Audience Behaviour

23 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

And on a personal note, I think all of those who love ballet and stand through countless performances are amazing and I wouldn't care if they came wearing their pyjamas!!

What about if they brought their teddy bears too? :D 

• Like 4

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to several  performances at the Munich Opera House  and on each occasion I have  seen the full Bavarian kit  - dirndls, collarless jackets, knickerbockers (lederhosen?)  worn by quite a few ladies and gentlemen respectively...

I have also observed that black is practically de rigeur it would seem for ladies there - many variations on that theme in evening dress /cocktail dress and smart casual (whatever that means..). I think this unofficial dress code relaxes and relents the higher up you are seated. Also, there are well-attended cloakrooms on every level, so bags are stored not brought into the theatre, ditto coats and boots, snow boots and climbing gear (gets cold there, you know..)

Personally, I love to people- and fashion-watch, so a passeggiata in the Floral Hall is highly diverting for me, at any rate!

• Like 3

I am glad to see that the mood appears to have lightened upon the choice of dress at the ROH and am at a loss to understand the reason behind what came across to me as an uncalled-for and stinging attack upon Penelope Simpson for expressing legitimate views in a totally civil manner. Penelope's gripe was expressly directed at scruffiness, not at smart-casual dress nor at people exercising their right to dress as they choose. I frequently wear jeans to the ROH but out of respect both for myself and for anyone forced to look at me I would not want to turn up looking like Vicky Pollard. Neither, for that matter, would I want to look overdressed, and these days this is more of a problem, but, like BeauxArts, I also enjoy the diversion of a passeggiata in the Floral Hall.

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

I am glad to see that the mood appears to have lightened upon the choice of dress at the ROH and am at a loss to understand the reason behind what came across to me as an uncalled-for and stinging attack upon Penelope Simpson for expressing legitimate views in a totally civil manner. Penelope's gripe was expressly directed at scruffiness, not at smart-casual dress nor at people exercising their right to dress as they choose. I frequently wear jeans to the ROH but out of respect both for myself and for anyone forced to look at me I would not want to turn up looking like Vicky Pollard. Neither, for that matter, would I want to look overdressed, and these days this is more of a problem, but, like BeauxArts, I also enjoy the diversion of a passeggiata in the Floral Hall.

Well, thank-you kind lady.  I was a bit taken aback but never mind.  I like to try to look nice and I like to look at people who also want to look nice.  I always think that there are so many opportunities to slob around (and I'm doing it myself today as I bake scones and make endless cups of tea for the decorators), so it will be nice to climb into my best frock on Thursday for Manon.  And yes, of course there are smart jeans.  I frequently attend with a French friend who looks wonderful in what is his uniform of beautifully pressed dark jeans, a crisp white shirt and a navy blazer.  It's the general slobbiness you see so much of that gets to me and I just think - why?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MAB said:

Since its first re-build the opera house has become a far less comfortable place to visit, who would dress up if they are expected to sit on a bench?  Back in the 60's when I started going people were far more fashion conscious than today, but that was true everywhere and the Carnaby Street dandies vied with the women in that respect.  I used to see some fabulous clothes at Covent Garden once upon a time and occasionally I wore some myself (I still have a Bruce Oldfield dress that I can't part with) and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the glamour.  I'm going to offend a lot of people by saying how much I absolutely loathe torn jeans and those vile thick plimsoll things so many wear, fashion is supposed to reflect the times we live in, dressing in rags suggests to me we are moving into a dystopian society.

I follow some favourite singers abroad occasionally and I adore Monte Carlo as a venue, jaw dropping audience, I was last there in November and spotted an emerald so large you'd think it should be in the crown jewels.   Elsewhere in Europe the dress code varies, but Vienna is very formal and in Zurich some performances are designated 'black tie', so I can understand newcomers feeling a bit anxious over what to wear.

Penelope Simpson, it's off to Glyndebourne and Garsington for you and you'll love it. :D

I have spent quite a few pleasant days at Glyndebourne and they are wonderful memories.  I haven't made it to Garsington but would love to.  Luckily I have Iford quite near me which I can really recommend.  The Italianate gardens are beautiful and, strangely, the weather usually seems to be kind for that week.  

