RBS JA YEAR 4&5 Video Audition 2020

Balletbuds80

10 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Blimey - still a wait for us Birmingham then! 

I have very little hope of success for DD as not sure she fits the JA profile but nothing ventured nothing gained 😊

Indeed. But at least there’s Elmhurst to look forwards to. Only thinking hypothetically, but elmhurst will be well under way by the time RBS Birmingham applicants are informed. There’s nothing to say the class times aren’t the same etc...

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Indeed. But at least there’s Elmhurst to look forwards to. Only thinking hypothetically, but elmhurst will be well under way by the time RBS Birmingham applicants are informed. There’s nothing to say the class times aren’t the same etc...

There are several kids that do both in Birmingham. Elmhurst is in the morning and JAs in the afternoon.

We applied in Bath last year as it is nearer us and my DD was the second from last in the audition which is in age order. She looked so tiny! This year we are going for Birmingham as she wants to carry on with Elmhurst. In fact we love Elmhurst so much if it came down to a choice we would stay at Elmhurst!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

There are several kids that do both in Birmingham. Elmhurst is in the morning and JAs in the afternoon.

We applied in Bath last year as it is nearer us and my DD was the second from last in the audition which is in age order. She looked so tiny! This year we are going for Birmingham as she wants to carry on with Elmhurst. In fact we love Elmhurst so much if it came down to a choice we would stay at Elmhurst!

We only just relocated to the midlands, but feel so fortunate that Elmhurst is only a half hour drove away. We applied for RBS London last year. My DS was second to last too! It literally went tallest to shortest,m. He sounded like he had a bit of an awful audition and actually slipped over. He was offered SWL that came to nothing. So we will try again. But purely for experience and without expectation.

59 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

I've seen so many people post stuff like this and then get a place, you really never know!! Good luck. Which year Birmingham is your DD going for?

Year 5 - she's also starting at Elmhurst where I think your DD is at so hopefully will see you there 😊

50 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Year 5 - she's also starting at Elmhurst where I think your DD is at so hopefully will see you there 😊

Were you on the forum last year going for a yr 4 place? I feel like I recognise your name.

1 hour ago, Spamcat said:

@BalletBoysDad that is lucky, we are nearly 2 hours away. We take it in turns to drive there with DDs friend though. Sounds like he has a really good chance if he got SWL last year!

I thought he would have a decent chance based on last year. But this years’ audition will be so different, we’re going on the assumption that it’s just good experience. 

48 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Were you on the forum last year going for a yr 4 place? I feel like I recognise your name.

No first time going for any associates this year 😊

I was on the forum last year asking about Midland Theatre Ballet though so maybe where you know my name from?

I can't see that there would be any point in waiting to give all results together at the end e.g. there will be no crossover between London auditions and Leeds/Dundee so I would have thought they would give results in centre order. But just guessing here.

4 hours ago, Millicent said:

I can't see that there would be any point in waiting to give all results together at the end e.g. there will be no crossover between London auditions and Leeds/Dundee so I would have thought they would give results in centre order. But just guessing here.

I would think the same. They’d give themselves a lot of ‘acceptance admin’ holding onto results to give them out all in one go. But just a guess too. 

We applied to London last year, which was the last set of results to be given out. The wait felt agonising, as results were released in order of audition centre. We’ve applied to Birmingham this year, which is, ironically, last to be given out 🤦‍♂️😂

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Grammar

Well, we filmed my pupil’s audition yesterday! She loved doing it and I thought parts 1 and 2 went well for her. Her improvisation was beautiful, but the end of part 3 was very ropey! Desperately wanted to give her another go but resisted temptation! I strongly suspect that to save time, they will watch part 1 and reject most at that stage based on the body shape they’re looking for (which seems to change with the wind!), then do another cull after part 2 and only watch part 3 if they’re really interested... But that is pure prophecy. No idea when we’re likely to get results so we’re just going to have to try to forget about it. Chukkas everyone, and maybe see some of you at Tring on 5th September?

1 hour ago, MissEmily said:

Well, we filmed my pupil’s audition yesterday! She loved doing it and I thought parts 1 and 2 went well for her. Her improvisation was beautiful, but the end of part 3 was very ropey! Desperately wanted to give her another go but resisted temptation! I strongly suspect that to save time, they will watch part 1 and reject most at that stage based on the body shape they’re looking for (which seems to change with the wind!), then do another cull after part 2 and only watch part 3 if they’re really interested... But that is pure prophecy. No idea when we’re likely to get results so we’re just going to have to try to forget about it. Chukkas everyone, and maybe see some of you at Tring on 5th September?

Well done to your pupil and good luck!

I think you are probably right, actually I suspect they will watch some for just a few seconds and decide no, there will be so many to get through!

