Cesar Corrales resigns from ENB

I'm sorry if I missed this piece of news somewhere on the forum, but Cesar Corrales just posted this on FB:

After a difficult time recovering from a unexpected foot injury at the beginning of the season I am happy to say I will be back at the London Coliseum performing Le Juene Homme et La Mort with Jia Zhang on the 18th & 20th of January. This will also be one of my final performances with the English National Ballet at the Coliseum following my resignation with the company.

• Like 3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most interesting ... 

It'll be fascinating to see what this great talent does in the future. His time with ENB has been hugely appreciated by all audiences. It has been a privilege to watch him develop much as we did Muntagirov at the same balletic address . 

I am sure we all wish him very well indeed for his future endeavours. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Press Release from ENB:

Principal Cesar Corrales to leave English National Ballet at the end of the 2017/2018 Season.

After three years with English National Ballet, Principal Cesar Corrales has decided to leave the Company and will join The Royal Ballet. 

Corrales joined English National Ballet as Artist of the Company in 2014. He was promoted to Junior Soloist in 2015, and to First Soloist in 2016. In July 2017 at just 20 years old, Corrales was promoted to Principal on stage at the Bunka Kaikan Theatre, Tokyo following his performance as Ali in Le Corsiare.

Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo CBE said; I am so proud of our commitment to nurturing our exceptionally talented dancers within the Company, dedicating time and resources to help develop them as artists. English National Ballet will continue to offer dancers the opportunity to work with the best artistic, creative and coaching teams in the world, so that they can achieve their full potential."

In his short time at English National Ballet Corrales has performed lead roles as Ali in Le Corsaire, Nephew in Nutcracker, Mercutio in Romeo & Juliet, Albrecht in Giselle, and in Spring and Fall by John Neumeier, Fantastic Beings by Aszure Barton, and William Forsythe’s In the middle, somewhat elevated. In 2016, Corrales collaborated with Akram Khan on the creation of the role of Hilarion for Khan’s reimagined version of Giselle.

Corrales, who performs the lead role in Roland Petit’s Le Jeune Homme et La Mort at the London Coliseum on 18 and 20 January, leaves English National Ballet at the end of the 2017/2018 season.

• Like 1

His leaving isn't really that much of a surprise in my opinion. He had previously stated that he hoped to join ABT one day. And let's not forget that dancers leaving ENB is not a new occurrence, despite what some members believe, they have lost some very fine dancers under Rojo. 

I'm sorry that ENB is losing yet another wonderful dancer and I will miss his performances when the company perform in Liverpool. I am however happy that he has decided to remain in England, although I wonder if his partners position in ENB was part of that decision.

• Like 3

It seems that his announcement on Facebook preceded the press releases from ENB and the RB (both of which I received after hearing about his post). Perhaps they were rushed out because of his announcement. I think as a matter of courtesy your employer should be allowed to announce such things before you make them public yourself. E.g. I recently resigned from my job in order to retire early next year, but although I told my immediate team I didn't tell other colleagues or discuss it with them until my employer had posted it on our Intranet. Admittedly I'm not a ballet star, and I don't post on Facebook; but there is still good practice. (Yes, I'm sure this sounds very old-fashioned. I just think there are good/proper ways of doing things, and ways that are not so good.)

If I've misunderstood what happened, apologies to Cesar Corrales (not of course that he will care - or know- what I think!!).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Tamara must be very miffed.  I am sure that some of the RB's very talented men who are working their way up the ranks of the company are very miffed as well.  I really hope it works out well all around.  

I agree that some Royal Ballet men may well feel that their own chances will be limited by Cesar Corrales's arrival - and that is a pity because, with inevitable retirements at the top over the next few years, the effect on them is likely to be minimal.  

Cesar is a really unique performer and who can blame  him for seeking a move where he can deploy and further develop his artistry? If I were Kevin, I would have 'seized the moment' too - as he did with Vadim Muntagirov (and, right from the moment of his transfer - as Principal - nearly 4 years ago, the spontaneous comments about him from other dancers were all ones of total admiration and pleasure that he was at the RB). Some years ago, also, we were welcoming the arrival of Alexander Campbell and, this year, of William Bracewell who has also moved from BRB.

