RBS preliminary auditions

Zacharovitti

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No vonrothbart, in the grand scheme of things and life it doesn't matter, however I thought this was a discussion page where we could all share our experiences. It's unlikely unless we work at the rbs that we will never fully understand all the ins and outs but at times that doesn't stop us wondering things.

Well if this is the thread for wondering, I'll add my penny's worth too...! I've been wondering how the MA audition groups are split. I noticed that some children auditioning for year 8 were put in group one and some in group two. I wonder if this is because of age or number of classes per week & exams passed...?

I agree, Miracle- on my email for upper school audition, it says that audition times are allocated based upon distance from audition venue (I live 100miles from London so they've given me an afternoon audition, presumably to allow time to get to the audition- I think that's very considerate!)

Edited by swanprincess

I was thinking the same sarahw. I know the tendancy to analyse everything, to see if we can glean any clues but the positioning in an audition, I'm pretty sure, won't help anyone. I have to say I'm pretty surprised the rows weren't rotated. My son is the 3rd generation dancer in our family and we have all steered well clear of RBS, so I have no direct experience of the school but from everything I have ever heard I think they are a complete law unto themselves and you'll proably tie yourselves in knots trying to make sense of the whole process.

The whole industry is a law unto itself!

Why cannot the RBS be more transparent then about what they are doing in these auditions?

It really shouldn't be such a problem for them to share this in the 21 st Century!!

What should they be more transparent about? The numbering? Ultimately it's just a way of identifying people. It doesn't really matter whether it's done in age order, alphabetical order or at random. They're probably wise to keep as much as possible a mystery to avoid complaints from parents or candidates.

I was surprised to read here that they didn't rotate the class, especially if it seems some candidates were less visible to them but it's also quite common in some auditions to arrange applications or numbers on a table in a way that corresponds to the position of the candidate in the class (if that makes sense!)

• Like 1

I'm just picking up on the fact that some people who are attending the auditions seemed to be somewhat puzzled by things like:

Which audition they are put into in the first place

The timing of auditions

The number system in auditions

What sort of body type they want

What sort of dance skills (or lack of) they want

None of which as far as I can see is worth being that secretive about......if indeed they are being secretive.

As a parent I would only be concerned if the audition is authentic or not.........that is they are truly looking at the students attending with the view that anyone of them turning up MIGHT or COULD be offered a place......even though of course we know only a few will actually be available.

Otherwise if they are not taking some of the applicants that seriously it seems to me that it's better to audition less pupils and be more up front about the whole process so people don't truly waste their time.

I supposes I cannot really see the point of attending an audition if you really believe you haven't ANY chance at all in succeeding.

Edited by LinMM

I definitely think the auditions are authentic. Do you think all the people involved from RBS like to spend days, including sundays, to see hundreds of children for nothing? You can argue that the whole process is a making money system: yes it might be but, as they ask you the audition fee at the very moment you send your application form, they could make a pre-selection on the photos you have to send, if they really don't want to look at every child. In that case they could receive all the audition fees and spend less days auditioning. I don't thinl this is the case. I believe they want to look at everyone, because they can spot in the middle of a moltitude someone that catch their attention for whatever reason. It could be for physique, facilities, a particular way of standing, looking, performing, smiling, moving, acting or whatever else. I think is totally useless to try to understand what they are looking for or how the whole process works, as maybe there is not a rule or a unique answer. The panel is not always the same and is made by human beings: they of course have to search for some necessary standards such as physique, facilities ecc., but for the rest.....it is a sort of falling in love with someone....you cannot explain why X and not Y.....and there are no rules on it.

• Like 10

I definitely think the auditions are authentic. Do you think all the people involved from RBS like to spend days, including sundays, to see hundreds of children for nothing? You can argue that the whole process is a making money system: yes it might be but, as they ask you the audition fee at the very moment you send your application form, they could make a pre-selection on the photos you have to send, if they really don't want to look at every child. In that case they could receive all the audition fees and spend less days auditioning. I don't thinl this is the case. I believe they want to look at everyone, because they can spot in the middle of a moltitude someone that catch their attention for whatever reason. It could be for physique, facilities, a particular way of standing, looking, performing, smiling, moving, acting or whatever else. I think is totally useless to try to understand what they are looking for or how the whole process works, as maybe there is not a rule or a unique answer. The panel is not always the same and is made by human beings: they of course have to search for some necessary standards such as physique, facilities ecc., but for the rest.....it is a sort of falling in love with someone....you cannot explain why X and not Y.....and there are no rules on it.

