had to turn down Yr5 sadly, wanted to audition for Yr6, it was a zoom audition and really didn't go well, we had an expected no but DD learnt from it.  

• Like 1

I see it says we will be contacted if successful in getting a preliminary audition. Is this just this year? Or is this is said every year? If so is the decision fairly quick as to whether the child has gained a place at Preliminary auditions? Or do we just enter pay the money and wait until after closing date to find out? 

Its all a bit confusing. Tring do a screening process before you pay. Hammond you enter and pay, then ger an email inviting to audition. ŔBS audition all applicants. Then Elmhurst put that on their website, so a bit confused... as usual! I was wondering if selecting for preliminary audition was a new thing or has it always been like that... application seems quite long too 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwirlyWhirly said:

I wondered too! But if you look under photo requirements on the main site it says bare feet but in practice clothes. My DS had white Leo and dance shorts. I did the 3 plus the one that only seemed to be posed for girls just in case! No video needed!!

Thanks, definitely confusing as it says practise clothes unless otherwise indicated (so I thought the photos indicate bare chest 🤦‍♀️). We will probably go for white leotard as well and short shorts. Did you do the plié photo as well (as it says ‘All’ at the bottom or just the foot in the tendu in addition to the 3 just standing photos? Thanks again. 

6 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

I see it says we will be contacted if successful in getting a preliminary audition. Is this just this year? Or is this is said every year? If so is the decision fairly quick as to whether the child has gained a place at Preliminary auditions? Or do we just enter pay the money and wait until after closing date to find out? 

Its all a bit confusing. Tring do a screening process before you pay. Hammond you enter and pay, then ger an email inviting to audition. ŔBS audition all applicants. Then Elmhurst put that on their website, so a bit confused... as usual! I was wondering if selecting for preliminary audition was a new thing or has it always been like that... application seems quite long too 🤔

I was also wondering the same thing especially as the photos required for boys seem very basic for year 7. Was also wondering about the call back? Is that just a physio assessment? 

4 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

I was also wondering the same thing especially as the photos required for boys seem very basic for year 7. Was also wondering about the call back? Is that just a physio assessment? 

From the way it reads, you send off the application plus the 4 photos and pay £40, then we wait to see if DC is invited to the preliminary audition stage. Just wonder how long it takes to find out DC can audition or not and have they done the in previous years 🤔 

They have changed it for this year and are screening from photographs first. You will be told after the closing date on 11th Dec if you’ve been invited to audition....... seems a bit unreasonable to charge £40 though when all they might do is look at 4 photos.....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TwoDancers said:

They have changed it for this year and are screening from photographs first. You will be told after the closing date on 11th Dec if you’ve been invited to audition....... seems a bit unreasonable to charge £40 though when all they might do is look at 4 photos.....

Yeah that's how I read it... long waitt to see if children get to preliminary stage 🙈.. x

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

I emailed the school about the photo requirements for boys: 

Morning Lara

Thank you for your interest in Elmhurst Ballet School.

I can confirm that for Year 7 entry, only the 3 male photos are required.

It is personal preference, as to bare chest or not.

I hope this helps

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 22:43, Crazylifecrazykids said:

My DS is a young dancer with Elmhurst in year 6. We had a separate form to fill out to apply for year 7 which didn’t include photos or videos plus the audition will be free as he is a YD

• Like 1

Crazylifecrazykids - my dd aplied for yr7 but was poorly and not successful, so applied for yr 8 and did get a place. If you are worried about the cost of an audition then you really have to think if you can afford vocational school. The funded places are means tested ( look on Elmhurst website to work out roughly how much you will pay per year), in addition there are house funds, trips, pocket money, school uniform (and the uniform bursary doesnt go far once they are getting through Pointe shoes and demi-pointe shoes quickly). They also have leave out every 3 weeks, so once per half term, so will either need collecting Friday 2.45 and returning Sunday, or catch trains - all this is additional cost. So without putting a grim outlook on it all, it is an amazing experience for the dc, but it isnt cheap. Make sure you go in with your eyes wide open. It isnt fair to dc to go through the audition process if you cant afford to follow it through.

Normally all who apply get prelims, however, i am sure due to covid they have to be more selective. There are places in year 8,9 and 10 but only when children leave, and they leave because they want to go to another school, dont enjoy the reality of living away, or fall out of love with ballet. 

So my dd is now applying for 6th form,  so we are not just looking at UK, but also Europe, again there is a cost, but some European schools are cheaper than UK. Just a reminder to all that the rollercoaster you are on doesnt stop once they get a place at vocational school, it gets even more stressful with assessments, injures etc.

On a positive note, my dd absolutely loves it and we wouldnt change it. For her Elmhurst is where she wants to stay, but one school doesnt fit all, just like all schools.

It is definitely - if at first you dont succeed try, try again, it may be a no for now but they grow and change so quickly that every year is different.

Good luck to all those applying. I hope this post has been helpful.

Xx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Crazylifecrazykids - my dd aplied for yr7 but was poorly and not successful, so applied for yr 8 and did get a place. If you are worried about the cost of an audition then you really have to think if you can afford vocational school. The funded places are means tested ( look on Elmhurst website to work out roughly how much you will pay per year), in addition there are house funds, trips, pocket money, school uniform (and the uniform bursary doesnt go far once they are getting through Pointe shoes and demi-pointe shoes quickly). They also have leave out every 3 weeks, so once per half term, so will either need collecting Friday 2.45 and returning Sunday, or catch trains - all this is additional cost. So without putting a grim outlook on it all, it is an amazing experience for the dc, but it isnt cheap. Make sure you go in with your eyes wide open. It isnt fair to dc to go through the audition process if you cant afford to follow it through.

Normally all who apply get prelims, however, i am sure due to covid they have to be more selective. There are places in year 8,9 and 10 but only when children leave, and they leave because they want to go to another school, dont enjoy the reality of living away, or fall out of love with ballet. 

So my dd is now applying for 6th form,  so we are not just looking at UK, but also Europe, again there is a cost, but some European schools are cheaper than UK. Just a reminder to all that the rollercoaster you are on doesnt stop once they get a place at vocational school, it gets even more stressful with assessments, injures etc.

On a positive note, my dd absolutely loves it and we wouldnt change it. For her Elmhurst is where she wants to stay, but one school doesnt fit all, just like all schools.

It is definitely - if at first you dont succeed try, try again, it may be a no for now but they grow and change so quickly that every year is different.

Good luck to all those applying. I hope this post has been helpful.

Xx

Thankyou all very helpful. Its not the cost of the audition or the school as such, we have done the calculator on MDS and what we'd have to pay to top up.. seems OK on paper but there are other costs as well I'm sure x

• 4 weeks later...