RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the email from RBS and they emphasise to do it first time in one go, and there is absolutely no benefit to practising, so that's a relief to me! 

This might be a stupid question but will a mobile phone recording be able to record for long enough? Sorry, completely technologically backward here! 

1 hour ago, Millicent said:

I just got the email from RBS and they emphasise to do it first time in one go, and there is absolutely no benefit to practising, so that's a relief to me! 

This might be a stupid question but will a mobile phone recording be able to record for long enough? Sorry, completely technologically backward here! 

How exciting @Millicent. You must be a Group 1 but it’s great to know the emails have started going out. I feel much better knowing g it must be done in one go. I am going to check my device storage to make sure I have a decent amount before I start recording. That’s all I am worried about 😂Good luck x

Edited by Balletbuds80

Hi everyone, my daughter is applying for a yr 5 place in Birmingham so we are group 4. Will be interested to see what the first groups' experiences are like of the video audition! 😬

The one thing I am confused about is whether the actual class is live (like on Zoom) at a set time, or whether they send a video for you to watch and follow whenever you like? 🤔

Good luck to all your DDs and DSs applying xx

10 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Hi everyone, my daughter is applying for a yr 5 place in Birmingham so we are group 4. Will be interested to see what the first groups' experiences are like of the video audition! 😬

The one thing I am confused about is whether the actual class is live (like on Zoom) at a set time, or whether they send a video for you to watch and follow whenever you like? 🤔

Good luck to all your DDs and DSs applying xx

We got our email yesterday for group 1. There’s a link to three YouTube videos which we’ll watch and record my DD dancing to when we’re ready to. Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lily Craggs said:

Hi there. 
the email says to record in full length, do you think this means portrait ? 

That is a bit confusing. Do you think they mean a full length video (no editing etc) rather than portrait?

I think by full length they just mean make sure you get the whole body in i.e. don't cut them off at the ankles! 

But they also say no editing and to film it just once with no practising. I suspect with this age of children it would be obvious if they had practised it and could cost them a place if they think you haven't followed the rules. 

I highly recommend practicing the filming even if it’s just of them twirling around! It can be really difficult fitting the whole body in when you are dancing in a small space. Also worth mentioning that you need to focus on the screen not your child dancing, I’m terrible for watching the student and videoing their finger or chopping off their head! 

2 hours ago, Balletmumlife said:

I wanted to join this thread as my daughter is auditioning for London Year 5. Threads on here have always been so supportive and helpful before when going through it with my son. 

My pupil is auditioning for a London Year 5 place too, though we would be equally happy with Eastleigh. This forum is wonderful, I agree.  I don't think I'd have got through the wait last year without having a heart attack otherwise! It is so sad that this year's auditionees won't get the chance to dance in the RBS studios and there is a lot of pressure on parents to get the audition videos right too! We're all in it together! 

I’m wondering when Group 4 Birmingham Y5 application update/links will be sent out, and what the submission deadline will be? Looks like they have a lot of applications to get through before they get to Birmingham.

(Cut and pasted from the July email update):

We will request videos in four groups with the first being due at the beginning of September (and more specific details to follow):
Group 1 - first choice London
Group 2 - first choice Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, and Dundee
Group 3 - first choice Totnes, Bath, and Eastleigh
Group 4 - first choice Birmingham

I also wonder how long results will take to arrive from submission deadline for each group? I think in ‘normal’ years, it takes a month. But with individual submissions, I’m wondering if they understandably take

much longer... Talk about an agonising wait. 😬 Although purely hypothetical, children might already be accepted and enrolled on other associate programmes that have already asked for, or are shortly about to request signed confirmation of acceptance.... makes me wonder if there will be a bit more movement and opportunity on SWL’s this year.

On 12/08/2020 at 10:04, Raquelle said:

Yes I agree white duvet. Our dd got in off the swl so I got a lovely phone call last week! She is slim with nice feet and flexible. She wore a red leotard which was flattering and we couldn't find her ballet shoes so the ones she ended up wearing were too small! However her feet looked lovely when she pointed! It wasnt a perfect audition but obviously they saw something in her x 

Congratulations to your DD! That must have been a wonderful call. My DS had the nervous anxiety of a SWL for Y4 and the disappointment that it never materialised into a space. May I ask, from submission deadline, did you have to wait long to get your result? 

I was wondering the same @BalletBoysDad because we are also Birmingham group 4.

Has anyone from later groups had video emails yet or is it still only group 1? How long do they give you between the email arriving and submission deadline? I have to go away for a week in September and sods law the email will arrive then!

1 minute ago, Spamcat said:

Has anyone from later groups had video emails yet or is it still only group 1? How long do they give you between the email arriving and submission deadline? I have to go away for a week in September and sods law the email will arrive then!

London had the email on the 12th Aug and has to be submitted my 1st September. X

It says in the email:

You will be sent the details of the video class and the form through which you will submit your video links approximately two and a half weeks in advance of the deadline for your group.

