Filming/DVDs Royal Ballet

I know cinema screening dates are published, but I am trying to understand if there is a direct  relationship between RB production dates that are listed as "filming", and the subsequent production of DVDs. Can we necessarily expect the latter from the former?  And can a  DVD only materialise from a "filming"?

• Like 1

First question is a definite "no" - apart from anything else, there were the Nutcrackers last season which were used for the BBC Nutcracker documentary.  Second question, I'd guess to all intents and purposes "yes", as the companies can no longer afford to do studio filming as they did, say, for the recordings of Winter Dreams and The Judas Tree back in the '90s.

• Like 1

Filming/streaming/DVDs seem to be very much focused on recording a few of the same, longer-serving principals.It would be good to have wider representation of some of the younger lead dancers but perhaps the RB goes for what they think will be most popular and generally better known. 

Edited by Richard LH
Sp.

Not only that, but if we're looking long-term, it may make sense to keep the younger lead ones for later.  If you're expecting a principal career of 10 years or more, a few years down the line we're going to be complaining about currently-young dancer X hogging all the limelight/dancing Nutcracker yet again, otherwise :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Filming/streaming/DVDs seem to be very much focused on recording a few of the same, longer-serving principals.It would be good to have wider representation of some of the younger lead dancers but perhaps the RB goes for what they think will be most popular and generally better known. 

I believe that Kevin O'Hare has mentioned a deliberate policy of fielding the 'big names' for cinema relays. This is fair enough - after all, it would not be prudent to expose dancers making their debuts and there is a worldwide audience (and DVD/BluRay sales!) to consider.  But, in my view, year on year repetition in the leading roles (e.g  Nutcracker and The Winter's Tale) is not acceptable.

However,  we must fear not: the younger dancers' time will come for sure :) And, after all, they are often featured already on the live relays of Insight evenings.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 22:05, alison said:

Not only that, but if we're looking long-term, it may make sense to keep the younger lead ones for later.  If you're expecting a principal career of 10 years or more, a few years down the line we're going to be complaining about currently-young dancer X hogging all the limelight/dancing Nutcracker yet again, otherwise :)

Except we can't be sure how long any of these younger principals will be fit, and available to the RB. Also the older leads that currently seem favoured for filming, were also featured on many DVDs when they were much younger !   

So I am hoping for  a wider selection for the 2018/19 season..... 

• Like 6

On 3/25/2018 at 12:18, Richard LH said:

It makes sense that they do for cinema's and dvds. Speaking as someone on the west coast of the US, a lot of people who love ballet and want to see one of the best companies are very limited to like 6 performances a year. And in those 6 performances, most people want to see the top dancers. No offense to the younger dancers or the non-principals but if i'm only going to get 6 Royal Ballet performances and have to drive 70 miles to the theater to view it, I want to see Nunez, Lamb, McRae, Bonelli, Watson, etc . I want to see the best they have to offer. And from a financial standpoint, because they are there to make money, I'm sure (at least from talking to fellow cinema people in my area) most people don't want to pay to go see or buy a dvd for a soloist in a main role when you could have had an established principal. (I mean in the cinema) Ok, maybe i'd buy a dvd...Maybe.

I do see your point of views however, of wanting to see more of the younger talent get a chance, and I envy those of you who have a chance to watch them, but its not economically feasible for most people to fly to England to watch a performance. And I really appreciate that the Royal Ballet realizes that too.

Those principals you mention have been filmed already for quite a few years,  when they were younger. And there are equally accomplished younger principals around now. I just think it would be good to capture their performances at this stage in their careers.

True, but ROH had only begun regular cinema relays as far as I can tell around 2011. So while i'm sure there are dvds or a random tv recording out there of them in their earlier years, there aren't many. And its nothing against the younger/newer principals, I was just listing a few one would like to see as i'm sure we all know who the princpals are they dont all need listing. I was just attempting to point out that those of us not in the UK, or at least most people I would presume, would rather see a known dancer in a role than a random up and coming soloist or first soloist whom I have no doubt could fill the roles just fine.

• Like 1

Quite, but I think people were suggesting more that we see some of the younger principals, rather than soloists - I don't think there was any suggestion that we should drop below principal level for the main roles.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

It's a pity that this,wasn't included in the recent 3dvd set that's been issued to feature Marienela Nunez.

