RBS preliminary auditions

Zacharovitti

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to hear of the nos posted here and wish you all luck for the future.  Congratulations to the yeses!  Irishballetmom I am surprised, actually, that your daughter did not make finals having seen the video you posted on another thread - she certainly has the "look" for Royal in my (ballet uneducated though) opinion.  I think it goes to show how tricky it is for year 8 when there are so few places.  

What a lovely thing to say ZooZoo! I would say with us it is the number of hours she has dancing, it was only two hours a week up till this September, if she is being compared to current year 7s dancing daily at White Lodge I am sure she is well behind that standard, but we are working on upping her hours and will see how the dream progresses. She still is as obsessed as ever and very pleased with her wait list spot, I like to think seeing her in person at audition helped that! We are happy we did it!

• Like 2

It was a no for us for finals in yr 9, she was a little upset having made the finals in the previous two years, and maybe got a little carried away. She is fine now though, and will soon be going to a full rehearsal with MA's at ROH, so that will ease the blow too. Priority waiting list for SS, with hundreds of others. :D

• Like 2

Congratulations Happy Mum. You are in exactly the same position as we were 2 years ago. DS went on to be offered YR7 places at Tring Elmhurst and WL. He is now gearing up for appraisals for yr 9. The worrying doesnt get any easier. If anything it gets worse as now his friends, girlfriend and teachers plus his second home are all at WL.

Sorry to all the children who did'nt get the news they were hoping for.

• Like 1

Well done Happymum! I thought so :-) A no for my dd but she has summer school so is very happy about that. Well done to all the yes's and keep going everyone else!

Thank you Piccolo :-)

Sorry it was a no for your DD, it's so tough for Y8, isn't it. Great news about Summer School though - they might still change their mind after seeing her dancing there :-)

• Like 1

Congratulations to your DD Happymum, I have followed your journey with interest since your first post after your DDs grade one ballet exam all that time ago. She obviously has something special

with all those finals!

Thank you Dramascientist! I have absolutely no idea what I could have writen all that years ago! Actually I thought I joined the forum much later then that... Time flies by! I'm now officially addicted to it!

Congratulations to your DD Happymum, I have followed your journey with interest since your first post after your DDs grade one ballet exam all that time ago. She obviously has something special

with all those finals!

Thank you Dramascientist! I have absolutely no idea what I could have writen all that years ago! Actually I thought I joined the forum much later then that... Time flies by! I'm now officially addicted to it!

Hy all, it's a no for y8 too.......and selected waiting list for summer school. It's the third year on SWL, so we have no hope anymore.... DD is actually devastated, even if she knew how hard it was for y8....She didn't cry, she just closed the door of her room behind her and didn't want to speak about it anymore.....Then she came out saying that she didn't want to go to her ballet class as it was useless, she will never go anywhere, she will never be a dancer, she will never have another chance.....Of course I tried to tell her what I have read and learnt from the forum and from your own experiences, but, at the moment, it seems to be worst: she said "these are only mums who try to console, we must be realistic mum, I will never be able to make it". I felt so sorry for her.....

Then she prepared her bag and went to the ballet studio.....

Congratulations to all the yes, I wish your DC all the best for their future, and for the "no"......I hope their disappointment could turn in strong determination to not give up.....

• Like 3

Zacharovitti, I can imagine how awful you must be feeling. I'm sorry. Maybe leave your DD to sort out her feelings over the next few days. But then let her know that yes, we are maybe mums who want to console, but many of us are also mums who have danced or taught and are mums of dancing children (recreational, vocational and professional) who understand the challenges our kids face at every turn. The advice on this forum is so supportive, but also full of common sense and experience. I'm happy to hear that she went back to the ballet studio - your girl clearly has a strong spirit :) She'll be fine. Hugs. x

• Like 8

Massive hugs for the no's, fab news for the yes's!! It's definitely an emotional roller coaster!! It brings back fantastic but scary memories from last year!! My DD got to finals for Tring, Elmhurst and Royal????. Yes it's a brilliant place to be, but if you think waiting for letters is traumatic now, just wait for finals!! Hold onto your seats, because you're going on a massive ride!!!!

