Alina Cojocaru Interview/Podcast thewonderfulworldofdance.com

Haven't found this posted elsewhere on the forum, so thought I would post it.

An interview with Alina Cojocaru by Savannah Saunders for thewonderfulworldofdance.com 

https://www.thewonderfulworldofdance.com/alina-cojocaru-principal-ballerina-creating-new-show-love-dance-unexpected-words-wisdom

talking about her forthcoming Sadler's Wells show, and much more besides. 

It's great stuff, I can't remember ever seeing/hearing such a long interview with AC before. Her thoughts on personal development I found particularly striking and powerful - she could become a motivational speaker if she wanted!   

I found it from AC's own twitter feed. 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 3

On 27/01/2020 at 10:52, SPD444 said:

I have to say that ticket sales for her performances do look very “slow”. There appears to be a lot of unsold seats still available, which does surprise me.

I don’t know if this offers any insight, but I’m not going because the programme doesn’t do much for me and I feel there are better opportunities to see Cojocaru with ENB.

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

I don’t know if this offers any insight, but I’m not going because the programme doesn’t do much for me and I feel there are better opportunities to see Cojocaru with ENB.

I am going especially to see Alina in Ashton’s Marguerite & Armand.  It’s a ballet she has performed elsewhere, but never in the UK.  I am sure her performance will be fabulous whoever partners her.  (Hopefully one of RB principals.)

The other pieces will be interesting but I agree starters to the main course. 

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well, not so far this season, alas..............She danced only one performance of Nutcracker at the Coli and I didn't see her on tour with Cinderella or Le Corsaire either last autumn (I don't think she was cast).

Next up for ENB is Akram Khan's The Creature and then it's Swan Lake in the round.

None of that augurs well for seeing Alina which is why I've booked for as many of her own shows as possible.

Kobborg is clearly part of this programme which reminded me that the bill he put on at QEH many years ago was superb so maybe this could be too. 

I will certainly go if she invites Friedemann Vogel to dance Armand !  She could do with a big name to help shift the 100s of unsold tickets (it looks a disaster at the moment) and I'm not sure he's  well known enough here to make a significant difference. 

Edited by annamk
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sim said:

Are they going to let us know the Armand in advance?  Wonder if it will be Polunin??!!

Presumably if they are going to announce in advance it must happen soon as we're only about 2 weeks away...I was also thinking it could be Polunin given they recently danced Kobborg's Romeo and Juliet together, and I believe (?) he's dancing/danced the Armand in her Dream Programme in Japan which has a near identical repertoire to this one. Haven't been following this closely though so could be totally wrong/things may have changed!

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Well, not so far this season, alas..............She danced only one performance of Nutcracker at the Coli and I didn't see her on tour with Cinderella or Le Corsaire either last autumn (I don't think she was cast).

Next up for ENB is Akram Khan's The Creature and then it's Swan Lake in the round.

None of that augurs well for seeing Alina which is why I've booked for as many of her own shows as possible.

Yes Alina hasn't really done much with ENB recently, which is a shame. I know she was ill for Le Corsaire in London which is completely out of anyone's control but as you say she wasn't cast in Le Corsaire outside of London and I don't know how involved she'll be in the new Creature work. She seems to be focussing a lot on doing other projects such as Romeo and Juliet and solo shows, which is completely fair but equally I hope this doesn't mean she is less involved with ENB (currently to me she feels more like a guest principal rather than a full time one, whether this is a fair comment or not I think only time will tell). 

I do hope ticket sales pick up - I agree the repertoire is perhaps a bit hit and miss and wouldn't necessarily be enough to entice someone who isn't an Alina fan but I was sold with Marguerite and Armand and the fact that Kobborg is involved also bodes well I think. 

• Like 2

The programme for Alina’s show in Japan is very different to London ....

as Japan includes Kimin Kim, Alina Somova, Nancy Osbaldeston, Osiel Gouneo.  