Thank you Zacharovitti & taxi4ballet - I agree with you both. Again, I think my post is with regards to the 'chatting & laughing' which made my daughter felt offended as this is her dream and so are your dd's. I was merely asking if this is the case for some. Because if it's the case, we can make a difference and give RBS feedback for future candidates. I guess it was shock to me that a world renowned ballet school/company would behave like this and after all they were once candidates themselves to RBS or ballet school. 

Shall we end this thread with GOOD LUCK to everyone and one way or another I wish your dd's to be on dancing away on stage - keep us posted! x  

p.s. i hope the next post will be a 'yes' she is in!!!

• Like 2

Well that's what I did think the auditions were about myself taxi but after reading about some people's experiences here.....like girls not even being able to be seen properly ....no rotation of lines etc ....I just began to wonder.....

• Like 1

My son is the 3rd generation dancer in our family and we have all steered well clear of RBS,

That really interests me Harwell. Was it by choice or otherwise, as most people seem to think of them as the pinnacle? 

Edited by Vonrothbart

There's not really a straight forward answer to that but I will try and give you our reasoning. Generally, we have tended to be late developers physically, we are tall with relatively low muscle tone which has taken longer to train and build strength. We have all been of the belief that we will get there, but in our own time and don't believe the training at RBS would give us the time needed to develop gradually enough. Either ruining us physically or mentally along the way. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to be their 'type' but but realised I stood more chance not following that path. There is more than one way to skin a cat and dreams are one thing, but this has to be tempered with reality.

• Like 7

There's not really a straight forward answer to that but I will try and give you our reasoning. Generally, we have tended to be late developers physically, we are tall with relatively low muscle tone which has taken longer to train and build strength. We have all been of the belief that we will get there, but in our own time and don't believe the training at RBS would give us the time needed to develop gradually enough. Either ruining us physically or mentally along the way. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to be their 'type' but but realised I stood more chance not following that path. There is more than one way to skin a cat and dreams are one thing, but this has to be tempered with reality.

I've sent you a PM Harwell.

Just to finally say very good luck to all who have attended auditions and lets hope there are some nice and hopefully unexpected surprises to come in the next few weeks......when do you get to hear anyway?

And for those who are not successful right now ....I think it would be great to bear Harwels post (183) in mind!!

• Like 4

I'm reading the posts on here and the "British students luck motivation" about the training in RBS and it makes me sad. I don't really look forward to get the "yes" letter any more :-( not that I was expecting a "yes" but I don't think now I'd like my DD to go there... So sad

• Like 1

I'm reading the posts on here and the "British students luck motivation" about the training in RBS and it makes me sad. I don't really look forward to get the "yes" letter any more :-( not that I was expecting a "yes" but I don't think now I'd like my DD to go there... So sad

Was having similar thoughts Happymum to be honest!! Mixed feelings :/

Hi further to reading lots of people's experiences on this ballet forum. . . All are varied and uniquely personal to each child and families experiences. I think it's really important to remember that not one school or particular approach to training is always appropriate for any one child. As we are all aware there are so few places both in schools and companies as to the ratio of children trying to get into these places therefore with such an enormous pool to choose from it's no wonder it's so competitive.

We have always been made aware from the Royal ballet through JAs and Mids that only 1 or 2 children may in the end ever make it onto a professional stage. If we draw parallels to other people at the top in the arts, theatre and even sport there are only ever a small number up there in proportion to people trying to make it to the top.

I suppose it also depends on what the individual goals and dreams are for the children who are wanting to be professional dancers.