I am interested that you said 'your pupil' so you are her teacher not her parent? I was wondering if we could do DDs audition in the studio with her teacher (mainly due to bad lighting and lack of space at home) but I didn't know if that was allowed?

Edited by Spamcat
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Well done to your pupil and good luck!

I think you are probably right, actually I suspect they will watch some for just a few seconds and decide no, there will be so many to get through!

I am interested that you said 'your pupil' so you are her teacher not her parent? I was wondering if we could do DDs audition in the studio with her teacher (mainly due to bad lighting and lack of space at home) but I didn't know if that was allowed?

I went to her home to do it, with social distancing observed, which was not easy! Her parents both work full-time, have English as a second language, know nothing about ballet and have a 2 year-old so given that I COULD help out, I thought I would! It would have been me taking her to her audition anyway, and we had a lovely time doing it 😊

• Like 2

I did my DD's yesterday too. In some of it she looked really good but she did make a few mistakes. But hopefully they are expecting that as they emphasised not to refilm and just to carry on if you make a mistake. I also figure that it shows that we followed the rules and didn't practice in advance. And she is only 8! 

You really need very little space, as long as you can lie down on the floor sideways to the camera. So relieved to have it over and done with! 

• Like 3

I just want to wish everyone good luck with their auditions. Fingers crossed for you all. 

About the split of classes. At DDs centre there are 2 classes. One for year 6 and one for year 4/5. Last year 10 year 4s got places and I think there were about 10 year 5s in the class. All those year 5s will now be  yr 6 and they’ll have added to that (I’m not sure how many were in the year 6 class). And DD and her 9 year 4 class mates will now be Yr5 leaving approx 10 places to fill with a mix of year 4 and 5. 

Obviously London will be very different as they have more classes and I don’t know what the other regional centres are like but I hope this helps. 

Best of luck everyone. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I just want to wish everyone good luck with their auditions. Fingers crossed for you all. 

About the split of classes. At DDs centre there are 2 classes. One for year 6 and one for year 4/5. Last year 10 year 4s got places and I think there were about 10 year 5s in the class. All those year 5s will now be  yr 6 and they’ll have added to that (I’m not sure how many were in the year 6 class). And DD and her 9 year 4 class mates will now be Yr5 leaving approx 10 places to fill with a mix of year 4 and 5. 

Obviously London will be very different as they have more classes and I don’t know what the other regional centres are like but I hope this helps. 

Best of luck everyone. 

Thank you very much for that info, really appreciated, That would suggest that most Y5 places are taken by the current Y4 children, and the bulk order of the places available will be Y4, maybe with a slim chance of a couple of additions to Y5? Unless they decide to take fewer year 4s purposely to take a few more y5s? (Not that me knowing this will make any difference :) ) Were applying for Birmingham so I imagine there will of course be fewer classes than London too. 

47 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Thank you very much for that info, really appreciated, That would suggest that most Y5 places are taken by the current Y4 children, and the bulk order of the places available will be Y4, maybe with a slim chance of a couple of additions to Y5? Unless they decide to take fewer year 4s purposely to take a few more y5s? (Not that me knowing this will make any difference :) ) Were applying for Birmingham so I imagine there will of course be fewer classes than London too. 

I think they only have so many places and will take the children they want without trying to fill specific year 4/5 places. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it. I know I did last year 😁

Edited by SJBallet
Edited as I posted before reading the full post and my reply didn’t make sense 😳

10 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

I think they only have so many places and will take the children they want without trying to fill specific year 4/5 places. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to make sense of it. I know I did last year 😁

Well said 😂 Yes, that was my presumption, that they’ll take who they like and massage out the numbers accordingly, rather than sticking to a rigid quota per year group.  As that would mean even fewer opportunities for those who didn’t start at Y4. 

Has anyone received any kind of confirmation after sending in their videos? Just a bit concerned that after submitting the video form it said "you will hear from us shortly" as I assumed that meant a confirmation email perhaps later that day, rather than getting the results in, presumably, a month's time? 

1 minute ago, Millicent said:

Has anyone received any kind of confirmation after sending in their videos? Just a bit concerned that after submitting the video form it said "you will hear from us shortly" as I assumed that meant a confirmation email perhaps later that day, rather than getting the results in, presumably, a month's time? 

We are not at this stage yet but they will have a list and I am sure would contact you if you hadn’t submitted your application by the deadline. You could always email and ask for receipt of email? 
Does it say what application must be used? Is it Dropbox? Vimeo? YouTube?

Good luck and hope you hear soon 

We filmed ours this afternoon, she enjoyed it but was totally thrown by the improvisation - it’s not something she ever does in class so she found that really hard and just froze (despite the fact that she dances rather than walks everywhere normally 😂). It was a really good experience for her though and hopefully next time she’ll feel more prepared ☺️ Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 1