1 minute ago, penelopesimpson said:

As a moderator, I am quite surprised to see you pursuing me in this way.  Shall we just leave it ?

As a member of the forum, I stand behind what I say.  Up to you if you don't want to do the same; this isn't a personal vendetta, just a search for understanding and a putting forward of my case.

I know I'm repeating something here that I've said way back in this thread, but I feel much less respected as a fellow audience member when I'm sitting near people who can't be bothered to keep their clothing quiet, than by what that clothing is in the first place.  At last Thursday's Manon, I was sitting next to somebody wearing a shiny polyester jacket whose constant raising and lowering of his binoculars made a loud noise every time - and from that spot in Stalls Circle Left, I could hear somebody some distance away (that is, halfway across the auditorium) with audible bangles!

Cleanliness, silence, and mindfulness of the space being occupied (as in, please don't wear a puffa jacket unless you're going to put it in the cloakroom before you sit next to me) are the minimum attributes I feel I should be able to expect from a neighbour's clothing at a theatrical performance, but I really can't see how it's my business to stipulate anything additional to those things.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I know I'm repeating something here that I've said way back in this thread, but I feel much less respected as a fellow audience member when I'm sitting near people who can't be bothered to keep their clothing quiet, than by what that clothing is in the first place. 

Can't be bothered, or just insufficient forethought? (I'd add people - usually but not always women - who pile their hair on top of their heads or have it sticking out in other ways).  I ordered some sort of winter jacket a few years ago, and when I tried it on I realised that it had pieces of Velcro all the way down the zip which automatically engaged as soon as you zipped it up.  I had such visions of dashing into stalls circle standing just before curtain-up and making this horrible noise while trying to remove my coat quietly that I sent it back!  (Its replacement, a 3-in-1, unfortunately still has a moderately loud swishy rainjacket, but I shall just have to be careful and try and take it off before entering the auditorium.)

How I dress at the ROH often depends on whether I am standing or sitting, and on whether I come straight from the office, which is usually the case.  If I come on a Saturday, I sometimes like to posh up, but again as I often stand it is more comfortable for me to wear trousers (sometimes jeans, sometimes not) and comfy shoes.  However, I do love to watch the beautiful people in the Floral Hall;  there are always some gorgeous dresses and jewellery around and it makes me happy to see them.....but sad because I will never be able to afford such gorgeous clothes!!  :)     So let's all remember that there is room for all kinds of people and clothing, and everybody should try to accept how others want to present themselves....as long as they are indeed clean and don't smell!!  :)

• Like 9

I know that if I arrived at ROH wearing an item of clothing which was in some way noisy in a way I hadn’t appreciated, if it wasn’t a garment that could be removed before the performance, the first time it demonstrated to me that it was noisy, I’d thereafter make damn sure I sat still so it remained silent.

• Like 1

At something recently - I think Sadler's Wells - I actually moved to a different seat because of someone's overwhelming perfume.  I find I can get very sensitive to them, especially when I'm getting migraine-y (as was the case that night).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthE said:

Yep, PdQ... for me it boils down to the following. If your clothing or another aspect of your attire engages any one of my five senses, during the performance while the lights are down, it’s not a good thing to have worn to the theatre.

Ooops, tried to edit, and quoted instead.

Edited by RuthE

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I know that if I arrived at ROH wearing an item of clothing which was in some way noisy in a way I hadn’t appreciated, if it wasn’t a garment that could be removed before the performance, the first time it demonstrated to me that it was noisy, I’d thereafter make damn sure I sat still so it remained silent.

Oh, quite.  But I'm not sure everyone actually registers the noise level of their clothing!

Like Sim, I've tended to come straight from the office on most occasions, but I'm afraid my office conditions are rather different from hers!  There's a persistent leak in the ceiling which my landlord is as yet unable to trace, despite having stripped back the plasterboard.  Consequently, I don't exactly do "smart" at the office at the moment because things tend to get covered in flaking paint, bits of insulation and the like!

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, quite.  But I'm not sure everyone actually registers the noise level of their clothing!

You’d think when i turn round and say “can you not keep that thing still, it’s really noisy and distracting” that would be a clue of sorts. 