Which makes me wonder if there is, say, 4 week to submit. In the hope that applications are staggered, and not all submitted on the deadline day.

Thanks for the info @BalletBoysDad and @Balletmumlife. That is great, I was worried we would only get a few days, I'm quite happy with 2 and a half weeks.

So I wonder if group 2 will be sent out on 1st Sept after group one is finished and so on. That would be a long wait until group 4 but they will have so many videos to get through.

5 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Thanks for the info @BalletBoysDad and @Balletmumlife. That is great, I was worried we would only get a few days, I'm quite happy with 2 and a half weeks.

So I wonder if group 2 will be sent out on 1st Sept after group one is finished and so on. That would be a long wait until group 4 but they will have so many videos to get through.

I read on an earlier email that candidates who are 8 or 9 will be auditioned in autumn term with a view to successful candidates starting in January 2021. I’m not sure if this is still the plan, but we could be in for a very long wait.... 

14 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I read on an earlier email that candidates who are 8 or 9 will be auditioned in autumn term with a view to successful candidates starting in January 2021. I’m not sure if this is still the plan, but we could be in for a very long wait.... 

I think this statement was made when they were still hoping for a class audition as they would have been unsure if they would be allowed that volume of children in one room so have said autumn for a Jan start. But Its not quite autumn yet so could start earlier? I am hoping that the timescales will be the same as the Year 6 as I believe (and correct me if I am wrong), that the places available at this point are open to both Year 4 and 5 children? So if there are 8 places, it can be either Year 4 or 5 as this age group are in a class together? Gosh I am babbling 😂 I may be wrong though........

We are Group 2 and I am expecting an email around the beginning of September. I think it will be posted on here by myself and others when they come through. I do hope we will hear the results in Groups and not one big mail shot at the end of it all. Wishful thinking

Edited by Balletbuds80

1 minute ago, Balletbuds80 said:

I think this statement was made when they were still hoping for a class audition as they would have been unsure if they would be allowed that volume of children in one room so have said autumn for a Jan start. But Its not quite autumn yet so could start earlier? I am hoping that the timescales will be the same as the Year 6 as I believe (and correct me if I am wrong), that the places available at this point are open to both Year 4 and 5 children? So if there are 8 places, it can be either Year 4 or 5 as this age group are in a class together? Gosh I am babbling 😂 I may be wrong though........

We are Group 2 and I am expecting an email around the beginning of September. I think it will be posted on here by myself and others when they comes through. I do hope we will hear the results in Groups and not one big mail shot at the end of it all. 

I remember asking RBS at the beginning of the year how the groups expand from year to year. As I originally rather naively thought, if (for example) there were 8 children in Y4, and they all rise to Y5, how would there be places available? They told me by email they take fewer Y4, and expand the group in Y5 to allow space for new applicants. Same with the Y5 group rising to Y6, then expanding to take new applicants. I don’t know how many places come available, and how that’s mixed over boys and girls. There are some things I resign myself to probably never knowing :)

Results were sent out last year in the order of centre audition, so I imagine they’ll post results in the same way this year. 

17 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Just incase this is interesting for any Group 4 applicants: 

We have only just sent out group 1, so Group 4 will not be going out until the end of September with a return time in the middle of October.

That is interesting, where did you get that info from? Still a while to wait then!

@Balletbuds80 yes you are right, places are open to Yr 4 and 5 together, boys and girls, and they take a lot less yr 4s. So I feel like my DD has a better chance this year being a year 5, last year she was a very little August born yr 4 but has come on so much since then having spent a year at Elmhurst. I realise it is still unlikely but you never know! 🤞

1 minute ago, BellaF said:

Blimey - still a wait for us Birmingham then! 

I have very little hope of success for DD as not sure she fits the JA profile but nothing ventured nothing gained 😊

I've seen so many people post stuff like this and then get a place, you really never know!! Good luck. Which year Birmingham is your DD going for?

That is interesting, where did you get that info from? Still a while to wait then!

@Balletbuds80 yes you are right, places are open to Yr 4 and 5 together, boys and girls, and they take a lot less yr 4s. So I feel like my DD has a better chance this year being a year 5, last year she was a very little August born yr 4 but has come on so much since then having spent a year at Elmhurst. I realise it is still unlikely but you never know! 🤞

I emailed the auditions team email address last night. and this was from their reply this morning. At least it’s nice and transparent. 

Im going on the presumption that this is just good experience for my DS. But like @Spamcat I’m feeling a bit the same. When they lined up last year in number (age) order, my July born DS was so much smaller than the other boys. Yet he’s had quite a growth spurt and a good year of experience with ENB and Central School, so he’s come on so much as a dancer. He’ll be starting Elmhurst Young Dancers in September, so I’m glad he’s got that to focus on. 

• Like 2