Perm Ballet streamings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, alison said:

I didn't know anyone else apart from the Royal Ballet did Winter Dreams!

K-Ballet Company in Japan did Winter Dreams 14 years ago, with Viviana Durante and Tetsuya Kumakawa. (That's all I know)

Perm's DonQ was very nice yesterday. I was impressed by the Queen of the Dryads' superb set of Italian fouettes which are fiendishly difficult and Kitri's 32+ fouettes in the gpdd were rock solid ending perfectly en pointe facing the audience. Brava to both ladies! 

• Like 2

What a treat to finally see some Ashton! And well danced. It brought back happy memories of SWRB doing it, not to mention BRB later and the Royal. But how sad that it's a Russian, not an English, company that offers the first Ashton offering. And another treat to see Winter Dreams, one of MacMillan's better ballets because there's no padding, and some expressive choreography, as ever.

The Perm company has an impressive range of ballets, from all the major masters. I saw them at the Robbins season in Paris in 2018 and, although I admired their enthusiasm, I feel the quality of their dancing in the 3 ballets we saw today, filmed in 2019, plus in their DON Q, is even better.

If times were different I'd be hoping they could have a London season.

• Like 6

On 23/05/2020 at 17:52, Two Pigeons said:

Shame the telly cast was so dark but terrific shots of Wicky at the end.

Yes I found it all very dark - I increased the TV brightness which helped a bit but overall the theatre should have lit the stage mush brighter for the filming performance.  That said, the best lit of the 3 pieces was Les Patineurs and what a treat it was to see Les Patineurs - I loved it!  Perm really so seem to be a very nice company I have been impressed with what I have seen so far.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Last night  I watched the latest Perm offering. It was The Bluebird and Princess Florine- so explained the backstory of the Bluebird pas de deux. It's a complicated fairy story with a bad fairy, a bit like Carabosse but younger and better looking, who abducts the princess and later transforms the prince she's in love with into a bluebird, but they are rescued by 2 good fairies. The performance was from several years ago and the standard of dancing was variable but the main dancer, the princess (the prince and bluebird were danced by 2 different dancers, of very different height and technical ability), Natalia Dromatchova, was good, had a nice lyrical quality.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Perhaps some will be interested in Perm Ballet's version of La Fille Mal Gardee ...

Thanks, Bruce.  Considering it's by another choreographer entirely, it would appear to be quite similar to the Ashton version.  Have we missed it?  I'm losing track of how long the Perm ones stay up for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

Thanks, Bruce.  Considering it's by another choreographer entirely, it would appear to be quite similar to the Ashton version.  Have we missed it?  I'm losing track of how long the Perm ones stay up for.

Not sure, Alison, I'm afraid.  I think it's either two or three days.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Perhaps some will be interested in Perm Ballet's version of La Fille Mal Gardee ...

The Russian Fille Mal Gardee version that I’m really hoping will be streamed is Vikharev’s reconstruction of the Petipa edition, at the Ural Ballet company of Ekaterinburg!

• Like 1

I watched the Perm Fille last night. Given that it's based on Dauberval's plot , like Ashton's, there are very many similarities, Pantomime dame for the widow, use of ribbons, thunderstorm, kitchen scene etc, although there are no human hens or real ponies. Alain's umbrella is green not red. The mime that Karsavina taught Ashton from the Petipa production is not replicated, although there are a couple of allusions to similar daydreams. The music is by Peter Hertel , like most Russian versions, until the third act when suddenly it changes to Delibes and Coppelia. The choreography is mostly by Kirill Smorgover, apart from the pas de deux in the harvest scene, which is by Gorsky- and the clog dance is by Petipa! Most of the choreography is pleasant enough but nothing like the quality of Ashton's masterpiece. Perhaps the biggest difference is that the humour is played just for laughs, there is none of the humanity that is so integral to Ashton's version, so Alain and the widow are just comic characters.

The performance was filmed in 2018. Lise is Elizabeta Domracheva who has a good technique and is charming and amusing, she makes a good Lise. Colas was Ivan Surodeev.

The night before I'd seen the Perm Sylphide. It was produced by Elsa von Rosen, so is authentic Bournonville. The sylphide was Ksenia Barbashyova who is an elegant dancer with very graceful hands and arms. James was Nikita  Cherverikovi.

If you like Bournonville it's worth watching this performance (2017)

• Like 3

La Bayadere with Osipova, Alexandrovna and Lantratov.  From 11 June.

Watch out for the scene with the snake charmer at the beginning of act 3. A scene which Ratmansky reinstated in his reconstruction for Berlin.

And for extras, the theatre conscripted some Indian students who were studying  medicine at the Perm university. Just for an authentic touch.

• Like 3

Well that was a thrilling watch- really enjoyed it and what a cast of principals. Would love to have seen that live.

Really liked the costumes too. Screen was too dark in some parts - particularly the shades scene, which was behind a screen as well. 

grateful to see this production and would love a DVD to add to my collection 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a livestream as such but a friend sent me this YouTube link to a Shostokovich Ballet performed by Perm called Hypothetically Murdered. It's only short (about fifty minutes) and is very jazzy. You can see bits similar to Bright Stream and Golden Age with possibly a bit of the Bolt as well. There is also a link to plot but even with it I didn't know what was happening later on but it's still intriguing and possibly worth a look.

https://permopera.ru/en/playbills/repertoire/68233/

Edited by jmhopton
spelling