ROH entry

As a general warning, ROH have reinstated the bag search on entry (as a response to the atrocities in Paris one assumes, and the upgraded security levels in major cities). Understandable in the circumstances.

This means that entry may be delayed slightly, so I'd advise giving it plenty of time if you can, to avoid a last minute rush before curtain up.

• Like 6

As a general warning, ROH have reinstated the bag search on entry (as a response to the atrocities in Paris one assumes, and the upgraded security levels in major cities). Understandable in the circumstances.

This means that entry may be delayed slightly, so I'd advise giving it plenty of time if you can, to avoid a last minute rush before curtain up.

Thanks for letting us know this, zxDAveM - I had thought that might happen (and in fact I'm quite surprised it was stopped previously).

• Like 2

I DO hope they will search deep in all those bags (and a body search would not be out of place!). Just imagine one of *those* would manage to slip through...whilst all the lovely dancers are dancing their heart out for us!  Sometimes it does cross my mind. The dancers and opera singers must be concerned too.

Weirdly, though, a friend of mine who works front of house at the ROH said they had bag search training last week!  Presumably before the Paris attacks.  Maybe it's just something they do as a routine training course in case of particularly high-security events.

It was in force today for the rehearsal. More thoroughly than in the past!

Really more thoroughly? Good to hear because I felt that it was (again) rather cursory in my case today. Very difficult to get it 'right', of course.

I think that it would be helpful for there to be a statement on the ROH website about the reinstatement of searches to include an explanation of what will happen when people bring in parcels and suitcases.

• Like 2

I actually asked them last night as I'll need to come to a performance with a suitcase in a couple of weeks, I was told it was still fine to leave it in the cloakroom.

I also found the checks rather perfunctory, my friend just walked past without anyone saying anything, and if they have been reinstated following the Paris attacks, considering the perpetrators were all wearing explosive belts, unless they start pat downs or install metal detectors at the entrance, it seems the measure is meant to make the audience feel safer rather than actually prevent anything.

• Like 3

it seems the measure is meant to make the audience feel safer rather than actually prevent anything.

That's what I feel too, these so-called measures taken by the ROH will do nothing to prevent an atrocity. Anyone can bring in a suitcase and leave it at the cloakroom without the suitcase being checked? I think the ROH security people have to wake-up, the bag checks have to be consistent and thorough, and metal detectors should be installed at the entrances. I don't feel I am over reacting as it all too easy for anybody with evil intentions to walk in undetected with the rest of us...

That's what I feel too, these so-called measures taken by the ROH will do nothing to prevent an atrocity. Anyone can bring in a suitcase and leave it at the cloakroom without the suitcase being checked? I think the ROH security people have to wake-up, the bag checks have to be consistent and thorough, and metal detectors should be installed at the entrances. I don't feel I am over reacting as it all too easy for anybody with evil intentions to walk in undetected with the rest of us...

You are over-reacting. Metal detector arches will do nothing (except encourage patrons to stay away). If a suicide attacker were to attack an entertainment venue they would, most likely and as per previous attacks, arrive *after* the show has started and just shoot anyone in their way.

Just carry on life as normal, but be vigilant.

• Like 12

Or blow themselves up in the nice big crowd waiting outside queueing for the security checks. Or go hit a softer target down the street.

Much more important to make sure you look both ways crossing the street and don't play at the top of the stairs.

• Like 6

Or blow themselves up in the nice big crowd waiting outside queueing for the security checks. Or go hit a softer target down the street.

Much more important to make sure you look both ways crossing the street and don't play at the top of the stairs.

Please don't let us start to be at all flippant about this. These are very difficult times and the ROH is trying to do its best.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm not being flippant: that's literally true. Many more people will be killed by stairs or cars than terrorists this year, almost certainly.

There are always trade-offs on security - long queues are themselves potential targets, and there's no real way of stopping committed attackers anyway. I'm sure the security checks at Stade de France that foiled the two suicide bombers there were similarly cursory. Increased vigilance and bag checks forces security staff to interact with people, which is the main thing - remember that even the security checks at US airports still miss most weapons that are presented, so deeper inspection doesn't necessarily help as much as you'd think. 

The ROH approach seems sensible enough. 

Anyone can bring in a suitcase and leave it at the cloakroom without the suitcase being checked.

In fact - please correct me if I have this muddled - I seem to remember that the planning for the redevelopment of the box office etc area led to an official ROH announcement some weeks ago (ie before Paris) saying that bags were no longer being accepted in the cloakroom. Perhaps this hasn't yet come into force though, can't remember.