• Like 4

I do try not to contribute too much to this thread (really I do!) but the person tonight in centre amphitheatre who decided that the last musical interlude in Marguerite and Armand (you know, the scene change between where he rejects her and the heartrending final scene) was the ideal time to check their phone?  Twice??  There weren't that many rows in front of me, but even I could see a number of people being jerked out of the spell cast by the performance by this bright light intruding on their consciousness :(

:angry:

The closing couple bars of M&A - when the piano is just playing dead, staccato chords - have an unfortunate association for me, though it was not the fault of the audience member in question. Others who were in Stalls Circle Left at the penultimate Rojo/Polunin performance in 2013 might recall somebody in SCS crashing to the ground in a dead faint at that quietest of moments. I was sitting directly in front of them!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RuthE said:

:angry:

The closing couple bars of M&A - when the piano is just playing dead, staccato chords - have an unfortunate association for me, though it was not the fault of the audience member in question. Others who were in Stalls Circle Left at the penultimate Rojo/Polunin performance in 2013 might recall somebody in SCS crashing to the ground in a dead faint at that quietest of moments. I was sitting directly in front of them!

Oh, my.  Poor person and, poor you.

Not as poignant but in Othello last summer the audience was absolutely spellbound by Jonas Kaufmann (fantabulous!), when a whole tray of glasses crashed to the floor in one of the boxes.  All eyes in the Stalls swivelled to see where it had come from and the people in the box tried their best to sink in to the ground!

• Like 1

ENB Voices from America...last night...Sadlers Wells...second balcony...the chattiest and flakiest audience ever! My tolerance broke during the pause between The Cage and the New Forsythe. What seemed like total confusion. So many people getting up to go thinking the evening was over, staff trying to convince them to wait and return to seats, some insisting on going, people then quickly sitting down wherever they could or standing as final piece starts. And the three girls in front of me start talking again during the opening minutes. Three words from me - "Just shut up!" said in a roaring whisper of 40 years of pent up frustration. Of course I got the evil eye, and I didn't really enjoy the last piece but for heavens sake! #hadenough #howstupidcanpeoplebe #whydoibotherwhydoicare 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Vanartus said:

ENB Voices from America...last night...Sadlers Wells...second balcony...the chattiest and flakiest audience ever! My tolerance broke during the pause between The Cage and the New Forsythe. What seemed like total confusion. So many people getting up to go thinking the evening was over, staff trying to convince them to wait and return to seats, some insisting on going, people then quickly sitting down wherever they could or standing as final piece starts. And the three girls in front of me start talking again during the opening minutes. Three words from me - "Just shut up!" said in a roaring whisper of 40 years of pent up frustration. Of course I got the evil eye, and I didn't really enjoy the last piece but for heavens sake! #hadenough #howstupidcanpeoplebe #whydoibotherwhydoicare 

Not ballet, but, yesterday I went to the cinema. Couple arrive just as the film is starting clutching a huge box of popcorn. The film, a Quiet Place, has very little dialogue so I could hear the couple munching...then she turns on her phone & rummages in a plastic bag for a drink. She then starts opening a packet of something else & the munching continued. The woman got up twice & we were only half an hour into the film! I was losing the will to live when the fire alarm went off. Everyone piled out of the cinema & I could see that the couple were still eating...It was a false alarm , so everyone went back into the cinema except me. I just couldn't face sitting there listening to such selfish people. So, I never did find out what happened in the film!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SusanR said:

Not ballet, but, yesterday I went to the cinema. Couple arrive just as the film is starting clutching a huge box of popcorn. The film, a Quiet Place, has very little dialogue so I could hear the couple munching...then she turns on her phone & rummages in a plastic bag for a drink. She then starts opening a packet of something else & the munching continued. The woman got up twice & we were only half an hour into the film! I was losing the will to live when the fire alarm went off. Everyone piled out of the cinema & I could see that the couple were still eating...It was a false alarm , so everyone went back into the cinema except me. I just couldn't face sitting there listening to such selfish people. So, I never did find out what happened in the film!

This is the reason I only go to the cinema these days at 5pm showings, a good week or two after the film's release! There are then only a handful (often less than 10) people in there - who are film fans, rather munchers!

• Like 5