RBS Junior Associate (JA) Questions

Alfred71

Well done cookiemonster. I would read nothing at all into it. Remember many centres only have 24 on offer and as far as I'm aware the chances of getting into WL are the same from all centres.

When my dd was a JA the children accepted to WL had only started in Y6 and there were plenty who had been there since Y4. It is all about potential at that age.

So enjoy your dd's success. Maybe the other Mum is unknowledgeable rather than mean?

Edited by sarahw

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a reply to Cookie Monster!! Congratulations your dd is amazing!! For a start to get into year 4 she's done brilliant!! I'm talking to you from previous experience!! My dd was offered a year 4 place with 24 sessions!! She was offered year 5 with 36, but we chose 24 again, and stayed at 24 for year 6!! We are now on our way to watch our dd at the summer fair at white lodge as a year 7!! So don't listen to anyone and enjoy your time!! Even now I miss our trips to Covent Garden!! ????????????????????????????????????

• Like 9

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies and welcoming me to this forum!

I am new to forums and also new to dance, or as I like to say progressing with my child ????

Thanks for the reassurance and explaining the difference between the sessions. I guess I was just curious after the comment I received. To be honest I still can't quite believe she has a place full stop so I am not bothered how many sessions she has. When we left the audition my daughter said it was the best day ever and can she audition again next year as never dreamt she would get in!! X

• Like 7

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies and welcoming me to this forum!

I am new to forums and also new to dance, or as I like to say progressing with my child ????

Thanks for the reassurance and explaining the difference between the sessions. I guess I was just curious after the comment I received. To be honest I still can't quite believe she has a place full stop so I am not bothered how many sessions she has. When we left the audition my daughter said it was the best day ever and can she audition again next year as never dreamt she would get in!! X

Hi

We are new to this forum and dance in general too. My DD started dancing 8 months ago and has just accepted a YR 5 place as a JA. We were asked if we wanted 24/32 sessions on the day and at application stage and we said 24 and that's what was offered.

Would love to hear from any other mums who's children will be in that class.

• Like 6

Hi Tootifruiti

On the application form initially on the internet it gave me the option. At the actual audition we were asked again and was told it was to help when they were organising classes.

The Mums infront of us all said they didn't mind which made me feel pressurised to say the same but I stuck to my guns as 32 would put me under pressure, we are 2 1/2 hrs away so train fares come in to it as well.

Perhaps ring them and well done to you all!!!

Hi Tootifruiti

On the application form initially on the internet it gave me the option. At the actual audition we were asked again and was told it was to help when they were organising classes.

The Mums infront of us all said they didn't mind which made me feel pressurised to say the same but I stuck to my guns as 32 would put me under pressure, we are 2 1/2 hrs away so train fares come in to it as well.

Perhaps ring them and well done to you all!!!

Thanks Loislane, I wonder if this was only for certain venues. I did not see that option and noone asked anyone about how many sessions on the day although dd auditioned at another venue closer to us, other commitments meant we had to phone up and switch which one we wanted a few weeks after the audition, incase she got it, to fit around other things.

I looked on RB website and some venues says 20 weeks, some 24, some 28 some 32 some a mix but leeds is 32. I am not a traditional 'ballet mum' and dd only started ballet in sept so this is totally new to us. Anyone else going to leeds?

I barely dare ask but what is a "traditional ballet mum"?? I expect I don't fit the bill but I am always grateful to the mums who are ex dancers and often help out with information. I am also in awe of them as they are so graceful and exude calm - again unlike me. Good luck to all those starting on this exciting path!

• Like 1

I agree with the above posts - number of sessions should not make a difference and some of the reasons for how many are offered are down to the teacher availability.

My DD did 24 in Year 5 with a few more offered in Year 6 & is off to WL this September.

Quality not quantity!!

• Like 2

There must still be a large contribution though? I thought I read that boarding is 30k a year somewhere? Off my scale totally!!

Only if you are lucky enough to earn so much money so as to be off the scale of means testing.

Suggest you put in a search for MDS funding, as there have been many discussions about this on the forum. One quite recently.

There used to be graph somewhere on the RBS site that gave an idea of contribution per level of income.

The most we paid one year was 6-7k which was hard but we asked to pay in instalments.

Well on RBS website you can find financial information under full time training.

You enter your income and it gives you estimated contribution.

If I was doing it all over again on my own income I'd be paying next to nothing!

As it is one year, when my Dh was ill we got some money back. The most expensive year was probably due to a combination of extra expenses not covered by MDS and wage increase.

• Like 1

Hi

We are new to this forum and dance in general too. My DD started dancing 8 months ago and has just accepted a YR 5 place as a JA. We were asked if we wanted 24/32 sessions on the day and at application stage and we said 24 and that's what was offered.

Would love to hear from any other mums who's children will be in that class.