I would be more worried about travelling by tube than being at the ROH. It still seems alarmingly easy to walk onto the tube carrying a weapon, although I have faith in our counter-terrorism intelligence services hopefully arresting likely perpetrators before they get anywhere near the tube system.

I'm sure the ROH are taking appropriate measures.

• Like 3

In fact - please correct me if I have this muddled - I seem to remember that the planning for the redevelopment of the box office etc area led to an official ROH announcement some weeks ago (ie before Paris) saying that bags were no longer being accepted in the cloakroom. Perhaps this hasn't yet come into force though, can't remember.

A number of overseas patrons go straight to the ROH from the airport, a no suitcase ruling will exclude them from coming.

• Like 1

No they can leave bags at stations as I have done for a modest daily fee of around £10. The bags are xrayed as per airport security at these places before being accepted. I had a case with me once at ROH and they searched it...in the days they still did checks. Glad it's been reinstated.

As it happens I am visiting Paris for a few days tomorrow and was relieved see that Opera Bastille have posted on their website that they are doing bag checks and security will be using some sort of metal detectors. They have also said all doors will be closed 15 mins after start which seems very sensible. At the end of the day though I believe that if my number is up it's up nowt I can do about it!!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 4

You are over-reacting. Metal detector arches will do nothing (except encourage patrons to stay away). If a suicide attacker were to attack an entertainment venue they would, most likely and as per previous attacks, arrive *after* the show has started and just shoot anyone in their way.

Just carry on life as normal, but be vigilant.

Thank you for your re-assurance.

No they can leave bags at stations as I have done for a modest daily fee of around £10. The bags are xrayed as per airport security at these places before being accepted.

Sometimes this works well, but as someone who often arrives in London with a suitcase and on a tight budget. it can be very difficult to juggle left luggage opening hours (most at stations are not open 24 hours), tube stations without lifts/escalators, packed London buses, places that don't let you open your suitcase to retrieve/leave something and so on. I've used a wide variety of luggage storage and transport options - Probably the free/cheaper ones I prefer will now revise their practices...

• Like 1

A Swiss friend of mine frequently lands at Heathrow and rushes straight to ROH, he wouldn't have time to sort out a left luggage facility.  For those that have to go in to work for a few hours before catching a plane, it's often a race after you land to make it to the theatre in time, I've checked in a suitcase at the Bastille with only three minutes to spare after getting caught in the mother of all Parisian traffic jams.

For those that do this kind of international theatre going it will mean increased expenditure and/or loss of holiday allowance by going the day before thereby incurring extra hotel costs.

• Like 1

A Swiss friend of mine frequently lands at Heathrow and rushes straight to ROH, he wouldn't have time to sort out a left luggage facility.  For those that have to go in to work for a few hours before catching a plane, it's often a race after you land to make it to the theatre in time, I've checked in a suitcase at the Bastille with only three minutes to spare after getting caught in the mother of all Parisian traffic jams.

For those that do this kind of international theatre going it will mean increased expenditure and/or loss of holiday allowance by going the day before thereby incurring extra hotel costs.

But hopefully it will also give a boost to the services which take post-customs luggage and deliver it to a hotel or other place in a specified time window - which really makes more sense than having individual exhausted travellers drag suitcases to the theatre and then on to the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on the new Paris Opera site:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/message-to-spectators-2

Security measures have been reinforced. Screening (checking of tickets and contents of bags) will be carried out before entering our theatres and officers equipped with magnetometers will be present at each access point. We request you to arrive 30 minutes before the beginning of the performance and to present your ticket(s) or exchange voucher at the security check.

Luggage and travel bags are no longer accepted at the auditorium and the cloakrooms.

The theatre doors will be closed 15 minutes after the start of the performance

• Like 1

How’s everyone finding ease of access to the ROH at the moment, what with the Open Up project and the increased security. Any delays to get in? Is the main cloakroom still open OK and running smoothly? (Matinee-ing tomorrow for the first time for a couple of months).

How’s everyone finding ease of access to the ROH at the moment, what with the Open Up project and the increased security. Any delays to get in? Is the main cloakroom still open OK and running smoothly? (Matinee-ing tomorrow for the first time for a couple of months).

There's a long-ish queue to get in, but it moves pretty briskly now.

Cloakroom seems fine and I'm told they still accept suitcases, doesn't seem to be any changes there.

• Like 1