5/6 February is Ballet Imperial (with Vogel) plus Don Q divertissements 

8/9/11 February is Marguerite & Armand (Polunin) plus variety of other pieces only 1 of which is also at Sadlers Wells (Rushton pdd for Johan and Alina)

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/program-and-cast-updates-alina-cojocaru-dream-project-2020.html

https://www.biwako-hall.or.jp/en/performance/2019/03/alina-cojocaru-dream-project-2020.html

Edited by FionaE
Add links
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, alison said:

I wonder if the fact that she was announced as injured for Le Corsaire has also affected sales.

It would have to be a very serious injury to affect the Sadlers Wells shows which are 5/6 weeks after the Le Corsaire and 70th gala cancellations.  She also cancelled Nutcracker with ENB a week or so before ‘due to illness’.  

I prefer to think all the ENB cancellations in December and early January may have been precautionary.  I hope!

Edited by FionaE
Clarification

Cancellations over Christmas period include also Hamburg Ballet Nutcrackers, but finally Alina Cojocaru was back on stage in Hamburg on Sunday dancing Laura in The Glass Menagerie.

She is scheduled to dance this role also tonight and I presume she danced it also yesterday (the ballet at the moment has just one cast...).

I think we can really be confident that her injury is over 🙂

In the past she danced Marguerite & Armand with Robert Enache in Bucharest and with Friedemann Vogel in New York (in one of her ballet galas in favour of Hospice of Hope): I'd love so much to see her again with Vogel, probably one of her very best partners after Johan Kobborg's golden era (I cannot forget their wonderful performances of Derek Deane Romeo and Juliet!)

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, annamicro said:

In the past she danced Marguerite & Armand with Robert Enache in Bucharest and with Friedemann Vogel in New York (in one of her ballet galas in favour of Hospice of Hope): I'd love so much to see her again with Vogel, probably one of her very best partners after Johan Kobborg's golden era (I cannot forget their wonderful performances of Derek Deane Romeo and Juliet!)

I was unable to attend that New York gala, but I believe that she and Friedemann danced only excerpts from M&A that evening.  They danced the entire work (wonderfully) with Sarasota Ballet in New York in the 2016 Fall for Dance festival.

They also danced the MacMillan Romeo & Juliet on tour with La Scala Ballet in Tokyo in 2013, IIRC. 

I agree wholeheatedly with your assessment of their partnership.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, now voyager said:

I was unable to attend that New York gala, but I believe that she and Friedemann danced only excerpts from M&A that evening.  They danced the entire work (wonderfully) with Sarasota Ballet in New York in the 2016 Fall for Dance festival.

They also danced the MacMillan Romeo & Juliet on tour with La Scala Ballet in Tokyo in 2013, IIRC. 

I agree wholeheatedly with your assessment of their partnership.

You are right, the gala was in 2015, they danced the whole ballet in 2016: I mixed up the two having not attendet to any...

I missed also Tokyo Romeo and Juliet with La Scala (but some clips were available on youtube!) having seen the 5 Juliet she danced in Milan, unfortunatley with the much less interesting Bolle and Sutera...

On 31/01/2020 at 13:05, FionaE said:

The programme for Alina’s show in Japan is very different to London ....

as Japan includes Kimin Kim, Alina Somova, Nancy Osbaldeston, Osiel Gouneo.  

5/6 February is Ballet Imperial (with Vogel) plus Don Q divertissements 

8/9/11 February is Marguerite & Armand (Polunin) plus variety of other pieces only 1 of which is also at Sadlers Wells (Rushton pdd for Johan and Alina)

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/program-and-cast-updates-alina-cojocaru-dream-project-2020.html

https://www.biwako-hall.or.jp/en/performance/2019/03/alina-cojocaru-dream-project-2020.html

Based on social media posts by Johan Kobborg and others: it seems that Yasmine Naghdi is replacing Alina Cojocaru, and Naghdi will be dancing "Ballet Imperial" with Friedmann Vogel in Tokyo on 5th and 6th February. 

