RBS preliminary auditions

Zacharovitti

I'm just picking up on the fact that some people who are attending the auditions seemed to be somewhat puzzled by things like:

Which audition they are put into in the first place

The timing of auditions

The number system in auditions

What sort of body type they want

What sort of dance skills (or lack of) they want

None of which as far as I can see is worth being that secretive about......if indeed they are being secretive.

I don't think they are being secretive about the numbering system, the timing of auditions or which audition people are being put in. Someone here mentioned that they asked about the numbering system at their DD's audition and was told that it was in order of age. Maybe it's not always the same system, but they don't seem to be hiding anything there as they were happy to answer the question. Someone else was told that she had been placed in a later audition because she was travelling a longer distance, so again, they do seem to open to answering those questions.

As for dance skills, I'm pretty sure they accept complete beginners into year 7 as they start from the very basics, although realistically, most candidates will have had some kind of dance training beforehand. I'm sure the school would be happy to answer questions about that too though.

What sort of body type... that's a bit more subjective. We all know to some extent what a suitable physique for dance is and I would hope that anyone who does not have a suitable physique would be advised accordingly before applying (e.g. overweight girls) but they are also looking for physical facility, musicality and other requirements which they can't really judge unless they see the child in person. They're not being secretive about this, they probably don't even know themselves until they see it!

At most auditions (I'm not referring specifically to RBS) they say that no correspondence can be entered into in the event of an unsuccessful application, and they can't go into specifics about things like body type for the same reason.

As a parent I would only be concerned if the audition is authentic or not.........that is they are truly looking at the students attending with the view that anyone of them turning up MIGHT or COULD be offered a place......even though of course we know only a few will actually be available.

Otherwise if they are not taking some of the applicants that seriously it seems to me that it's better to audition less pupils and be more up front about the whole process so people don't truly waste their time.

I supposes I cannot really see the point of attending an audition if you really believe you haven't ANY chance at all in succeeding.

I'm sure the auditions are authentic, but at some point of the audition, whether that is at the beginning or the end, they have to come to a decision about each candidate. For some candidates, it might well be that soon after seeing them walk in the room, they decide that that particular candidate is a "no" because she doesn't have the right poise, way of moving or physical facility. In theory they could eliminate the candidate at that moment, but I don't think anyone would prefer that they kicked people out the minute they decided they didn't want them!

About the laughing during the audition, I have seen this reported a few times and not just this year. Obviously I wasn't there and while I don't doubt that the judges WERE laughing, I wonder if it is possible that they were laughing at something between themselves and not actually at a candidate. When you're in an audition, you do feel vulnerable and exposed and you're also looking for any minute reaction from the judges that would indicate whether they like you, and it is understandable that if you see them laughing you might think it is at you or another candidate when in reality it might not be.

• Like 9

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be pretty sure they aren't laughing "at" the girls too.

I'm sure they are much too professional for that.

Probably as I think another poster suggested they are just trying to lighten the atmosphere and smiling and laughing among themselves to help the students feel more relaxed. Perhaps slightly older students would automatically sense this but maybe some of the younger ones could misinterpret this.

• Like 4

I'd like to just chip in with the fact that I'm thrilled my son had the opportunity to train as a JA and then at WL in yrs 7-9, despite the ending not being what we would have wished for.  We met some wonderful people and he had an experience that will stay with him forever (in a mostly good way - his homesickness was bad!!).  The staff were very caring and it's a lovely place - and we still go back to visit when the summer fair's on (although there have been lots of staff changes, so we know fewer and fewer of them these days!).  It doesn't suit everyone, but then no school does and it's a strange situation you suddenly find yourselves in.  However, as others have said, you don't have to accept the place if you don't feel ready for it, and even if you do accept it, you don't have to stay (one of my son's friends left after a very short time - of his own volition - and they met again at an upper school - he's now a wonderful dancer with a British ballet company).

• Like 14

Well my experiences with the RBS so far have all been 100% positive, my daughter really enjoyed her audition and brought nothing negative away from it, judges were friendly and smiled at everyone, the lines were not rotated but that was because they were saw 4 at a time from what I can gather and in my dd's audition everyone could be seen by the panel, there was nobody placed behind the panel and there was no laughing just friendly smiles. I think it's nice to hear others experiences but to bear in mind that if they have negative views/experiences then it doesn't mean it's 1) the schools fault or 2) means that you will also have a negative experience. Auditions are an exciting and important time and I think we often try to read too much into what happens in them and try to put reason to everything involved and it easily grows from a natural curiosity to guess work and speculation.

I would like to wish everyone waiting on results the best of luck and hope your child gets the results they wish for.....I shall be looking forward to my dd's results letter and having the dreaded audition over and done with and feeling like we can move on with our lives and stop holding our breath :D .........GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!......

• Like 14

Now THE WAIT! They said at the audition 2-3 weeks and 2 weeks will be tomorrow :-) Also from what I remember last year those who auditioned in Bath got the results exactly 2 weeks later so ... Could be tomorrow :-)

Good luck everybody! as you can tell from my post I'd really like the letter (email?) to arrive ASAP, whatever the result - just to get it and go back to normal life for a month or so.

How is it normally done? Do we hear all together or in order of auditions (so those from Manchester first) or "yes" first and then "nos"?