• Like 3

Zacharovitti, I can imagine how awful you must be feeling. I'm sorry. Maybe leave your DD to sort out her feelings over the next few days. But then let her know that yes, we are maybe mums who want to console, but many of us are also mums who have danced or taught and are mums of dancing children (recreational, vocational and professional) who understand the challenges our kids face at every turn. The advice on this forum is so supportive, but also full of common sense and experience. I'm happy to hear that she went back to the ballet studio - your girl clearly has a strong spirit :) She'll be fine. Hugs. x

• Like 1

Hy all, it's a no for y8 too.......and selected waiting list for summer school. It's the third year on SWL, so we have no hope anymore.... DD is actually devastated, even if she knew how hard it was for y8....She didn't cry, she just closed the door of her room behind her and didn't want to speak about it anymore.....Then she came out saying that she didn't want to go to her ballet class as it was useless, she will never go anywhere, she will never be a dancer, she will never have another chance.....Of course I tried to tell her what I have read and learnt from the forum and from your own experiences, but, at the moment, it seems to be worst: she said "these are only mums who try to console, we must be realistic mum, I will never be able to make it". I felt so sorry for her.....

Congratulations to all the yes, I wish your DC all the best for their future, and for the "no"......I hope their disappointment could turn in strong determination to not give up.....

I am so sorry to hear this and know how you feel. My daughter also had a no and there were some tears and "nothing good happens to me". It is particularly hard when others she knows get a yes. This will be our 4th no from the RBS, I am not sure why she puts herself through it but you have to admire persistence. I like to support her however I don't want to be a delusional parent either and be realistic with her. I don't really know what they are looking for and while she does well in her ballet exams and at festivals (so she must have some talent) I can see at the auditions when they are warming up that there are some very gifted dancers with the desired physical proportions and I just think we are just not really in the same league.

I console myself with the "she performed well" but I suspect that everyone gets this! She would most dearly love to be an MA more than anything but this is her last chance and as I have followed this forum in the past we did not get the "strongly being considered for MA's" that I know others have got so I am not holding out much hope and preparing myself. 

Can I just say a really big well done to all those who have got a yes. I know that this can be the beginning of a very tough journey however it is in itself a great achievement so enjoy the moment- My husband likens it to getting into the Manchester United first team! if you want a football analogy Congratulations

• Like 3

Sandsfoot sorry to see that your daughter didn't get the news that she was hoping for. 4 attempts at RBS shows how tenacious she is and I am sure that she will bounce back from this disappointment again. RBS is only one route to follow,there are many more and they might just be a better fit for your daughter. Have you looked at other Associate programmes? I don't know where you are based but maybe have a look at Cecchetti,Central School of Ballet,Tring CBA and South East Scholars. If you are based elsewhere perhaps others on the forums can help with suggestions. My daughter was an SA with RBS and not all the girls came through the RBS Associate programme. After a couple of years training somewhere else,if she wanted to she could try for  RBS again. Good luck to you both and all best wishes.

• Like 3

So sorry to read of your "no" Zacharovitti, it's so difficult for year 8. I'm sorry your daughter was so upset. It's understandable because even if you know the chance is small, you can't help thinking of the possibility of being chosen. If your daughter's studio is the one I think it is (you have given some hints in your previous posts) she is really getting the very highest quality of training and her dream is far from over. When I was her age, I had not even started ballet lessons, but I still made it to vocational upper school and went on to dance professionally. There are other schools out there, but even RBS is not out reach for the future.

Well done to everyone who got a yes, and to everyone who got a no, don't give up, there will still be plenty of opportunites to follow your dream!

• Like 1

Congratulations to all the Yes's so far, and so sorry to hear about the other No's.

Sandsfoot, sorry to hear about your No. My DS also got the "performed well" comment, but didn't get a "strongly being considered for MA's", although in fact the MA is what we were really hoping for (didn't really ever, ever, expect a WL place!).

I am a bit taken aback in reading your post as I didn't know that they wrote that on some of the e-mails. I was consoling myself that we were still in the running for consideration for a MA place but now I guess I was wrong!

Does anyone else have any insight into this?