Here is the cast change announcement in Japanese, as I could not find the English announcement. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/publish/news/2020/02/-2020-3.html

Cojocaru is dancing a pas de deux from Manon Act 1 with Vogel, and  Yasmine Naghdi (who happened to be in Tokyo because there was a gala by 10 RB dancers) will dance Ballet Imperial. Also Somova will not come so they invited Madoka Sugai of Hamburg Ballet and Elisa Badenes of Stuttgart Ballet to fill in.  Sergei Polunin will only be  dancing in Marguerite and Armand on Saturday and Sunday. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Here is the cast change announcement in Japanese, as I could not find the English announcement. 

Cojocaru is dancing a pas de deux from Manon Act 1 with Vogel, and  Yasmine Naghdi (who happened to be in Tokyo because there was a gala by 10 RB dancers) will dance Ballet Imperial. Also Somova will not come so they invited Madoka Sugai of Hamburg Ballet and Elisa Badenes of Stuttgart Ballet to fill in.  Sergei Polunin will only be  dancing in Marguerite and Armand on Saturday and Sunday. 

Yes it seems Alina is carrying an injury or was injured further in Hamburg.  So she is scaling back her participation in Japan.

To clarify Sergei Polunin is also due to dance in M&A with Alina in Otsu-Shiga (Osaka) on Tuesday 11/2.

Here is the revised programme

(apologies for poor translation by google):

2020/02/03 NEW
<Arena Kojokar Dream Project 2020> Announcement of performers and program changes

The performers of <Arena Kojokar Dream Project 2020>, which will be on their first day on February 5, are coming to Japan one after another. I'll let you know.

Initially, Kojokar was scheduled to appear in Ballet Imperial in the A program, but was injured in a rehearsal just before coming to Japan and was unable to perform in the same work that was physically demanding. As a result, the performances had to be changed, and the first act, Pas de Dou, was performed from Friedemann Vogel and Manon. Jasmine Nagdi (Royal Ballet Principal, UK) will soon be replacing Ballet Imperial instead of Kojokar. In addition, we have made adjustments so that we can perform in "Don Quixote @ Divertisman", but we would like to acknowledge that the final appearance will be announced on the day.

Sergey Polunin will only appear in "Marguerite and Armand" in the B program (Tokyo) and the C program (Otsu). Also, Arena Somowa has been unable to come to Japan due to sudden personal circumstances.

Due to these last minute changes, with special consideration from the Hamburg Ballet Company and the Stuttgart Ballet Company, which are closely related to the Foundation, Enka Sugai (Principal of the Hamburg Ballet Company) in the A / B program and Elisa S. in the B program. Two principals, Badenes (Stuttgart Ballet Principal), have been sent.

We apologize to the people who were looking forward to the performance for the announcement of the performers and the performances that were announced at the beginning because of multiple reasons. The program after the change is as follows. We appreciate your understanding of this change.

NBS / Japan Performing Arts Foundation

<Arena Kojokar Dream Project 2020>

A Program Performances and Performers

"Ballet Imperial"
Choreography: George Baranshin Music: Peter Tchaikovsky
Yasmin Nagdi-Friedemann Vogel
Miyuki Nakagawa
Miyagawa Shindai-Ryunosuke Ikukata
Hitomi Kaneko-Akiyama Ai
Tokyo Ballet

"Pirates"
Choreography: Marius Petipa Music: Riccardo Dorrigo
Enga Sugai, Osir Guneo

"Edit" (New World Premiere)
Choreography: Nancy Osbaldeston Music: Edith Piaf
Nancy Osbaldeston

"ABC"
Choreography: Eric Gautier Music: Philip Kanicht
Johan Kobo

From "Manon" パ Pas de Do in Act 1
Choreography: Kenneth MacMillan Music: Jules Masne
Arena Kojokar, Friedemann Vogel

"Don Quixote Divertisman"
Choreography: Marius Petipa Music: Leon Minx
Nancy Osbaldeston, Enka Sugai
Osir Guneo, Kim Kim Min, Johan Kobo
Tokyo Ballet

* Arena Kojokar will be announced on the day of the event.

Conductor: Katsuhiro Ida
Performance: Theater Orchestra Tokyo
Piano: Kyohei Imaizumi ("Ballet Imperial")
* "ABC" and "Edit" will be performed on recorded sound sources.

