Greed or Enthusiasm

Given the carry-on that booking for Mayerling entailed (required a couple of glasses last night!), I was reflecting on multiple bookings.  It was a tough fight but I managed to get tickets for all three of Watsons performances and I am thrilled BUT:  am I being greedy?

I hasten to add that even if the verdict goes against me,  I'm not about to give any of them  back, but I wondered how others felt about this?

I have bought expensive seats so I'm not taking up places that students or others might wish for, and as a huge ballet fan, I take the view that its up to me how I spend my available pennies.  Football fans would certainly go to see their team every week and I feel that way about the ballet, but...

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Given the carry-on that booking for Mayerling entailed (required a couple of glasses last night!), I was reflecting on multiple bookings.  It was a tough fight but I managed to get tickets for all three of Watsons performances and I am thrilled BUT:  am I being greedy?

I hasten to add that even if the verdict goes against me,  I'm not about to give any of them  back, but I wondered how others felt about this?

I have bought expensive seats so I'm not taking up places that students or others might wish for, and as a huge ballet fan, I take the view that its up to me how I spend my available pennies.  Football fans would certainly go to see their team every week and I feel that way about the ballet, but...

Any thoughts?

Given that it's impossible to know who would buy/get any tickets you (I) did not buy (i.e. fellow enthusiast or casual purchaser), or to know how many people will ultimately be unable to get tickets for any given production or performance, I don't think it's unreasonable to book for any performance to which you (I) wish to go. At least within reason - I suppose that buying multiple tickets for multiple performances of a sought-after production might be a bit greedy. But there will be other times after all when we are unable to get tickets for performances to which we would have wanted to go.

I would be interested to see some detailed statistics about the make up of Royal Opera House Audiences. What percentage of the audience for Watson’s Mayerling dates will be the same on all three nights? 10%? 20%? More because of the amount of tickets sold in advance of general release?

In an ideal world we would all be able to go to all the performances we want, and I certainly do not begrudge those who do, but sometimes I wonder if it goes a touch far especially when its multiple performances of the same cast. Maybe Friends should be limited to one performance per cast during advanced sales, then allowed to fight it out with everyone else at general release. 

Either way, there is no need to feel guilty so long as you play by the rules. I would do the same.

• Like 2

I would just congratulate you on your luck in getting them! I think if you can afford to get expensive tickets for multiple nights, you should go for it. It's not as though you weren't sure you were going to attend, but bought the tickets anyway, or didn't like ballet and intended to yawn your way through the performance.

I, like Saodan, would be fascinated to see some statistics on the ROH audience, as I so often get the impression that a large portion of the audience (particularly for the big classics) is not particularly interested in what they're watching. And yet, I recently went to a Friends Rehearsal, fully expecting to be annoyed by a bunch of businessmen/woman with free tickets, but instead, I found a really dedicated, intelligent audience. Why was it such a different experience to going on opening night, for example?

• Like 1

This puts the case for only general booking no priority for anyone. If you got tix for what you want then well done you. At least you're a true fan and KNOW what you're seeing so it will be appreciated.

I think the Royal Ballet needs a new home one with a better auditorium with better sight lines and importantly more seats. I hate the U shape and fact the tiers are so far from the stage. It's not a favourite theatre of mine from a viewing point of view at all.

• Like 3

I recently went to a Friends Rehearsal, fully expecting to be annoyed by a bunch of businessmen/woman with free tickets, but instead, I found a really dedicated, intelligent audience. Why was it such a different experience to going on opening night, for example?

I am always amazed by the difference between audiences for Fille or the Nutcracker and a 'normal' audience. At the Nutcracker everyone seems to excited and enthusiastic, you can really feel the energy, whereas normally the audience seems to be jaded and somewhat indifferent. Maybe thats just my imagination.

I think the Royal Ballet needs a new home one with a better auditorium with better sight lines and importantly more seats. I hate the U shape and fact the tiers are so far from the stage. It's not a favourite theatre of mine from a viewing point of view at all.

I was thinking this. It would help to increase revenue from ticket sales. Will never happen though!

• Like 2

Maybe Friends should be limited to one performance per cast during advanced sales...

Oh dear no! Then it will be a punishment for fans who enjoy watching their favourite dancers growing into the role (and who pay Friends’ fees for this as well). This punishment will be especially unfair at the time when the ROH allows the ticket agencies to scoop ‘hot’ tickets, which are later re-sold by them with a hefty premium. 

As Linette H wrote on a neighbouring topic: “… Why through them and not the ROH ?”

I agree with her absolutely. It will be better for the tickets, which go like hot cakes, to be sold by the ROH without agencies’ “help”. Then more fans will be able to buy tickets at proper Box Office prices.

