Results from Vaganova Classical ballet examination

CeliB

Just wanted to share that after only 2 months at the Vaganova in St Petersburg, DS has just been awarded the highest grade possible (5/5) in his classical ballet exam. Most of his class also achieved this grade,  This is apparently almost unheard of and Tsiskaridze is delighted with them.

After the terrible time DS had in Amsterdam this is just the boost he needs. He also says he has never felt as happy dancing as he does at the Academy. I had to share the news with people who will understand how relieved and overjoyed I am to hear this!!! And to thank you for all your kind words of support earlier in the year.

Celi x

• Like 42

Yes DS is in the international training program - I think there is only one route in for foreign students. But DS has been placed in an all Russian boys class with the boys who have all been there since age 10/11 and not with the other class which contains the international students (as well as a few Russian students). Although his PDD class is with international students. In characteristic DS style he has no idea of the significance of this placing or in fact of anything that goes on around him....But the Russian boys (who have welcomed him into their fold and tell him he is 'one of them') tell him he is getting an unusual amount of personal attention from Tsidzeriske and when he received positive feedback from one of the guest teachers this also left the Russian boys open mouthed as they say they have never ever heard this teacher give a compliment before. Who knows if this is just random or meaningful. He is super happy and that's all that matters at the moment....

• Like 10

Wow,how utterly wonderful. When your son was first accepted into Vaganova I told my son, who hates ballet, explaining to him about the school`s illustrious history and some of the famous dancers who trained there. He said "Cool". I have just gone upstairs to tell him this latest lovely news about him. Sean seemed genuinely interested and said, "He might be a world famous ballet dancer one day". He might indeed.

• Like 3

Oh, I don't know if it is- which facebook page? I can't find it...

btw just to correct an earlier post DS says the classes are mixed for PDD, character and acting, and it just happens that he is in an all Russian class for classical ballet. However he also says all but one of his class got a 5/5 (one got 4) and in the other class no-one got  a 5. And the reason he was so made up is that it is almost unknown for an international student to be given a grade (because they arent 'proper' members of the school) so he wasn't expecting it... The head of the jury told him he had a 5 and very well done (all in Russian) and he nearly passed out from shock and delight...

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know if it is- which facebook page? I can't find it...

btw just to correct an earlier post DS says the classes are mixed for PDD, character and acting, and it just happens that he is in an all Russian class for classical ballet. However he also says all but one of his class got a 5/5 (one got 4) and in the other class no-one got  a 5. And the reason he was so made up is that it is almost unknown for an international student to be given a grade (because they arent 'proper' members of the school) so he wasn't expecting it... The head of the jury told him he had a 5 and very well done (all in Russian) and he nearly passed out from shock and delight...

How is he getting along with the Russian language? Is he given lessons in it?

• Like 1

He has lessons in Russian although he claims they aren't very good. He got the hang of the Cyrillic script after a few weeks. Now, after 2 months, he says he is able to understand a fair amount and he can now converse a bit, enough to feel he can have some sort of basic conversation. For example whilst I was skyping him last night one off the babushkas came and told him something along the lines of 'it's really late shouldn't you be in bed' and he responded 'yes yes just give me 20 minutes' or words to that effect. He definitely found the first month really tough (he's quite a sociable chap) but says he feels much more integrated now so can clearly converse on a basic level.

There's nothing like total immersion- kill or cure I think!

• Like 6

I have been downloading the lessons under the Michel Thomas system but luckily a real Russian speaker rather than him on this course. It's very aural but have learned the Russian letters as well and at this stage can just about ask where the Bolshoi theatre the bank and the station are!! And that I don't speak much Russian!!

• Like 1