RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

Oh ok so quite a small amount watched. I guess they can tell quite quickly whether it's a yes, no or maybe. 🤷‍♀️ Will be interesting to see if it is watched again, maybe they narrow it down and then watch some again to decide! 🤔

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Oh good to know, thanks. Grp 4 will be a while yet then! Let us know when you get yours. 😁

On the 18th August I had the following reply from the auditions team email when I asked for a rough estimate of Group 4 submission dates (I don’t imagine knowing the Birmingham results until middle of November):

Thanks for your message and your patience with this whole process.

We have only just sent out group 1, so Group 4 will not be going out until the end of September with a return time in the middle of October.

• Like 1

YouTube for me - you can get really detailed info from the YouTube studio app that is free to download. I’ve tried to attach an example of our video 3 views in last 48 hrs. The video was just over 9 minutes long but there was quite a bit of standing/listening.

9C3ED1FE-D774-49C3-A120-E570A781D609.thumb.png.7024cef138c78eb5dd517eb9d85d2fcd.png

• Like 1

I wonder if they compile a shortlist and then rewatch the short-listed ones in full? @MissEmilyit will be interesting whether yours are viewed again at a later time.

I'm sure they know what they're doing but it is difficult wondering if our children/pupils are going to get a fair chance over video rather than being in the studio where they would definitely be watched! 

I started recording when I pressed play on the YouTube videos so the first few minutes of all of my videos are of my DD standing watching the TV while they do the introductions etc. 

It would probably be useful for them to watch the videos on double speed if that's possible! 

1 hour ago, Millicent said:

I wonder if they compile a shortlist and then rewatch the short-listed ones in full? @MissEmilyit will be interesting whether yours are viewed again at a later time.

I'm sure they know what they're doing but it is difficult wondering if our children/pupils are going to get a fair chance over video rather than being in the studio where they would definitely be watched! 

I started recording when I pressed play on the YouTube videos so the first few minutes of all of my videos are of my DD standing watching the TV while they do the introductions etc. 

It would probably be useful for them to watch the videos on double speed if that's possible! 

I’ve keep questioning the ‘fairness’. It makes me wonder if there will be some sort of shortlist made even before from the initial application photos, then a quick sweep of the first videos... 

In a ‘normal’ audition at least all children were given an equal environment, an equal amount of time and presumably an equal amount of consideration. If they didn’t shine in one place, they might have demonstrated potential elsewhere. 

I feel a slight discomfort that a ‘no/not yet’ might raise more questions this year than a ‘normal’ audition. It might leave a lingering after though as to was my child given a fair chance.... 

Lingering doubts that will never really be resolved I guess. 

From our experience of ‘live’ auditions, from associates to companies, quick decisions are made in those situations too as to who is of interest and who not and candidates can be ‘dismissed’ and given very little/no attention after just a few minutes. At least via zoom/video submission you are blissfully unaware! It’s not ideal I know but I’m sure they will see what they need to see in order to make their decision which is going to be very largely based on physical attributes and facility. (And that’s a whole new or rather age old debate...) 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I’ve keep questioning the ‘fairness’. It makes me wonder if there will be some sort of shortlist made even before from the initial application photos, then a quick sweep of the first videos... 

In a ‘normal’ audition at least all children were given an equal environment, an equal amount of time and presumably an equal amount of consideration. If they didn’t shine in one place, they might have demonstrated potential elsewhere. 

I feel a slight discomfort that a ‘no/not yet’ might raise more questions this year than a ‘normal’ audition. It might leave a lingering after though as to was my child given a fair chance.... 

Lingering doubts that will never really be resolved I guess. 

Yes I'd had the same thoughts. I really hope they haven't already ruled some out by photos, I hadn't thought of that. (Checking photos again!). My DDs legs have had a growth spurt since the pictures and her plie is also much better after lots of practise. Surely they have to at least consider everyone's videos?

We'll never know but I'm sure due to the different audition process there wil be some kids who get in, who otherwise wouldn't have and visa versa.

I hope they at least watch past the 'standing still listening' bit! 😂

• Like 1

@Spamcat @Millicent My DS’s photos are the same. He’s had such a dramatic growth spurt in the last 6 months, and his various zoom classes over lockdown have been surprisingly effective and really helped him improve. They feel ‘too old’ already and I don’t feel they typically reflect where he is currently at. It would be ashame if they’re making an assumption on a dancers suitability from old photos and a two minute glance of an audition video. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Millicent said:

My DD's body also looks completely different now to the photos from 9 months ago. Back then her torso looked long in comparison to her legs and now her legs look really long! 

My DD is exactly the same! It is like her legs have suddenly caught up. 😂

My dd has done her video audition for Leeds today. I'm currently trying to upload it to YouTube, it estimates 3 hours - is this what other people experienced?! 🤔 The file is 3GB. Thanks.