Edited layout.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Oh dear no! Then it will be a punishment for fans who enjoy watching their favourite dancers growing into the role (and who pay Friends’ fees for this as well). This punishment will be especially unfair at the time when the ROH allows the ticket agencies to scoop ‘hot’ tickets, which are later re-sold by them with a hefty premium. 

As Linette H wrote on a neighbouring topic: “… Why through them and not the ROH ?”

I agree with her absolutely. It will be better for the tickets, which go like hot cakes, to be sold by the ROH without agencies’ “help”. Then more fans will be able to buy tickets at proper Box Office prices.

Edited layout.

Do you know for sure, Amelia, that the ROH is selling tickets to agencies?

Edited by capybara

Oh dear no! Then it will be a punishment for fans who enjoy watching their favourite dancers growing into the role (and who pay Friends’ fees for this as well).

It could be argued that this punishes those who cannot afford to be a friend or choose not to be. That said, this debate has been sparked by a high demand of tickets for three dates of a single cast. The reality is that there are plenty of good seats available for all the other dates. It’s not like anybody is going to miss the opportunity to see Mayerling at all. 

You have changed my mind! Be free to book as you like. Hopefully some will be pleasantly surprised by “less desirable” casts.

This punishment will be especially unfair at the time when the ROH allows the ticket agencies to scoop ‘hot’ tickets, which are later re-sold by them with a hefty premium. 

I agree with you completely about agencies. They are exploitative, Love Theatre is charging a £15 booking fee for Woolf Works! It astonishes me that a venue like the Royal Opera House uses them.

• Like 1

I LOVE the ROH auditorium (I see in the side amphi - though I do avoid rows B to D since people in the front row have a tendency to lean forward) and always find it more intimate and I have a better view than in any other theatre.

• Like 2

I feel very far away from the stage in the amphitheatre at the ROH and this definitely seems to (negatively) affect my enjoyment of the performance. Is the amphitheatre actually further back than the balcony at the Coliseum or am I imagining this?

• Like 1

I would be interested to see some detailed statistics about the make up of Royal Opera House Audiences. What percentage of the audience for Watson’s Mayerling dates will be the same on all three nights? 10%? 20%?

Interesting question Saodan, to which the ROH applies itself with some energy (not much is shared publicly though). I can report that I have been shocked over the years by private comments from certain senior ROH executives (better be super discreet here) about those who sit regularly in the amphitheatre. Not sure what is behind this attitude. Perhaps we know too much - or think we do - and write too many letters to management, buy too many tickets, cause too much trouble...

It is an odd business which allows itself to dismiss the customers who are most engaged and most loyal.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 6

Let's be realistic, if there are 7000 tickets and the entire ballet watching audience tries to get them, a lot of people will be disappointed irregardless of whether a comparatively small number of people buys more than one ticket.

• Like 1

Does the ROH get a cut of ticket sale revenue from these agencies? Or sell tickets to the agencies at a slightly higher price? If they aren't making some kind of a profit I can't imagine why they don't just sell all their tickets themselves.

• Like 5

I always thought that they only use ticketing agents when productions aren't selling so well to try to broaden out the audience. I can't believe the mark up! Tickets are already expensive but thankfully not as much so as New York/Lincoln Center for example.

Definitely in agreement that the u shaped theatre isn't ideal for viewing from many places - it actually makes it really difficult to buy tickets as there are so many restricted view seats. Having said that, at least there are plenty of affordable seats!

• Like 2

Do you know for sure, Amelia, that the ROH is selling tickets to agencies?

Yes they are - I got an mail from one of the agencies offering tickets to Mayerling and Jewels, and posted about it on a different thread. You can see the tickets for sale here (opera tickets too). 

http://www.seetickets.com/venue/royal-opera-house-covent-garden/2002/calendar/4/?aff=id1ETROHSPRING250117&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ROHSpring_ind_250117&utm_content=http%3a%2f%2fwww.seetickets.com%2fvenue%2froyal-opera-house-covent-garden%2f2002%2fcalendar%2f4%2f%3faff%3did1ETROHSPRING250117&&

The mark up is substantial, plus a transaction fee. 

The mark up is substantial, plus a transaction fee. 

That's a bit rich....the ROH is happy to pass/sell their tickets on to agencies that charge ridiculously high mark-ups, but those of us who buy our tickets from the ROH aren't supposed to be able to re-sell ours, even to friends/family, at cost??

• Like 4

I always thought that they only use ticketing agents when productions aren't selling so well to try to broaden out the audience. I can't believe the mark up! Tickets are already expensive but thankfully not as much so as New York/Lincoln Center for example.

Definitely in agreement that the u shaped theatre isn't ideal for viewing from many places - it actually makes it really difficult to buy tickets as there are so many restricted view seats. Having said that, at least there are plenty of affordable seats! 

I agree, there are a few restricted view seats under £10 seats that still offer a good and close view. If the auditorium was more conventionally shaped and priced then I would have only been able to afford tickets at the back and at the top.