RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

We have received our email for Group 2 (Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Dundee). We are going to do it tomorrow. I really want to take a peek but unsure if allowed with them saying it mustn’t be rehearsed.

We didn’t peek, but I do wish I’d prepared my daughter to do the improvisation bit because it threw her. None of it is at all challenging, and it’s all explained really clearly, with the teacher demonstrating first and then dancing along with them. Hope it all goes well! 

• Like 2

Yes I think you are right but it will be very hard to resist. I will be good and I won't look! I think my DD always does things better first time and without any prep anyway, it looks more natural.

If it is a youtube clip what is to stop anyone searching and finding it? Or can they somehow set it so only certain people can view?

I'm not very technologically minded but I think it is a private link so that you can only view it through the link on your email. Another reason why they may be able to tell if you've clicked on it more than once? 

The audition really is very straightforward and I don't think it would be any help to practice. They specifically say on the video that it doesn't matter if you make a mistake. I think they're looking for something very specific, particularly with regard to body shape, and that won't change whether your DC executes something perfectly or makes some mistakes.  

• Like 1

Hi all, just found this thread. I am a little nervous now as I have had a peek at the videos - not shown my dd but just wanted to see what space we need and how I need to film as I am worried about messing it up! I think they will be able to tell if it has been practised and honestly don't think it will make any difference as it is all basic stuff - the 1st section is just positions and a couple to check flexibility. My dd auditioned last year so knows what sort of thing to expect so 1st time she sees it will be when we film it. Good luck to everyone!

• Like 2

I think a lot of people must’ve viewed it beforehand judging by the number of views (which are different for each video). They’ll be able to easily tell if a child has seen it before filming based on how they respond to the instructions etc. I don’t think there’s

much harm in parents watching beforehand, because if a child has been coached based on the content of the videos it’ll be obvious. 

• Like 1

Personally, I watched it beforehand to ascertain where the best place to position the camera would be based on how much space my pupil would need. I didn’t share anything with her beforehand and when I pressed play on Christopher Powney’s introduction to check everything was working, she put her hands over her ears and shut her eyes, saying “Stop it! I don’t want to cheat!” 🤣 I don’t think they’ll mind how many times it has been viewed so long as it’s obvious it has not been rehearsed. Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

It is true, they will be able to tell if a child has rehearsed the audition. But I don't think they would turn down a child with loads of potential just because the video had been viewed more than once! 😂

So we did our videos this afternoon for the London group. All was fine and 8 year old really enjoyed it! As everyone has said, it is pretty simple stuff and really not worth looking at before you film it. I think it would have been obvious if my daughter had seen it before hand. She made a few mistakes, including moving back into the wall during sautés! But I think it did give her a good chance to show how she can dance. 

A few things that might help - there is no clear verbal end to the videos, just text on the screen. This was a bit of an issue in the first one, my daughter was in a stretch looking down and I couldn’t get her attention that it had finished - so she ended up holding the stretch for ages while I was trying to get her attention and had to trim that bit of the video! I do wonder if some of the exercises are literally lifted straight from the yr 6 one - as they also talk about a dance/sequence which then never materialises! I had to go back and check the video again later to make sure she’d done it all! We played the videos onto an iPad attached to a tv screen and filmed with my phone. We uploaded them to youtube which was easy although it took ages - it does let me see when the video has been viewed - so will let you all know when it has!

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 14:04, Balletbuds80 said:

Hi

I thought it would be nice to start this topic (if allowed) for those of us who have a DC applying for RBS JA Year 4 and 5 this year via video audition so we can keep track of each centre and help each other out with any questions. If there are any of you on this forum? 
Group 1 is London and we are Group 2 (Leeds). Would be nice to meet you all (virtually) on here and hear your views. 

Thank you for organising this thread. My DD applied for London. Does anyone know when we’re likely to hear back? 

On 30/08/2020 at 15:10, Warby22 said:

Thank you for organising this thread. My DD applied for London. Does anyone know when we’re likely to hear back? 

If we can find out what happened with Year 6, I would imagine it would be the same? If they found out by centre at a time or all together right at the end 

It looks like year 6 all heard on the same day around 3 weeks after the deadline. But I think their submission date was the same and not staggered.

Has anyone who has submitted has their videos looked at yet? You can see the number of views on YouTube and Vimeo I think... 

We sent ours via google drive so I don’t think we can see if/when they’ve been viewed. Just a waiting game now I guess, although if they’re staggering submission videos I’d hope they would let each centre know a few weeks after their final date rather than waiting til all centres were done (just wishful thinking though, and not sure how that’d work if anyone was offered their second choice centre so maybe not!)

Yes we’re group 1 (London). Ours were watched today and they watched all 3. Looks like they watched around 75-90% of the time of each video so probably skipped through the chat to the exercise/dance bits I would have thought. My friend, also in group 1 (who submitted the day before the closing date) hasn’t had hers looked at yet. 

• Like 1

Ours were looked at on Thursday and, although they looked at all three, I'm pretty horrified to see that they only watched 1 minute 53 seconds of the first one, 50-odd seconds on the second one and just under two minutes of the third, meaning they didn't actually watch her dance until part 3 as they would only have seen her learning the exercises in parts 1 and 2. Very much hoping they'll at least watch some more of part 1 at some stage!