RBS Junior Associate (JA) Questions

Alfred71

Oh wow! WL!! I can't even go there in my mind. I could never afford the fees.

That is what I said when my DD started this journey.  Never believed I would even need to give it any consideration!!

However, this is one roller coaster of a journey that you can't seem to get off - should you even start if another whole question!!!!!!

As others have said look at the MDS scheme - but on average it works out at about 10% of your salary unless you are below a certain threshold.

Good luck!

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Word of warning for the mums /dads/guardians of new JA girls...be prepared for a bit of skirt making.  It came as a shock when I realised I had to make one.  Must say, I did feel proud when it was done :)

Thank goodness we didn't start until mids :P

• Like 3

Word of warning for the mums /dads/guardians of new JA girls...be prepared for a bit of skirt making.  It came as a shock when I realised I had to make one.  Must say, I did feel proud when it was done :)

Oh my! Glad I know a dressmaker then!!!

• Like 1

Hi Southerndancemum,

I asked the same question last year re the school report and was told that because they only see the children for a small amount of time they like to get a better picture of how they are at school too . It's all new this year being online and we also didn't have to send another picture in either .

• Like 1

Thanks Lou

do you if it's a specific report I need to get the school to do or just DD's last one - that only has scores of 1 to 4 for each subject. No words :/

Last year we just sent them the normal end-of year school report once we had received it. We will do the same this year.

Does anyone know how many places were available in London for the JA's this year? Do they have a specific number or just choose who they like? I wonder what the actual chance of being chosen is out of the number who auditioned?

Normal end of year reports are fine, in the 'olden days' of paper forms, we used to attach a passport photo, I am just going to crop and attach a head shot of my dd from a ordinary photo, not doing anything more formal than that.  It is just for their records. Have a wonderful journey, my dd further up the associate chain now and she has loved every minute.  Would offer to pass on our JA skirts but my dd's wouldn't let me ;)

• Like 1

I have done the acceptance and use a head shot from a photo I had, not a passport photo as such, hope that is ok.

Skirt making!!!! I got the instructions that made me chuckle, I probably could make it but for dd's sake ill think ill get it made! Dont seem to be able to order the uniform until August though, DD will love the Royal Ballet tracksuit, how special. Getting excited now and have looked up the travel on the train and using train split.com the price is more than halved :-) Anyone else Leeds?

Congratulations everyone- it IS exciting being a JA! Word of advice re the tracksuits..... They tend to come up on the big side! My dd joined Ja's in year 6, so ordered age 10-11 tracksuit- it was enormous ! We opted for age 7-8 in the end.

Given that JA's tend to be on the small side, ( and that RBS don't like the tracksuits to be too big, )I find it funny that the uniform sizing doesn't quite match.

Good luck everyone, enjoy the ride! Xx

Congratulations everyone- it IS exciting being a JA! Word of advice re the tracksuits..... They tend to come up on the big side! My dd joined Ja's in year 6, so ordered age 10-11 tracksuit- it was enormous ! We opted for age 7-8 in the end.

Given that JA's tend to be on the small side, ( and that RBS don't like the tracksuits to be too big, )I find it funny that the uniform sizing doesn't quite match.

Good luck everyone, enjoy the ride! Xx

I've been looking for a new RAD character skirt for my dd this morning online and noticed a lady has a 2nd hand royal ballet JA skirt on ebay today for a very reasonable price. Hope this helps a new JA out there somewhere

My mum made my dds she is a qualified dressmaker thank goodness it looked a bit tricky the skirt is very full. The JA uniform is just beautiful x

Edited by Snowflake

A forum member very kindly sold me her dd's skirt 3 years ago (thank you Hairbelles!) Would be more than happy to pass it on if that would help anyone. It is beautifully made (a hundred times better than I could have managed myself!) and still in excellent condition, as to be honest, they don't wear the skirts much.

Measurements as follows:

Length inc waistband : 19 inches with 4 inch hem

Waist: approx. 21 inches with room to make a little bigger.

Please pm me if interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK I only just checked in here again. In New Zealand the school year is so different (Feb-Dec) that our JA auditions are in Nov. I love reading all your excitement and comments! DD (age 11) auditioned last year for Yr 7 this year and didn't get in. Now entries are about to open and she flatly refuses to audition again. I'm torn between just leaving it and hoping her teacher may suggest it. We only have one national JA scheme and it's very hard to get into (they only took three girls my daughter's age, for the whole region of about 400,000 population!). I'm feeling a bit 'over it' actually and not at all sure I want to put either of us through it all again. What do you all do when it all just feels too hard???

Hi Cara,

Personally I wouldn't take my child to an audition they didn't want to do. It would be stressful for you and your child and damage your relationship. In the end dancing is a hobby. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Snowflake

I managed to purchase the charachter skirt on ebay, after you made us all aware so thank you!

Won't be long before our first day!

In the brutal world of ballet, is the 'assessing out' carried out at any stage or just at year end?

• Like 1

In September, we were told that it is assumed that all children will carry on to the end of year 6 but if there were any who weren't benefitting from the programme they would speak to the parents about whether they should continue.

Hi Loislane, glad to help and hope your DD has a lovely first day. It's such a fabulous experience for them, my dd has enjoyed it so much and will always treasure her JA memories from Y5. They don't get assessed out they stay until the end which is end of year 6, so don't worry, just enjoy. Our only regret is that we wish she applied for Y4 as we didn't know she could apply until Y5, she is the first girl ever to be a JA from her ballet school.

And then in year 6 they can apply to be a JA mid or for a place at a vocational ballet school, if they wish x

• Like 1

Hi Loislane, glad to help and hope your DD has a lovely first day. It's such a fabulous experience for them, my dd has enjoyed it so much and will always treasure her JA memories from Y5. They don't get assessed out they stay until the end which is end of year 6, so don't worry, just enjoy. Our only regret is that we wish she applied for Y4 as we didn't know she could apply until Y5, she is the first girl ever to be a JA from her ballet school.

And then in year 6 they can apply to be a JA mid or for a place at a vocational ballet school, if they wish x

I will echo this - my son has had  a place from the start of Y5 and is going onto Y6.

He has had a wonderful time and learned so much.  I did wonder how he'd respond to it - I thought this will be make or break time of whether he does love ballet genuinely and wants to continue/pursue it.  He really does love it, the classes, the work the whole caboodle.

The other parents at our JA's have been very welcoming and extremely supportive and kind, I have found the teacher to be very supportive as well.   To all the incoming parents - enjoy the experience  and welcome!

Edited by Squeaky
  • Like 3