<Arena Kojokar Dream Project 2020>
B Program Performances and Performers

"Diana and Acteon"
Choreography: Agrippina Vaganova, Music: Cesare Puni
Nancy Osbaldeston, Osir Guneo

From "Vaslav"
Choreography: John Neumeier Music: Johann Sebastian Bach
Enga Sugai

"Reminiscence" (New World Premiere)
Choreography: Tim Rushton, Music: Alvo Pelt
Arena Kojokar, Johan Kobo

"Edit" (New World Premiere)
Choreography: Nancy Osbaldeston, Music: Edith Piaf
Nancy Osbaldeston

"Legend"
Choreography: John Kranko Music: Henrik Wienyawski
Elisa Badenes, Friedemann Vogel

"Pirates"
Choreography: Marius Petipa Music: Riccardo Dorrigo
Enga Sugai, Kim Kimmin

"Marguerite and Armand" full version
Choreography: Frederick Ashton Music: Franz Liszt
Marguerite: Arena Kojokar
Armand: Sergey Polunin
Armand's Father: Johann Kobo
Tokyo Ballet
Piano: Ana Silvestri (Marguerite and Armand)

* Except for "Marguerite and Alman"

* Performers and performances are scheduled as of February 3, 2020. Please note that it may change depending on the performer's injury, illness, or other circumstances. No refunds or changes to performance dates or ticket types will be given. Official performers and performances will be announced on the day.

* The performers and programs of the Otsu performance on 2/11 (Tuesday / holiday) will be announced on our homepage as soon as they are decided.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Naomi M said:

hi Naomi

thank you for the information.  Do you know specifically that Sergei does not dance M&A in Otsu on Tuesday 11th February?  

That is such super short notice for Yasmine Naghdi to replace Alina Cojocaru...two days (according to IG) to learn Balanchine's "Ballet Imperial", dancing with new partner Friedmann Vogel, and be on stage tomorrow night 😱😱. I believe she has never danced "Ballet Imperial", this will be a debut prepared for in two days. Wishing Yasmine Naghdi and Friedmann Vogel much success, as well as all the other dancers involved!

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

That is such super short notice for Yasmine Naghdi to replace Alina Cojocaru...two days (according to IG) to learn Balanchine's "Ballet Imperial", dancing with new partner Friedmann Vogel, and be on stage tomorrow night 😱😱. I believe she has never danced "Ballet Imperial", this will be a debut prepared for in two days. Wishing Yasmine Naghdi and Friedmann Vogel much success, as well as all the other dancers involved!

I am sure she will be amazing.  She has formidable technique as well as innate elegance.   I do hope we get a short clip or two 🤞

Indeed...Miss Naghdi had 72 hours to learn Ballet Imperial...she had never danced it, and had never danced with Friedemann Vogel, either.  I hear that there was huge applause for them, and I'm sure there will be tomorrow night as well.  A wonderful achievement.  How I would love to see them dance together!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Indeed...Miss Naghdi had 72 hours to learn Ballet Imperial...she had never danced it, and had never danced with Friedemann Vogel, either.  I hear that there was huge applause for them, and I'm sure there will be tomorrow night as well.  A wonderful achievement.  How I would love to see them dance together!

has Friedemann ever guested at ROH?   Would be so good .....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

He's guested with ENB - he was fabulous in Manon with Daria Klimentova.

He certainly was.  He guested a few times with ENB as he was Daria’s favourite partner pre-Vadim Muntagirov...and who can blame her?!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FionaE said:

hi Naomi

thank you for the information.  Do you know specifically that Sergei does not dance M&A in Otsu on Tuesday 11th February?  

Currently it is announced Segei Polunin will dance Armand in Tokyo and Biwako (Ohtsu) .

btw I will be interviewing him on Friday (unfortunately in Japanese though but will go online) 

18 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

The SW website now gives Francesco Gabriel Frola as Armand, such a shame about the slow ticket sales.

Awesome, I loved him in Le Corsaire, his jumps werea thing of beauty.  If he's in it I'll definitely see if I can afford a ticket.