I don't know, of course, but I suspect that, as an ENB Principal, Cesar is currently earning considerably more than he will be paid as a First Soloist with the RB.

I feel that the talents of this wonderful, young 'man of the stage' will make a fantastic fit with the RB. Yes, the announcements might have been better coordinated but  I am rejoicing that he has chosen to remain UK-based and I can't wait for his first appearance at the ROH in the coming autumn.

Edited by capybara
typo
  • Like 6

I am glad he is going to RB ......if he has to move on that is ....and lucky to be seeing him then with ENB in Le Jeune Homme on the 20th.

It is interesting that he is taking a demotion though people often make sideways moves but not so often a demotion ...he must be a little unhappy at ENB for whatever reason ...which is a shame.

i wonder if it's the constant touring around which has got to him...many dancers must get fed up with this after a few years and I dare say some conditions the dancers have to practice in when travelling are less than perfect.

Does touring increase injury rates though ...not sure.

Hoping he is happy at RB as he is still a developing artist so would like to see how he progresses.

20 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It is interesting that he is taking a demotion though people often make sideways moves but not so often a demotion

It's not unusual for dancers to drop a grade when joining the RB: Alexander Campbell, First Soloist to Soloist; Sarah Lamb and Alexandra Ansanelli, Principal to First Soloist; there must be others…

• Like 6

It wouldn't surprise me if Corrales will not take a drop in salary as ENB's salaries are known to be on the low side. As capybara says, he is a very distinctive artist and I am not aware of anyone at the RB who is like him for sheer physical presence and on stage magnetism.

• Like 4

Maybe I am picking up on something that wasn't what was actually meant, but is there the suggestion that people do not like Rojo's management style and that is why dancers are leaving?  

Thinking about it,  it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  It can't be easy being a member of a company that is permanently on tour.  Given the choice between living out of a suitcase, and being based in one city, I know which one I would choose.  And if you are offered the chance to dance with one of the greatest companies in the world, and explore a much wider rep than a touring company can reasonably be expected to have, then I think most people would jump at the opportunity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

It can't be easy being a member of a company that is permanently on tour.  Given the choice between living out of a suitcase, and being based in one city, I know which one I would choose.  And if you are offered the chance to dance with one of the greatest companies in the world, and explore a much wider rep than a touring company can reasonably be expected to have, then I think most people would jump at the opportunity.  

And yet many dancers do have successful and long careers in touring companies. (Jeremy Kerridge, Iain Mackay, Robert Parker to name but 3)  In the UK there is really only the RB that stays in London (apart from the odd foreign tour).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Maybe I am picking up on something that wasn't what was actually meant, but is there the suggestion that people do not like Rojo's management style and that is why dancers are leaving?  

Thinking about it,  it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  It can't be easy being a member of a company that is permanently on tour.  Given the choice between living out of a suitcase, and being based in one city, I know which one I would choose.  And if you are offered the chance to dance with one of the greatest companies in the world, and explore a much wider rep than a touring company can reasonably be expected to have, then I think most people would jump at the opportunity.  

There is an interview with Jonas Acosta and Laurretta Summerscales in January edition of Dance Europe. Tamara’s name is mentioned!!

• Like 1

I've never heard dancers complaining about touring per se even though it is tiring. The only real complaint  related to performing, and common to ENB, BRB and the RB, arises every year at Nutcracker time, mainly because of the 'double show' factor and the sheer number of shows.

• Like 4

The amount of touring BRB does is pretty minimal compared to the old SWRB days.  Added to that they tend to go to the same theatres which must make touring far easier with the chance for regular digs.

I cannot disagree that the RB offers a wide ranging and changing repertoire at it would be a very prestigious entry on any dancer's cv.  As a company it has a more secure financial future than any other in the UK.   However, it does seem from a distance that there there are some fundamental issues at ENB but then dancers come and go from all companies.  

