Places to eat near the Royal Opera House in London

aileen

I've struggled to find anywhere around the ROH to have a quick bite. There's Peyton & Byrne but their pies and quiches can be very dried up by the evening and often there isn't anything savoury at all. I think that the ROH probably capitalises on this.

My friend and I usually just have a sandwich at the Pret in Long Acre before performances - ROH would be far too expensive. Not long ago, who should come and sit at the table next to us but Natalia Osipova!! She looked quite 'ordinary' and most people probably had no idea who she was. So that was an exciting bonus!

• Like 7

It's Shake Shack for my pre-ballet burger - usually on a tight schedule and, IMHO, their burgers are soooo good - :) .  I've never even considered eating at the ROH itself.  

I fear this thread is going somewhat off topic ...

Thanks to Aileen for suggesting this topic.  I've moved some relevant posts from the Audience Behaviour thread.

Jillykins recommended Tuttons and I recommended the Nero on Long Acre.

If you like Indian food, I had a terrific meal in the restaurant in Floral Street, the name of which currently escapes me.

Cote is fine provided you can get in, which is not always a given. I've been known to use other branches, then whiz down to Covent Garden on the tube.

That said, there are quite a few restaurants around St. Paul's, which should normally only be a short bus ride away from the ROH. (They're much less busy on a Saturday evening)

I had high expectations of La Ballerina, which I think were too high. I had expected far more interesting décor and the food really wasn't anything special - this was some time ago so maybe it's improved.

I suppose you get what you pay for most of the time, as it's very reasonable. We have maybe been lucky then, as the food has always been very good, not really too fussed regarding the deco.

I had high expectations of La Ballerina, which I think were too high. I had expected far more interesting décor and the food really wasn't anything special - this was some time ago so maybe it's improved.

No, it hasn't.

• Like 1

Alison!  How could you not like apple crumble and custard in the Cafe in the Crypt?  One of the great pleasures on a cold winter afternoon.

It always seems to start off well, but somehow by the time I'm halfway through it's beginning to be quite disgusting.  Don't know why :(  I don't think I've ever managed to get completely through one.

It always seems to start off well, but somehow by the time I'm halfway through it's beginning to be quite disgusting.  Don't know why :(  I don't think I've ever managed to get completely through one.

I've never FAILED to get completely through any pudding. :)

• Like 4

I particularly like Busaba Eathai, opposite the stage door.  If you can get into one of the six seats in the window, it's fab for people-watching - especially after a ballet matinee.

My other favourite spot in the area is The Delaunay Counter (Aldwych).

I still lament the demise of Covent Garden legend Food for Thought, a great little café which served huge portions of amazing and cheap vegetarian food.  Sadly it closed down in June 2015.

Edited to add... if you don't mind uncomfortable seating and occasionally over-loud pop music, Meat Market (behind the Jubilee Market) does great burgers.  There's a recently-opened branch of Franco Manca (amazing, reasonably-priced sourdough pizza) on Maiden Lane, and Wagamama (Southampton Street) is always a reliable fallback, though at both of these there is often a queue.

Edited by RuthE