Ax

• Like 6

Hi further to reading lots of people's experiences on this ballet forum. . . All are varied and uniquely personal to each child and families experiences. I think it's really important to remember that not one school or particular approach to training is always appropriate for any one child. As we are all aware there are so few places both in schools and companies as to the ratio of children trying to get into these places therefore with such an enormous pool to choose from it's no wonder it's so competitive.

We have always been made aware from the Royal ballet through JAs and Mids that only 1 or 2 children may in the end ever make it onto a professional stage. If we draw parallels to other people at the top in the arts, theatre and even sport there are only ever a small number up there in proportion to people trying to make it to the top.

I suppose it also depends on what the individual goals and dreams are for the children who are wanting to be professional dancers.

Ax

Amber,are you saying that people from the Royal`s JA`s and Mids classes have told children or parents there that only 1 or 2 are maybe going to make it as professional ballet dancers? From out of the ones studying on those particular programmes?

Realism is one thing, crushing confidence is something else entirely! I think Sadielou's comments on the other thread 'british students lack motivation' (?) is very sobering and very sad. But something I have been aware of for at least 30 years - but unfortunately there is alot of that in the ballet world, not just RBS. The use of positivity when dealing with children and young adults is a rare thing in the ballet world. When I left dancing to go to one of our top universities I could not believe the difference in approach. From never being good enough to being praised for being clever and good at what you did was a revelation. That is the very reason I never wanted my son to dance, but here I am going through it all again in his behalf. I just hope my experiences and the resilience I found can help him navigate this crazy profession.

• Like 2

Happymum if you receive the "yes" letter celebrate and know that your daughter has done incredibly well. It won't mean that you have to accept but you will know that your daughter has something special - be guided by her and your instinct where her talent will be best nurtured. ... Other peoples experiences may well prove to be different from your own.
  • Like 10

If any of you get the "Yes" letter then it is definitely something to celebrate, it is a wonderful thing to be one of the chosen few. Please note that I did say at the beginning of my original post that Mr Powney has been in the job a very short time so there is every chance that he will implement a totally new regime and we will see a change for the good, but of course it will take time. No doubt those in year 7 WL and those coming into year 7 will have a totally different experience to us. Being at the upper end of the school we have had a total change of boarding regime twice, a complete change of those in charge on the Educational side and of course a total change of the ballet regime, all some what unsettling. We also, as a year group were left reeling when 8 of our year were assessed out last Feb, of course a couple were expected but the rest were a total shock. That is why and I hope he sticks to it, that Mr Powney has promised that the assessment process will be far more open this year. If your child gets into WL that is a fantastic achievement, but know that some of the other schools offer just as good training and if you are lucky enough to be offered more that one school, you should go with your heart and which school you really feel is the best place for child to grow up and be nurtured. Do not just be swayed by the kudos of the RBS name. Every child and experience is different.

• Like 11

Amber,are you saying that people from the Royal`s JA`s and Mids classes have told children or parents there that only 1 or 2 are maybe going to make it as professional ballet dancers? From out of the ones studying on those particular programmes?

Hi I'm going by our own experience of my DD's first day at JAs when the teacher was telling the children a lovely story about growing and developing as a dancer and did make them aware that even though this was a fabulous journey they were just about to embark on it was a long one of hard work and commitment! It wasn't delivered in a way of being negative more so being realistic! My DD certainly didn't waver in her own dream it's common sense to know that not everyone becomes that prima ballerina. Some of it is probably down to luck as well as other obvious factors.

I think from a personal perspective it would be cruel to fill children's heads full of promises of what the school can give at the end of any training. . . . it would certainly leave them wide open to further criticism than is already cast.

Ax

• Like 3

Thank you all for comment. Started to think more realistically - why even get upset if it's probably going to be a "no" or if it's a "yes" it doesn't have to be accepted. I think those lucky who go to finals will be able to make a more thought through decision after talking to staff, seeing the WL and "feeling" the place.

Just - to end optimistically - wanted to wish good luck to the year 6 girls auditioning in London on Sunday (I think that's the last WL audition still to take place?). And good luck to all DC and parents waiting for results. From what we were told it shouldn't be more then 12 days :-)

• Like 3