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

It seems that his announcement on Facebook preceded the press releases from ENB and the RB (both of which I received after hearing about his post). Perhaps they were rushed out because of his announcement. I think as a matter of courtesy your employer should be allowed to announce such things before you make them public yourself. E.g. I recently resigned from my job in order to retire early next year, but although I told my immediate team I didn't tell other colleagues or discuss it with them until my employer had posted it on our Intranet. Admittedly I'm not a ballet star, and I don't post on Facebook; but there is still good practice. (Yes, I'm sure this sounds very old-fashioned. I just think there are good/proper ways of doing things, and ways that are not so good.)

If I've misunderstood what happened, apologies to Cesar Corrales (not of course that he will care - or know- what I think!!).

Quite rightly so - and as a matter of courtesy indeed - it is the employer who should make the Public Statement. 

Those RB dancers who receive a promotion by the end of their season, before going on Tour, keep it rightly out of Social Media, until the ROH/RB make a Public Announcement.

I guess Corrales must have been over excited...

Edited by Nina G.
spelling
  • Like 1

I think that, if I understand correctly,  Cesar posted something on Facebook for his Friends to see, so it was not strictly a 'public statement' until it was reproduced on this forum (and elsewhere). And, who knows, maybe the necessary liaison between ENB and the RB over Press Releases was held up because of the pressures on the two ADs at this  time of year. It is certainly unusual to have notices published after 6.00pm as these were yesterday.

• Like 2

Touring may not be an issue for him ...have no idea ...but it doesn't suit everybody.

certainly after about the age of 25 I would be fed up with it! It's a bit like sharing a house/flat with loads of others ...by mid twenties I couldn't wait to get into a flat on my own and put down more permanent roots as it were.

Perhaps he just heard of a possible opening at the RB and couldn't resist it! 

I wonder why the announcement is being made at this early stage. It's six months until the end of ENB's season. One can speculate, perhaps, that he will be going on 'garden leave' or not appearing much in the rest of the season which would have provoked comment and discussion anyway.

As for tiring of touring, he's only 20 and had only done it for three years!

Regarding Rojo's feelings on the matter, I can't imagine that she isn't very disappointed as she has invested a lot in Corrales' artistic development. However, she did the same thing herself and so she can hardly complain. This situation does highlight the danger of putting too many eggs in too few dancer baskets. It's time for her to invest in a larger number of dancers, not just the chosen two or three. Unaccountably (IMO) she has neglected too many talented dancers who waited very patiently for opportunities and promotions but who eventually tired of being overlooked and moved on. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I've never heard dancers complaining about touring per se even though it is tiring. The only real complaint  related to performing, and common to ENB, BRB and the RB, arises every year at Nutcracker time, mainly because of the 'double show' factor and the sheer number of shows.

Also it's not as if he was touring for years & years- he only joined ENB in 2014. He is 20yrs old.  And yes touring is tiring especially in the Nutcracker season, but I'm sure for the corps de ballet, who are in every performance, it's a lot more exhausting for them. As I said he is only 20.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sim said:

Tamara must be very miffed.  I am sure that some of the RB's very talented men who are working their way up the ranks of the company are very miffed as well.  I really hope it works out well all around.  

Tamara may well be miffed, who knows??

But I doubt that many of the young men at the RB will be. I have seen Cesar dance many times and he is fantastic, such a great technique. A bravura dancer - in the same vein as Steven McRae, but a lot younger. If anyone was inclined to be miffed it could be him. But I seriously doubt it. He, Cesar, has along way to go in developing his acting skills/artistry. I think his fantastic technical ability will encourage the other dancers and they will probably be full of admiration. They should be secure in their own ability and let his arrival be an opportunity to sharpen their own technique.

• Like 4

I know he is only 20! 

I was just thinking how I might feel after a few years of touring!! And other dancers may feel this way. It was just following a train of thought that something must be making him unhappy at ENB as I'm sure he will be appreciative of the chances they have given him etc

Somewhere it does say that although he's retiring at the end of the 2017/18 season his last performances with ENB will be in January in Le Jeune Homme et la Mort. 

• Like 1