Estimate was way off, its uploaded already!

Edited by BalletmumH
Update

7 hours ago, danceparent said:

From our experience of ‘live’ auditions, from associates to companies, quick decisions are made in those situations too as to who is of interest and who not and candidates can be ‘dismissed’ and given very little/no attention after just a few minutes. At least via zoom/video submission you are blissfully unaware! It’s not ideal I know but I’m sure they will see what they need to see in order to make their decision which is going to be very largely based on physical attributes and facility. (And that’s a whole new or rather age old debate...) 

Yes, I agree with that too. In any situation, I’m sure their attention will hone in on a few candidates, and the notion of ‘fairness’ is probably highly subjective. Because this is such a different audition process, my feeling is that it will never be truly established if it’s ‘fair’ or not. If it’s indeed possible to see if the video has been watched and for how long, that might be something I prefer to make myself blissfully unaware of. Because if it wasn’t watched for long, it might fan the flames of the notion of unfairness. 

As others have said,the panel definitely don't watch all candidates equally in most auditions. Or at least that was my, now adult, DD's experience. She probably didn't notice it at such a young age but as she got older she was definitely aware of whether she was of interest to the panel or not.

Obviously when dealing with very young children audition panels are kinder and I am sure they try to make it less obvious, but most of the time they probably do make their minds up quite quickly. 

Of course the video audition is new so its natural to worry if your child has been treated fairly, and it does make differences more obvious, but please don't think that all candidates get equal attention in a live audition whereas video candidates don't. Remember that "yes" decisions can also sometimes be made very quickly so a short viewing doesn't necessarily mean a "no". 

My advice would be not to try to analyse anything as it has the capacity to drive you mad. Both from personal experience and from reading others' experiences on here over many years I have concluded that the best policy for an audition is to show up, be yourself, do your best and forget about it. It is impossible to ever know for sure what precisely any panel wants - only they know that. Its so easy to get into the habit of trying to interpret every little thing, like what is the significance of the group or number your DC was given, were the dancers who were asked to do something different the definite yesses or the maybes etc etc. But you can't know. And it is a stressful enough experience as it is without added pressure. So I would say, enjoy the experience, treat every audition as a class that can be learned from and(when live!) an opportunity to visit a different place and then put it from your mind til the results come. If its then a yes, that's great, but if not, its hopefully still been a positive experience and you are no worse off. "Nos" are hard  but there are more of them than "yesses" by a long way. Remember that only something like 1:10 are accepted at JA auditions. I always reminded my DD that she was still the same dancer, and more importantly the same person, after she opened a result as she was before. The words on a letter or email didn't make her any better or worse.

Sorry, I've rambled as usual. But basically, have fun and don't tie yourself in knots trying to understand audition panels!

• Like 12

@Pups_mum That’s not a ramble at all, it’s a lovely way to articulate the realities and complexities of this crazy audition world. I think that it’s great advice not to try and analyse, because I’m sure I will just drive myself mad in the process and be no more wiser than if I didn’t :) 

I’m sure people will be having these conversations in 10 years time and still be asking the same question! 

Hi everyone, 

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. Has anyone had an email yet for the JA Year 4/5 video auditions for Group 3 (including Eastleigh) yet? My phone has been playing up and I’m not sure all my emails have been coming through recently. Many thanks! 

Edited by BillyElliot1
Extra information

Timing of results

I emailed the auditions team to ask when we might be informed of the results, and this is what they said:

‘We are aiming to let all applicants know their results a month after their video submission date. This may vary slightly, but you will not have to wait until the end of the audition process in order to find out the results. (Unless you are in the last group!)’

• Like 2

That’s good to know that the group 3 email has now been sent, hopefully we aren’t far off results for group 1 then🤞Is anyone else waiting as impatiently as me?! I worked out that if it was the same amount of time from closing date to results released as the year 6 video submissions then that would be next Monday, although I was hoping (perhaps in vain) that we may hear a bit sooner as I imagine there were less auditioning for London 4/5 than the whole of year 6 across all 9 centres, perhaps I’m wrong?! 

1 minute ago, PurplePirouette said:

That’s good to know that the group 3 email has now been sent, hopefully we aren’t far off results for group 1 then🤞Is anyone else waiting as impatiently as me?! I worked out that if it was the same amount of time from closing date to results released as the year 6 video submissions then that would be next Monday, although I was hoping (perhaps in vain) that we may hear a bit sooner as I imagine there were less auditioning for London 4/5 than the whole of year 6 across all 9 centres, perhaps I’m wrong?! 

Me!

I guess next Tuesday will be three weeks from closing date so it could be anytime from next Tuesday to the following one. They did say it would be a full month but fingers crossed!