I'm sure somebody's heart will beat faster after noticing a new post in "RBS preliminary audition" (mine would!) - sorry to disappoint, no results yet, just me sharing the agonising wait with you, sorry!

• Like 4

Hi Happymum - the wait is agonising isn't it?  Last year the results came by post not email - that was just as bad.  As I recall the results came out in order of the auditions! There has been a lot of negative comments about WL on here lately but we are very happy with it.  Sure, there are things that are great and things that could be done a bit better but my DS loves it and seems to be having a wonderful time.  He never has a bad word to say about it, both dance and academic are small classes and the pastoral staff are all very caring.  I certainly don't feel his confidence is being knocked, but he tends not to take corrections/criticism personally.  I think in any dance school less confident children will find it harder as, by necessity, there is less time spent on telling them what is good, and more time spent on telling them what needs attention.  But that's the nature of dance isn't it?  Even principals get corrections, I imagine!

Zoo

• Like 8

Thank you Zoo, good to know that your DS enjoys his training at WL and that you as a parent are happy with it as well. Good to hear positive comments (as well as it was important to hear the negative ones ). I'm sure there are plenty of other parents and children happy with their training at WL.

And thank you for the info re: results.

So first of all good luck to those waiting for Manchester results! Do let us know!

• Like 2

I will also chip in with a positive comment on behalf of RBS. My son is happy and thriving. Mr Powney has also come in for a lot of critisism (on the other thread about students lacking in motivation) but I find him to be a strong leader but approachable to both parents and students. There really are some wonderful staff who all try to do their jobs to the best of their ability. As with anywhere there are a few things we could have a moan about but really on the grand scheme of things it has been a wonderful experience. As for the auditions this time round, my DD came out beaming with nothing but positive things to say about how the audition was run. All children were looked at in lines of 4. Hang on in there for results. We have upper school and lower school results to wait for at the same time argh!!

• Like 11

My ds was also very happy at RBS although its some years ago now!

It really provided the best environment for him to be himself. He made lots of mini videos there of him and his mates getting up to mischief in Richmond Park!

It wasnt all plain sailing (what life is?) but I dont believe any secondary school would have suited ds better.

• Like 6

Slight change of subject but can anyone tell me how often children come home from White Lodge as read different reports, some saying 3 weekly as with tring/Elmhurst and someone else said fortnightly?! Could someone with a child there please confirm for me....thank you :)

Hi Lema. The kids can actually come home every weekend if they wish. They can leave after dance class on Saturday at lunchtime and back Sunday late afternoon before the park gates close at dusk. Exeat weekends are when they can leave on the Friday until Sunday. There are not the same number of exeat weekends as at Elmhurst where they are every 3 weeks. I would say one a term really. We have a 5 week stretch at the moment without an exeat, and it was the same before Christmas I think. That can be tough when you live far away and they can't get home on a Saturday. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Hi all just to let you know Manchester upper school audition results are out for royal . We received an email with results. It was a no for my dd but at least the wait is over and she really enjoyed her day . Good luck to everyone x

Jade, so sorry for your DD, but happy she enjoyed the experience. It's so difficult to get in...I hope she will soon move on.

Belljul, ZooZoo and all the others, thank you for posting your positive experiences! They are as precious as the negative ones: living overseas it is very difficult for us to have a clear feeling of how things are going on at RBS (and at Uk vocational schools in general), as we can't attend open days, events etc. and do not have any contact with parents having children there. So thank you so much!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Jade - but lovely to hear you taking it so well.

ic - it varies a lot (about how many they take to finals) - depending, I suppose, on how many they see that they want another look at (and a new director to "complicate" matters - he might have a different way of doing things).  But for girls - year 7 - anywhere between 25 and 40 - older years might only have 2 or 3 for each year (maybe a couple more).  Fewer boys usually, but for year 7 somewhere between 20 and 30 (might have been few than 20 on the odd year too).

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you news jade and boyohboy, but there will be far far more no's than yeses to come :( I hope your children take the news ok and continue to follow their dreams, a no us only a no for today!! Fingers crossed for those still waiting on results, we'll all be twitching every time we see a new email in our inboxes now!!

• Like 1

It is a yes for us for white lodge finals for year 7. I am truly amazed. Had to go into school to let my daughter know as she was so nervous about the results. She was absolutely thrilled!!!

So sorry to here of the no's but as it has been said it really is only a no for now. There are many success stories out there of children reapplying and getting a yes further down the line.

• Like 20

Wow twoballerinas0004 are you our first yes?! How very exciting and a massive congratulations on you daughters achievement!! Bet she was over the moon!!! :):) can I just ask where she done her audition?? Are you also Manchester?

• Like 1

Thanks twoballetinas, so looking like all the results are from Manchester so maybe they will do a different audition centre each day...guess we will soon know!! Well I wish your daughter all the best for finals and now that wait is over for you but I suppose now another one begins ????

Oh no gowiththeflo I'm very sorry to hear this, best wishes to your dd for her future and I'm glad she's not let it upset her!!

Balletqueen a big congratulations to you and your dd, you must be so proud....I just couldn't imagine getting a yes!! Must be wonderful!! Best wishes for finals....very exciting :D