Yes it's 4 DVD's - La Fille mal gardée with Acosta 2005,  Swan Lake with Soares 2009, Don Quixote with Acosta 2013, and Giselle with Muntagirov 2016. Not bad value, I thought,  for £29.99 (less any Friend's discount).  And this supports my earlier point  that the older  leads that currently seem favoured for filming/DVDs, were also featured on many DVDs when they were much younger ! 

Edited by Richard LH

• 2 weeks later...

RB Cast lists now published  for the  filmed performances  in the Autumn:

Mayerling:  McRae, Lamb

La Bayadere : Nunez, Muntagirov*, Osipova

The Nutcracker: Nunez, Muntagirov

The  favouring of the well-established leads continues.....:unsure:

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes....much as we all love them, something a bit different might be nice.  I think the ROH should be showing the world how much talent it has at all levels right now.

Absolutely agree.  However, Muntagirov is still only 27 (well a couple of days off 28) and a lot of roles are as new to him, and to us watching him, as they are to the other twenty-somethings in the RB. And, since Kevin O'Hare seems to be mixing things up a bit, I rather fancy a Naghdi/Muntagirov combo myself.

• Like 2

I would like to know the thinking behind which performance is chosen as the one to be filmed.  It can't be because the powers that be think that the chosen cast are the best in the particular roles, because I would think that is an impossible judgement to make.  There are some wonderful principals at the moment, some long established, and some new and exciting, and each and every performance brings something unique.  On the other hand, none of them are known to the wider world in the way that Bussell was, are they?  Or are they?  Maybe I don't read the right news pages on line, but I don't remember seeing any names featuring in the media with any regularity.  

A question for Mr O'Hare at some future date?

17 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I would like to know the thinking behind which performance is chosen as the one to be filmed.  It can't be because the powers that be think that the chosen cast are the best in the particular roles, because I would think that is an impossible judgement to make.  There are some wonderful principals at the moment, some long established, and some new and exciting, and each and every performance brings something unique.  On the other hand, none of them are known to the wider world in the way that Bussell was, are they?  Or are they?  Maybe I don't read the right news pages on line, but I don't remember seeing any names featuring in the media with any regularity.  

A question for Mr O'Hare at some future date?

If you think this applies to very excellent principals at the Royal Ballet spare a thought for those of BRB and ENB.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

If you think this applies to very excellent principals at the Royal Ballet spare a thought for those of BRB and ENB.  

I think that what Fonty might be suggesting is that the people making the decisions about which dancers should feature in broadcasts or on DVDs might be overestimating the pulling power of some names, if indeed that is a factor. Bluntly: how many people on the street have heard of, for example, Nunez or Lamb, and does their casting make any significant difference to attendance at live relays?

And if Fonty isn't saying it, I am!

• Like 6

It won't be any consolation but I would say that there is greater variety in the RB cinema casts than the Bolshoi.

However, some of those RB names are recognised internationally and the RB does transmit to the world. At least with Bayadere there is a large cast and key roles like the three shades, golden idol etc. Mayerling also offers numerous opportunities to dancers. 

• Like 2

On 29/03/2018 at 11:26, TheaG said:

I'm still wishing they would  release a DVD of the 2014 live screening of Manon!

I cannot see one good reason why they didn't release this - the bedroom pdd is on Youtube (on the ROH's own channel) and it was a terrific cast.  I asked at the time and was told there was "no demand", despite the most recent DVD having Rojo and Acosta in the lead roles.  :angry:   

I hope the Lamb/Muntagirov cast is released on DVD but as much as I love watching Muntagirov (and what a wonderful Des Grieux he was, even 4 years ago), it would be so lovely to have a dvd of Bonelli in the role.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard LH said:

RB Cast lists now published  for the  filmed performances  in the Autumn:

Mayerling:  McRae, Lamb

La Bayadere : Nunez, Muntagirov*, Osipova

The Nutcracker: Nunez, Muntagirov

The  favouring of the well-established leads continues.....:unsure:

I'm at work and i literally screeched out loud in excitement for Mayerling. 

I'm sorry, where was this casting list posted? I went to their website and i dont see anything listed on the performance pages.

Edited by MissMonk
  • Like 1